Times "Person of the Year" is Taylor Swift

ilovepaydays

Not surprised - given how much it’s been reported on how much economic activity The New Eras tour made worldwide.

BaileyCatts

^^^ Is that the actual cover of the magazine? With the :cat: ?! :rofl: if it is because these days Taylor Swift ... and catz ... rule da world. :p unless maybe that's just a joke mock-up thing in which case :slinkaway

sk9tingfan

But Taylor Swift is...?
Yes.

LeafOnTheWind

Let me know when she advocates for more than 2 parties in the US so everyone can have a voice. Then we can talk about protecting Democracy.

Unless everyone here is just effing fine with leaving people without a political voice.

vgerdes

I read the Time POY article. As a journalist, I felt a moment of envy for the writer, getting to tell a story so epic. It was really, really well done. And as someone who dismissed Taylor early on in her career, I now feel compelled to admit that I love her, even if I don't necessarily love her entire catalog of music. She is one strong woman.

On My Own

Yes.

Stating political opinions isn't the same as 'advocating for/protecting democracy'.

Honestly I thought you were talking about the Trump prosecuters who'd been nominated.

Last edited:

Judy

My Cdn friend‘s 5 year old is having a sleepover with her “best friend” Taylor. I’ll take pics. She’s amazing hilarious lol.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Not a fan of her music but I think she is an incredible person who is a positive role model to a generation that will pay attention to more than just her music. She is a smart business woman and also cares about important issues like democracy, LGBTQI, abortion access, etc.

I will say that her video for Anti-Hero is pretty amazing.

Plus she is a cat lover.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
The sharp business woman and advocate for all artists, but especially woman and gives them the power to stand up to the patriarchal system of music known as Taylor Swift is deserving of this honor. She has taken on Spotify, record executives, political forces, and a society who wants to see her only as a blonde good-looking pop artist to show them she is a force to reckon with.

She reportedly is very generous to her staff and roadies.

I get that people think she is a media whore - especially the rabid interest in Travis/Taylor romance.

That is NOT the reason she is getting this honor. It's her work and contributions she has made especially this year.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
Taylor is deserving by the metrics of economic impact, influence, notoriety, etc., but to aver that she has a positive influence on feminism, democracy, or other social and global issues is an extremely superficial take, IMO. Swift’s “activism” is disturbingly performative. She has had many problematic moments outside of her decade long love affair with controlled PR. She’s not far off from being a paragon of late stage capitalism. 🤷🏻‍♀️

The “Taylor’s Version” solution and motions around IP ownership are really quite interesting though. Person of the Year makes sense from a couple of different lenses.

ilovepaydays

I see guys like this and thank God for my cat: You knew they would be coming for her---

https://x.com/Eric_Conn/status/1732432374863217105?s=20

Eric Conn is one of those gross Doug Wilson-following, Christian nationalist, hardcore patriarchal “theobros”. The comment thread for that tweet has gone insane.

I’ve seen enough in my life to know I shouldn’t be surprised when people like this end up with their personal lives blowing up. I’ll leave it at that.

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Eric Conn is one of those gross Doug Wilson-following, Christian nationalist, hardcore patriarchal “theobros”. The comment thread for that tweet has gone insane.

I’ve seen enough in my life to know I shouldn’t be surprised with people like this end up with their personal lives’ blowing up. I’ll leave it at that.
Let he who cast the first stone ...... somehow they don't get it.

Vagabond

Somewhere, Rita Moreno is holding a newspaper in one hand and a magazine in the other and exclaiming that Taylor Swift isn't Times Person of the Year but rather Time's Person of the Year.

Last edited:

Desperado

Somewhere beyond the grave, Rita Moreno is holding a newspaper in one hand and a magazine in the other and exclaiming that Taylor Swift isn't Times Person of the Year but rather Time's Person of the Year.

You scared me, but Rita Moreno is thankfully not dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information