U.S. Men 2019-20 season - news & updates

jlai

Question everything
Top Junior Men scores thus far- (and top novice scores)

Ilia Malinin 201.84 Philadelphia E (intl) (also 201.72 @ JGP)
Maxim Naumov 192.78 Cranberry E (179.15 @ JGP)
Matthew Nielsen (186.71 @ JGP) 170.72 Broadmoor Open M
Eric Sjoberg 183.91 Glacier Falls P
Joseph Klein (182.88 @ JGP) /150.73 Broadmoor (Novice) M
Liam Kapeikis 180.96 Seattle Ice Fest P (162.33 @ JGP)
Nicholas Hsieh 174.09 Skate Wilmington E
Goku Endo 170.48 Glacier Falls P
Daniel Martynov 170.16 Southport (Novice) M
William Annis 162.75 Cranberry E
Daniel Argueta 157.57 Detroit M
Eric Prober 152.10 Philadelphia E
Lucas Altieri 151.99 Broadmoor E

SENIOR MEN top summer club comp scores-

Jimmy Ma 219 Detroit E
Andrew Torgashev 212 Philadelphia M (196.23 @ JGP)
Ryan Dunk 209 Glacier Falls E (188.39 @ JGP)
Alexei Krasnozhon 208 Detroit (bye to Nats)
Sean Rabbitt 205 Golden West P
Dinh Tran 197 Detroit P
Joonsoo Kim 192 Collegiate P
Sebastien Payannet 189 Golden West P
Camden Pulkinen 186 Philadelphia M
Daniel Kulenkamp 181 Golden West P

TBD: Nathan Chen, Jason Brown, Vincent Zhou, Tomoki Hiwatashi
Just wanna say, so far the actual FALL internationals scores don't necessarily reflect how the skaters did in the summer.

While Ilia and ANnis did in jgp about how they did at their best comp in the summer, Nielson outperformed his summer competitions results. Klein outperformed his summer competitions by a lot. Couple of skaters did much better in the summer, however. :(
Camden also has exceeded summer results in the short in Canada.

SkateFanBerlin

Camden showed fight yesterday, though I think he performed only a portion of his content. What I didn't like was the look of his jumps. One of his best qualities is the beauty of the skating. Yesterday his jump legs werre more open, "egg-beater" style. It doesn't look as nice and from what I understand it is less efficient that straight down, gapless legs.

Sylvia

TBD
Pulkinen landed a 4T< in his SP at Autumn Classic (clip): https://twitter.com/CamdenPulk/status/1173274912179609600

ISU Season Best total scores of all the U.S. men who've competed so far this season:

216.25 Camden PULKINEN USA ISU CS Autumn Classic International 2019 (5th)
201.72 Ilia MALININ USA ISU JGP Lake Placid 2019 (4th)
196.23 Andrew TORGASHEV USA ISU JGP Riga Cup 2019 (4th)
188.39 Ryan DUNK USA ISU JGP Lake Placid 2019 (5th)
186.71 Matthew NIELSEN USA ISU JGP Grand Prix de Courchevel 2019 (6th)
182.88 Joseph KLEIN USA ISU JGP Lake Placid 2019 (7th)
179.15 Maxim NAUMOV USA ISU JGP Grand Prix de Courchevel 2019 (7th)
167.54 William ANNIS USA ISU JGP Chelyabinsk 2019 (12th)
162.33 Liam KAPEIKIS USA ISU JGP Riga Cup 2019 (11th)
153.26 Eric SJOBERG USA ISU JGP Chelyabinsk 2019 (14th)

Upcoming:
U.S. International Classic this week: Vincent Zhou, Tomoki Hiwatashi, Alex Krasnozhon, Jimmy Ma
JGP Gdansk this week: Ryan Dunk, Dinh Tran
Nebelhorn: Jason Brown (eta: refer to post #250 below)
JGP Zagreb: Andrew Torgashev, Daniel Martynov (debut)
JGP Egna: Ilia Malinin, TBA
Japan Open (FS on Oct. 5): Nathan Chen, Vincent Zhou

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
... Yaroslav Paniot (213.80) who, interestingly, is registered for USFS' NQS and currently 2nd in the standings behind Jimmy Ma (219.95 at Skate Detroit).
There was an article from the Ukranian test skates where it mentioned that he [Paniot] had asked to be released to skate for another country, which was believed to be the US.
Yaroslav Paniot mentions "regionals is soon" in his latest IG post: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2h351XJ3-K/
He and his coach, "Slava" Zagorodnyuk, were at the Pasadena Open this past weekend and took a selfie with Adam Rippon: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2ddmDXpmzL/
Only 2 senior men competed in Pasadena: Paniot (195.20) and Sebastien Payannet (175.87).

jlai

Question everything
What is the deal with Ukrainian skaters skating for other countries? Aren’t there Ukrainian ice dancers skating for other countries too?

