Times "Person of the Year" is Taylor Swift

On My Own

Taylor is deserving by the metrics of economic impact, influence, notoriety, etc., but to aver that she has a positive influence on feminism, democracy, or other social and global issues is an extremely superficial take, IMO. Swift’s “activism” is disturbingly performative. She has had many problematic moments outside of her decade long love affair with controlled PR. She’s not far off from being a paragon of late stage capitalism. 🤷🏻‍♀️
I think she's a feminist in the sense that she has a strong business acumen and therefore is a good role model for women. But I'm surprised to see her being hailed for defending democracy, I guess.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I think she's a feminist in the sense that she has a strong business acumen and therefore is a good role model for women. But I'm surprised to see her being hailed for defending democracy, I guess.
So you haven't seen this video? I don't like the title of it but she is very passionate when it comes to politics. And very aware.

On My Own

So you haven't seen this video? I don't like the title of it but she is very passionate when it comes to politics. And very aware.

I didn't - and again, 'advocating/protecting democracy' =/= 'trashing republicans'. I find that take as superficial as her music.

Literally, one of the nominees was 'Trump Prosecutors'. If we are to say someone deserves it for 'protecting democracy' - it'd be them. And I'd 100% say they or Barbie deserved it a million times more.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas

You mean a clip from a documentary she produced about herself that was designed to promote the release (and sale) of her new album? Odd that the only time Taylor has ever been politically active was for a 12-month period around the time of Lover's release; a documentary, an LGBTQIA+ tokenizing music video, and verbally explaining homophobia by likening it to her feud with Katy Perry. :lol: She did it for an extremely finite period of time when it financially benefited her. She's passionate about being perceived as perfect; she was getting massive criticism from her young fanbase starting around 2016 for being so apolitical...Miss Americana was a response to peer pressure more than it was a genuine statement.

Again, smart PR and business acumen during 2019-2020, but there is a reason why Taylor is routinely criticized for "white feminism".

once_upon

Better off than 2020
At a time when the US has political apathy (and face it when haven't we), I applaud her speaking our and encouraging people to get registered to vote and actually so it. She may not be a prosecutor, but I believe she is changing voting patterns in numbers.

Like Pink, Taylor is speaking out on issues. Maybe you think it's self serving - but isn't that what is needed? Bring more voters in.

When Time puts together their criteria, it won't fit everyone's criteria. It's likely a cumulative of things.

vgerdes

At a time when the US has political apathy (and face it when haven't we), I applaud her speaking our and encouraging people to get registered to vote and actually so it. She may not be a prosecutor, but I believe she is changing voting patterns in numbers.

Like Pink, Taylor is speaking out on issues. Maybe you think it's self serving - but isn't that what is needed? Bring more voters in.

Yes. Exactly. Like her or not, she has a lot of power, and she's been using it to mobilize more people to register, and to vote. This is a very good thing.

There is a certain segment of the population that is very afraid of her, because of that power. They're the most vocal about her supposed promiscuity, the "slutty" way she dresses, etc.

I used to dismiss Taylor as a vapid pop princess. She's anything but. Very smart, business savvy, and a lot stronger than I could ever be when it comes to enduring public scrutiny.

NinjaTurtles

The ends of Taylor may justify the means of voter turnout, that's fine. Taylor's influence is absolutely staggering. I personally am uncomfortable with how certain segments of the population (and that not including the cult of Swifties and their behavior) put Taylor's "speaking out" politically on a pedestal; she arguably only did it once, it's seemingly not a pattern or trend forward for her. AND she has been hypocritical with regards to her speaking on feminism (or simply a complete lack of allyship re: POC).

Jenny

From the Bloc
I'll say this again to those who think Taylor doesn't say much/enough about social and political issues - she says more than you think because much of it appears on her Instagram stories. She currently has 278 million followers worldwide, equivalent to 83 percent of the population of the US. So yeah, she's reaching a lot of people with her positive and action-oriented statements.

