The Skating Lesson

angi

He doesn't have any interviews with interesting people anymore which was the only reason i would watch so what exactly is he offering now? His opinion?
His and his sidekick opinions with a side dish of snarky comments and a few disses at skaters he dislike for some reason and some gossip from undisclosed sources... Honestly there are many reasons that made me stop watching him. Him constantly referring to Bruno Massot as Robin Solkovy is definitely one of those (this might seems a bit pety on my side but I found it super annoying and it happened way too many times)...

Last edited:

arakwafan2006

It’s less schizo than in the past and now that skaters aren’t really his friend, there is less of the silly “ i got a text” and sidebar conversations. Dave wanted validation and to be on the inside which was clear. He got there and was two faced as hell which i think ran its course quickly. He’s not entirely wrong though with regards to some of his assessments. Jonathan, i mean, listen, you already know he’d have to have a follower personality to work with Dave. He agrees with Dave and whatever Dave says goes. Still, the show is what it is. Hell, i bitch about it and still watch it

DDNatalia

Discovered and enjoyed their interviews with Kwan and Bezic. Wonder why other podcasts like Ice Talk haven't (perhaps yet) picked up on interviewing either of these guests?

aftershocks

Banned Member
Discovered and enjoyed their interviews with Kwan and Bezic. Wonder why other podcasts like Ice Talk haven't (perhaps yet) picked up on interviewing either of these guests?

I think Ice Talk is focused more on the current competitive scene and what's happening surrounding skaters' training and events. The hosts have talked with coaches and with a few former skating greats like Brian Boitano and Scott Hamilton. Tara Lipinski has been on as well, but she's still directly involved in figure skating as a commentator.

Sandra Bezic is no longer commentating, but she is still choreographing, so it's possible she could be a guest in the future. I'm sure McCarvel and Wong would love for Michelle Kwan to come on for a skating-related interview, possibly in connection with the upcoming Olympics. But again, the focus seems to be more on current skaters and events.

barbarafan

It’s less schizo than in the past and now that skaters aren’t really his friend, there is less of the silly “ i got a text” and sidebar conversations. Dave wanted validation and to be on the inside which was clear. He got there and was two faced as hell which i think ran its course quickly. He’s not entirely wrong though with regards to some of his assessments. Jonathan, i mean, listen, you already know he’d have to have a follower personality to work with Dave. He agrees with Dave and whatever Dave says goes. Still, the show is what it is. Hell, i bitch about it and still watch it

Jonathan does sometimes have an opposite view. He also sometimes tried to calm Dave's tirades. He does bow to his greater skating knowledge but at times does not

aftershocks

Banned Member
Is there a new video that came out because I don't remember the V&M and D&R comments on the previous one :confused: (I may not have been paying attention)

Anyway, I've missed the show a tiny bit during the off season and I actually like the little gossipy pieces of information we wouldn't get in the mainstream coverage. And Dave's sources always seem to come good

This must be the podcast some posters here have been commenting on. I had missed it too. This is previous to Finlandia Trophy recap and after International Classic and Nebelhorn recap apparently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM7CGQ_RuAo Autumn Classic & Medvedeva

I don't think TSL's comments about Debbi Wilkes and her co-commentator for this event were horrible or overly snarky. There's some truth to what Dave & Jonathan had to say. They weren't being that awful. I think they spoke truthfully about some cultural differences between Canadian and U.S. commentating styles. It's just that the tendency for TSL to be harsh, dismissive, and b!tchy on occasion may tend to put some of us off by any critique. It is true that Dave goes off on tangents and is disorganized with his overall approach. However, in this recap there are some interesting asides and references to costumes and to past pairs competitions. Although, I didn't enjoy Dave piling on Ashley about reusing her old programs.

Jonathan really likes James/Cipres and he makes a good case for why, while being realistic on what their weaknesses are. It was a fair assessment by both Dave and Jonathan of D/R and J/C. However, I also feel J/C deserve for fans and critics to acknowledge them for their technical strengths, and their enviable connection (rather than the continual knee-jerk harping on them not being the best at this or that). J/C have improved a great deal and they have found programs and a coaching environment which has enhanced their strengths and brought out what makes them compelling as a team. They are skating more as one now, rather than as two singles skaters. And that's a process that happens not just on the ice, but through the hard work of learning how to trust each other. I find J/C's new programs very engaging and affecting to watch. I love their new moves, positions and lift variations. And btw, I think J/C will be getting new costumes as the season progresses. It looks to me like Vanessa is wearing a practice outfit and Morgan is wearing regular clothes, likely on purpose this early in the season.

