U.S. Men in 2017 - articles & latest news

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Boy have you missed a lot since the World championsips @JJS5056. :) But no matter, it's fairly easy to catch up.

Since this is U.S. men's thread, I will take the discussion surrounding U.S. ice dance and Olympic team event to U.S. ice dance thread. :)

Meanwhile:
Vote for Nathan Chen for Team USA's male athlete of the month! And the Shibs are up for team of the month.

https://awards.teamusa.org/

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Paraphrased tl;dr of Max's IceTalk interview:

He's all out of fcuks to give whether you like his choices or not (music/costumes). He would like you to make up your minds whether you'd like him to worry about his costumes or components. And he's doing it for himself, to enjoy his skating and make memories for him.

(Of course, still being an utter sweetheart, he didn't say it quite like that.)

And the proceeded to tear his own performances at CoC to shreds (and admit he forgot his steps during the FS :lol:)

Xela M

It would surprise me if Nathan didn't do both the SP and LP in the team - the U.S. isn't going to take any chances.

That would be insane given that he is going for Gold in the singles event! There is no way he will be able to skate 4 clean programs over a few days with the mad difficulty he is going for! And the stupid team event is first.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Last edited:

Willin

Jackie Wong tweeted the following and it has some bearing on American men so I'm

putting it here:

Jackie Wong‏ @rockerskating 4h4 hours ago

Per http://asahi.com and @chiburahakkai, Yuzuru Hanyu took a hard fall on 4Lz in practice and hurt his right leg or ankle; stopped practice but came back to do runthrough without jumps #NHK17 Article in Japanese: http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASKC95GV4KC9UTQP01C.html …
I don't think it means anything for the US men. Yuzuru will still compete even when injured, no matter how bad the injury is, unless he physically cannot skate.

Though, when he does skate injured, he can be hit and miss, so it certainly helps Adam and Jason's chances at NHK.

misskarne

Though, when he does skate injured, he can be hit and miss, so it certainly helps Adam and Jason's chances at NHK.

I can understand the thinking. If Hanyu pulls out, both Jason and Adam might finish higher than they otherwise might expect to. This in turn could impact GPF qualification, especially since both Max and Vincent are facing a potentially rather stiff field in France (including Fernandez who's out of GPF running but could screw other people up if he finishes well).

Willin

@misskarne Not only that, but at the Olympics it could really help Nathan's chances. Hanyu tends to disregard injuries that aren't minor as minor injuries, just making them worse or making them take longer to heal. I get that he loves the sport and I respect that, but if the injury (R ankle - the landing one) isn't given time to rest without all jumping, he may be setting himself up for a worse injury that takes him out of the Olympics or make his Olympics rough. And then, if Nathan beats him or wins, people will question if it was really a win because Hanyu was out or injured.

Honestly, I hope he rests because it's better for everyone that way.

misskarne

I am surprised by Jason's scores (relative to Adam's) given his jump mistakes.

Not really. Apart from the 3A none of the jumps mistakes were egregious enough to warrant massive GOE docking, and everything else that he did was superbly done with high quality. Even the popped combo was the very definition of #elegantpop and he made it look intentional. So he collected up big on the GOE side of things and then of course he did well on the PCS side of things, as he should have.

Jammers

Jason needs to capitalize on Hanyu being out. He probably was the favorite when Hanyu withdrew but didn't skate like it and there is no way he should be losing to some of these skaters and he will kick himself if he blows it.

DreamSkates

I think Nathan will do the short and Jason will do the free. Nathan is the US’s best chance for gold. It would be a huge mistake to put him out there for both programs in the team event. The short program scores have much more impact on the final result & will give Nathan a chance to get out on Olympic ice without completely exhausting him. Jason is consistent, has been to the Olympics before & will in some cases be skating against other country’s #2 skater.
My current vote is Rippon after his very good result at NHK.

DreamSkates

Aftershocks said "I doubt Nathan is looking over his shoulder."
Looking over one's shoulder is just a "saying" meaning the other men are chasing the leader, not that he is looking at the past. He has always been forward looking - he said he saw the state of US men's skating and decided to change that by learning the quads he now does.

I doubt he is unaware of what the other men are doing and earning point-wise. So yes, he and his coach are looking over their shoulders, strategizing and calculating, not only for the next US Nationals but also for Olympic podium placement.

GreatLakesGal

I actually really love Adam’s FS and thought he skated beautifully today. I was really happy for him. I thought the judges could have been a little more generous on PCS with him today. I wish he could use the 4T because he was able to land it cleanly last year.

I would at least have given him the highest marks for interpretation. So beautiful to watch; even his costume was perfection. Bravo, Adam! You finally did it!

Vagabond

Some time ago, someone on NBC, probably Johnny Weir, drew a distinction between Jason Brown and Joshua Farris, calling the latter an "interpretive artist," and the former a "choreographed artist." Brown's :yawn: FS music drives this point home. I see some beautiful footwork and positions, but I don't feel that he is interpreting the music so much as moving in step with it. He got his highest mark for Interpretation, but I would have made it his lowest or second lowest.

VGThuy

I used to feel that way and I think Rohene’s over indulgent choreography makes that critique more valid. However, I’m in love with Jason’s last two LPs and prefer that over showman Jason, even if his more interpretive programs can also be showy. I never got into Farris and felt he was way overrated.

jlai

Question everything
I love Josh's S. List and his short in 2015, but I do admit he needed knee bend and edging compared to other world class skaters.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
I think the NHK results are good news for Max and Vincent oddly. I think one of them is getting an Olympic spot and Adam and Jason are fighting for the same spot. If Jason had been better this weekend he and Adam might have had better odds to both make it, but I don’t see it happening now. Well unless the other 2 bomb next week which I don’t foresee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information