The Skating Lesson

aftershocks

Banned Member
This isn't the first time Jenny has left and Dave was able to stay afloat. Say what you want about him, but he is a pretty resilient bitch.

Exactly, and he's pretty shameless too. Plus like most of us he brings more than half the s**t c**p he ends up having to deal with upon himself, and he should probably take a step back to realize that fact. Again, like most of us. ;)

Marco

He also interviewed Karen Chen right after she won Nationals, and then interviewed Plushenko at the backstage of some ice shows.

all_empty

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
My wife and I decided to watch the Four Continents review this afternoon, but we are going to make a beefy crock pot lasagne before we go to church tonight and we do not have one hundred minutes to spend watching. We will try to watch it soon!

The person on the left has nice eyebrows. My wife wants to know whether this is something she can achieve at home or if there is a salon with locations in New Mexico where she could go to get "the look."

Bellanca

Dave & Jonathan are having fun with a sport they're both passionate about. I've enjoyed Dave's interviews and their recaps. If you have a passion for something, go for it. That is all Dave's done. It is so easy to turn away from something that is unpleasant, in this case TSL, especially if one is not a fan, but for those who enjoy it, that is why they are there. TSL has defined itself as a love-hate experience among skating fans, strong word, sadly, but appropriate, I suppose. You can always check out Jackie Wong's Rocker site. Right now, Jackie has the team event schedule and participants listed with time conversion and the whole nine yards. Bless! :respec:

vesperholly

Didnt he used to post here as the TheIronLady too? If so he was a good poster here, too bad he dissapeared. Agreed about the resilient bitch part, haha.
If Dave isn't posting here, he's reading PBP threads avidly at the very least. I've watched the US Nationals and Europeans videos and there are talking points lifted almost wholesale from threads. I'm not saying he is plagiarizing - these are just opinions and/or speculation that I've read from several people here, so he probably has common opinions.

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
Dave & Jonathan are having fun with a sport they're both passionate about. I've enjoyed Dave's interviews and their recaps. If you have a passion for something, go for it. That is all Dave's done. It is so easy to turn away from something that is unpleasant, in this case TSL, especially if one is not a fan, but for those who enjoy it, that is why they are there. TSL has defined itself as a love-hate experience among skating fans, strong word, sadly, but appropriate, I suppose. You can always check out Jackie Wong's Rocker site. Right now, Jackie has the team event schedule and participants listed with time conversion and the whole nine yards. Bless! :respec:
So are you saying that you like these very long videos because the host is passionate but also unpleasant? I'm not sure if I understand.

Hopefully tomorrow my wife and I will have more time to watch. It sounds like we will either love it or hate it. Maybe we will be on opposite sides of the argument like we feel about that version of parsley they use in Mexican food. I love it but my wife says it tastes like polluted lawn clippings!

If Dave is the one with the "eyebrows," I hope Dave finds this thread to answer my question from post number 699!

aliceanne

My wife and I decided to watch the Four Continents review this afternoon, but we are going to make a beefy crock pot lasagne before we go to church tonight and we do not have one hundred minutes to spend watching. We will try to watch it soon!

The person on the left has nice eyebrows. My wife wants to know whether this is something she can achieve at home or if there is a salon with locations in New Mexico where she could go to get "the look."

How do you get lasagne in and out of a crock pot?

Bellanca

So are you saying that you like these very long videos because the host is passionate but also unpleasant? I'm not sure if I understand.

Hopefully tomorrow my wife and I will have more time to watch. It sounds like we will either love it or hate it. Maybe we will be on opposite sides of the argument like we feel about that version of parsley they use in Mexican food. I love it but my wife says it tastes like polluted lawn clippings!

If Dave is the one with the "eyebrows," I hope Dave finds this thread to answer my question from post number 699!
Hmmm, the pseud in the TSL thread. Hey, sorry to hear about the dog and the IKEA couch incident. What a bummer. :dog:

Rock2

I really enjoy TSL although video by video they are hot and cold, I find.

