U.S. Men 2021-22 season news & updates

Trillian

I read he’s made @1$million this year plus Olympics so if he’s feeling tired from this year why go to Worlds. He also had an injury before Olys so why take a chance.

Take a chance on what? Unless he’s at risk of some kind of truly catastrophic injury, which I doubt, I can’t think of a single thing he has to lose. If he wins, great; if he loses, no one besides skating fans will notice; and if an injury does knock him out for a while, he probably wasn’t going to compete anyway. I’m surprised, but it’ll be fun to see him out there again.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
I am selfishly hoping for at least one more Worlds from Nathan. I'm not ready to say goodbye to one of my all time favorite skaters. 🥺 On the other hand, it is true that he was nursing some kind of a hip/groin 'thing', depending on the interview. I would prefer he puts his health first, and of course he has the SOI tour coming up, then back to Yale. I do hope that in the next couple of years, as Nathan approaches graduation, and if his mind, body, and spirit are willing and able, that he strongly considers one more Olympic run. ❤🤍💙🙏🔥🔥🔥⛸⛸

Last edited:

AnnM

That looks like Raf's default expression, but I'm betting he's more interested in getting Chen back to regular routine than having a vacation.
Apart from the facial expression, it was the change in body language coupled with Raf's recent answer to an interview question on this topic that made me feel like that. I don't particularly care either way - whatever makes Nathan happy - but I love trying to decipher Raf!

DreamSkates

Take a chance on what? Unless he’s at risk of some kind of truly catastrophic injury, which I doubt, I can’t think of a single thing he has to lose. If he wins, great; if he loses, no one besides skating fans will notice; and if an injury does knock him out for a while, he probably wasn’t going to compete anyway. I’m surprised, but it’ll be fun to see him out there again.
Further injury. Which can have long term consequences. His choice of course. If he goes to Worlds I’ll wish him the best and cheer him on.

barbk

livetoskate

I don’t think I knew how much free coaching from Raf Nathan received. No wonder Raf is like a dad to him.

I’m idly curious what the story is with Nathan’s dad. He is never mentioned in any story, and Nathan doesn’t talk about him.
Surprisingly, he did mention his dad briefly during one of his media interviews. He was asked about how surprised he was to see his mom walk into the studio of the Today Show with the pizza for him. Nathan said he was really surprised because he assumed she was at home with his dad. In general, I've heard of lots of skating families where the dad isn't as supportive of the child skating and doesn't want to pay for it, & the mom is the parent scrambling to keep the child skating, so who knows if it was that kind of situation.

clairecloutier

New article about Vincent in the Brown Daily Herald:

Sounds like he will likely put skating on the backburner next year as he returns to Brown (although nothing is definite yet).

Stephanie

Egna Spring Trophy entries published here: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...22-international-assignments-and-results.aspx

Senior: Liam Kapeikis (a bit strange that he's doing this just a few days before junior worlds, but I'm happy he's getting the chance to obtain senior minimums)
Junior: Kai Kovar (first alternate to junior worlds, could well go if Ilia Malinin decides not to go after all)
Novice: Hagueto - think this is Kirk Hagueto from North Jersey FSC who skated intermediate this year

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Egna Spring Trophy entries published here: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...22-international-assignments-and-results.aspx

Senior: Liam Kapeikis (a bit strange that he's doing this just a few days before junior worlds, but I'm happy he's getting the chance to obtain senior minimums)
Junior: Kai Kovar (first alternate to junior worlds, could well go if Ilia Malinin decides not to go after all)
Novice: Hagueto - think this is Kirk Hagueto from North Jersey FSC who skated intermediate this year
Kapeikis could need his senior minimums in order to be put in the GP selection pool, otherwise, I'd have probably assigned him to compete as a junior just to get at least one junior competition under his belt prior to Jr Worlds.

We'll have to see where Malinin places at Worlds - my guess is his decision on Jr Worlds will rest, somewhat, on the WS points he earns - if winning Jr Worlds would get him more points than whatever he's earned at Worlds then he'll compete in Tallinn. The USFS is usually really good about spreading around the ISU Championships assignments during an Olympic season in order to set their skaters up for the following season's GP selections.

