U.S. Ice Dance 2023-24 news & updates

Spiralgraph

The results from Golden Spin are very interesting where they concern USA ice dance. I'm not even sure what to make of it.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Emilea fell, otherwise I'm sure their score would have been 190+.
They def would have scored higher, but this is also not the first time she's had issues in a skate this season. So I feel like saying they score fine if they skate clean is kind of a wash, because it's not ever a sure thing they'll skate clean. I still think they fall into a scoring group with the Browns as opposed to being in the same scoring group as green/parsons and cpom.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
They def would have scored higher, but this is also not the first time she's had issues in a skate this season. So I feel like saying they score fine if they skate clean is kind of a wash, because it's not ever a sure thing they'll skate clean. I still think they fall into a scoring group with the Browns as opposed to being in the same scoring group as green/parsons and cpom.
Agreed. It's similar situation for Pedersen/Chen on the junior level. Prove to me you can skate clean consistently and then we'll talk.

layman

Still...Kolesnik/Zingas placed 2nd overall at Golden Spin with a fall in their Free (falls in Ice Dance can sometimes drop a team right out of medal contention)...that says something important about their scoring potential and talent.

We often forget that this is Emiliea's 2nd year in Ice Dance. I think she has come a loooong way in a very short amount of time.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Still...Kolesnik/Zingas placed 2nd overall at Golden Spin with a fall in their Free (falls in Ice Dance can sometimes drop a team right out of medal contention)...that says something important about their scoring potential and talent.

We often forget that this is Emiliea's 2nd year in Ice Dance. I think she has come a loooong way in a very short amount of time.
I dunno... Take a look at the protocols for ALL of the teams at Golden Spin. ReedAmbru scored 118.92 in the FD with L3 for both of them on their twizzles. Flores/Desyatov scored 108.15 in the FD with a L3 for her on the twizzles and an extended lift deduction. Both of them had L2s for both skaters on the diagonal step seq. It seems to me that there was some generous GOE and PCS being handed out at this event.

Rukia

I'm not saying anything about their scoring potential or talent?? I'm just stating how things currently stand. I've forgotten nothing.

ice coverage

... it's not ever a sure thing they'll skate clean.

It's not ever a sure thing that any partnership will skate clean -- as we have seen with dancers who have years more of experience.

... Emiliea's 2nd year in Ice Dance. I think she has come a loooong way in a very short amount of time.

(y) Emilea continues to have my admiration.

As does Vadym, who was the only man or woman to earn Level 4 for one foot turns at this season's Golden Spin.

Look forward to seeing them -- and others -- at Nats.
Wishing clean skates to all.

Last edited:

Lara111

From what Mark H. said in his commentary, I thought that B/S were very involved in their choice of music, and perhaps packaging too. As much as we want each team to improve they're going to be judged amongst themselves at Nationals and we'll see how it all comes out.

Z/K is the shiny new team with an interesting story on how they came together as a team, that's one reason there's so much focus on them. Plus Vadym is very talented, but he isn't the only gifted skater in US dance.

I'm glad I'm not a judge cause aside from my love for H/B I can't decide which US team I like after them. :cheer2:
I think there are two truly talented males in US younger ice dance field it is Ian and maybe Michael.

Ena Grins

Scoring potential is one thing - follow through is another. I think we all know the enormous potential Zingas/Kolesnik have, but at least on performance thus far this season, I agree that they're just a half-step behind Carreira/Ponomorenko and Green/Parsons. Honestly they're a little bit of a wild card. I would not be shocked to see Z/K put up a big a number in at least one segment at nationals, OR to see them place behind the Browns, Pate/Bye, or Bratti/Somerville.

layman

I think we have to give Emilea Zingas her props and a little more time. What she has already achieved in Ice Dance (after two years) is absolutely remarkable!

In two years she is already competing with Madison Chock (who started ice dance when she was 12, competed in ice dance with Greg Zuerlein for 7 years and Evan Bates for 12 years), Caroline Green (who started dance at the age of 9, competed in ice dance with her brother Gordon for 10 years and with Michael Parsons for 5 years), Christina Carreira (who started dance at the age of 6, competed with her Canadian partner for 8 years and with Anthony Ponomarenko for 9 years), Oona Brown (who started dance at the age of 12 and has competed in Ice Dance with her brother Gage for 8 years), Kaitlyn Hawayek (who started ice dance at the age of 14; she had been a singles skater for 10 years prior to starting dance and has competed in ice dance for 2 years with Michael Bramante and with Jean Luc Baker for 11 years).... I could go on and on, but my point is that to reach Emilea's current level in ice dance usually takes years and years (of dancing and practice). How she has done it in two years is beyond belief!

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I think there are two truly talented males in US younger ice dance field it is Ian and maybe Michael.
I think Kolesnik is as good as either. And younger than both.

