(Updated) Denis Ten Murdered: was stabbed in the thigh

Japanfan

To be honest - and this is tough to say because most would react as Denis did when confronted with thieves - your car is not worth your life - and too bad he simply could not have turned from the scene of the crime and ran to the cops.

When he decided to confront and intervene, it cost him his life. For mirrors on a car. It was not worth it - he should have let them steal the whole thing and stay safe.

Over side view mirrors he is dead. Incredible.

Unfortunately people often don't stay calm and think rationally in such a situation. One panics and adrenalin starts pumping - and the person just reacts instinctively.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Yes, and thanks. No one actually knows for sure how they would react in such a situation. When it's your car, the normal reaction is to walk forward to see what is going on, and/or to scare away persons bent on no good. If he'd had time to think or to recognize that his life might be in danger, surely Denis would have headed away from the car and sought help. There are no eyewitness accounts that I am aware of. And the perpetrators' accounts I wouldn't exactly trust.

Tinami Amori

There is an update on the criminal investigation of Denis Ten's murder and questioning of the accused.
https://news.mail.ru/incident/34736579/

(the article is a summary of several people speaking, and some of the phrases are “conversational” not “grammatical”, and it is a bit confusing, so for what it is worth….)

The two suspects were questioned again for more details. Both men are not residents of Alma Ata, they came from other areas, where each had a record of 3 prior criminal convictions each. When they came to Alma Ata, they had no money, started working at a car wash, and then got involved in “car mirror theft”.

On the day of the robbery, both guys were in need of money, to pay rent (for an illegal dwelling). (the neighbors testified that..) they came without any documents or identification, just moved into the apartment (the owner rented it illegally). Imagine in any other country one can just appear (out of the blue) and move in (without documents)..

The local internal affairs admin/spokes person said: See how easy our City makes it for criminals to come and live here.. they just came, and the owner made it easy for them to move in (without docs) and they kept on living there

On the morning of the incident, the two suspects were walking the streets, looking for “objects” for their crimes. They saw (Denis’) expensive car, and drove past it several times, and noticed that it has mirrors. They checked that mirrors were not “identified/numbered” (due to high theft many owners put numbers on the parts and take photos).

They started to remove mirrors just when Denis walked out (of the place he was in). Denis is a fighter! He caught one of them and held him down. The one who was held down could not move a muscle (Denis was that strong), until the second one (who was running away too) returned and hit Denis with the knife.

Now the question is “what is the motive for the knife attack”, was there an intent “to kill” or “to stop”… That will be investigated and determined during a trial, all the circumstances.

Last edited:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
There is an update on the criminal investigation of Denis Tan's murder and questioning of the accused.
https://news.mail.ru/incident/34736579/

(the article is a summary of several people speaking, and some of the phrases are “conversational” not “grammatical”, and it is a bit confusing, so what it is worth….)

The two suspects were questioned again for more details. Both men are not residents of Alma Ata, they came from other areas, where each had a record of 3 prior criminal convictions each. When they came to Alma Ata, they had no money, started working at a car wash, and then got involved in “car mirror theft”.

On the day of the robbery, both guys were in need of money, to pay rent (for an illegal dwelling). (the neighbors testified that..) they came without any documents or identification, just moved into the apartment (the owner rented it illegally). Imagine in any other country one can just appear (out of the blue) and move in (without documents)..

The local internal affairs admin/spokes person said: See how easy our City makes it for criminals to come and live here.. they just came, and the owner made it easy for them to move in (without docs) and they kept on living there

On the morning of the incident, the two suspects were walking the streets, looking for “objects” for their crimes. They saw (Denis’) expensive car, and drove past it several times, and noticed that it has mirrors. They checked that mirrors were not “identified/numbered” (due to high theft many owners put numbers on the parts and take photos).

They started to remove mirrors just when Denis walked out (of the place he was in). Denis is a fighter! He caught one of them and held him down. The one who was held down could not move a muscle (Denis was that strong), until the second one (who was running away too) returned and hit Denis with the knife.

Now the question is “what is the motive for the knife attack”, was there an intent “to kill” or “to stop”… That will be investigated and determined during a trial, all the circumstances.

You would be surprised in how many countries this is the case. When I spent a semester in Paris I moved into some illegal shack run by a Russian/Ukrainian artist who disguised it as an art school. I lived there with 17 other people at times and we had to pay a huge amount of money. He also didn't want to see an ID or documents whatsoever. So, this is not exactly a problem only in Kazakhstan.

