US TV Coverage 2017-2018

Sylvia

TBD
No skating on my NBCSN channel. :(
Nor mine. Sigh. I don't have the Olympic Channel so was hoping to see the delayed broadcasts on NBCSN tonight.

ETA: Start time for FD is now 7:34 pm Eastern time.

Last edited:

meggonzo

Banned Member
There was a basketball game that ran late. I'm not sure if they'll show the full broadcasts or not, or if something will get cut. It seems they are showing all of dance.

Sylvia

TBD
NBC recap (singles focus) is from 3-5 pm Eastern today with Terry Gannon, Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski (in studio).

Last edited:

Allskate

I've had tons of Europeans on NBCSN. It wasn't US skating but it is figure skating.

I wasn't saying that NBCSN never broadcasts skating. I was referring to the fact that skating wasn't being broadcast at the time I posted that comment, even though it was scheduled to be on at that time. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who experienced that problem.

Sylvia

TBD
Cross-posting the 4CC TV coverage schedule here and in the 2018 4CC subforum in Kiss & Cry (copied from an NBC press release):

Date Time (ET) Coverage Network
Weds., Jan. 24
Noon Short Dance** NBCSN
2 p.m. Ladies’ Short Program* NBCSN
11:30 p.m. Free Dance Olympic Channel

Thurs., Jan. 25
6 a.m. Men’s Short Program Olympic Channel
Noon Free Dance* NBCSN
2 p.m. Men’s Short Program NBCSN
11 p.m. Pairs’ Free Skate Olympic Channel

Fri., Jan. 26
5:30 a.m. Ladies’ Free Skate Olympic Channel
Noon Pairs’ Free Skate* NBCSN
2 p.m. Ladies’ Free Skate* NBCSN

Sat., Jan. 27
2 a.m. Men’s Free Skate Olympic Channel
2:30 p.m. Recap NBC
Midnight Men’s Free Skate** NBCSN

Sun., Jan. 28
9 a.m. Recap NBCSN

* Same-day delay
**Next-day delay

Commentators are Ben Agosto, Charlie White (filling in for Ryan Bradley who is coaching Angela Wang in Taipei) and Chris Vosters, a figure skating commentating rookie, according to Ben's tweet last night.

Last edited:

A.H.Black

Commentators are Ben Agosto, Charlie White (filling in for Ryan Bradley who is coaching Angela Wang in Taipei) and Chris Vosters, a figure skating commentating rookie, according to Ben's tweet last night.

Vosters has been trying and isn't bad. Unfortunately, when I first tuned in (after work) to the Ladies short, Mariah had just finished her short program and Mr. Vosters mentioned her triple axel. WHAT?! Luckily Charlie corrected the mistake a few seconds later. An understandable mistake but one that should not be repeated.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Mr. Ben (Chris) has a nasty habit of calling the initial dance program the “short skate.”

Susan1

Not t.v. - but I didn't know where else to put this. I saw a special People magazine figure skating edition at the checkout at Kroger. I was in the express lane just buying paper towels, so I didn't get to look much, but I saw pictures of Dick Button, Peggy Fleming, Tara, Sasha, Sale and Pelletier (so it's not just USA). And then the later part is current skaters.

Seerek

All of the regular NBCSN/Olympic Channel hosts must be unavailable preparing for Pyeongchang, as Chris Vosters is normally on Big Ten Network (owned by FOX) covering women's college games.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
All of the regular NBCSN/Olympic Channel hosts must be unavailable preparing for Pyeongchang, as Chris Vosters is normally on Big Ten Network (owned by FOX) covering women's college games.
The main networks just don't have the sheer number of on air people needed to cover everything in this age of live streaming. Just looking at a typical day, they need a minimum of 7-10 pairs of sports commentators (announcer/color or PBP/color for hockey) in addition to the anchor booth, interviews, and "soft" reporting people. IIRC, some of the minor networks sent people to Sochi and those people have since moved on to network jobs. From what I've heard this weekend, Chris V seems to be a quick study.

A.H.Black

Vosters and Charlie White will be doing the 4K coverage for the Olympics. This was a good rehearsal for them. Vosters needs to learn more about skating. Charlie needs to talk less during the programs - he also has a bit of a hard edge to his voice that could be softened.

mollymgr

NBC is using 89 people for broadcast on TV and digital media.
http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...ic-winter-games-from-pyeongchang-south-korea/
Digital media content is totally different and has more uninterrupted coverage. I'm happy there is going to be a lot of coverage. But that means they need more resources.

