The Skating Lesson 2018/2019

kittysk8ts

Scott Dyer was great (apart from saying "like" soooo too many times for an adult person) It's interesting how much better and more serious the show becomes when they have an invite who raises the level of knowledge. It makes it harder to get away with some BS that always crept in when there was only Jonathan and Dave.

Agree 100%. I find these particular episodes watchable. When Dave tends to want snark about a particular skater these guests (like Scott) have a way of turning the conversation into a more general topic and not about certain skaters. This is better for me personally. I like the skaters. I don’t want to tear them down. Discuss, yes. But accuse and mock, never. Having blabbed all of that, I will continue to pick and choose what I watch/read from them and consider myself lucky to have any choices at all.:D:D

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
The video was taken at the Broadmoor World Arena Ice Hall, on the NHL rink, in Colorado Springs....the OLY training center sign is easily visible in the video. Hasn't Rika trained there in the past on occasion? ..

If it was taken at the World Arena Ice Hall there's an extra question mark because there are signs on all the doors stating that spectators are not permitted to record figure skating sessions.

annie720

Per said:
Scott Dyer was great (apart from saying "like" soooo too many times for an adult person) It's interesting how much better and more serious the show becomes when they have an invite who raises the level of knowledge. It makes it harder to get away with some BS that always crept in when there was only Jonathan and Dave.

Agree 100%. I find these particular episodes watchable. When Dave tends to want snark about a particular skater these guests (like Scott) have a way of turning the conversation into a more general topic and not about certain skaters. This is better for me personally. I like the skaters. I don’t want to tear them down. Discuss, yes. But accuse and mock, never. Having blabbed all of that, I will continue to pick and choose what I watch/read from them and consider myself lucky to have any choices at all.:D:D

I noticed this in the last video when Dave tried to throw shade at Vincent Restencourt again and even tried to bring Scott into it. To his credit, Scott didn't go there at all. If Dave has something on Vincent he should just say it and stop dropping hints. It's this smarmy side of him that turns me off. Other than that, I enjoyed the Nationals discussion.

Last edited:

B.Cooper

If it was taken at the World Arena Ice Hall there's an extra question mark because there are signs on all the doors stating that spectators are not permitted to record figure skating sessions.

I am going to assume a coach (Zakrajsek???) took the video and sent it to TSL....that was what I was referencing above....

Tinami Amori

Lol, a loose translation of Bezic's comments on TSL about Tutberidze skaters went viral in Russian media with of course a very predictable reaction..
I read them all... :D and the reaction. nothing new. russian skating fans are only confirmed in their belief that "canadian figure skating personalities are russian haters", and that all "FS canadians" will always see anything good in Russia as "glass half full" or "something evil" and will exaggerate everything out of proportion against Russia.

Let them. Canada does have much in ladies or men singles... and Team Eteri is doing fine... :D

B.Cooper

Glad to know it was Tom Dickson....Zakrajsek, IIRC, hosted TSL in Colorado Springs when they did their road tour, and I think he has stayed on good terms with them.... so I thought perhaps it was him who posted the video, as she was working on her jumps.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I've really enjoyed Scott Dyer's skating. I appreciate hearing his commentary. Since he was never a star competitor, we never got to hear him talk a lot, aside from in the kiss 'n cry. Maybe DL connected with Dyer through Doug Razzano, or back when Jenny and DL were visiting training sites.

Anyway, the U.S. Nats review episode was worth watching purely for Dyer's interesting responses. I love how Dyer allowed Jonathan and DL to talk and shoot themselves in the foot with their excess. And then Dyer honed in on his points in a no-nonsense, yet laid back way. It was interesting how Dyer characterized watching the pairs as anxiety-inducing because "they were all so intense." And he felt that's why some of the mistakes happened. However, the discussion didn't focus much on the fact that C/L were calmer and they did take each moment and each element one at a time, which is the key to how they won.