I remember an interview with Denis where he told some stories about his childhood and how much he liked Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan and often got into fights. One of them happened during one of his first lessons on the ice. Someone picked on him and he followed this guy and fought him. He remarked back then that this was when he learned to skate fast because he absolutely wanted to get that guy. Oh, the irony... :(

Tinami Amori

Update on Denis Ten's murder trials and relevant legal actions.

a) The accused (2 men, 1 woman) are still held in jail (their detention period was extended) pending a trial date.
Investigation still in process and the trial date has not yet been set.
To make the case against the murderers as strong as possible, certain details will require eyewitnesses, and Denis' parents and relatives are asking for help, and to not be hiding if one is an eyewitness.
https://www.nur.kz/1757323-rodnye-denisa-tena-snova-prosat-otkliknutsa-svidetelej.html

Even local entertainment stars are now involved and asking for any add. info anyone can provide on the case and on the murderers' past activities.
https://www.nur.kz/1757210-vazna-ka...yskivaet-svidetelej-ubijstva-denisa-tena.html

c) The trial of the local school teacher, Sherhan Baizenov, who initially thought that Ten was "chinese" and praised the murderers, has been set for later this month (no date announced). Baizenov hired a lawyer and plans to dispute the severity of his statement. At present he is suspended from teaching at school, until the end of the trial.
https://www.nur.kz/1756981-ubijstvo...ud-nad-ucitelem-iz-zko-pohvalivsim-ubijc.html

Rina RUS

aftershocks

Banned Member
I'm glad that NBC did a brief feature recognizing Denis Ten's contributions to the sport and his enduring legacy, prior to the men's fp at Skate America gettng underway. Plus, Sergei Voronov's fp was choreograped by Denis, and it's very nice and perhaps will build even more over the course of the season. Denis will forever be missed. :saint:

nyrak

I'm glad that NBC did a brief feature recognizing Denis Ten's contributions to the sport and his enduring legacy, prior to the men's fp at Skate America gettng underway. Plus, Sergei Voronov's fp was choreograped by Denis, and it's very nice and perhaps will build even more over the course of the season. Denis will forever be missed. :saint:

Good for NBC, CBC did a nice little tribute to him on their coverage of Skate America this afternoon too.

Ka3sha

Rina RUS

Rina RUS

About competitions in memory of Denis Ten, about shows...

The director of management of sport in Almaty had a meeting with Alexei Yagudin and Denis Ten's mother. They talked on organising a competition in memory of Denis Ten and on development of figure skating in Almaty.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BpWztKnlSvr/

Alexei Yagudin:
I also talked to Ilya Averbukh. He wanted to do a show in memory of Denis Ten very much. Yet finally we decided, that many people - highly likely it would be so - many people would say: "they make money on their friend's death" - sorry. /.../ I'm sure, that the "Denis and friends" show will also have continuation a bit later. /.../ There will be a competition of a decent level - not a grand prix stage, of course, - kind of a challenge. It will take place here. I believe I will participate in organising it, it will be held every year in Kazakhstan. In memory of Denis Ten. Highly likely it will be held in autumn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSgt8a-NSGs

more
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...t-forget-you&p=2234993&viewfull=1#post2234993

aftershocks

Banned Member
It was cool to find out that Denis worked with Benoit Richaud previously and that they were friends. Denis had/ has so many friends who will never forget him. Benoit reflected that it seems so surreal, as he still kinda expects to see Denis skating again... It's just that it happened so abruptly when Denis was so full of life and when he had so many creative plans, and so many friends he was always in contact with, who looked forward to talking with him and seeing him again.

Oh Denis, we all miss you and a part of our hearts will always hold the moments we remember of your smile, your thoughtful words, your kindness, your blazing talent. Maybe one day those who knew you best will be blessed to see you again. Meanwhile, the moments we hold of you might help us in some way to be positive and to do something, even something small in our own lives, in honor of how much you meant to so many.

When I learned of Ziggy's death five years ago, it was like a punch in the stomach. When I found out about Denis' cruel murder this summer, it was like a stab in the heart (and it still bleeds). My continued prayers for Denis' family and his closest friends.

Eislauffan

The tribute was very touching. When Brian spoke (he hardly was able to speak, because he cried) I also had tears in my eyes. The French Federation had invited Denis' parents and they had come for two days and were present at the gala. I later met them and we talked. I've known Denis' mom for all those years she travelled with him to competitions. It was good seeing her and his father. I believe they find strength and comfort in the fact that Denis was loved by so many people and that people remember him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information