"The Walking Dead": Any fans here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock2

I agree that children who express terror when surrounded by hoards of zombies who want to eat/kill them deserve to die.

TWD is fantasy scape for badasses.
We have enough places and occasions in real life to nurture the self esteem of the emotionally challenged that we don't need to concern ourselves with it here.

PeterG

TWD is fantasy scape for badasses.

:lol: I don't think people who site on their couches watching TV and then posting on message boards could consider themselves badasses! :D

We have enough places and occasions in real life to nurture the self esteem of the emotionally challenged that we don't need to concern ourselves with it here.

I don't turn off the part of myself that is concerned for others when I turn on the TV. And of course it's fiction, but we watch it because we like to wonder what we would do if we ended up in some kind of situation that might be similar.

Did you see Sam as emotionally challenged? I just saw him as a terrified ten year old.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I agree that children who express terror when surrounded by hoards of zombies who want to eat/kill them deserve to die.
Ah, but Peter, we've already established that you are not going to last long when the zombies begin to roam. I think you should start sending me any supplies you've hoarded. Save me having to walk all the way there to take them from you. :p

sweetsparky

Good Ice Dance = THE SEX
It was a very entertaining episode but honestly the suspension of disbelief demanded was especially big with that slow horde that only managed to bite the annoying ones, and the walkers fire attraction over fresh brains, I mean entrails, was kind of new I think or, at least, it wasn´t something that I thought had been established before (I guess it can be said that it wasn´t the fire but the noise what attracted them but still).

I think was nice that they showed, through overvoices, how Carol scaring antics had messed Sam´s head. Carol is a :kickass: but that was something that in the time it happened I didn´t like and I liked that it was reminded.

WildRose

It's a story about Zombies - suspension of disbelief is kinda mandatory don't ya think? ;)
Good point about Carol messing with Sam's head - I don't remember why she did it, but it probably caused 3 deaths.

sweetsparky

Good Ice Dance = THE SEX
I guess it´s mandatory :lol: But even fantasy fiction must have its internal logic and respect it. Or walker hordes are very dangerous or head-smashing them is like cleaning the garden.

I think that Carol was trying to secure his silence when he discovered she wasn´t just a great cook (she is!) but a weapons "collector", and probably to toughen him up (not that it worked) too.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
I don't blame Carol for Sam's death at all. He was raised in an abusive home, then coddled by his mom (remember when he wouldn't come downstairs?) and then wouldn't go with the priest dude when he took off with Judith. I also blame Rick for apparently leading them around in giant circles until it got dark. I didn't realize Alexandria was the size of Omaha....

Japanfan

It was a very entertaining episode but honestly the suspension of disbelief demanded was especially big with that slow horde that only managed to bite the annoying ones.

My reasoning for that was that when Sam stopped and Jessie talked to him, it alerted the zombies that they were not zombies after all.

Princess Leppard said:
I also blame Rick for apparently leading them around in giant circles until it got dark. I didn't realize Alexandria was the size of Omaha..

I had more trouble coming up with reasoning for this scenario. The group left in daylight, and Rick has stated that getting to the cars at the quarry is the goal. it was dark when the deaths and accident happened. Then Rick just runs a seemingly short way with Carl to the infirmary. Let's assume the group left an hour or so before dark. Given that they were moving slowly, is it possible that the infirmary was at the other end of two, and it took them all that time just to get in the general direction of the infirmary?

Marco

On second thought:

1. If the church or the route to the church was safe(r) - since no one raised the issue of safety for Gabriel, shouldn't Jessie and kids all go with Gabriel and Judith? Surely it would be easier just for Rick, Michonne and Carl to break through and race to the truck without having to care about three people who had no real walker combat experience? OR, couldn't Jessie, Gabriel and kids just smear on the walker blood and guts and then just silently hide in a locked bathroom or attic in the same house or something while Rick and Michonne make a run for the truck?

2. They had so much time to have touchie feelie talks with Deanna (Episode 8) but no time for Jessie to explain to Sam what she needed him to do?