I think Chris Vosters did a good job. He did make a few errors here and there, but still very impressive for his first time calling skating.:eek: This might be trivial but he seemed knowledgeable about music since he pronounced all the program music correctly and even offered some insight. He also managed to add a little bit of humor too.:lol:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
The only time Vosters tripped up on the music was when he said the soundtrack of The Piano was written for Jason Brown. :lol: He obviously wasn't informed that Jason had gone back to an old program.

Between now and the Olympics I'd like to see Charlie study more Ben commentary and less Ryan commentary. He has some of the Bradley disease of telling us things we can see with our own eyes.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
The only time Vosters tripped up on the music was when he said the soundtrack of The Piano was written for Jason Brown. :lol: He obviously wasn't informed that Jason had gone back to an old program.

Between now and the Olympics I'd like to see Charlie study more Ben commentary and less Ryan commentary. He has some of the Bradley disease of telling us things we can see with our own eyes.

Not just that instance. Vosters showed what a moron he is about music many times, e.g., “...and she will skate to musical selections by one Giaccomo Puccini...(spoken haltingly)...” LOL!

Sylvia

TBD
Four Continents broadcasts this weekend (times are Eastern):

Sat., Jan. 27
2:30 to 4:30 p.m. Recap NBC
Midnight to 2 am - Men’s Free Skate NBCSN

Sun., Jan. 28
9 to 11 a.m. Recap NBCSN (NBC repeat, I assume)

Commentators are Charlie White and Chris Vosters.

ETA:
Not just that instance. Vosters showed what a moron he is about music many times, e.g., “...and she will skate to musical selections by one Giaccomo Puccini...(spoken haltingly)...” LOL!
I just heard Vosters' intro of Miyahara's FS and he didn't sound like "a moron" at all, just someone reading off his notes that "she skates to a composition by Italian opera composer, Giacomo Puccini." For a figure skating "rookie" I think Vosters has been fine in his announcer role from what I've heard so far.

Last edited:

mollymgr

:slinkaway I do remember that one now that you mention it. It was so damn late my brain did a slight :huh: and moved on.:lol:Ben has been tweeting all kinds of good things about him, so let's hope he stays normal. I liked him overall.

Seerek

Not to mention Chris V. had Charlie White address on what several here have commented is a bad habit/tendency on Shoma Uno's quad flip technique. Having less commercials does allow for a little more discussion.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Vosters’ music-related quips were mostly labored and moronic. Isn’t it the simplest thing to say “She skates to Mme Butterfly”? Or “He skates to Vivaldi’s Four Seasons.” Furthermore, the music for each skater can be read in the on-screen description, as each takes the ice. Ha ha!

rfisher

Let the skating begin
The Olympic channel is showing the event, but they start on the hour so early groups will not be shown depending on the event start time.

Sylvia

TBD
NBCSN is re-running the Worlds Ladies SP from noon-2 pm ET now (last 2 groups).

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...ure-skating-championships-coverage-this-week/
Steve Schlanger calls the 2018 World Figure Skating Championships joined by 2011 U.S. champion Ryan Bradley for the ladies’ pairs’ and men’s competitions, and by 2006 ice dance silver medalist Tanith White for the ice dance competition.

White will call the recap show on NBC, joined by 1998 Olympic gold medalist Tara Lipinski, and three-time U.S. figure skating champion Johnny Weir.
Commentary is all from the studio, not in Milan.

NBC Sports Group’s schedule for the 2018 ISU World Figure Skating Championships (all times ET, subject to change):

Date Time (ET) Event Network

Wed., Mar. 21 6 a.m.-noon Ladies’ Short (LIVE) Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA
Wed., Mar. 21 Noon-2 p.m. Ladies’ Short NBCSN
Wed., Mar. 21 2-6 p.m. Pairs’ Short (LIVE) Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA

Thurs., Mar. 22 5-10 a.m. Men’s Short (LIVE) Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA
Thurs., Mar. 22 Noon-2 p.m. Men’s Short NBCSN
Thurs., Mar. 22 3- 5 p.m. Pairs’ Free (LIVE) NBCSN

Fri., Mar. 23 6-11:30 a.m. Short Dance (LIVE) Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA
Fri., Mar. 23 1:30-3:30 p.m. Short Dance NBCSN
Fri., Mar. 23 3:30-5:30 p.m. Ladies’ Free (LIVE) NBCSN

Sat., Mar. 24 5-9 a.m. Men’s Free (LIVE) Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA
Sat., Mar. 24 10:30 a.m.-noon Free Dance (LIVE) Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA
Sat., Mar. 24 Noon-2 p.m. Free Dance (LIVE) NBCSN
Sat., Mar. 24 5-7 p.m. Men’s Free NBCSN

Sun., Mar. 25 4:30-7 p.m. Gala Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA

Sun., April 8 3-6 p.m. 2018 ISU World Figure Skating Championships NBC

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information