U.S. Pairs 2021-22 season - News & Updates, Part X

clairecloutier

Interesting, although wouldn't it be a good idea for the USFSA to give a team like McBeath / Bartholomay?

McBeath/Bartholomay are not in the race to be on the Olympic team. I think USFS probably wants to keep the focus on the possible Oly pairs and keep giving them chances to improve their scores and also get more comparison points. P.S. M/B had competition opportunities earlier in the season.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
What I find interesting is that Liu/O'Shea aren't listed, even as alternates. They only had 2 international assignments that count toward a Bye to Nationals and they didn't compete in last week's NQS Pairs event so it would seem like they won't be at Nationals.

olympic

looks like L/O will be 4th after the SP in Warsaw. They improved their score from SkAm.

OTOH, C/J. What happened?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Not their best outing... Jessica doubled the SBS jump... and also fell out of the spin and was left standing there to watch Brian finish.

I remember when that happened to Alexa and Chris a few years ago and Alexa used humor and just put her arms up in the air and turned around on her feet while smiling, it was very cute

olympic

TSL pointed out that C/J need to make a statement these days to supplant CG/L and / or K/F, and be thought of as legitimate Olympic material but the clock is ticking, which sucks for me because I like them a lot. She is so stressed when it comes to the jumps!

Karen-W

Saw that, and it means they are out of the last group. SIGH. Did she fall on the SBS jump?
No idea. Stream had issues so it missed all of Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps and the first 45 seconds or so of Liu/O'Shea. Per the protocol, someone fell on the SBS.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I remember when that happened to Alexa and Chris a few years ago and Alexa used humor and just put her arms up in the air and turned around on her feet while smiling, it was very cute
Difference was that was an exhibition skate at 2016 Worlds when she actually did completely wipe out at the beginning of the spin. Not so sure the same would’ve happened in competition ;)

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Difference was that was an exhibition skate at 2016 Worlds when she actually did completely wipe out at the beginning of the spin. Not so sure the same would’ve happened in competition ;)

I’m just happy as a clam that I remembered it happened. That was five years ago already?

skylark

yeslek

I think C/J score was very high considering what happened… I’ve been starting to notice her lack of posture and hesitancy more often. The spin error really took away from the program and their twist even seemed a bit off? I hope they are okay. I normally love them.

Karen-W

What is even worse is that the medical team, their coach and the USFS officials had them BOTH skate off the ice rather than put them on backboards. Chelsea, at the very least, should have been put on a backboard and neck brace, given how long she laid on the ice, barely moving. Danny also should have because it was pretty clear, from the way he was holding his head as he left the ice, that he hit it and had, at minimum, a cut.

What will it take to harness the rage of Skating Twitter at this clear disregard by the ISU for basic concussion protocols?!

angi

What is even worse is that the medical team, their coach and the USFS officials had them BOTH skate off the ice rather than put them on backboards. Chelsea, at the very least, should have been put on a backboard and neck brace, given how long she laid on the ice, barely moving. Danny also should have because it was pretty clear, from the way he was holding his head as he left the ice, that he hit it and had, at minimum, a cut.

What will it take to harness the rage of Skating Twitter at this clear disregard by the ISU for basic concussion protocols?!
It was infuriating to watch, Danny was without a doubt bleeding since people at the rink commented that they can see it on the ice. Earlier today Kevin Aymoz fell and hit his head and nothing was done, now to see two skaters simply helped off without at the very least neckbraces is unacceptable. It also took the organizers a long time to get to them, more than 40 seconds.
I don't think I've ever seen the concussion protocol actually happening, the skaters either keep skating (Keving today, Keegan at Skate Canada) or are helped off the ice in a really unsafe way. Truly disheartening.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Can we get a petition going or something? I don't know what it will take. i don't feel that the rage of Skating Twitter will accomplish anything, because Skating Twitter is constantly raging over something. At this point they're the boy who cried wolf.

Karen-W

Can we get a petition going or something? I don't know what it will take. i don't feel that the rage of Skating Twitter will accomplish anything, because Skating Twitter is constantly raging over something. At this point they're the boy who cried wolf.
Maybe someone can compile a video of all of the clear falls where a skater's head hit the ice and the ISU/event organizers disregarded basic concussion protocol? That might help drive home the point. This is happening far too often.

angi

That was one of the worst lift falls I've ever seen, and not having her back/neck immobilised immediately was BEYOND irresponsible. It's basic first aid, how are the rinkside staff so constantly useless about this.
Unfortunately, it wasn't even on a lift, it was either a transition or a choreographic sequence, but since he was skating backward they simply had no way to break the fall and while the height of the fall was lower than a lift, the effect was even worse.

Karen-W

Unfortunately, it wasn't even on a lift, it was either a transition or a choreographic sequence, but since he was skating backward they simply had no way to break the fall and while the height of the fall was lower than a lift, the effect was even worse.
It was a choreo lift. He was in a spread eagle and she was leaning against his hips & chest when his blade caught an edge and they went down. There was no way for him to stop it or protect her from whacking her head against the ice.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Oh my God what have I missed…? I just went to the Warsaw score page and I see that Jessica and Brian are currently in first but I don’t see Chelsea and Danny anywhere, there was a disaster fall?

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
It was a choreo lift. He was in a spread eagle and she was leaning against his hips & chest when his blade caught an edge and they went down. There was no way for him to stop it or protect her from whacking her head against the ice.
And even though he was clearly injured, you could see him struggling, trying to check on her. I feel awful for them, and I agree with everyone about the anger with everyone involved and lack of following any kind of common sense protocol. It's utterly irresponsible. Chelsea for sure should not have been allowed to leave the ice without proper first aid.

litenkyckling

the medical assistance here was reckless and irresponsible - I think I'm still in shock over how awfully it was handled.

I've just seen a replay and her neck? The way her head was thrown her neck should have been braced immediately. I cannot believe they just watched what we watched BUT IN PERSON and made her WALK off the ice. I'm bubbling with anger if I'm honest. This fed should be banned from holding events if they cannot be correctly medically equipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information