Cachoo

The ends of Taylor may justify the means of voter turnout, that's fine. Taylor's influence is absolutely staggering. I personally am uncomfortable with how certain segments of the population (and that not including the cult of Swifties and their behavior) put Taylor's "speaking out" politically on a pedestal; she arguably only did it once, it's seemingly not a pattern or trend forward for her. AND she has been hypocritical with regards to her speaking on feminism (or simply a complete lack of allyship re: POC).
I think those are fair points. I think there is real fear of her influence from certain segments of the far right even if she isn't on a soapbox day to day. I am happy if she continues to push voter registration and doing her own philanthropy. And now for something silly: https://www.tiktok.com/@otismcgmcg/video/7309674978352434463?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc

vgerdes

I think those are fair points. I think there is real fear of her influence from certain segments of the far right even if she isn't on a soapbox day to day. I am happy if she continues to push voter registration and doing her own philanthropy. And now for something silly: https://www.tiktok.com/@otismcgmcg/video/7309674978352434463?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc
Same. She doesn't need to be an activist to be a positive influence on the world. The fear, IMO, comes from the idea that someday, she might decide to flex her power in more overt ways (though I have my doubts that she will). That video is hilarious. I know my cat (miss you, Smokey) wouldn't have put up with being draped around my neck for very long. And BB probably jumped down seconds after that shot was taken, lol.

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
You mean a clip from a documentary she produced about herself that was designed to promote the release (and sale) of her new album? Odd that the only time Taylor has ever been politically active was for a 12-month period around the time of Lover's release; a documentary, an LGBTQIA+ tokenizing music video, and verbally explaining homophobia by likening it to her feud with Katy Perry. :lol: She did it for an extremely finite period of time when it financially benefited her. She's passionate about being perceived as perfect; she was getting massive criticism from her young fanbase starting around 2016 for being so apolitical...Miss Americana was a response to peer pressure more than it was a genuine statement.

Again, smart PR and business acumen during 2019-2020, but there is a reason why Taylor is routinely criticized for "white feminism".
Wow that is bit patronising. At time when LGBTQI people in the US are under attack. She is one of their strongest allies.

People are allowed to have a political awakening. She has said herself that she didn't feel comfortable not saying anything. Then gets slammed when she does. She cannot do anything right according to some people.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
You can dislike what celebrities do, but it's the old MAGA stuff of just do your thing no politics. Unless of course, it's your celebrity stating your thoughts - like Ted Nugent and guns, or Scott Baio and campaigning for you, or Clint Eastwood talking to a "chair", Aaron Rodgers and anti vaccine tirades.

Differences? Oh yeah a bunch of has beens

Last edited:

NinjaTurtles

Wow that is bit patronising. At time when LGBTQI people in the US are under attack. She is one of their strongest allies.

People are allowed to have a political awakening. She has said herself that she didn't feel comfortable not saying anything. Then gets slammed when she does. She cannot do anything right according to some people.
Many in the community were offended by Taylor’s language at that time. I have no criticism for Taylor having a political awakening. I more think it’s disingenuous to say she’s one of their strongest allies when it hasn’t really continued outside of the Lover promotion…it only makes the awakening ring false (on top of the vapid narcissism of comparing her celebrity drama to the type of serious persecution LGBTQIA people face). Again, maybe this mass appeal is an important tool in the box and the ends justify the means. I am personally uncomfortable with lauding her political efforts in god-like tones when there is a rushing undercurrent of money lining her pockets in parallel. 🤷🏻‍♀️ It’s a bit the argument of whether there can be ethical billionaires…

Most of Taylor’s criticism at that time, and still today given repeated troubled actions related to the Black community and other POC, was not by MAGA but by progressive fans and voices. Her fans and others desperately wanted her to be more politically vocal and authentic on social issues. They (nor I) were not telling her to shut up.

It’s true she’ll never please everyone. I actually think one of the reasons she is so active and controlling with PR is because she’s desperately trying to have blanket mass appeal and approval. It’s a fools game.

Speaking of unfairly criticized, and to bring this back to figure skating, remember when Taylor picked Gracie Gold to be part of her much criticized for being overly homogenous superficial squad. :lol:

On My Own

Many in the community were offended by Taylor’s language at that time. I have no criticism for Taylor having a political awakening. I more think it’s disingenuous to say she’s one of their strongest allies when it hasn’t really continued outside of the Lover promotion…it only makes the awakening ring false (on top of the vapid narcissism of comparing her celebrity drama to the type of serious persecution LGBTQIA people face). Again, maybe this mass appeal is an important tool in the box and the ends justify the means. I am personally uncomfortable with lauding her political efforts in god-like tones when there is a rushing undercurrent of money lining her pockets in parallel. 🤷🏻‍♀️ It’s a bit the argument of whether there can be ethical billionaires…
Don't tell them about Gaylors 🤫

Dragonlady

Sew Happy
But Taylor Swift is...?

