Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Emmy Ma made great impression today in Riga - in 3rd. Natural expression, position. Detailed and refined SS. Great Layback. Like a senior. Can't believe it's her 1st JGP season.
Yes, Emmy is a beautifully expressive skater (she won the Jr. SP at 2017 Nationals [ETA link to watch that memorable performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzQCS-de7Ao ] and is skating Senior domestically this season) -- her SP today in Riga received the highest PCS in the field; song is "One More Try" performed by Brenna Whitaker & choreographed by Jamie Isley (per Claire's interview): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxp8lENwg70
3 Emmy MA USA 59.92 32.60 27.32 6.64 6.68 6.86 6.86 7.11 0.00 #32
8 Ashley LIN USA 54.57 30.06 24.51 6.00 5.93 6.21 6.25 6.25 0.00 #11
Lin's SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daLNc7HdeRg
Jumps: 2A+, 3F+3T-, second half 3Lz(e).

Last edited:

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Congratulations to Emmy Ma! Her interpretation of music is very special, even among all the talents in US ladies. In some ways she reminds me of the detailed expression that Lu Chen was famous for.
I thought the exact same thing aboug Lu Chen. Congrats Emmy!

kwanatic

So great to see Emmy deliver under pressure and get that bronze medal. First one for the US women this season!

Her SP was just gorgeous and I enjoyed her FS as well. She's expressive and clean and it was so nice to see the judges reward her for that. I'm actually impressed with the scoring overall this season...judges aren't going nuts with the scoring...yet.

Congrats to Emmy!

Sylvia

TBD
JGP Riga final results:
BRONZE - Emmy MA USA 172.62 3 4
6th - Ashley LIN USA 161.23 8 6

Ashley Lin was credited with landing 6 triples (7 planned) in her FS to Aranjuez: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZQN4H9Wy9I
Jumps: 3Lo+2T, 3Lz(e), 3F, second half 3F-half loop-3S, 2A+3T, popped loop, 2A. She pulled up 2 spots from the SP and set 2 ISU personal best scores (FS & total).

FS scores:
4 Emmy MA USA 112.70 56.68 56.02 6.75 6.75 7.11 7.04 7.36 0.00 #35 (2nd highest PCS)
6 Ashley LIN USA 106.66 55.74 50.92 6.29 6.21 6.46 6.36 6.50 0.00 #28

ETA:

Current JGP Ladies standings for the 6 U.S. ladies who've competed:
9 Emmy MA USA 11 3rd (172.62, 112.70 FS) - should get either #6 POL or #7 ITA
14 Kaitlyn NGUYEN USA 7 5th (161.42, 107.15 FS) - assigned to #5 CRO
15 Starr ANDREWS 7 5th (159.28, 99.35 FS)
16 Ashley LIN USA 5 6th (161.23, 106.66 FS)
17 Ting CUI USA 5 6th (150.95, 95.61 FS)
30 Angelina HUANG USA 1 10th (134.10, 92.42 FS)

Tessa Hong is next up by herself at JGP #4 in Minsk, Sept. 20-23.

Last edited:

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Ma should get a second JGP since she medaled. That leaves one JGP spot left for a U.S. lady. Andrews placed higher at her event; Lin scored higher at her event. That looks like a difficult decision, which could become even more difficult if Hong does well next week. I hope whichever lady isn't chosen is assigned a Senior B. Frankly, I hope Ma also gets a Senior B in addition to her second JGP assignment. If you're good enough to medal on the JGP, you're good enough to potentially contend for a 4CC spot so she'll need her senior minimums as well.

Frida80

Ma should get a second JGP since she medaled. That leaves one JGP spot left for a U.S. lady. Andrews placed higher at her event; Lin scored higher at her event. That looks like a difficult decision, which could become even more difficult if Hong does well next week. I hope whichever lady isn't chosen is assigned a Senior B. Frankly, I hope Ma also gets a Senior B in addition to her second JGP assignment. If you're good enough to medal on the JGP, you're good enough to potentially contend for a 4CC spot so she'll need her senior minimums as well.

Tessa still needs her senior minimums so she'll be sent. Emmy will be sent for mins, most likely.

Debbie S

Tessa earned the min for 4CC at the Philly International comp. She just missed the min for Worlds (has the SP, needs the FS), but not sure that's a concern for this season.

Frida80

Tessa earned the min for 4CC at the Philly International comp. She just missed the min for Worlds (has the SP, needs the FS), but not sure that's a concern for this season.

Frank will want Tessa at the Olympics and worlds. He will demand a CS for her.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
Congratulations to Emmy Ma. Of course she's going to get a second JGP. I just wonder if TPTB will move some assignments around to give Ma the best chance to medal again/qualify for the JGPF. My feeling is that's what might happen but I'd rather she end up in the toughest field possible for her second JGP because while she may not be able to keep up TES wise, her presentation is amongst the best I've seen across the international junior field this season.