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Maybe he feels more at home here and doesn't really like going to Euros that much. Also it feels like US skaters have more fun, I imagine.

Sylvia

TBD
Paniot last competed for Ukraine at NHK Trophy in November 2018: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013671.htm
He didn't compete at UKR Nationals last December due to an injury he aggravated at NHK, according to Zagorodnyuk at the time. Unless someone asks him and/or his coach directly about his decision, it's all just speculation at this point (obviously).

Tavi

@Tavi Broadsided as in side-swiped or broadsided as in T-boned? Both can be really nasty! I hope he recovers quickly.

Doug Haw said he was T boned. He (Doug) was at TCC over Labor Day weekend and reported that Jason was back to doing all triples including 3A and looked really great. So something must have happened since then. Jason has been totally silent so hard to know what’s really going on.

bethy135

My teenager got a concussion from a car accident a few years ago - we were rear ended hard. At that time her treatment was lying in a dark room doing nothing for several days. No talking, reading, no music, and most definitely NO screen time. Basically she couldn't do anything that stimulated the brain any more than necessary. Brain rest.

Every situation and individual is obviously different. She gradually got back into things and her sport. But basically any time she started getting a headache she had to stop what she was doing and rest. Took several weeks. Training for the GP circuit is probably more intense than anything she was doing at the time.

Tavi

My teenager got a concussion from a car accident a few years ago - we were rear ended hard. At that time her treatment was lying in a dark room doing nothing for several days. No talking, reading, no music, and most definitely NO screen time. Basically she couldn't do anything that stimulated the brain any more than necessary. Brain rest.

Every situation and individual is obviously different. She gradually got back into things and her sport. But basically any time she started getting a headache she had to stop what she was doing and rest. Took several weeks. Training for the GP circuit is probably more intense than anything she was doing at the time.

I’m sorry your daughter went through that, and I hope she is fully recovered.

Thankfully, USFS does have a concussion protocol.

Based on Doug Haw’s comments, it sounds like Jason was off the ice for some period of time, but what we don’t know is whether symptoms emerged after he started back training (over Labor Day, Doug was at TCC and saw him doing all triples up to 3A and said he looked great) or if being off ice simply interrupted his training time enough that he just feels unready to compete next week. Hopefully it’s the latter. In any case, his father apparently told Jason’s fan club that he will be fine, so that’s great, positive news!

Hoping he will recover in time to compete at Skate America, but if not, the important thing is that he takes as much time as he needs to be fully healthy.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
SENIOR MEN top summer/fall comp scores-

Vincent Zhou (231 US Intl)
Alexei Krasnozhon (230 US Intl) 208 Detroit
Jimmy Ma 219 Detroit E (200 US Intl)
Camden Pulkinen (216 Autumn Classic) 186 Philadelphia M
Tomoki Hiwatashi (214 US Intl)
Andrew Torgashev 212 Philadelphia M (196.23 @ JGP)
Ryan Dunk 209 Glacier Falls E (205.90 @ JGP)
Sean Rabbitt 205 Golden West P
Dinh Tran 197 Detroit P (175.23 @ JGP)
Joonsoo Kim 192 Collegiate P
Sebastien Payannet 189 Golden West P
Daniel Kulenkamp 181 Golden West P

TBD: Nathan Chen (Skate America), Jason Brown (recovering injury)

JUNIOR (to be updated tomorrow after Challenge Skate)

Ilia Malinin 201.84 Philadelphia E (intl) (also 201.72 @ JGP)
Maxim Naumov 192.78 Cranberry E (179.15 @ JGP)
Matthew Nielsen (186.71 @ JGP) 170.72 Broadmoor Open M
Eric Sjoberg 183.91 Glacier Falls P (153.26 @ JGP)
Joseph Klein (182.88 @ JGP) /150.73 Broadmoor (Novice) M
Liam Kapeikis 180.96 Seattle Ice Fest P (162.33 @ JGP)
Nicholas Hsieh 174.09 Skate Wilmington E
Goku Endo 170.48 Glacier Falls P
Daniel Martynov 170.16 Southport (Novice) M
William Annis (167.54 @ JGP) 162.75 Cranberry E
Daniel Argueta 157.57 Detroit M
Lucas Broussard 156.48 SLC Challenge Skate Novice P
Eric Prober 152.10 Philadelphia E
Lucas Altieri 151.99 Broadmoor E

olympic

Vincent had a decent start but floundered in the LP. I'm not too worried about him. He seems to be a late season bloomer.

