U.S. Pairs 2021-22 season - News & Updates, Part X

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
Well, guess we will wait till all the dust settles...are McBeath/Bartholomay still in for next season? Are Lu/Mit definitely split? Chan/Howe are looking good for improvement. Is Jessica retiring? Will we still have K/F and C-G/L next season? How about Danny O'Shea? So many questions to be answered. Sad to see Calalang/Johnson split.

aml78

Gosh. After this amazing season, we could really have no top level teams next year? That’s crazy. Ugh.

Flip Jump

Paging Danny O’Shea, perhaps?
Jessica and Danny skated together at the Novice level during the 2009-2010 season. I think they may have been each other’s first partner. It is possible they could team up again but I don’t really see it happening. We shall see!

2sk8

We also have Smirnova/Siianytsia who I would think would be senior, since they were going to compete in senior pairs at nationals. I love them and hope they have great skates at junior worlds! :cheer:
and Digerness / Sadusky who have been training for months but chose not to compete this past season

Trillian

Jessica and Danny skated together at the Novice level during the 2009-2010 season. I think they may have been each other’s first partner. It is possible they could team up again but I don’t really see it happening. We shall see!

I don’t know anything about any of the interpersonal dynamics, but they have the same coaches, and even with the jump issues, she’d certainly be one of his better options in terms of skating skills if they both want to continue. (ETA: and maybe one of her only realistic options.)

I was a big fan of Danny with Tarah, but I have to admit I’ve wondered more than once what a long-term Calalang & O’Shea partnership might have looked like.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Misha and Jessica? I know nothing about their respective sizes so they might not be a good physical match, but...
Doubtful unless she wants to relocate to Boston. I feel, with Audrey going to UCLA and planning to continue skating, that had it been an option for Misha to also relocate to SoCal, he would have done so and remained partners with Audrey, given their very strong season and bright future.

mtnskater

Holy cow! I was so excited about the upcoming quad for U.S. Pairs and POOF! Two of the pairs that had the most promising immediate future are done. USFS must be verklempt. I’m really heartbroken for Calalang and Johnson. If they had stuck with it I’m sure they would have had Grand Prix success and more. And gone to worlds next year. Can’t believe they never made it to Worlds. I sure wish they had been sent the first year they were silver medalists. The banned substance issue really did in their chances of making the Olympics too IMHO. Such tough breaks for such a talented team. Liu and Mitrofanov also very promising…and they had jump consistency. Not much of a connection, but I felt that could be worked on since they were still young. I sure hope Meno & Sand can work some magic with upcoming and new teams, but it sure seems like the pairs bench has become awfully thin all of a sudden. :fragile::wuzrobbed

Debbie S

Can’t believe they never made it to Worlds. I sure wish they had been sent the first year they were silver medalists.
Well, they were ultimately named to the 2020 World team after Knierims WD/Chris retired, but Worlds never happened. :( I wish they'd had at least one trip to Worlds too.

Things were going so well for U.S. pairs, sigh. I hope Danny is able to find a new partner and that Todd and Jenni can develop some new top teams.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
And Plazas/Fernandez are quietly training away also. I am totally of the belief that there's nothing to freak out about. Let's just see what happens.
They're on my short list for a SkAm host spot this fall. I really liked their potential during the NQS Pairs comps and at Nats.

Hoping also that Smith/Deng are still quietly training away and developing as juniors. I'd love to see them out on the JGP this upcoming season.

Spiralgraph

I bet right now the USFS is doing all they can to convince K/F and C-G/L not to retire for at least for another year while hopefully new teams can get together.

Definitely possible that USFSA might do that. And there is precedent for that too.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I hope K/F stay on and that C-G/L are able to, but I’m also looking forward to seeing some new or younger teams emerge in the next couple of years, hopefully inspired by the success of K/F and the artistry of C-G/L. Skating needs more pairs and hopefully K/F’s win will inspire a lot more novice or junior skaters to want to give it a try :love:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information