I don’t know how long Zingas skated singles but she has a marvellous danciness in her movements which is natural, not taught. Her technique will catch up, but (unlike Ians’s and Jeffrey’s choices) I really understand why Vadym and Igor saw her potential.

litenkyckling

I think we have to give Emilea Zingas her props and a little more time. What she has already achieved in Ice Dance (after two years) is absolutely remarkable!

In two years she is already competing with Madison Chock (who started ice dance when she was 12, competed in ice dance with Greg Zuerlein for 7 years and Evan Bates for 12 years), Caroline Green (who started dance at the age of 9, competed in ice dance with her brother Gordon for 10 years and with Michael Parsons for 5 years), Christina Carreira (who started dance at the age of 6, competed with her Canadian partner for 8 years and with Anthony Ponomarenko for 9 years), Oona Brown (who started dance at the age of 12 and has competed in Ice Dance with her brother Gage for 8 years), Kaitlyn Hawayek (who started ice dance at the age of 14; she had been a singles skater for 10 years prior to starting dance and has competed in ice dance for 2 years with Michael Bramante and with Jean Luc Baker for 11 years).... I could go on and on, but my point is that to reach Emilea's current level in ice dance usually takes years and years (of dancing and practice). How she has done it in two years is beyond belief!
When has anyone questioned any of that?

Rukia

lol someone's about to accuse me of being a hater or saying Zingas isn't talented which I'm not, but I think her skating is not ice dancey at all. She has a bounciness to her progressives and chasses that just scream she was a singles skater. 🤷‍♀️ It's not wrong necessarily, but you can tell the difference.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
lol someone's about to accuse me of being a hater or saying Zingas isn't talented which I'm not, but I think her skating is not ice dancey at all. She has a bounciness to her progressives and chasses that just scream she was a singles skater. 🤷‍♀️ It's not wrong necessarily, but you can tell the difference.
I think when people talk about Zingas' danciness, they're talking about her musicality, sense of rhythm, and body expression, rather than her ice dancey skating skills and bladework.

chameleonster

Two things can be true: Emilea has a dancey quality to her, and you can tell that she was a singles skater until recently. She still has things to work on, but her improvement is remarkable and she has a lot of potential.

i'm biased because ice dance is my favorite discipline anyway, but I think US ice dance is the most exciting discipline at Nationals and I'm extremely curious to see how things will pan out.

Ena Grins

With the caveat again that Emilea Zingas's progress has been incredible and I fully expect for her and Vadym to be at Worlds within a few years...

While we're talking about danciness vs. ice dance ability, something that struck me about Z/K's free dance at Skate Canada was how it almost felt like a pairs program in some places. I think that's part of what kept the Browns ahead, even though Z/K performed beautifully and their program is arguably better, the Browns were stronger ice dancers at that competition.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Z/K continue to improve.

ice coverage

2024 ISU Awards ballot* for "Best Newcomer" includes Zingas/Kolesnik.

Chock/Bates appear four times on the ISU Awards ballots*:
"Most Valuable Skater"​
"Best Costume" (for FD)​
"Most Entertaining Program" (separate listings for their RD and for their FD)​

*Meaning the ballot with the "long list" of "candidates." The three candidates with the most votes then will be announced as "nominees."

Once the voting closes on Jan 7, 2024, the ISU Skating Awards Selection Commission will take into account the online voting results of the two voting groups (Public / Media) with the following weight: Public 2/3 and Media 1/3. ...
After the voting concludes and the nominees are unveiled, a panel of distinguished Juries featuring six former Figure Skating Champions will deliberate and cast their votes to determine the winners. The grand reveal and presentation of the Awards will take place on Feb 11, 2024.

Last edited:

Lara111

I think Kolesnik is as good as either. And younger than both.

I don’t know how long Zingas skated singles but she has a marvellous danciness in her movements which is natural, not taught. Her technique will catch up, but (unlike Ians’s and Jeffrey’s choices) I really understand why Vadym and Igor saw her potential.
interesting. I do not see anything in Kolesnik

leilaofpaper

2024 ISU Awards ballot for "Best Newcomer" includes Zingas/Kolesnik.

Chock/Bates appear four times on the ISU Awards ballots:
"Most Valuable Skater"​
"Best Costume" (for FD)​
"Most Entertaining Program" (separate listings for their RD and for their FD)​

Once the voting closes on January 7th 2024, the ISU Skating Awards Selection Commission will take into account the online voting results of the two voting groups (Public / Media) with the following weight: Public 2/3 and Media 1/3. ...
After the voting concludes and the nominees are unveiled, a panel of distinguished Juries featuring six former Figure Skating Champions will deliberate and cast their votes to determine the winners. The grand reveal and presentation of the Awards will take place on February 11, 2024.

Well, Madison Chock has to win best costume, given Xiangyi An’s pink monstrosity was nominated.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Well, Madison Chock has to win best costume, given Xiangyi An’s pink monstrosity was nominated.

Is that the costume they're talking about? I couldn't tell from reading the list which programs and costumes were meant, but maybe I'm missing there being a list with photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information