Unpopular Opinions

Icetalavista

...imo her choreographer Adam Solya is... what he is doing is a crime! Loena never ever tried any other choreographer since, if i am not mistaken, 2018. She believes unconditionally what her team tells her to do :-( And there is no hope anything is going to change. But who knows... it is only my opinion nothing else.
I wish her to go for a choreographer; to the choreographer who opens doors to her potential and does not impose what is given to her as hers😭 She is too obedient,

P.S. I think Loena's love of skating can make even bad choreography watchable.
I agree, but she’s winning with his programs and seems to enjoy them, so likely will have clubby programs into the foreseeable future…and why does splay come to every competition if he’s only a choreographer?

Icetalavista

I agree, but she’s winning with his programs and seems to enjoy them, so likely will have clubby programs into the foreseeable future…and why does splay come to every competition if he’s only a choreographer?
Solya, not splay lol, although we all see the irony of that autocorrect lol

gkelly

I have not felt the need to move Don Quixote and Requiem for a Dream out of the top spots on my least-liked music list. At least they're not as ubiquitous now as a decade or two ago.

For music that's fine on its own but went through a period of being overused -- how long does it need to be rare for a while before it would lose the warhorse stigma?

ilovepaydays

Queen. I love Queen outside of skating. But it seems quite fatalistic to skate to "who wants to live forever" and fall or miss twizzles.

Ava Maria. I'm not in church.

Frank Sinatra

Ava Maria has always seemed to me to be one of those religious pieces that sounds great in person in a cathedral. It’s feels MEH hearing it as a recording in a skating program.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Queen. I love Queen outside of skating. But it seems quite fatalistic to skate to "who wants to live forever" and fall or miss twizzles.

Ava Maria. I'm not in church.

Frank Sinatra
Ava Maria has always seemed to me to be one of those religious pieces that sounds great in person in a cathedral. It’s feels MEH hearing it as a recording in a skating program.
Ave Maria, to be pedantic.

Otonal (which I think of as Atonal) and any of the Raul Di Blasio endlessly-noodling-like-Eteri's-hair pieces.

Mafke

Allowing lyrics in competition was a major mistake.

The 'team' event is dumb.

Singles needs to be divided into two different competitions, one concentrating more on athleticism and the other with limits on jumps and spin positions and concentrating more on purity of technique.

Ice dance is not as good as when they had OSPs or ODs.

These are some of my less controversial opinions....

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Allowing lyrics in competition was a major mistake.

The 'team' event is dumb.

Singles needs to be divided into two different competitions, one concentrating more on athleticism and the other with limits on jumps and spin positions and concentrating more on purity of technique.

Ice dance is not as good as when they had OSPs or ODs.

These are some of my less controversial opinions....
I’d say all of those are pretty popular opinions, at least on FSU :D

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Another unpopular opinion, Hanyu is extremely overscored. I know i'll get attacked for this but that's my feelings towards him.
I think you'll find you get attacked less than you think

(this has nothing to do with my feelings on Hanyu it's just that most people here that like him like him a very normal amount and can't be bothered to attack others because of their opinions on skating lol)

sadya

I have mixed feelings about Hanyu. I liked his programs in his first year in senior competition and was amazed at what he could do already. Then came the Games, I didn't like his Olympic FS at all, the year he first won. Perhaps my opinion was coloured by hoping that that lovely FS of Chan would be the golden program. Unfortunately he didn't deliver at the Olympics. I'd had to go back and watch again to see what I think now. I do remember thinking: Hanyu deserved this win, but I wish it would have been with a different program and a different performance, and what I really wished was that Chan would have delivered his TEB performances at the Olympics.

In the years since Hanyu has skated some of my favourite programs ever, such as the first version of Seimei. And what he achieved as well as his relationship with his fans has made him one of the living legends of skating. I respect that. Yet, even today for me personally he isn't the greatest skater of all time. Some of the things I didn't like in his programs were his posture and I didn't always like the choreography. At the same time, his programs I do like are amazing and worthy of rewatching.

Some of his fans are scary though, I didn't dare to post my opinion anywhere in those years when I didn't like something about a Hanyu performance. It depends when and where you are online. To his problematic fans he was perfect, he couldn't do anything wrong even off ice which just isn't realistic. His 'normal' fans did acknowledge that he wasn't perfect and that he actually was human.