She's helping to protect democracy by getting her fans to register to vote.

But the REAL reason Taylor Swift is "person of the year" is because she had changed the music industry and the ways that musicians and other artists can protect their rights to their art and profit from it. FOREVER.

This is not the first time that Swift has used her incredible popularity and ability to make money for the industry, to steer the direction of the music business in the direction of Artists' Rights and Royalties.

Her response to the hedge fund purchase of her back catalogue lead her to re-record and re-issue "Taylor's Vault" versions of her back catalogue that have rendered that purchase worthless, and recovered her rights to control her original music.

Her production and release of her concert film directly to theatres, bypassing studio distribution allowed her fans to attend the concert movie WHILE her tour was going on, and not 2 years after the fact. And she got a bigger cut of the profits!!!!

Last but not least, female artists are packaged like candy. The Spice Girls were the first girl band that talked about "empowering women". The Spice Girls made "girl power" a thing. The only thing is the Spice Girls were packaged by their male managers and male record producers to sell records. But Girl Power resonated, and while the Spice Girls were repackaged, the women lived up to their artistic potential.

But Taylor Swift is Girl Power writ in neon light and glitter!!!! She's the REAL DEAL!

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I see guys like this and thank God for my cat: You knew they would be coming for her---

https://x.com/Eric_Conn/status/1732432374863217105?s=20
So apparently she is lonely but also dating around. Alright.

Of course, this piece of work thinks a woman who isn't married must be lonely. Apparently, her closeness to her family and a close circle of friends don't count.

Somewhere, Rita Moreno is holding a newspaper in one hand and a magazine in the other and exclaiming that Taylor Swift isn't Times Person of the Year but rather Time's Person of the Year.
Rita Moreno thinks it's The Time and not The Times? I hope not. ;)

On My Own

She's helping to protect democracy by getting her fans to register to vote.
Am I just not getting how getting someone to register to vote (not even vote) is the same as protecting democracy? Protecting democracy, in my mind, is preventing abuse of power, voter fraud, et cetera.

Increasing democratic or political awareness is good, but on the other hand, would anyone be praising Taylor Swift for it if she were spewing right wing ideologies?

But the REAL reason Taylor Swift is "person of the year" is because she had changed the music industry and the ways that musicians and other artists can protect their rights to their art and profit from it. FOREVER.

This is not the first time that Swift has used her incredible popularity and ability to make money for the industry, to steer the direction of the music business in the direction of Artists' Rights and Royalties.

Her response to the hedge fund purchase of her back catalogue lead her to re-record and re-issue "Taylor's Vault" versions of her back catalogue that have rendered that purchase worthless, and recovered her rights to control her original music.
I don't know anything about this, but this is at least a fairer reason to me.
So apparently she is lonely but also dating around. Alright.

Of course, this piece of work thinks a woman who isn't married must be lonely. Apparently, her closeness to her family and a close circle of friends don't count.
There was a very disgusting post about Dolly Parton on Twitter. It was so ridiculous.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
There was a very disgusting post about Dolly Parton on Twitter. It was so ridiculous.
To these shitheads, all women are doing it wrong and therefore are bad. Swift is bad because she's single and Dolly is bad even though she is married and has been for decades.

I don't think Swift is "protecting" democracy, btw. But she is supporting it and helping it by encouraging people to register to vote and then vote. She also has been giving political opinions here and there. It wasn't just one time or just during Trump's presidency as others have said.

On My Own

Here is an article discussing what we've discussed so far:

Taylor Swift’s hollow empowerment narrative​

The singer’s faux-feminist branding is so convincing journalists are doing her PR for her.

I think hyper-capitalisation is a real problem with 'superstar celebrities', and it's about time we stopped pretending as if there isn't a huge self-serving media push behind such 'stars'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information