U.S. Men in 2017 - articles & latest news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayar

Last season in order to get a second B, you had to score (I think) 225+ in your 1st. He did not do that, so no second assignment is what I would guess.

aftershocks

Banned Member
On IceTalk Ep. #48, that was a delightful interview by Jackie Wong with Max Aaron. I love how Max described the process he went through choosing his program music, engaging in movement classes with Katherine Hill, and working on his costumes with his designer. :) Also, he has such a great attitude about enjoying every moment this season and focusing on making and sharing the best memories with his parents.

Sylvia

TBD
I believe USFS has a fluid selection policy for additional assignments that may change from year to year. I think medaling in the first event could also play a part in skaters receiving a second assignment. Alex Johnson, for example, won the bronze at Nebelhorn Trophy and I expect he may get Golden Spin? We shall soon find out.

Dolensky is competing at Eastern Sectionals this week. Pacific Coast Sectional starting orders are not yet posted (Sean Rabbitt is the defending champion there), but here are the Senior men scheduled to compete at the other 2 Sectionals:

Easterns (5): Timothy Dolensky, Jimmy Ma, Curran Oi, Emmanuel Savary, Kevin Shum [Oleksiy Melnyk WD; he was 18th in his senior national debut last season]
Midwesterns (7): Tomoki Hiwatashi, Ben Jalovick, Alex Johnson, Colton Johnson, Jordan Moeller, Patrick Rupp, Luke West

ETA the 8 Senior men listed in the Pacific Coasts starting order (alphabetical):
Sean Conlon, Derrick Der, Scott Dyer, Daniel Kulenkamp, Shotaro Omori, Sebastien Payannet, Dennis Phan, Sean Rabbitt

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Unfortunately, several Junior men already have withdrawn from Sectionals due to injury :(:
Joseph Kang (2017 Novice silver medalist) from Easterns;
Joonsoo Kim (2017 Novice pewter medalist) and Alex Wellman (N11; won U.S. Challenge Skate in SLC back in Sept.) from Mids;
Mark Sadusky from Pacific Coasts per his Instagram (he has a SP portraying Aaron Burr to "Wait For It" from Hamilton that I really like).

Hope all will come back strongly next season!

ETA: Alex Wellman is listed #7 of 7 in the Mids Junior Men's SP starting order now (pretty sure there were only 6 yesterday) - glad to see his name!

Last edited:

Marco

By the way, does Dolensky have no international assignments besides the USIC? He actually has a relatively high international ranking (higher than Miner for example). You would think that the USFSA would work to get him a 2nd Senior B. I would say Golden Spin would be a great opportunity but Nationals are earlier this year.

Alas Tim has been quite underwhelming internationally given all the opportunities he has had. He also has't had much success with the 4sal. A few years ago I had thought because of his superior skating and spins, he could threaten for a spot at the Olys. I suppose now he should focus on making 4CCs instead.

olympic

Alas Tim has been quite underwhelming internationally given all the opportunities he has had. He also has't had much success with the 4sal. A few years ago I had thought because of his superior skating and spins, he could threaten for a spot at the Olys. I suppose now he should focus on making 4CCs instead.

Last year, JW in his commentary said that Dolensky had plateaued over the last couple of seasons. I believe that to be true. I also agree with your assessment: He is probably the best US spinner and when he lands jumps, everything from the 3A down is done superbly w/ good technique. He also feels the music, has interesting choreography and is capable of high PCS. Yes, he crashes and burns on quad attempts, but he also has problems getting through a program clean beyond the quad. I know he trains in GA. I am not aware of that area having a training hub or a competitive rink. Maybe he's not pushed day-to-day (?) to go beyond.

Tavi

Last year, JW in his commentary said that Dolensky had plateaued over the last couple of seasons. I believe that to be true. I also agree with your assessment: He is probably the best US spinner and when he lands jumps, everything from the 3A down is done superbly w/ good technique. He also feels the music, has interesting choreography and is capable of high PCS. Yes, he crashes and burns on quad attempts, but he also has problems getting through a program clean beyond the quad. I know he trains in GA. I am not aware of that area having a training hub or a competitive rink. Maybe he's not pushed day-to-day (?) to go beyond.

I’m pretty sure he moved to Dallas this season to train with Peter and Darlene Cain, where his training mates include Ashley Cain / Tim LeDuc, Alexei Krasnozhon, and Amber Glenn.

Sylvia

TBD
Dolensky relocated to the Dallas area sometime last spring.
I’m pretty sure he [Dolensky] moved to Dallas this season to train with Peter and Darlene Cain, where his training mates include Ashley Cain / Tim LeDuc, Alexei Krasnozhon, and Amber Glenn.
Jimmy Ma, who is a talented jumper with 3A & 4T, recently joined the Cains' group as well.

Last edited:

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
By the way, does Dolensky have no international assignments besides the USIC? He actually has a relatively high international ranking (higher than Miner for example).

Dolensky also competed at the Senior B Philly International (not a challenger, but he did receive world standing points for his victory there) so he technically had two international competitions.