Dave especially is staking his position in the blogger/youtuber market with his more acidic, take-no-prisoners (however you want to describe it) approach. He even makes fun of a certain breed of skating fans who feel their role in life is to love everyone, hug puppies, celebrate syrupy emotional stories and manage everyone's self esteem. That doesn't seem to be fun for him. So, people who tend to dislike criticism with a smattering of cattiness would not enjoy his brand.

I happen to like it...and tend to agree with a lot of what he says. Many skaters follow him in social media and like his posts. It wouldn't surprise me if many agree with a lot of what he says AND how he says it. I will say that most skaters, coaches and judges I have ever talked to talk a lot like him once they loosen up and grow to trust you a bit.

He's well researched and well prepared for the most part, although you can tell he's more in depth on certain skaters than others.

He's also fairly objective, taking some people to task when he has praised them in the past. People who might say he has his favorites are usually just unhappy that he says something correct about an athlete they happen to like. Happy to be proven wrong on this one with some backup.

If you're easily offended (and that seems to be quite a number of people) then Rocker Skating is prob more your thing. Nothing wrong with that at all, just as I don't find anything wrong with Dave's brand. He's certainly the more entertaining one out there if you have thick skin.

Jonathan? Well he's a reliable sidekick. He's not nearly as knowledgeable as Dave and you can tell he ebbs and flows in the amount of prep he puts in. Some of the rambling that happens is Dave being polite and stopping to let Jonathan jump in. Many times, he has nothing to add but feels he should talk to keep a balance of conversation going and you can see Dave's face pretty much looking like mine -- trying hard to keep quiet and listen, while at the same time inside wishing he'd make his point so they could quickly move on. I'm sure it'll get better on that front.

Willin

@Rock2 Well researched? Objective? Dave being polite? Are... are you Dave?

Skaters liked them when Jenny was there, but since then they've had an absolutely rotten relationship with the vast majority of skaters and people involved with skating. USFSA, who used to grant them press passes, isn't doing so any more. Skaters who used to give them "inside information" aren't any more. Skaters, officials, and coaches are actively shutting them out of the loop. All of their sources are "anonymous" (they don't even hint at their identities as they did in the past) because they know any source brave enough to still talk to them will not get any more sensitive information if they continue to talk - if these sources even exist.

The objective part is by far the worst part of this though. Like how is suddenly insulting your sources/spreading rumors about your sources/insulting the skaters coached by your sources the second they stop giving you information objective? How is trashing skaters and saying nasty things about them when they don't want to text you anymore (because you say nasty things about other skaters) objective?

Rock2

@Rock2 Well researched? Objective? Dave being polite? Are... are you Dave?

Skaters liked them when Jenny was there, but since then they've had an absolutely rotten relationship with the vast majority of skaters and people involved with skating. USFSA, who used to grant them press passes, isn't doing so any more. Skaters who used to give them "inside information" aren't any more. Skaters, officials, and coaches are actively shutting them out of the loop. All of their sources are "anonymous" (they don't even hint at their identities as they did in the past) because they know any source brave enough to still talk to them will not get any more sensitive information if they continue to talk - if these sources even exist.

The objective part is by far the worst part of this though. Like how is suddenly insulting your sources/spreading rumors about your sources/insulting the skaters coached by your sources the second they stop giving you information objective? How is trashing skaters and saying nasty things about them when they don't want to text you anymore (because you say nasty things about other skaters) objective?

I didn't say polite in general, I called him polite in that situation. You seem to be positioning this as a blanket statement on my part and I'm sorry you're choosing to take that direction.

When you start getting into commentary that he's trashing skaters when they stop answering his texts, it becomes clear to me that this may not be a productive conversation....unless Dave has told you himself he's out to get certain skaters because of this. I choose not to speculate on motivation as that's a slippery slope. I try my best to comment on what I see.

