The Skating Lesson

clairecloutier

I've just watched the start of the discussion with Duhamel who I just love. But I really had to control myself to not kick my computer screen in when Dave and the dickhead next to him were laying into Alexa Scimeca. How clueless are they to be giving lectures on how to react to people on social media?

Dave blocks everyone and argues like a petulant child, and as if crying in a bathroom dickhead gets to give social media posting advice. Literally could not believe the self righteous sanctimonious tone they took!

:rolleyes::( Wish there was some way we could listen to Meagan's comments without having to listen to anything else ....

topaz

I hope Jason does not go to Frank C, if Frank C is still coaching. Frank is like 80 years old, he's had a long career. Time to move on.

I don't see Frank improving Jason's skating at all and I don't think of Frank as "some icon" of coaching. Many of the skaters he's coached, several ladies seem worse off emotionally and mentally after their tenure with Frank C.

Willin

3. Gracie Gold would have gotten on my last nerve and I would have thrown her jacket in the trash too. :wall: I say that as someone who has been entirely supportive of Gracie and her journey. I am not a therapist and neither is Frank.

4. And I have a whole five minutes of sekret knowledge :blocjudgewhere I eavesdropped on Frank talking to Dice Murakami at a summer comp. He was calm, focused, making suggestions, not at all “my way or the highway” (certainly a lot less than good old Rafael A. comes off) Now is he going to scream and curse at a public venue? No. But I also think he gave zero fcuks about someone overhearing him either, and was not changing his style for that.
I heard this from a coach that knows Frank. It wasn't a personality problem with her personality, though. It was a problem with him calling in every expert he knew to fix her problems (he's a perfectionist - in a case like Gracie he was determined to figure it out no matter what) and nothing worked. That's when the frustration kicked in. I'm sure it was most frustrating in light of how talented she is and how good her skating is.

Raf is far from my way or the highway. He adjusts to what his skaters need - at least in training. That's why he worked for Ashley so well - he helped, but he also let her have freedom to skate as much as she wanted and when she wanted. Of course he'd force her to come in when she didn't want to, but he never gave her strict limits. I think that also lends itself to her recent struggles. He can try to force her to come in, but recently with her self-admitted drop in motivation no measure of urging was going to get her in some days.

I really don’t get why a financially stable 80yo would want to still be working full time in a stressful field.
Maybe he loves it? Or feels he has unfinished business? Idk. It's Frank. I feel like he hates it but wants that ladies Olympic champ so bad he'll still be coaching until he gets one - even if he's dead. (Who's scarier - Ghost Frank or Angry Coach Frank?)

I'm not sure I agree with Jason having an on ice personality and charisma already. All of Jason's programmes have been him doing Rohene choreography, I just see Rohene in every movement he does. If leaving Kori means not working with Rohene anymore, I'm not sure what the programmes would look like and it's that look and presentation that has gotten him where he is now. A Frank/Lori programme....i'm willing to keep an open mind and judge it on the merits, but if she's never worked with Jason before I can't imagine feeling good about any programmes she may do for him. I am very happy to be proved wrong.
Jason definitely has personality and charisma. Not as much in the slower programs, but there's a reason Riverdance went viral. And have you seen his exhibition programs? There's a reason the crowd goes crazy for him. If it was just the choreography and a manufactured expression, he wouldn't be getting the applause he gets.

Tavi

Am I the only one confused about what exactly Frank brings to the table for Jason? Frank isn't primarily a technical or jump coach, and that's the main area where Jason needs help. He doesn't need help with artistry or polishing. And he doesn't really need help w/learning how to compete. (I suspect Jason's recent inconsistency has been more due to injury/quad pressure than anything else. He was always quite consistent until the last year or so.) So where does Frank come in exactly? And before anyone can say that I'm dissing Frank, I'm not. I totally respect him as a coach, especially his ability to polish and package and manage skaters. I'm just confused about how he and Jason are a fit.