The 4CC race should be exciting. Assuming Chen, Brown, Zhou, Rippon, and Aaron finish in the top 5, there's room for one more skater like Hochstein, Dolensky, Miner, etc. to make the 4CC team. It's also possible that some of those with Olympic heartbreaks will decline a spot on the 4CC team, e.g., Wagner in 2010. OTOH, this season may be the swan song for a lot of the top American men and they may want that last international competition. Just glancing at their ages, I don't suppose many of these mid-to-late 20-somethings will stick around next quad.

Rippon: 28 yrs old
Hochstein: 27 yrs old
Johnson: 27 yrs old
Miner: 26 yrs old
Dolensky: 25 yrs old
Aaron: 25 yrs old

Sylvia

TBD
Hochstein confirmed at the end of his post-4CC journal post back in February that this is his last season. Miner was quoted in this April 2017 "Ice Chips" show article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/04/11/223632222
He confirmed that next season will probably be his last as a competitor.
"It feels like it's time," he [Miner] said. "I have a lot going on that I'm interested in," he said.
The three-time U.S. medalist has had to cope with disappointment at the last two U.S. championships, finishing fifth both years after second-place short programs.
"I'd love to make the Olympic team and represent the U.S. -- that's the reason to stick around," he said. "It's a little bit frustrating to me to see the end result of nationals and then to have that be what's remembered, and to know I got so close. I just have to cross the finish line. It's still really early in the season, so it's hard to be saying what I'm going to be doing in January of next year. Obviously, adding more technical content is the goal."

olympic

@Firedancer @Tavi and @Sylvia Thanks for the clarification. It sounds like a good training environment. Is Dolensky from GA?? Maybe I confused his birthplace with his rink.

Jimmy Ma is another firecracker that I ‘d like to see develop into a top tier skater

RoseRed

Dolensky also competed at the Senior B Philly International (not a challenger, but he did receive world standing points for his victory there) so he technically had two international competitions.

The 4CC race should be exciting. Assuming Chen, Brown, Zhou, Rippon, and Aaron finish in the top 5, there's room for one more skater like Hochstein, Dolensky, Miner, etc. to make the 4CC team. It's also possible that some of those with Olympic heartbreaks will decline a spot on the 4CC team, e.g., Wagner in 2010. OTOH, this season may be the swan song for a lot of the top American men and they may want that last international competition. Just glancing at their ages, I don't suppose many of these mid-to-late 20-somethings will stick around next quad.

Rippon: 28 yrs old
Hochstein: 27 yrs old
Johnson: 27 yrs old
Miner: 26 yrs old
Dolensky: 25 yrs old
Aaron: 25 yrs old
I've been keeping track of the international scores for those guys, because I'm curious about 4CC teams. I also added a couple of the JGP men who are doing senior at Nats and have got senior internationals to get the minimums:

By Scores - CS
  1. Ross Miner — 233.72, 219.96
  2. Alexander Johnson — 226.04
  3. Grant Hochstein — 217.52
  4. Timothy Dolensky — 214.94
GP Scores
  1. Alexei Krasnozhon — 225.48, 209.37 (JGPs)
  2. Grant Hochstein — 206.09, 216.44
  3. Andrew Torgashev — 212.71 (JGP)

acraven

I've always thought of Tim as sort of a late bloomer; I wouldn't be surprised to see him continue past this season. Whether his body will hold out for four more years, I don't know.

peibeck

Simply looking
Unfortunately, several Junior men already have withdrawn from Sectionals due to injury :(:
Joseph Kang (2017 Novice silver medalist) from Easterns;
Joonsoo Kim (2017 Novice pewter medalist) and Alex Wellman (N11; won U.S. Challenge Skate in SLC back in Sept.) from Mids;
Mark Sadusky from Pacific Coasts per his Instagram (he has a SP portraying Aaron Burr to "Wait For It" from Hamilton that I really like).

Hope all will come back strongly next season!

ETA: Alex Wellman is listed #7 of 7 in the Mids Junior Men's SP starting order now (pretty sure there were only 6 yesterday) - glad to see his name!

:( There is such a shortage of young men in skating as compared to the ladies, it makes me doubly sad when many of these young talents are injured and cannot compete, especially ones we expected to make it to San Jose.

Sylvia

TBD
Curran Oi is still training and competing? :eek: Isn't he like an MIT Ph.D. by now?
http://www.curranoi.com
Currently
PhD Candidate in Biochemistry & Biophysics at Yale University
Academic Interests
Protein Engineering, Synthetic Biology, Protein-Protein Interaction
Kevin Shum is the one at MIT now: http://kevinshum.com
University Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Year Class of 2019
Course Computer Science and Engineering
Concentration Theater Arts

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
SP at IdF

8. Max AARON 78.64
10. Vincent ZHOU 66.12

Zhou's rotation issues aren't getting any better but he got some presents from the TP here.

Tahuu

Nathan: I am still easing my way (layout) in.
Adam: If I am as good at SA as at NHK, I’ll take Ashley and Nathan to PyeongChang.
Max: Don’t you all see me adding a consistent 4T this season? Dammit PCS.
Jason: Even without a quad I’m still peeing all over the rink. Nobody can claim consistency but me.
Vincent: That’s not how I train and who I am. I’ll kill you all at nationals.

misskarne

Yes well I will hold it against everyone who jinxed Max this morning :lol:

I am sure he'll put in a big comeback FS. Let's see how many of Zhou's URs get called tomorrow morning. I think this might be a bit of a marshmallow panel.

olympic

OK after todays SPs I am confident now that US Oly team should be

Nathan, Adam and Jason.