Frida80

True but if she has the TES for 4CC, she has the TES for the Olympics, since they're the same. Worlds can be worried about later.

I don't think so. Tessa won't have a chance to get a body of work without a CS. If she medals at a CS, Frank can make the argument that she's ready to go to the Olympics. Frank would never allow one of his skaters not to go to worlds if they qualify. It has to happen in the fall. There's no time after nationals if she qualifies for both the Olympics and Worlds.

There are four CS left. Chances are they will send six ladies to them. Or nine. I think It will be Amber, Courtney, Caroline, and Angela will be sent. Vivian, Franchesca, Avery, and Hannah are the list of substitutes. Though I don't think all of them will get a slot. There is room for Tessa on the CS.

Debbie S

Tessa is a great up-and-coming talent, but I'm not sure why she's being discussed in terms of Worlds and Olys. Her Senior debut at Nats last year wasn't particularly stellar (great SP, bad FS) and she didn't do that well in Philly last month. I'm sure Frank wants a lot of things, but for now, I imagine he and Tessa are focused primarily on skating well on the *Junior* circuit and qualifying for the JGPF.

I think USFS would want to see more than a medal at 1 CS event when considering skaters for the Olys. Realistically, barring disaster or injury, Ashley and Karen have 2 of the 3 Olys spots all but wrapped up, and there are plenty of Senior Ladies in contention for the 3rd spot with a much more impressive 'body of work' than Tessa's.

Frida80

Tessa is a great up-and-coming talent, but I'm not sure why she's being discussed in terms of Worlds and Olys. Her Senior debut at Nats last year wasn't particularly stellar (great SP, bad FS) and she didn't do that well in Philly last month. I'm sure Frank wants a lot of things, but for now, I imagine he and Tessa are focused primarily on skating well on the *Junior* circuit and qualifying for the JGPF.

I think USFS would want to see more than a medal at 1 CS event when considering skaters for the Olys. Realistically, barring disaster or injury, Ashley and Karen have 2 of the 3 Olys spots all but wrapped up, and there are plenty of Senior Ladies in contention for the 3rd spot with a much more impressive 'body of work' than Tessa's.

Oh I agree that Tessa is up and coming, but I'm only thinking of Frank's mind set. Qualifying for the JGPF is nearly impossible considering the level that the Russians are competing at. The JGPF spots are nearly locked up already! Her best hope is a CS medal that is less attended like the Ukraine or Poland.

You see, I heard Frank was set on retiring after this quad. Then suddenly after nationals he scoops up Tessa. Everyone believes that he wants to continue his streak of developing a skater and have her place highly at the Olympics, like Gracie and Mirai. I think it's long shot and I don't like how Tessa is being hyped. I too would like her to develop at her own pace. But I get the feeling that he will push for Tessa to have more senior experience before nationals.

That said, I don't see what the big deal is if any of the juniors go on the CS. Konstantinova did the CS last year and won a medal. That helped her get 2nd at Russian junior and earn a spot on the JW team. It's a good way to gets skaters experience and ready for JW and nationals. Plus more WS points will allow them to start later at JW and earn more PCS points. Seems like a good idea to me.

Lutzlvr

I just want to say I'm in love with Emmy Ma. Yeah she doesn't have the most difficult TES to be truly competitive right now, but she brought something really refreshing on the ice today. I also found this great and substantive interview with her:

https://adivinesport.com/2017/06/21/interview-with-emmy-ma-june-2017/

I really enjoyed reading that.
Great article on Emmy! I remember her musicality as a juvenile and I'm happy that she is having a great season. As the interview shows, she is bright, thoughtful and appreciative of what skating means in her life - she seems to truly recognize what a privilege it is to be able to skate and is enjoying the journey (which in turn, makes her so enjoyable for me to watch!). It is hard to ignore the competitive aspects of the sport, but perhaps the past seasons/injuries have given her more freedom from her own/others' expectations.

Jammers

Emmy was great. I'd hate to see her become another Emily Chan a beautiful skater who unfortunately never mastered the harder jumps and has been left behind. It's funny only about 8 years ago you didn't really need a 3-3 to medal or even win on the JGP but the Russian girls and Gracie sure changed the game didn't they? Those girls were doing harder jumps then the Senior Ladies were doing back in 2011-12 and made them push themselves to do harder jumps.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Just watched Emmy MA's two programs. Very, very expressive and musical. I hope that she can maintain her jumps as she progresses this season. She'll be "prime time" (age 17) at Natls and Olympics. Eyes on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information