For me, Frank not only improved Jason’s jumps, speed, and power, but he helped him achieve a beautiful clarity of line and movement. He worked with Frank right before he went to 2017 Worlds, and I think those were two of his best performances ever.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I love Jason Brown's presentation and performance.

But, with the gigantic technical increase in men's skating of late, will a couple of quadruple toe loops be enough?

Bigbird

The Skating Lesson mentioned it on their worlds recap show.

I’m excited Alexa and Chris are trying a new coaching situation. I never thought it would happen considering Delilah married them and after listening to them gush about her this year. But I think the change could be good for them.
He can't jump to save his life and seems content to be the husband. But if he's serious about not under-performing anymore it could work, right?

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
Can we PLEASE officially rebrand TSL as "Dave and the dickhead"? :rofl::love:
This is funny because I had two buddies that served in the Navy with me and some one gave them this exact nickname. After we came back to the USA, they moved to San Francisco and started a shop that sells good made from leather. You can buy a nice pair of chaps there if you are ever visiting that city, although my wife and I will not go there because we do not have enough guns and bullet proof garments to protect us from the murderous aspects of life in such a sinful place.

I have ever heard there are bears running loose throughout the streets of San Francisco, awful awful awful!

aml78

I heard this from a coach that knows Frank. It wasn't a personality problem with her personality, though. It was a problem with him calling in every expert he knew to fix her problems (he's a perfectionist - in a case like Gracie he was determined to figure it out no matter what) and nothing worked. That's when the frustration kicked in. I'm sure it was most frustrating in light of how talented she is and how good her skating is.

Raf is far from my way or the highway. He adjusts to what his skaters need - at least in training. That's why he worked for Ashley so well - he helped, but he also let her have freedom to skate as much as she wanted and when she wanted. Of course he'd force her to come in when she didn't want to, but he never gave her strict limits. I think that also lends itself to her recent struggles. He can try to force her to come in, but recently with her self-admitted drop in motivation no measure of urging was going to get her in some days.

Maybe he loves it? Or feels he has unfinished business? Idk. It's Frank. I feel like he hates it but wants that ladies Olympic champ so bad he'll still be coaching until he gets one - even if he's dead. (Who's scarier - Ghost Frank or Angry Coach Frank?)

Jason definitely has personality and charisma. Not as much in the slower programs, but there's a reason Riverdance went viral. And have you seen his exhibition programs? There's a reason the crowd goes crazy for him. If it was just the choreography and a manufactured expression, he wouldn't be getting the applause he gets.

Jason has a special quality. No question. I was moved to tears at the end of his 4CC performance this year. I have not been as big of a fan of Jason’s recently but with that performance he won me back. It was magical.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I have ever heard there are bears running loose throughout the streets of San Francisco, awful awful awful!

You'll love the bears in San Francisco, trust me! :saint:

although my wife and I will not go there because we do not have enough guns and bullet proof garments to protect us from the murderous aspects of life in such a sinful place.

you won't need guns or bulletproof vests, but you may want to bring a different type of protection if you ever decide to make the pilgrimage to San Fran...

Last edited:

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Totally agree. I think any choreographer would be in heaven working with Jason, as there is almost no limit what they could give him.

Once, we saw a brief program of Jason skating to another choreographer's work in a young choreographers' showcase or competition or something. It was good.

I believe the program was choreographed by Garrett Kling, to music by YoYo Ma? It definitely showed another side of Jason.

And to jump off, for what it’s worth, Jeff Buttle told Jason he was doing fine in a comment on IG about SOI. So technically he is skating someone else’s choreo (I know show skating, cheesefest, yadee yadee. Still someone else’s choreo....)

More jumping off, and not directed at you Claire, just in general, we’ll just have to agree to disagree on Frank’s merits, or for that matter, Raf’s. But as much as I am Team Frank, the man deserves a retirement. He doesn’t need to prove bubkes when he comes to skating or coaching; he needs to sit at a pool in Palm Springs and imbibe froufrou drinks from glasses with umbrellas and live large.

