U.S. Men 2019-20 season - news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
Liam Kapeikis finished 10th at the Youth Olympic Games (14th in SP, 9th in FS), was drawn for the YOG Mixed NOC Team event and improved his FS score, setting a new ISU personal best of 117.28 in that segment.

Ilia Malinin posted an Instagram story at the beginning of the Youth Olympic Games that he injured his back the day before he was supposed to fly to Lausanne and that's why he withdrew. Unfortunately, Malinin has also withdrawn from Nationals. :(

Article on Joseph Klein, 15, who won the Midwestern Sectional Novice title to qualify for the Junior event at Nationals (in his younger days he was inspired by Jason Brown when he skated in Chicago):
Excerpt:
He spent about seven weeks total training with a different team of coaches in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and worked with his high school to re-balance his schedule. He starts his school day at 8 a.m., attends three periods and gets out at around 1:30 p.m. He skates before and after school, and has off-ice training after skating.
"It's always really difficult with missing all the school because of skating," Klein said. "But I still try to keep my grades up. I've had straight As for the past few years now. I'm a freshman in high school so it's about to get a lot harder, but I'm still keeping it up."
"There were definitely a lot of ups and downs," Klein said of his season. "I think towards the beginning of the season, it was a little sloppy, but as I got later into the season I kind of pulled everything together, and I've been improving since then."

clairecloutier

Vincent Zhou frankly declares himself more “not ready” than “ready” for Nationals this week:

It sounds like he managed to wind up his first semester at Brown. But he couldn’t get any ice time at Brown, and commuting to train in Boston didn’t work out. He considered taking the whole season off, but decided to come back for the second half of the season.

barbk

Vincent Zhou frankly declares himself more “not ready” than “ready” for Nationals this week:

It sounds like he managed to wind up his first semester at Brown. But he couldn’t get any ice time at Brown, and commuting to train in Boston didn’t work out. He considered taking the whole season off, but decided to come back for the second half of the season.

Wow. I can't believe he didn't evaluate ice time availability before picking Brown. Yikes.

Hedwig

Antique member
They have an ice rink at the college. And they couldn't dish out a few hours a week of ice time for a World medallist? I am a bit shocked. I know how hard ice-time is being fought for at rinks but this is ridiculous.

Vagabond

They have an ice rink at the college. And they couldn't dish out a few hours a week of ice time for a World medallist? I am a bit shocked. I know how hard ice-time is being fought for at rinks but this is ridiculous.
Brown has men's and women's varsity ice hockey teams (representing the University) and intramural competitions. Dozens of students participate in these programs. Why should it promote the interest of one student who does not represent the University when he competes at the expense of those who do?

Hedwig

Antique member
There are roundabout 16hours 7 days a week that an ice-rink can function. I refuse to believe that there are no 5-6 hours a week that could be used for a World medallist. :confused:
Especially since he is only one person so it could be scheduled in the mornings during free periods where most hockey teams would not be able to play.
Often this is just unwillingness to really look for a solution from rink management.
but well - a moot point now.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
There are roundabout 16hours 7 days a week that an ice-rink can function. I refuse to believe that there are no 5-6 hours a week that could be used for a World medallist. :confused:
Especially since he is only one person so it could be scheduled in the mornings during free periods where most hockey teams would not be able to play.
Often this is just unwillingness to really look for a solution from rink management.
but well - a moot point now.

It's too bad that Vince didn't go to Yale instead - they seem more accommodating to Olympic skaters. Vince is a world medallist as well as an Olympian. He deserves more respect imo.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I'm kind of enjoying Jason flying under the radar a bit. I have a gut feeling he's going to make a splash this weekend and forcibly remind people that he is the best damn PCS skater the US has and they better not forget it.

I also have a feeling...just a feeling, no more...it would be quite something if he went perfectly clean at Nationals.

Laney

I'm kind of enjoying Jason flying under the radar a bit. I have a gut feeling he's going to make a splash this weekend and forcibly remind people that he is the best damn PCS skater the US has and they better not forget it.

I also have a feeling...just a feeling, no more...it would be quite something if he went perfectly clean at Nationals.
Don't jinx him :eek: :eek: :eek: :lynch:

Willin

@Hedwig Universities are under no obligation to provide ice to anyone, and particularly at colleges they have a lot of open skate time for students in general - some college rinks also close for a couple hours a day due to college skating classes. Some also have public sessions for the general public and group lessons for the general public. Most of these rinks are also staffed by students, and that further limits open hours. Not to mention they like to keep ice closed for a while between sessions to preserve quality, or the fact that the varsity hockey players also do one-on-one private lessons, not just the team practices.
It should also be noted that within the skating community Ivies are kinda known to not like skaters much. Skating isn't quite the boon to your resume as much as other sports. Harvard's the only one known to "like" skaters. So perhaps Brown simply isn't very accommodating with their rink for that reason.
As far as I know Nathan isn't running into these problems because he isn't skating at a solely university owned-and-operated rink.

Vagabond

This isn't a commercial rink. It is a Brown University facility. There are several other rinks in the immediate area, but Zhou chose to go to Boston instead.

RoseRed

@Hedwig Universities are under no obligation to provide ice to anyone, and particularly at colleges they have a lot of open skate time for students in general - some college rinks also close for a couple hours a day due to college skating classes. Some also have public sessions for the general public and group lessons for the general public. Most of these rinks are also staffed by students, and that further limits open hours. Not to mention they like to keep ice closed for a while between sessions to preserve quality, or the fact that the varsity hockey players also do one-on-one private lessons, not just the team practices.
It should also be noted that within the skating community Ivies are kinda known to not like skaters much. Skating isn't quite the boon to your resume as much as other sports. Harvard's the only one known to "like" skaters. So perhaps Brown simply isn't very accommodating with their rink for that reason.
As far as I know Nathan isn't running into these problems because he isn't skating at a solely university owned-and-operated rink.
The Whale (Ingalls Rink) isn't owned and operated by Yale? Because I thought that's where he's mainly skating.

LeafOnTheWind

I don't remember which article I read and which semester it applied to but he did skate a little at the Yale rink and did other sessions at Cromwell.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Was the vid done at champs camp in the summer. Wasn't Jason in a serious taxi accident where he was injured during the camp.

Hasn't Jason also skated at no less than three different events between then and now (including SkAm)?

jlai

Question everything
Hasn't Jason also skated at no less than three different events between then and now (including SkAm)?
Considering how some of the skaters in the promo are not even top name skaters, I agree it is likely not intentional, likely something to do with logistics. It's also likely that the people shooting this don't know who the top names are other than Chen.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Jason was heavily featured in a video to experience the "magic of skating," so he's still on USFS's good list I would imagine.

barbarafan

yes...some elements watered down due to injury. But what I said was it is possible this was taped during champs camp when all the skaters were together.

Carolla5501

This isn't a commercial rink. It is a Brown University facility. There are several other rinks in the immediate area, but Zhou chose to go to Boston instead.

There are 2 ways to combine skating at this level and college. One is to plan and have the details as worked out as you can (Chen), the 2nd is to try to do it on the fly and hope it all works out. I think Zhou went with the 2nd option and it didn’t work out

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information