(Updated) Denis Ten Murdered: was stabbed in the thigh

aftershocks

Banned Member
http://www.globetrottingbyphiliphersh.com/home/2018/8/1/xk0uxw86ode5u8skad1gobdgpndiwd
Scroll down for the picture of Denis with Frank Carroll posted to Denis' Instagram on July 10 with the caption:
"Happy birthday to the man with whom I shared the best moments in my life."

This post from Denis came eight days before his tragic death. Frank recently told Phil Hersh, "I have no tears left."

And the photos, and the moments and remembrances, and the kind & thoughtful words and wisdom of Denis Ten keep being revealed to us anew. Many of us surely took for granted that Denis would be here for awhile in our midst. It isn't fair. And life isn't fair. I'm still trying to learn how to process it all, and figuring out what I can do even in small ways in my own life to honor Denis' memory.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Two district Police Chiefs have been fired yesterday in connection with Ten's murder. There is a combination of reasons: allowing a wave of daytime crime; too lenient on suspects held for theft, robberies, physical assaults; unsafe atmosphere in the city (Alma Ata) for citizens. In the past "minor crimes" were separated into its own department, from "major crimes/murders/drugs/human trafficking/gang violence. The minor crimes department adopted more lenient handling of suspects and incidents. Now both departments will be combined again, because "people do not feel safe in the city".

https://eadaily.com/ru/news/2018/08...v-alma-ate-uvoleny-dva-policeyskih-nachalnika

skateboy

Two district Police Chiefs have been fired yesterday in connection with Ten's murder. There is a combination of reasons: allowing a wave of daytime crime; too lenient on suspects held for theft, robberies, physical assaults; unsafe atmosphere in the city (Alma Ata) for citizens. In the past "minor crimes" were separated into its own department, from "major crimes/murders/drugs/human trafficking/gang violence. The minor crimes department adopted more lenient handling of suspects and incidents. Now both departments will be combined again, because "people do not feel safe in the city".

https://eadaily.com/ru/news/2018/08...v-alma-ate-uvoleny-dva-policeyskih-nachalnika
Have you heard anything as to when the trial for Denis's murder will take place? I've done some internet searching but haven't heard anything.

Tinami Amori

Have you heard anything as to when the trial for Denis's murder will take place? I've done some internet searching but haven't heard anything.
From the available news, inspectors are questioning the two detainees and witnesses in order to put together a case for each suspect. Both confirmed theft, one confirmed he did the stabbing, the second one is denying any involvement in physical violence or handling of the knife. Inspectors trying to figure out if the second one might have held the knife at any point, and if he also participated in physical beating of Ten even if without the knife. Depending on results of such investigation, the charges maybe different. Plus, both men have prior convictions/offenses and those need to be reviewed since they will add to the case and final decision. Plus there is a 3rd person arrested, a female, who is accused of "covering up".

coppertop1

From the available news, inspectors are questioning the two detainees and witnesses in order to put together a case for each suspect. Both confirmed theft, one confirmed he did the stabbing, the second one is denying any involvement in physical violence or handling of the knife. Inspectors trying to figure out if the second one might have held the knife at any point, and if he also participated in physical beating of Ten even if without the knife. Depending on results of such investigation, the charges maybe different. Plus, both men have prior convictions/offenses and those need to be reviewed since they will add to the case and final decision. Plus there is a 3rd person arrested, a female, who is accused of "covering up".

Thanks for keeping us updated. What would the maximum sentence be? Life?

The more stories about Denis keep coming, the sadder I feel that we won't ego see him again.

coppertop1

Until the investigators determine the full scope of last and previous crimes for each offender, the max. sentences will not be known.

Ok. Hopefully, a long sentence of hard labour awaits them.

Has this article been posted? A sad, untimely farewell to Denis Ten. Denis really sounds like a sweet, caring guy. Him greeting Frank Carroll at the airport and brings his coach his bags. So touching.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Him greeting Frank Carroll at the airport and brings his coach his bags. So touching.

Thanks for posting. I'd heard about but hadn't yet read this tribute by Hersh.

BTW, the anecdote is that Denis and his Mom got up at 3:30am to help Frank with his bags and to say goodbye as he left for the airport (Frank decided to leave Pyeongchang earlier than planned when Denis did not make the cut for the fp).

livetoskate

Documentary about Denis on "Match TV", created by Alexei Yagudin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6EIxz3hGvo
It's so nice to see the old video footage of Denis and photos of him. He was much loved by all his friends and it shows in this. Too bad it's all in Russian. I will check back again in a few weeks in case someone adds English subtitles. Thank you for letting us know about this video by Alexei Yagudin.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Yagudin did a wonderful job with the documentary.
I especially loved Trankov's words [in a nutshell]: "Most shows in the world are called 'Stars on Ice', 'Art on Ice', 'Champions on Ice', 'Imagine on Ice'...but his show was the only one in the world which was just called 'Denis and Friends' not 'Denis on Ice' or 'Kazakhstan on Ice' and it says a lot about him because he really was a great friend to all of us."

It made me tear up all again.

Last edited:

Eislauffan

Yagudin did a wonderful job with the documentary.
I especially loved Trankov's words [in a nutshell]: "Most shows in the world are called 'Stars on Ice', 'Art on Ice', 'Champions on Ice', 'Imagine on Ice'...but his show was the only one in the world which was just called 'Denis and Friends' not 'Denis on Ice' or 'Kazakhstan on Ice' and it says a lot about him because he really was a great friend to all of us."

It made me tear up all again.

Me too.

livetoskate

with subtitles:

Denis Ten (The Ice Melts series by Yagudin)

PART 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sTrsj86fZ8

PART 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITwcCFxSxR4
Thank you for these translations! Denis was such a remarkable person. This documentary has interviews with his friends, coaches, and people who knew him outside of the skating world. Denis was so multi-talented and a very hard worker. Such a loss. It is also incredible that Alexei Yagudin was able to conduct the interviews and narrate the documentary without breaking down.