3. They should have set up a timer for the music/ alarms at the house to blast up like 5 minutes after they left. Or they could ask Deanna to blast up the music/ alarms in her room once they are safely out.

4. Why are walkers' teeth so sharp? Weren't they all human before they turned? I would surely not be able to puncture someone's neck or shoulders or arms on a first bite even as a human - it would take me a serious and committed bite to even leave a teeth mark with no blood, would a hungry walker be that much stronger? Why didn't they put on scarfs or some padding around the neck, shoulder and arm areas?! If the purpose was just to prevent punctures, surely bubble wraps would do?

5. When Jessie and kids died, couldn't Rick and Michonne and Carl just keep silent and still keep walking? It's not like they would suddenly smell different.

6. Whatever happened to the cut on Rick's palm? Was any story going to come out of that?

7. I need to see Carol punch Morgan.

8. Carl the unlucky kid - got accidentally shot near the farm when looking at a deer and then again here. Has Carl died in the comic yet because it seems rather time consuming to put on make up for the eye scar in every single episode from now on. Almost seems easier to kill him off (maybe in place of Glenn? :p)

9. Another likely character to be killed off by Negan instead of Glenn would be Daryl, since he was the one who killed the whole bike gang.

PeterG

^ ^ ^ ^

These are just a few of the problems with the show, and that's because of the writing. Melissa McBride (Carol) had one scene in Sunday's show that was acted so well...I couldn't help but thinking, "why can't they get writers worthy of these actor's talent"? They just keep giving us stupid action/battle scenes and we hardly get any time with the characters. I think if people were trying to survive a post-apocalyptic type world, then at night time when the danger was less imminent...then there would be a LOT more lovin' happenin'! :lol: Another reason I want the writing staff fired is because there is acting talent on this show that could garner Emmy nominations if they were given something substantial to work with. Melissa McBride is at the top of my list for deserving material to show us even more of the talent that she possesses. Lauren Cohan (Maggie), Stephen Yuen (Glenn) and Danai Gurira (Michonne) also have a lot more to offer than what we've seen so far. And not having Andrew Lincoln go so blustery and over-the-top so often. He is able to do subtlety, but they just push him into extremes...pretty much always.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Melissa McBride should have an Emmy from "The Grove." That episode makes me cry every time I watch it. A ZOMBIE SHOW MAKES ME CRY, DAMMIT. GIVE IT ALL THE EMMYS.
I was talking about exactly that with my stylist yesterday. I think the only reason she didn't get one is because cable TV is still pretty much ignored by the Emmy people. Sons of Anarchy only got one nomination, Justified only got one. I don't know whether the show didn't submit the Grove or people were just stupid, because that was one of the best TV episodes I've ever seen.

Carl is still alive in the comics and the events with Jessie, et.al, pretty much mirrored what happened in the comic. Plus, they needed to get rid of 3 extraneous characters. :p I figure we can count on getting rid of more before the season ends including one of the core characters. I nominate Morgan.

vireo

I think the only reason she didn't get one is because cable TV is still pretty much ignored by the Emmy people.

Both Breaking Bad and Mad Men received gobs of Emmys and Emmy nominations. I think poor writing on the series is more to blame for McBride's lack of recognition. Also, fantasy and horror are ghettoized genres in literature, film and television.

Marco

Also - what happened to the "mom! mom!" in the ending of the first half of the season?

9. Another likely character to be killed off by Negan instead of Glenn would be Daryl, since he was the one who killed the whole bike gang.

Sure enough, people online are now saying there may have been a moving car in the far back who witnessed Daryl blasting the bike gang, and Negan or his people may have been in that car and saw what Daryl did. I am very torn as to whom I would rather have Negan kill off - Glenn or Daryl.

Marco

They can't kill off Daryl or Glenn. Abraham or Eugene or Father Gabriel can go instead.

Or all three of them...

FWIW both Andrew Lincoln and Lauren Cohan have said in interviews that the season finale was extremely upsetting for them to shoot.

berthesghost

Ok, Rick's kinda a hoe. Just last week his girlfriend got eaten. You know, the married one he had the hots for so he killed her husband.