Sylvia

TBD
Kapeikis could need his senior minimums in order to be put in the GP selection pool, otherwise, I'd have probably assigned him to compete as a junior just to get at least one junior competition under his belt prior to Jr Worlds.
I didn’t realize that Liam Kapeikis is currently unranked in the ISU World Standings (no points for his 10th place finish at the 2020 Youth Olympic Games) so it would make sense that he get an opportunity to get some WS points before Junior Worlds if he can place in the top 5 in his Senior international debut at Egna Spring Trophy next month.
Yes, it’s Kirk Haugeto (spelling of his last name has since been corrected on the International Assignments page).

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Not going to Worlds after the Olympics is quite common.
Here is what Nathan has to lose.
1. Chance of injuring an already tired body.
2. Nathan coming in anywhere other than First Place, puts a little tarnish on that OG
3. There is a re-resurgence of Covid across Europe. Risky Business. Who knows how this will play out.
4. OH! Almost forgot the war in Ukraine. I don't see Putin stopping any time soon. Even though the war is "Over there" it is everywhere.
5. And then there is NATO article 5.

The key text of Article 5 says that "an armed attack against one or more" NATO members "shall be considered an attack against them all," and that in this scenario, the members agree to "assist the party or parties so attacked" with "such action as it deems necessary, including the use of armed force."
Nightmare. If Article 5 is invoked the US will have to participate.

At best, Worlds will be a watered-down field. So what is the point for Nathan competing? He has won everything, everywhere. He is the best in the World. But then, I am pretty much risk-adverse (well except for riding my horse).

Sylvia

TBD

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
At best, Worlds will be a watered-down field. So what is the point for Nathan competing? He has won everything, everywhere. He is the best in the World. But then, I am pretty much risk-adverse (well except for riding my horse).

Have you looked at the Men's entries for Worlds? The entire Olympic podium, as well as #5, 7, and 10-14, plus Vincent and Ilia who didn't get to compete in Beijing. That is NOT a watered down field.

Maybe Nathan wants to compete in front of family and friends. Maybe he wants to enjoy a trip to the South of France.

Heck, he hasn't even ruled out continuing to compete in future seasons in the most recent interview posted in his fan thread in The Trash Can. At this rate, I'm not sure we can rule him out of showing up at US Classic, Nationals, and Worlds the next few sarsons while he focuses on college. I think he just really enjoys the process and loves skating.

sk9tingfan

Have you looked at the Men's entries for Worlds? The entire Olympic podium, as well as #5, 7, and 10-14, plus Vincent and Ilia who didn't get to compete in Beijing. That is NOT a watered down field.

Maybe Nathan wants to compete in front of family and friends. Maybe he wants to enjoy a trip to the South of France.

Heck, he hasn't even ruled out continuing to compete in future seasons in the most recent interview posted in his fan thread in The Trash Can. At this rate, I'm not sure we can rule him out of showing up at US Classic, Nationals, and Worlds the next few sarsons while he focuses on college. I think he just really enjoys the process and loves skating.
ITA. Also, he was able to coach himself and touch base with Rafael Arutunian during the first two years. IMO, he knows he needs the intellectual stimulation that Yale offers as well as a break from the usual, all pervasive traditional, elite skating approach. If it were not for the crud, I think that he would have left the Yale campus less than a year before to focus more on the Olympics.

Trillian

Not going to Worlds after the Olympics is quite common.
Here is what Nathan has to lose.
1. Chance of injuring an already tired body.

Nathan is old enough and experienced enough to weigh whether he’s at high risk of injury - beyond the base level risk involved in participating in elite skating at all. I assume if he’s decided to compete, he’s not concerned about something catastrophic happening.

2. Nathan coming in anywhere other than First Place, puts a little tarnish on that OG

For whom? Skating fans know exactly how dominant he’s been for the last four years and won’t care, and the every-four-years crowd has already moved on. IMO this is a nonissue.

3. There is a re-resurgence of Covid across Europe. Risky Business. Who knows how this will play out.
4. OH! Almost forgot the war in Ukraine. I don't see Putin stopping any time soon. Even though the war is "Over there" it is everywhere.
5. And then there is NATO article 5.

I don’t remember when I made my original post that was quoted here, but at the moment I’d say it’s as safe for Nathan to participate as it is for anyone else. And obviously that’s a YMMV situation, but I wouldn’t expect those factors to impact his decision any more or less than they do for anyone else.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

Well, happy for me! I love to watch him do almost anything!

However, do they all know there is a war going on over there? I would sure get insurance for my tickets and air fair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information