Tutberidze v Tutberidze: Who will win 2020 European figure skating championship?

Tinami Amori

Tutberidze v Tutberidze: Who will win 2020 European figure skating championship?

fan gif - https://www.instagram.com/p/B7i8kujp8VM/?igshid=1jqzfunlkgtr

While the name of the future champion remains unknown, one thing is almost predetermined – the gold medalist will more than likely represent Eteri Tutberidze’s team.

unfortunately, some jealous ones, coaches and less accomplished skaters who can't reach such heights and have bad social manners, like Rafael Arutunyan, recently called Russian young ladies skaters "disposable cups", and that would not stand in the American press, if a foreign coach called American or Canadians skaters "disposable cups", but all this asside..... the fight is between the 3A and it will be interesting.

Why does American skating community, which pose themselves as so moral and for the right issues, allows Arutunyan to say the shit that he says, is a mystery to me.... After all when Yagudin said that "Jason Brown skates ladies' jump content" created such an uproar that oh so peaceful Americans wanted to send petitions to the Russian Federation, it's a surprise to me why there is not outrage over Rafik calling Russian skaters "disposable cups".... but who said people are fair and balanced.....
:drama: :D

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Sports Fans...fair and balanced...I cannot imagine such a world.

And a judged sport....forget about it.

Artunian is kind of right though. Tuberidzie's skaters are all technically brilliant with rather frantic choreography.

Doesn't make his remarks appropriate though. Not a great example of grace and sportsmanship.

Tinami Amori

Kostornaia, Shcherbakova and Trusova, what ever issues they need to improve on to be perfect, above the rest in an already brilliant qualities, are certainly not "disposable cups".. Skating is a sport - Veni, vidi, vici.

Even technically it's not that brilliant : quantity over quality.
Look at the posts given to north-american "mid-quality" skaters, who are at best aiming at top 10... at best. It is 10X positive over what they actually can do. "They have future", "they are improving", "they are on their way"..

... and look at all the negativity given to all top 3 russian ladies... "they lack this", "they jump too much"...... Face it north-americans.... you're not objective (and i am being polite, using "not objective")... :D

bardtoob

like Rafael Arutunyan, recently called Russian young ladies skaters "disposable cups", and that would not stand in the American press, if a foreign coach called American or Canadians skaters "disposable cups", but all this asside...

Did the word he used imply plastic or waxed paper? I always feel bad for the whales and turtles and such.

kwanatic

Kostornaia, Shcherbakova and Trusova, what ever issues they need to improve on to be perfect, above the rest in an already brilliant qualities, are certainly not "disposable cups".. Skating is a sport - Veni, vidi, vici.

Look at the posts given to north-american "mid-quality" skaters, who are at best aiming at top 10... at best. It is 10X positive over what they actually can do. "They have future", "they are improving", "they are on their way"..

... and look at all the negativity given to all top 3 russian ladies... "they lack this", "they jump too much"...... Face it north-americans.... you're not objective (and i am being polite, using "not objective")... :D

Seems like you want to argue with people who are critical of the Russian skaters more than you want an opinion on who will win Euros this year...IJS :shuffle:

Anyhoo, in response to the question that was actually posed in topic, it's going to come down to who can deliver.

It looks like Trusova is going for broke this time. 5 quads...lord. Trusova seems a like a sweetheart but I'm still completely unimpressed/unmoved/blah/meh when it comes to her skating. I won't lie--watching her reel off quads like her life depends on it is always interesting. She's got more cajones than half of the men competing when it comes to her gutsy and daring content. It's clear the strategy for Trusova isn't to improve her skating skills, musicality, interpretation, presentation, etc.; rather they're just going to add another quad to the program...she's literally going to try to jump her way to the top. We'll see if it pays off.

If Anna can hit the quad flip and 2 quad lutzes in the FS she'll put pressure on Trusova as her overall packaging is much stronger than Trusova's and she'll have the advantage in the 2nd mark. If I'm picking between those two, I'm choosing Anna as she is quite lovely to watch and performs well for her age. She has the technical content but there's some substance in her programs and performances as well. I enjoy watching her skate way more than Trusova as there's actually some semblance of balance to what she does.

Alena has the advantage in the SP (even if Trusova hits the axel) and if she can skate cleanly in the FS she'll up her chances at a strong score. If they all skate cleanly I'd expect her to have a 3-4 point lead going into the FS. She has little room for error in the FS thanks to all of the quads and she'll have to nail those 3As as well. Skating cleanly is all she can do; the rest will be determined by how many quads the other two can land. If I'm choosing between all 3, I'm picking Alena. Speed, power, explosiveness, but also grace, elegance and performance. She's really the best of both worlds.

All three swept their GP events, Kostornaia won the Final, Shcherbakova won nationals. I'd like to see Alena or Anna win but I feel like it's Trusova's turn to win something. She's throwing in the kitchen sink in terms the technical content and if she lands it she will be tough to beat.

I'm excited to see this nationals rematch...which is all Euros is nowadays.

Tinami Amori

Seems like you want to argue with people who are critical of the Russian skaters more than you want an opinion on who will win Euros this year...IJS :shuffle:
i am posting info worthy a notice (imo) and my opinions about it. people are free to comment on the items they are interested in.

Alexei Mishin is leaning towards Trusova "she can pretty much beat most of the men with her jumps"

Some are betting on Kostornaya, stating she will attempt three 3A's in both programmes.

Others say that Shcherbakova has the best of both, quads, dif. jumps, and skating skills/grace.

General article - what to expect from EC for the Russian Team.. (google translates OK).

Colleen

I don't know which one will win - but I admire each of them - Trusova was amazing to see live at Skate Canada. It will be an exciting competition, for sure!

bardtoob

I am looking forward to Trusova's 3A attempts. I think if she gets the 3A she will never lose it because it is so different from the other jumps. You simply can never do a 3A with a bad step-up.

Last edited:

Lilia A

I'm going to say not Trusova simply because, from the practice runthrough, it seems she's only going for 3 quads ("only", I know). No, that triple flip was not a popped 4F. I feel like Trusova needs that extra quad or two to beat a 3 quad Shcherbakova and a 3 triple Axel Kostornaia to make up for low PCSs and lower levels on non jumping elements.
So, I'm betting on Shcherbakova if she goes clean and Kostornaia is she goes clean but Shcherbakova doesn't.

Having said that, I'll be happy with either one. I'd also be happy with Trusova and her gazillion quads (or "only" three). This is a sport after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information