Once the truck went into the pond I was like "yeah, yeah, we get in. In the zombie apocolispse, the zombies are not the problem. It's people who will **** you over". Zzzzz

snoopy

At least Rick was in a good mood. Mopey Rick was getting old. And I didn't know Richonne was a thing on social media.

PrincessLeppard

Richonne. :lol: About time.

But, losing the truck was stupid and so was bringing Jesus into the fold. Guess who he belongs to? You only have one guess.

It's not Negan.

There was a huge time jump, so it wasn't like Jessie died yesterday. Or last Sunday. Whatever. :p

colinmom71

I was mentally screaming "just do it already" when Rick finally kissed Michonne... I didn't realize I was a "shipper" until then.

Oh, and living in the Atlanta area is giving Andrew Lincoln (Rick) a very weird Southern twinged English accent. (Watching Talking Dead)

WildRose

Good one! Nice to see a happier episode for a change. LOL at Ric & Daryl bombing around the countryside like apocalypse Dukes of Hazard! I'm kind of liking Jesus - I hope he turns out to be a good guy, maybe a good addition to the cast. And yay for Richonne!!!

PeterG

LOTS O' LOVIN'!!! Yes to some Rick and Michonne lovin'! :grope: :lol: Didn't care for the threeway thing happenin' at the end though! :D

Tonight's episode was so much better than last week. If it had been as bad as last week's episode, I was considering dropping this show. I love this show, but it irks me like no show has ever done before. Luckily I get to stick around for while. But so many questions...

Hey...Last week Carl got shot in the head. Bullet to the eyeball. They take him to the infirmary for a bit o' cleanin' up and a nice eyepatch. Umm...doesn't a bullet to the head usually kill people?? :confused:

How long have these people been at Alexandria? There's two gay guys living there and we're to believe they haven't attacked Daryl and cut off that slimy, greasy disgusting hair? It's always hanging in his face dripping of God knows what. It's really vile. Spencer was like that as well towards the end of the episode, Rick sometimes as well. In the post-apocalyptic world, why is only Carol the one with sensible hair?? :lol:

This episode we see Spencer leave Alexandra by himself and then Michonne takes off by herself. (Shouldn't all look-out stations have bells that are to be rung for when problem situations arise...a call to arms?) Enid and Carl also go off on their own cuz their teens and they're bored. Umm...y'all know it's dangerous out there, right? Is Alexandria an anarchist compound? Everybody does whatever they want, whenever they want? Wouldn't a community like this have rules and maybe an office where everybody records when they're going out, why they're going out and when they will return? And that there are consequences/punishments for people who do their own thing?

And their love for not communicating. Spencer doesn't want to tell Michonne why he's going out alone. Enid and Carl don't tell each other...anything. Enid won't tell Maggie what's wrong. Rick won't talk to Michonne about his day. Michonne won't talk to Rick about her day. These people are psychologically constipated!

What's the timeline at now? Shouldn't we be at the point where canned goods are all now past their expiry dates? Going to collect food and fighting other groups of people for food...which is expired - can't eating food past it's expiry date cause illness? Everybody needs to be growing their own food now, no?

Sigh. How far are we into this? And Rick and Daryl let that happen?

JUST DRIVE THE TRUCK BACK TO ALEXANDRIA. You weren't that far away.

At first when Rick said that they should drive a different way back, I thought, "good idea". But then I thought...you just hit the jackpot. This isn't Vegas...take your winnings and go home the exact same way you came.

PrincessLeppard

It's two months past the zombie massacre/flambe, according to the Talking Dead. Also, according to the Talking Dead, Carl wasn't shot in the eye...the bullet grazed his cheek and the bone fragments took his eye out.

Now, you know I have my issues with this crap being revealed on the Talking Dead - each of these things could've been explained with one line of dialogue (though I did read on another forum that Michonne brought up the two months thing when talking to Spencer, so I may have just missed that).

I get you on your angst over this show. Sometimes I flove this show so much, and other times I want to hurl my teevee out the window.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Those expiration dates on canned food don't really mean anything. As long as the integrity of the can isn't compromised or mold growing on the contents, its safe enough to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information