Last edited:

topaz

This must be the podcast some posters here have been commenting on. I had missed it too. This is previous to Finlandia Trophy recap and after International Classic and Nebelhorn recap apparently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM7CGQ_RuAo Autumn Classic & Medvedeva

I don't think TSL's comments about Debbi Wilkes and her co-commentator for this event were horrible or overly snarky. There's some truth to what Dave & Jonathan had to say. . It is true that Dave goes off on tangents and is disorganized with his overall approach. However, in this recap there are some interesting asides and references to costumes and to past pairs competitions. Although, I didn't enjoy Dave piling on Ashley about reusing her old programs.

Jonathan really likes James/Cipres and he makes a good case for why, while being realistic on what their weaknesses are. It was a fair assessment by both Dave and Jonathan of D/R and J/C. However, I also feel J/C deserve for fans and critics to acknowledge them for their technical strengths, and their enviable connection (rather than the continual knee-jerk harping on them not being the best at this or that). J/C have improved a great deal and they have found programs and a coaching environment which has enhanced their strengths and brought out what makes them compelling as a team. They are skating more as one now, rather than as two singles skaters. And that's a process that happens not just on the ice, but through the hard work of learning how to trust each other. I find J/C's new programs very engaging and affecting to watch. I love their new moves, positions and lift variations. And btw, I think J/C will be getting new costumes as the season progresses. It looks to me like Vanessa is wearing a practice outfit and Morgan is wearing regular clothes, likely on purpose this early in the season.

I agree with everything. I think Jonathan has more inciteful opinions, but his bluntness is unprofessional at times. I think he could phrase some of criticisms more constructive. Also, I think their knowledge of more diverse music tastes and trends are lacking. Example, Weaver and Poje's music is very authentic afro Cuban salsa/bacheta music. But it appeared neither Dave nor Jonathan have a knowledge about latin music.

I liked Jonathan's remarks about Polina Edmunds. I agree with them. I like her programs this season, if she gets stronger.

VGThuy

I agree with everything. I think Jonathan has more inciteful opinions, but his bluntness is unprofessional at times. I think he could phrase some of criticisms more constructive. Also, I think their knowledge of more diverse music tastes and trends are lacking. Example, Weaver and Poje's music is very authentic afro Cuban salsa/bacheta music. But it appeared neither Dave nor Jonathan have a knowledge about latin music.

I liked Jonathan's remarks about Polina Edmunds. I agree with them. I like her programs this season, if she gets stronger.

I think you're right about that. I remember last season Dave and Jonathan Arvo Paart was and thought his piece was just music from a car commercial. Jonathan even called it Thomas Kinkade or something. They obviously didn't know who Part was or how people view "Spiegel im Spiegel". And they were referring to the music, not the skating itself. I honestly don't know why Beyer is on there honestly as he has no real special insight that a run-of-the-mill fan would have and I kind of think TSL should be more than that.

Maddie Sparks

I think you're right about that. I remember last season Dave and Jonathan Arvo Paart was and thought his piece was just music from a car commercial. Jonathan even called it Thomas Kinkade or something. They obviously didn't know who Part was or how people view "Spiegel im Spiegel". And they were referring to the music, not the skating itself. I honestly don't know why Beyer is on there honestly as he has no real special insight that a run-of-the-mill fan would have and I kind of think TSL should be more than that.

I tend to agree. I would prefer Dave to keep rotating his guests like last season - with amateur skaters, choreographers and even skating media personalities. If anything so that the recaps would be a little bit different every now and then. Jonathan's opinion never changes, so I already know what team he's going to be condescendingly snarky to, and which team he will kiss ass no matter what. Gets boring after a while.

artsciboy

I tend to agree. I would prefer Dave to keep rotating his guests like last season - with amateur skaters, choreographers and even skating media personalities. If anything so that the recaps would be a little bit different every now and then. Jonathan's opinion never changes, so I already know what team he's going to be condescendingly snarky to, and which team he will kiss ass no matter what. Gets boring after a while.

I'm sure Dave would prefer this as well. That said, its likely not possible as I think Dave and post-Jenny TSL have lost so much credibility that its virtually career suicide for any respected skaters, choreographers, coaches and skating media personalities to make an appearance. Its telling that TSL has lost sponsorships and I wouldn't be surprised if a fair number of prolific members of the skating community who have been past TSL guests/supporters and burned by Dave in the process have cautioned others. Sad given what TSL was able to achieve just a few seasons ago, but Dave brought it on himself.

skatfan

Dave tweeted today that they are going to do some Patreon format for at least part of their shows. Part 2 of the Fratianne interview will appear there.

sap5

So you'll need to pay to see part 2 of the interview? I wonder if he'll set it up so you'll need to pay if you want to see the special guest for a recap, but you only get Jonathan if you want to watch for free. :p

bardtoob

So you'll need to pay to see part 2 of the interview? I wonder if he'll set it up so you'll need to pay if you want to see the special guest for a recap, but you only get Jonathan if you want to watch for free. :p

:lol: So cruel . . . to anybody that might me moderately interested.

wouldacoulda

Dave tweeted today that they are going to do some Patreon format for at least part of their shows. Part 2 of the Fratianne interview will appear there.
I don't know anything about this format, but one of the posters mentioned it wasn't free. I guess I'll have to be selective, if it's a PPV set-up. Thanks for posting the info!