And this is why I can’t listen to Dave, even with Meagan as a guest ... Dave is telling Alexa that she should calm down on her social media?
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

jenniferlyon

It's Frank. I feel like he hates it but wants that ladies Olympic champ so bad he'll still be coaching until he gets one - even if he's dead. (Who's scarier - Ghost Frank or Angry Coach Frank?)

Angry Ghost Coach Frank is the scariest. He haunts his former students (except Evan Lysacek). Their skates are NEVER in the place where they left them because Angry Ghost Coach Frank can move them. If the former student no longer skates at all, pairs of skates will mysteriously appear in their closets. The junk food in their homes grows mold long before the expiration date. Angry Ghost Coach Frank also messes with the music in their smart phones, deleting certain songs, adding others and making them play over and over again.

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
Angry Ghost Coach Frank is the scariest. He haunts his former students (except Evan Lysacek). Their skates are NEVER in the place where they left them because Angry Ghost Coach Frank can move them. If the former student no longer skates at all, pairs of skates will mysteriously appear in their closets. The junk food in their homes grows mold long before the expiration date. Angry Ghost Coach Frank also messes with the music in their smart phones, deleting certain songs, adding others and making them play over and over again.
I think I like him a lot all of sudden :lol:

VGThuy

TSL giving advice to Alexa on how to handle criticism and hate? The irony is too delicious. This is continued behavior by both Dave and Jonathan where they hate being confronted with how their comments and snark and “fun” can affect people and when people give back even a fraction of what TSL dishes out.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

You'd better not hate
You'd better not eat
You'd better just skate
God help you don't Tweet
Coach Carroll is coming to teach.

He knows when you are slacking
He knows when you are late
He knows when you've been cheating 'cause
He took your dinner plate

So, you'd better just jump
You'd better just spin
You'd better shut up
You'd better just win
Coach Carroll is coming to teach.

Last edited:

arakwafan2006

Few things about the most recent edition.

La's voice sounds like it's only gonna be around for another week or so before it dies. Dreadful to listen to and with the two on either side of her, over talking, it's a mess.

Marie- France and Weaver Poje- I would love to know why Montreal won't take them. I have a hunch that the rebuild that Marie- France and Patrice and Romain would want to do would take the full 4 years and they don't have 4 in their tank? I mean, i have seen them train and they're pretty laid back but the Montreal skaters don't play around. In other words, Weaver and Poje may want new perspective and the Montreal camp may say, we want to rebuild it all? It's a guess. Lord knows they saying "yes" to Chock and Bates indicates that they fear nothing because those two have more work ahead of them than any team there.

Marina- Maybe her run at Ice Dance is over? I believe that USA pairs should be stationed right in Canton. I get it; she is the queen at throwing a Balet at a team with barely any edits and our teams prefer an edgier presentation. Still, her attention to detail and refinement is what's needed. Castille and Okolski are an example of what having her as a coach part-time can do. I also wonder why more pairs are not working with Johnny Johns. His teams were good but needed style which Marina could bring... not sure. I would love to see her with a good pair, namely the team that skated to Candy Man.

Igor and Pasquale- I visit both facilities sometimes and it's a ghost town with more happening at Igor's rink. Pasquale is the yang to Igor's yin that he needed to replace Marina. I am optimistic with this partnership. Pasquale ushered in the lighter, less cluttered choreography with the lyrical style if you ask me. Igor only knows how to turn a team into a reboot of Naomi and Peter lol.

starrynight

I think its a good thing even for variety or perspective to have at least one top team not at Gadbois.

Competition is better than a total monopoly.

The Russians of course are doing a lot of work to develop a new school with
Krylova.

skatfan

Latest episode - I was :eek: about Dave’s comments about Erin Andrews. I didn’t think those were necessary - and he went into “what are the Nassar victims going to get from th Karolyis”.