At the very least, I will say that for the most part that when he criticizes a skater that he has typically supported, I have often agreed with the analysis. Not always but usually. I don't get as caught up as you on the drama behind the scenes, which you seem to be into enjoy delving into. You might be a perfect audience for his channel, I think. I'm surprised you don't enjoy it more....

The fact that he is shut out of USFSA press pit is both a positive and negative. USFSA is about image and not about transparency. You'll never get good info in a media scrum; it's all packaged and appears in more sterile media. He's taking alt routes that are consistent with his brand. I suspect that revealing sources was the wrong way to go which is prob some skaters weren't happy. I would say that protecting your sources by not identifying them is the way to go. That's pretty common in media.

No I am not Dave. Further, I have never met Dave or Jonathan...or Jenny, nor have we even messaged each other digitally. He has no clue who I am.

You certainly have quite the set of narratives going on in your head that are quite the departure from reality. I'll leave you with them.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
So, people who tend to dislike criticism with a smattering of cattiness would not enjoy his brand.

There's a difference between "cattiness" and "outright nastiness" and he crossed that line a long time ago. Weir is catty and pathetic. Lease is an out-and-out nasty bitch.

I happen to like it...and tend to agree with a lot of what he says.

Wow, so your whole reaction to Katia and Harley winning Junior Worlds was to laugh at their music selection, make a couple of snide comments about it, then ignore it? Great to know.

Many skaters follow him in social media and like his posts. It wouldn't surprise me if many agree with a lot of what he says AND how he says it.

Yeah..that's why a US skater was celebrating when he got blocked by them and then a bunch of other US skaters - quite well-known ones - commented under his Twitter post congratulating him, celebrating their own blocking, or bemoaning his luck because they couldn't seem to get rid of TSL yet. Yeahhhhhh, but the skaters love him.......

He's well researched and well prepared for the most part, although you can tell he's more in depth on certain skaters than others.

tl;dr: if you're outside the top six you're lucky if he remembers your name. Yeah, he's super well researched. :rolleyes:

He's also fairly objective, taking some people to task when he has praised them in the past.

Objectivity is not fawning over someone one minute and then absolutely trashing them in a nasty manner the next. That's being a two-faced bitch. Objectivity is also not laughing in a skater's face.

If you're easily offended (and that seems to be quite a number of people) then Rocker Skating is prob more your thing. Nothing wrong with that at all, just as I don't find anything wrong with Dave's brand. He's certainly the more entertaining one out there if you have thick skin.

Jackie is the entertaining one because a) he actually knows what he's talking about and b) he can be funny without being nasty. Which I know might come as a shock to you and other TSL sycophants, but that's actually possible, y'know.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Wow, so your whole reaction to Katia and Harley winning Junior Worlds was to laugh at their music selection, make a couple of snide comments about it, then ignore it? Great to know.

tl;dr: if you're outside the top six you're lucky if he remembers your name. Yeah, he's super well researched. :rolleyes:

I'm obviously no fan of the majority of what TSL is all about, but these particular comments are :lol: First, the poster you replied to said that they agree with a lot of what TSL/Dave says. But you took one comment about your favorites and made it extremely personal.

Second, their shows already seem to be an hour and a half or two hours long. If Dave discussed the lower-level skaters, it would probably be a 5 hour show. He knows what his fan base wants and it's obvious from the comments he gets on Youtube/replies on Twitter. They want drama and sarcasm and 'a voice of truth'-- the last part I think is :rolleyes: in the way TSL presents it, but he's continuing what made him popular in the first place and while it may be losing officials/credentials/skaters/nosy rink moms, he still seems to keep the same majority of followers.

sap5

The reason TSL continues is because there are lots of people within the skating fandom that want exactly what Dave is serving. No matter how much some people want to pretend otherwise.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

The reason TSL continues is because there are lots of people within the skating fandom that want exactly what Dave is serving. No matter how much some people want to pretend otherwise.

I guess it works both ways.

I know of skaters who are quite hurt by the things TSL say about them on their podcast.

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information