Times "Person of the Year" is Taylor Swift

Cachoo

Here is an article discussing what we've discussed so far:

I think hyper-capitalisation is a real problem with 'superstar celebrities', and it's about time we stopped pretending as if there isn't a huge self-serving media push behind such 'stars'.
Wow—I used to subscribe to Rolling Stone for years in the 80’s. It was full of criticism. That is sad to read of publications going the fanzine route.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Here is an article discussing what we've discussed so far:

I think hyper-capitalisation is a real problem with 'superstar celebrities', and it's about time we stopped pretending as if there isn't a huge self-serving media push behind such 'stars'.
Can't read because they want me to agree to a long statement about how they use and store cookies.

The essence of the article?

Cachoo

Can't read because they want me to agree to a long statement about how they use and store cookies.

The essence of the article?
It is using Swift to show how far some of these publications have fallen by not taking a critical look at the music and instead rhapsodizing about the artist. They talk more about a savvy pop star than the material. And they don’t ask the tough questions. For example an argument could be made that the re-recorded albums are a result of egotism and greed rather than empowerment. But no one wants to go there. While I may not agree with that assessment it is sad to think that publications like Rolling Stone are closer than ever to fanzines.

Dragonlady

Sew Happy
It is using Swift to show how far some of these publications have fallen by not taking a critical look at the music and instead rhapsodizing about the artist. They talk more about a savvy pop star than the material. And they don’t ask the tough questions. For example an argument could be made that the re-recorded albums are a result of egotism and greed rather than empowerment. But no one wants to go there. While I may not agree with that assessment it is sad to think that publications like Rolling Stone are closer than ever to fanzines.

I lost all respect for Rolling Stone when Jann Wenner gave an interview about his book on the most important rock artists interviewed by Rolling Stone, and they were all white men. Wenner said none of the women or the minorities artists were "articulate enough" to be included.

In response, Wenner has been removed from the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I get alerts for articles in the RS. None of them are about music and they are mostly pretty good and do consist of real journalism. Too bad about the music ones.

Cachoo

I get alerts for articles in the RS. None of them are about music and they are mostly pretty good and do consist of real journalism. Too bad about the music ones.
Good to know particularly when it comes to the political realm.

Lynn226

Can someone explain how Taylor's version of the albums facilitates the complete control of her music? For example, if a movie director wanted a Taylor Swift song in their movie and she said no or the budget wouldn't allow for her asking price, then couldn't they possibly negotiate with the owner of the original recording and perhaps cut a deal?

Cachoo

Can someone explain how Taylor's version of the albums facilitates the complete control of her music? For example, if a movie director wanted a Taylor Swift song in their movie and she said no or the budget wouldn't allow for her asking price, then couldn't they possibly negotiate with the owner of the original recording and perhaps cut a deal?
Yes that will always be an option.

skatefan02

No, they couldn't. As the main songwriter, Taylor effectively controls the sync rights and can decide to only offer up versions she controls the master recording rights to. That's the entire point of the Taylor's versions. She can't prevent the originals from being played on the radio etc, but any movie, ad, or other promotion would require her approval and she has denied them for all the originals to date.

And pretty much only Taylor can do this because she wrote or co-wrote her entire discography.

Cachoo

No, they couldn't. As the main songwriter, Taylor effectively controls the sync rights and can decide to only offer up versions she controls the master recording rights to. That's the entire point of the Taylor's versions. She can't prevent the originals from being played on the radio etc, but any movie, ad, or other promotion would require her approval and she has denied them for all the originals to date.

And pretty much only Taylor can do this because she wrote or co-wrote her entire discography.
I did not know this. Clever, clever woman.

Dragonlady

Sew Happy

Yes but at that point, they'd probably go with something else. She migiht not give permission for this number but maybe later on she'll let them use one of her songs, but that won't happen if they go behind her back and use the other version.

It's called "respecting the artist's wishes".

Jenny

From the Bloc
I think word would get out pretty quickly if a non-Taylor authorized song was used in anything, and whoever used it would soon regret the decision to attempt to capitalize on her brand like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information