Agreed-- that was terribly off, and La tried to intervene with him, but it's like Trump - once there's an idea in his head, it cannot be shaken. And good on the gay guys for ganging up on La with her different point of view - and good for her for calling them out on it during the show.

mysticchic

Agreed-- that was terribly off, and La tried to intervene with him, but it's like Trump - once there's an idea in his head, it cannot be shaken. And good on the gay guys for ganging up on La with her different point of view - and good for her for calling them out on it during the show.
Haha, Dave Lease the gay Trump of figure skating

Rock2

They might have all been drunk for that episode.....or experimenting with their level of meds. Dunno.

I actually take it for what it is. Cheap entertainment. I mean I could get caught up in the drama of taking unprovoked potshots at Jackie Wong or whatever, but I'm not involved so I just laugh.

There is a bit of insight in a number of things (I'm not saying all...by any stretch) Dave says. But he either gets OTT about it or otherwise packages it with extra stuff that you have to dig for the little piece that's worth taking away. But that's his brand. He's doubling down on it.

This vlog needs a credible straight person. Straight meaning someone articulate and sensible, who can serve as a watchable foil for Dave's antics. Right now Dave is painted into a corner with Jonathan as a regular and La as a guest. I'm sure if I met Jonathan I'd think he's a nice guy and I'd have many positive things to say about him. But, he adds less than zero value to these episodes. Ok well he verbally treads water while Dave (who visibly struggles to pay attention or follow anything that Jonathan says) catches his breath and moves on to the next thing.
I truthfully now turn off the sound or advance the video whenever Jonathan opens his mouth. I just can't.

chachacha

The Skating Lesson is just David Lease who does not have the credentials or Skating background outside of being a very beginner skater who does not represent himself in a Professional manner nor provide constructive feedback. I stopped watching a long time ago. Jenny Kirk at least had the skating background and had a professional delivery.

Peepsquick

I like Jonathan :shuffle: ... now Dave is an acquired taste, something like a fascinating trainwreck ... just watching his facial expressions is entertaining, listening to him is a different matter altogether: he is snarky, partial and the worst gossip but somehow, I am always waiting for the next installment of "The skating lesson" :watch:. I disagree with most of what is said but I will still listen. Minor addiction?:slinkaway:slinkaway

Rock2

The Skating Lesson is just David Lease who does not have the credentials or Skating background outside of being a very beginner skater who does not represent himself in a Professional manner nor provide constructive feedback. I stopped watching a long time ago. Jenny Kirk at least had the skating background and had a professional delivery.

There are a few things to unpack here:

*Just because he hasn't skated at a high level does not mean he can't bring insight. He has skated and studied the sport intently. He also does turn to coaches and others close to the sport behind the scenes for perspective. You will notice that his credentialed guests who are reputable e.g. Tom Dickson don't often disagree with Dave's comments. There really is some content there so I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss him because of his lack of skating resume.

*Following from above, he does provide quite a bit of constructive feedback. Yes there is snark over and above that, but if you take emotion out of it and look at some of his points that are very much skating related, many of them are valid criticisms. Curious about what things he has said that specifically have to do with skating that aren't constructive? (again, I'm not talking about catty comments, I'm talking about skating criticisms).

*He does not represent himself in a professional manner. Valid observation. I might argue that he's not trying to. He wants to be provocative and irreverent. That's his brand. If you want down the middle, professional content that never strays into the margins, follow Jackie Wong. As Dave points out in a less diplomatic way, there are a LOT of conservative skating fans who are easily offended. He's not trying to appeal to them. In fact, he goes one step further and makes fun of them. That's some combination of crazy and gutsy.

I'm not president of the Dave Lease Fan Club by any means but I always try my best to be objective (yes, it's a struggle). I think we have a number of cases here where we dismiss anything Dave says just because we don't 'like' him. This is a natural phenomenon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information