Even if these 3 should have a fall they have the PCS to recover from. Max and Vincent do not as of now.

Well, we still got the LP in a few hours.

I was pretty surprised at how dismally team USA performed generally, except in Ice Dance of course - Step down for Max, disaster for Vincent. I wasn't really expecting much from C/T in pairs or Polina, but still, it smarts to see those results.

I really had a feeling that Vincent was going to have a breakout moment. His cool-headed approach, fast rise, youth, energy and focus made me think he would surprise here at his 2nd GP. Alas, he surprised me ... for the opposite reason. But, maybe I wasn't paying attention to those precarious landings at CoC.

ETA - LP in France is over. Max ends up 7th. UGH. The string of US medals on the men's side has snapped. I think Max needed to hit another home run to be considered a viable alternative to Adam and Jason for an Olympic spot in the eyes of the USFSA, and I was rooting for him to do it. He will just have to give it 110% at Nationals.

ETA #2 - What are the configurations for who makes the GPF, w/ only 1 event remaining?

Last edited:

RoseRed

Well, we still got the LP in a few hours.

I was pretty surprised at how dismally team USA performed generally, except in Ice Dance of course - Step down for Max, disaster for Vincent. I wasn't really expecting much from C/T in pairs or Polina, but still, it smarts to see those results.

I really had a feeling that Vincent was going to have a breakout moment. His cool-headed approach, fast rise, youth, energy and focus made me think he would surprise here at his 2nd GP. Alas, he surprised me ... for the opposite reason. But, maybe I wasn't paying attention to those precarious landings at CoC.

ETA - LP in France is over. Max ends up 7th. UGH. The string of US medals on the men's side has snapped. I think Max needed to hit another home run to be considered a viable alternative to Adam and Jason for an Olympic spot in the eyes of the USFSA, and I was rooting for him to do it. He will just have to give it 110% at Nationals.

ETA #2 - What are the configurations for who makes the GPF, w/ only 1 event remaining?

So far, Shoma and Mikhail are the only ones in for sure.
  1. Shoma Uno — 28
  2. Mikhail Kolyada — 26
  3. Nathan Chen — 15
  4. Sergei Voronov — 15
  5. Boyang Jin — 13
  6. Adam Rippon — 13
Jason is next with 22 points (2nd, 4th), so Chen. Voronov, Jin and Rippon just have to beat him to to be in. Chen and Voronov only need 5th or above. Jin and Rippon beat Jason for sure with 3rd or above. With 4th, it comes down to total score. With 5th or below, Jason beats them. Jin would need 242.62 to beat Jason on total score, which is more than 20 points less than he got at his first event. Adam would need 245.11, which is about 16 points less than what he got at his first event.

Willin

Nathan, Adam, and Jason would be a strange Olympic team (based on the quad trend - two skaters wouldn't have consistent quads as opposed to one non-quad skater), but certainly a fun one to follow. Right now it looks like this is the most likely team, but strange things tend to happen.

If USFS wants two people with quads, I think Max definitely has the better case right now as opposed to Vincent.

ETA Sectionals Results thus far (Top 4 qualifying to Nationals):

Easterns
  1. Tim Dolensky - 238.35
  2. Kevin Shum - 193.39
  3. Jimmy Ma - 190.28
  4. Emmanuel Savary - 189.74 (4S landed, but no 3A - interesting to see)
Mids (Short only)
  1. Alex Johnson - 80.70
  2. Jordan Moeller - 76.47 (4S landed, but also no 3A)
  3. Tomoki Hiwatashi - 66.05 (4T< and fall)
  4. Luke West - 53.52
  5. Colton Johnson - 50.48
Coast (Short only)
  1. Sean Rabbitt - 65.15
  2. Daniel Kulenkamp - 61.62
  3. Scott Dyer - 58.89
  4. Sebastian Payannet - 58.73
  5. Shotaro Omori - 57.31

Last edited:

misskarne

I'm strangely calm about Max's 7th here. Trying to work through my reasoning for this:
  • Neither program was a total disaster. In fact, he only made two errors in the whole FS and stayed on his feet. (I am mad about his PCS, though. I thought the FS PCS was especially harsh. Especially in light of the splatfests further up that still got massive PCS *coughcoughShomaJaviercough*)
  • He didn't start dumping levels all over the place. Yes, he had a few level 3s, but it wasn't like he started dumping to 2s or 1s.
  • I think we can safely say quad toe is A Thing for him.
  • Stayed with his performances in both programs even when things started going wrong.
  • Finished the FS on a barnstorming charge that was stronger than how he started the program.
Oh yeah, I might be calmest because he comprehensively outskated Zhou. Again.

So generally, I'm quite pleased with how things are looking ahead of US Nationals.

Just please let the tech panel be more like Canada, less like France.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information