On My Own

I thought Hanyu was a great skater, up until 2017. After which he repeated stale programs, and then men's skating collectively went to shit because of the timing + rule/scoring change.

I hadn't realized this equated to my hating Hanyu on account of my being a Takahashi uber.
This might be an unpopular opinion but my favorite thing about Hanyu is that he dated Medvedeva and then denied it. 😂
Just for the record, for the past couple of days, his Chinese fans have yet again taken to bashing Medvedeva to an extreme degree, and they love saying that she looks like a frog. I cannot express enough happiness for his retirement, because being around these people, whether fans or skaters, just plain isn't safe.

Last edited:

sadya

Would it help if skaters would address the toxic part of their fanbase and ask them to behave? Or wouldn't that help? Others would say: it's not the responsibility of a skater. True. At the same time, perhaps the toxic fan would listen to their idol asking them to stop, or am I wrong?

Last edited:

sap5

Would it help is skaters would address the toxic part of their fanbase and ask them to behave? Or wouldn't that help? Others would say: it's not the responsibility of a skater. True. At the same time, perhaps the toxic fan would listen to their idol asking them to stop, or am I wrong?
IME, toxic fanbases aren’t actually fans of the skater— they are fans of themselves and the narratives they have created about the skater. If the skater actually tries to tell them to stop, the fanbase will turn against the skater also and be even worse than before.

Maybe it would be better for the skater to openly show that they are different from the prevailing narrative, so that other voices within a fandom can show that the skater isn’t like the narrative that has been created?

Arrows

So thinking Hanyu is a good skater but enjoying others more than him equals hating Hanyu?

No, but there are often far worse comments about him on this forum than simply expressing the fact that you enjoy other skaters more. Not by you specifically iirc, but by many others.

This might be an unpopular opinion but my favorite thing about Hanyu is that he dated Medvedeva and then denied it. 😂

Do you really believe these ridiculous lies an attention seeker like Medvedeva tries to spread? :rofl: If they were really a thing, then TSL Dave and Doug Haw would have already reported it many times, because they were extremely eager to find any gossip about Hanyu around the time he won his second OGM in 2018. And Doug Haw would have known something.

I thought Hanyu was a great skater, up until 2017. After which he repeated stale programs, and then men's skating collectively went to shit because of the timing + rule/scoring change.

I hadn't realized this equated to my hating Hanyu on account of my being a Takahashi uber.

Just for the record, for the past couple of days, his Chinese fans have yet again taken to bashing Medvedeva to an extreme degree, and they love saying that she looks like a frog. I cannot express enough happiness for his retirement, because being around these people, whether fans or skaters, just plain isn't safe.

You have some of the most hateful comments about him from the past 6-7 years not just on FSU but in the whole fs fandom :lol:

On My Own

You have some of the most hateful comments about him from the past 6-7 years not just on FSU but in the whole fs fandom :lol:
Literally who do you think I am :rofl:

Maybe learn to google translate Japanese btw lol, what I said about him on here is nothing compared to what the j-antis say lmao

Again, maybe read my comments on his skating :lol: I even made one in that vaunted fanfest of yours.

BTW, I recognize your screen name from GS. I know you're an intelligent person, so maybe stop doing this now.

Do you really believe these ridiculous lies an attention seeker like Medvedeva tries to spread?
gosh lol. Because random people like you know what happened better?

Arrows

Maybe learn to google translate Japanese btw lol, what I said about him on here is nothing compared to what the j-antis say lmao

gosh lol. Because random people like you know what happened better?

No, I don't know things with certainty though I followed the Medvedeva saga closely and I have a negative opinion on her. I assume you are also just a random person like me - still, you and some other posters here seem to believe tabloids, gossips, or bad translations taken out of context more than anything else, including Hanyu's own words.

J-antis are absolutely awful, we agree. I'll leave it at that because whatever else I'd add wouldn't change your or anyone else's opinion anyway.

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
@Arrows are you, the only person who believes that Dave Lease has strong and reliable sources? He didn’t know 1% of things going on in cricket club. His information was thirdhand at best. Don’t get me started on how he knows Absolutely nothing about Italian skating but wants to have a serious conversation about Daniel Grassl.

And I am not claiming that this Medvedeva Hanyu thing is real or gossip stir up. But Claiming its not true bc Dave Lease didnt “report” is comical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information