The Skating Lesson

VIETgrlTerifa

Ratings
Yeah unlike Buzzfeed, TSL went the opposite way. They were starting to gain traction and credibility but once Jenny left, it took a nosedive to the lowest common denominator. But it relishes in that. It is what it is, so at least people know what to expect. That said, I am still grateful for the interviews they have done in the past as those were excellent and conducting an interview from a fan’s perspective is really the best way to go for people like us.

berthesghost

Ratings
That’s fine, but let’s face it none of them are winning a RuPaul reading challenge. Is the library really open if it’s all unintelligible. Their reads are like : Dave: “and then there’s Ashley”
La: “I don’t know, she’s so...” mumble bad audio Jonathan talking at same time
Jon: “she’s like ...” mumble bad audio all 3 talking at once
Dave: “ ...... (mumble bad audio too many people talking over each other) so enough about that”
Jon: “yeah, that’s all I’m saying”
That’s a read?

Rock2

Ratings
For all the criticsm of Dave, he has a lot of followers, especially compared to the curators of more down the middle content.

TSL has 56K instagram followers where Rocker Skating has 10K
They are about the same on Twitter, TSL has 20% more.
TSL YouTube views are in the 30K-50K for the average major video.
TSL has just under 40K friends to Wong's 3 on FB.

If memory serves, most of these followers were acquired post-Jenny.

I think because Dave can rub people the wrong way, his detractors are more vocal than his supporters, so it seems he's maybe not doing well. But the stats show the market is craving for his type of content. As unhinged as Dave may seem, he's not dumb. I think he sees the opportunity and is going for it. Takes some combo of courage and stupidity to be brassy. He has missteps but it's a part of the learning process as he strives to perfect his, um, craft (?) and own his niche.

MAXSwagg

Ratings
I’m sorry but Jackie Wong mostly just regurgitates information. That is his “brand.” Most anyone can sit at a practice and “report” what is happening. He is also quite biased at times and says some very goofy-minded things. Though he and even Dave are better than that talking head Nick McCarvel. Jackie, Blade Boys (with unbearable and absolutely Canadian-biased Ted Flett), and Dave get relatively the same information and access.

vireo

Ratings
Jackie Wong's reporting from competitions is an incredible gift to skating fans who can't be there. I believe he truly appreciates the work and sacrifices required to become an elite level skater. Jackie's enthusiasm for his favorites never leads to hostility and disrespect toward their rivals. That's something we would all do well to emulate.

kittysk8ts

Ratings
I’m sorry but Jackie Wong mostly just regurgitates information. That is his “brand.” Most anyone can sit at a practice and “report” what is happening. He is also quite biased at times and says some very goofy-minded things. Though he and even Dave are better than that talking head Nick McCarvel. Jackie, Blade Boys (with unbearable and absolutely Canadian-biased Ted Flett), and Dave get relatively the same information and access.
He actually does some good analyses and provides some great information regarding IJS for those less studied in that area. Ted is a super nice fellow but perhaps a bit monotone. I like Jackie because he doesn't trash anyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)