Tinami Amori

How Denis Ten's death affected/changed (for the better) the work and procedures of the Alma Ata's police.
https://www.sports.kz/news/kak-izmenilas-rabota-politsii-v-almatyi-posle-gibeli-denisa-tena

this article translates fairly well in google. in brief:
- all flea-markets where used auto-parts are sold will now be on watch, under surveillance, and vendors will be required to provide a legitimate source of their inventory (when randomly checked).
- improved accessibility to and improved response time by police officers on duty.
- more emergency line operators and more serious consideration to petty theft crime reports; more serious/less lenient handling of past offenders or those under investigation.
- removal of concrete walls and barriers in various public places/parks for higher visibility to the public and police.
- various other policies affecting reorganization of the local police departments' work: prevention and handling of crime reports.

bardtoob

with subtitles:

Denis Ten (The Ice Melts series by Yagudin)

PART 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sTrsj86fZ8

PART 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITwcCFxSxR4

Oh my . . . just hit cc and there is the translation . . .

It is lovely to see what Buyanova and Tarasova have to say, and they are both very kind regarding the work Denis did with Lori Nichol and Frank Carroll. They also talk about how supportive his mom was but how she still managed to never get in his way (unlike a typical skater mom).

Last edited:

coppertop1

How Denis Ten's death affected/changed (for the better) the work and procedures of the Alma Ata's police.
https://www.sports.kz/news/kak-izmenilas-rabota-politsii-v-almatyi-posle-gibeli-denisa-tena

this article translates fairly well in google. in brief:
- all flea-markets where used auto-parts are sold will now be on watch, under surveillance, and vendors will be required to provide a legitimate source of their inventory (when randomly checked).
- improved accessibility to and improved response time by police officers on duty.
- more emergency line operators and more serious consideration to petty theft crime reports; more serious/less lenient handling of past offenders or those under investigation.
- removal of concrete walls and barriers in various public places/parks for higher visibility to the public and police.
- various other policies affecting reorganization of the local police departments' work: prevention and handling of crime reports.
Maybe there is a tiny bit of good can come out of this.

I was watching some of Denis's programs and it's so sad that his body betrayed him. I will always wonder what could have been if he had been healthy and if he had lived. He was one of those skaters who made me wish there was a figure skating competition just for artistry.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
How horrible! I have been away from wifi for the last several days and this is the first time I am seeing the Denis Ten news. I am very sad. My deepest condolences to Denis's family and the nation of Kazakhstan. Terrible loss for them and for figure skating.

LarrySK8

To be honest - and this is tough to say because most would react as Denis did when confronted with thieves - your car is not worth your life - and too bad he simply could not have turned from the scene of the crime and ran to the cops.

When he decided to confront and intervene, it cost him his life. For mirrors on a car. It was not worth it - he should have let them steal the whole thing and stay safe.

Over side view mirrors he is dead. Incredible.

trouble77

Banned Member
How horrible! I have been away from wifi for the last several days and this is the first time I am seeing the Denis Ten news. I am very sad. My deepest condolences to Denis's family and the nation of Kazakhstan. Terrible loss for them and for figure skating.

When I discovered this terrible news, the shock was so deep and heart wrenching that I was numb for the entire day.

Tinami Amori

Some updates on the legal issues.

- https://informburo.kz/novosti/13-so...assledovaniya-posle-ubiystva-denisa-tena.html
13 employees of Alma Ata Police Department were penalized for various forms of negligence and failing to follow procedures to protect the streets and to reduce crime (including insufficient handling of criminals and suspects).

- https://www.nur.kz/1748019-ona-ni-v...tretej-podozrevaemoj-po-delu-denisa-tena.html
- https://www.sports.kz/news/soobschn...-denisa-tena-popadala-v-pole-zreniya-politsii
The mother of the woman (Dzhanar Tolybaeyva), who is held in custody and accused of aiding and abetting the two men who murdered Ten, makes a statement that "her daughter did nothing wrong and not guilty of Ten's death".

Mother states that her daughter is a good girl, she finished training as an elementary school teacher, but chose to come to Alma Ata to get a waitress job. In Alma Ata she met the two men through a friend, and one became her boyfriend (the one who did the stabbing - Nural Kyasov). He told Dzhanar of the incident in secret, begging her not to tell anyone, and so she did not. But she is not guilty of actual crime (says mother).

Dzhanar was caught by police for previous offenses and a record, in April 2018 she was arrested for DUI and has previous cases of petty theft.

There are no news on the trial date for the main case. Supposedly the police is still investigating.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Every time there is mention of him, I cry for his mother and father, brother--for a life not wholly lived.

Denis' life was tragically cut short. Sadly, he wasn't givn enough time. But the important thing is, while he was here Denis made the most of his time and then some! Every moment of Denis' life, he lived wholly and fully. Amen.

As someone posted on GS Forum:
https://astanatimes.com/2018/08/nati...s-in-brief-14/
The Denis Ten Public Foundation will be created in Almaty, according to Kazinform. The city administration also plans to open a figure skating academy and hold an annual international tournament in memory of the Olympic bronze medallist. A monument will be set at the site where Ten was stubbed to death July 19. 'We thank all Kazakh people for their support in these difficult days. Many ideas and proposals were voiced honouring the memory of Denis. We are already working with the state authorities to implement some of them. All our proposals are supported by the Ministry of Culture and Sports. The authorities will install a plaque on our house, where Denis was born and lived, and will help publish a book about him,' said his mother, Oksana Ten.

Maybe a new thread should be started with a title associated with 'remembering Denis Ten.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information