The bright point was Alexei. He really looks like he's making a big effort on the artistic sign and congrats to him on getting the 4L around!

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I like the look of Alexei this year. A little early-season, but he's making big steps.

Vincent...the URs just aren't getting any better. I hope the TP calls them hard this year. He needs to know. Better not be any coach hissy fits this year if they do.

layman

Vincent looked rough. It was a nice program that he did not live up to. It looked like he was jet-lagged or tired. He seems to be delaying his rotations to the point that he could not complete them, hence the fall on the quad lutz and the underrotations on everything else. I loved Tomoki's music and programs. I think Alexei K has made huge strides artiscally since last season and it was great to see him (finally) land his quad loop (his nemesis for the past few seasons).

layman

Loving Alexei K's SP:

The music and choreography are so innovative and I have never seen Alexei skate with this much artistic expression! He is taking a page from Nathan Chen's book.

Jammers

Vincent looked rough. It was a nice program that he did not live up to. It looked like he was jet-lagged or tired. He seems to be delaying his rotations to the point that he could not complete them, hence the fall on the quad lutz and the underrotations on everything else. I loved Tomoki's music and programs. I think Alexei K has made huge strides artiscally since last season and it was great to see him (finally) land his quad loop (his nemesis for the past few seasons).
Vincent always looks rough at the start of a new season for some reason. But he seems to peak at the right time at the end of the season if you look at the past 3 years.

clairecloutier

I like the look of Alexei this year. A little early-season, but he's making big steps.

Loving Alexei K's SP:

The music and choreography are so innovative and I have never seen Alexei skate with this much artistic expression! He is taking a page from Nathan Chen's book.

Just a mention—for anyone who missed it earlier—that Alex Johnson choreographed Alexei K’s programs this year. (Glad to see that people are enjoying the programs!)

Sylvia

TBD
Matthew Nielsen won the U.S. Challenge Skate Junior Men's event in Salt Lake City yesterday (184.87 total, 66.55 2nd in SP, 118.32 1st in SP); Lucas Altieri was 2nd (183.02) and Maxim Naumov 3rd (180.80). Final standings/link to protocols: https://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2019/28864/CAT007SEG014.html

Replay video of FS: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/watch/?Archive=777

#5 Joseph Kang's 4th place FS (108.49) starts at the 32 minute mark and is followed by Goku Endo's 6th place (103.21) FS.
#7 Liam Kapeikis's 5th place FS (108.16) starts at 49:00 & he was credited with landing 6 triples.
#9 Joseph Klein's 7th place FS (99.95) starts at 1:03. He added 3Lz (fell out) for the first time in competition; Damon Allen (who I assume coaches Klein when he visits CO Springs) was with him here.
#10 Matthew Nielsen's winning FS (118.32) starts at 1:09. He landed 7 triples, 6 cleanly, including 3Lz+3T.
#11 Lucas Altieri's 2nd place FS (116.53) starts at 1:15. He landed two 3Lz & 3S+half loop+3S combo in 2nd half.
The final skater, Maxim Naumov, starts at 1:21; he fell on both 3A attempts at the beginning and skated well after that.

There were 6 JGP men in this field (Nielsen, Naumov, Kapeikis and Klein this year; Kang competed last year and Endo in 2017 when he was still a novice).

SP replay video: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/watch/?Archive=771

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Vincent looked rough. It was a nice program that he did not live up to. It looked like he was jet-lagged or tired. He seems to be delaying his rotations to the point that he could not complete them, hence the fall on the quad lutz and the underrotations on everything else.

No, Vincent's rotations looked how they always look, under. Yes, he looked a bit worse than usual in the FS - but let's not pretend the URs are a shocking surprise, here.

sk8nlizard

No, Vincent's rotations looked how they always look, under. Yes, he looked a bit worse than usual in the FS - but let's not pretend the URs are a shocking surprise, here.
While I agree the under rotations aren’t a surprise, that is a consistent issue for him...I thought the under rotations were worse than normal here. They did not look like typical Vincent jumps (and I’m not a Vincent fan).

Spun Silver

Has Vincent started at Dartmouth, I mean Brown, this semester? It could just be a really tough month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information