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I don't know anything about this format, but one of the posters mentioned it wasn't free. I guess I'll have to be selective, if it's a PPV set-up. Thanks for posting the info!

Quite a few YouTubers out there have Patreon accounts (with more exclusive content) to help offset their running costs. Sometimes, it's a case of not knowing what you'll get until you've paid.

bardtoob

It's like watching a free show, going out for intermission, then suddenly being charged upon returning to your seat

More like they want the strong dislike to grow. {{Said as I strike a pose with eyes rolled, head turned to left, and dramatic hands to my face with my mouth open as if I am a damsel in distress in a silent movie ... Or David doing variations on his one move}}

:rolleyes::drama:

Last edited:

Eeyora1

Wtf? Seriously?
TSL has gone down hill! Yes Dave can be funny but he needs a more stable expert to weight in. I actually kind of like Jonathan but not with Dave. That being said I still like their FB page!

sap5

Wtf? Seriously?
TSL has gone down hill! Yes Dave can be funny but he needs a more stable expert to weight in. I actually kind of like Jonathan but not with Dave. That being said I still like their FB page!

To be fair, I was just speculating on future processes. Not sure if that is really what TSL will do.

Dolore

What does TSL need money for? They have no expenses since Dave still uses his webcam and mic from 2004, there is no editing process and the guests are just regular friends of Dave that no little to nothing about skating. It would be like paying to read people's ignorant opinions on Twitter.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
What does TSL need money for? They have no expenses since Dave still uses his webcam and mic from 2004, there is no editing process and the guests are just regular friends of Dave that no little to nothing about skating. It would be like paying to read people's ignorant opinions on Twitter.
Maybe he plans on getting a better video setup or travel to competitions with the funds? As full details haven't been provided I have no idea why people are freaking out about it. Much like I don't know why people freak out about TSL in the first place. No one is forcing you to watch, pay, or support the show. If you don't like Dave's opinion or his guest how about you start you own youtube channel so everyone that is too lazy or not enough time to do one themselves can spend 30 seconds picking it apart. As far as I know there has never been a call to action by Dave requesting others opinions about what the show should be or what direction they should go. I myself enjoy listening to people talk about skating even if I don't agree with their opinions 50% of the time because at least someone is talking about a much forgotten sport.

barbarafan

Maybe he plans on getting a better video setup or travel to competitions with the funds? As full details haven't been provided I have no idea why people are freaking out about it. Much like I don't know why people freak out about TSL in the first place. No one is forcing you to watch, pay, or support the show. If you don't like Dave's opinion or his guest how about you start you own youtube channel so everyone that is too lazy or not enough time to do one themselves can spend 30 seconds picking it apart. As far as I know there has never been a call to action by Dave requesting others opinions about what the show should be or what direction they should go. I myself enjoy listening to people talk about skating even if I don't agree with their opinions 50% of the time because at least someone is talking about a much forgotten sport.

Well there are others that do good recaps. I usually like https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXRyeIeYTTcKYhSDjYyjR7A/videos

Xela M

Really surprised with Dave's prediction that P&C will win over V&M, especially after a competition where P&C had a fall. I wish I was this confident! I think V&M will be ahead by a lot in the short and I'm not sure P&C will be able to make it up in the free - as much as I think their long is genius and as much as I dislike Moulin Rouge. I also don't think Canadians are that easy to beat at politics.

sap5

I don't think the gap between V/M and P/C in the short will be big at all. In fact, I don't see a reason why P/C couldn't be placed ahead of V/M in the short. At least not yet.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
It’s all going to come down to levels in the SD. V&M have had an easier time getting level 4s in the No Touch steps (I don’t think P&C ever got L4 for them in the past), but I don’t think the margin will be big otherwise. I expect overall PCS within .25 points in the SD.

In terms of the FD, I’ll wait until the GPF to see how the judges will compare them. It looked like P&C had the edge PCS wise last season until they met at NHK. This season, P&Cs FD was made to cater to what the judges expect and want. I believe it remains to be seen how the judges will mark V&Ms FD, as its construction is not typical in terms of music and theme, but more literal.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I think in general, at the Olympics, the judges keep it close in the shorts regardless of whether they should be that close or not. Keeps it suspenseful for the frees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information