I don't disagree that Haven/Brandon have to fix problems with their jumps, but in other areas they are strong and their programs by Charlie White I feel are good this year. Plus, H&B have some of the best lifts in the world, and a very good 3-twist. So I think being too down on them is unfair. But some of the criticisms in this instance seem to boil down to which teams everyone personally favors over others.

There were some good points made about the technical issues on the throws that Deanna & Nate need to improve. It was interesting hearing about some of the thinking going into making changes to help push forward the U.S. pairs discipline.

The discussion about Tarah's crying was simply perception and opinion. It was a big moment and she felt devastated after the fluke of missing that lift. We don't know what else might have been going on there. Jonathan was wrong about suggesting they try the lift again. They were not going to get points for it. They had no choice but to move forward and try to catch up with the music for the last moves. Unfortunately, that was the money dramatic piece de resistance to cap off the building climax, and they missed it and so the entire impact of the program was lost in that moment. That kind of thing can be extremely emotional. Different personalities will react differently.

I thought it was worrisome hearing about the judges' tendency toward 'group think,' and changing opinons on skaters from year-to-year based on things other than their skating.

Quotes by Dyer that were on point:
"You see with the Japanese skaters a real understanding of where they are on the blade, a real understanding of their transfer of body weight when they're doing crossovers and going from one direction to the next. I think that's ever so slightly been forgotten [in the U.S.] right now... It's awesome having the jumps down, but I think [more time should be spent with skaters] doing really basic exercises... On the backward crossovers, is your body weight going toward the inside of the circle as you push the outside leg away? Instead of that kinda reach away [with] the inside leg reaching and the body weight having to come afterward... That [reaching movement] takes so much time to get around the rink instead of really getting into it."

"I came to Frank after 10 years of working with Nathan Burge on posture, on understanding music... on learning skating... So when I got to Frank [and began getting choreography from Lori] it was just accentuating the attributes that I'd already been working on since I was 11."

At 1 hour 20 minutes into the broadcast when DL was just bringing up Tarah/Danny, Dyer said:
"Okay, this is the last thing I can talk about, and then I have to go teach two classes..." :cheer2:

During the K/O discussion, Dyer observed:
"That transfer of weight [is off for Tarah]. She reaches the leg and then tries to get the rest of her body to go with it afterward. The upper body and the lower body are not working in a unit to get her to accelerate across the ice like Danny does. Hers looks like a lot of effort. If she became more efficient with her edges and the power that she's trying to create, they would really accelerate. Because they do have really nice qualities. So again try to understand that transfer of weight, the center of gravity, where you are on the blade. We're looking at trying to do really difficult things, but if we don't understand how we stand on these blades, we can only go so far."

Just before departing, Dyer made sure to say:
"Everyone works really, really hard. Nationals is it's own beast. Stuff happens, but I love them all. I skated with so many of them for years and years. I have respect for anyone who goes out there like 100 percent, because I get it. I get it."

Unfortunately, DL seems fixated on dissing Starr Andrews. She landed in 8th place in both programs, and that was a fair, middling effort. She's had ups-and-downs this season and she seemed somewhat subdued. She's 17-years-old and she's still a promising, up-and-coming skater who has a lot of work to do. What is the point of DL claiming in a negative tone of voice, "She likes the limelight." ?? I'd say Starr has a passion for skating or she wouldn't have gotten this far in the first place. DL needs to chill. Dyer looked uncomfortable and said nothing about Starr. He allowed DL to ramble on awkwardly.

There could be some truth to the criticisms of H/D's program selection this year. However, it could also just be that they had run out of ideas and were slightly burnt out but needed to come up with something since they were continuing and not taking a break. So they went with something they'd thought about previously. I am impressed at how H/D have improved their FD over the course of the season. Probably they are still working on it. Likely H/D's power and amazing skills will see them through the rest of the season, and they can reboot for next year. I think the criticisms of H/D's FD is a bit overdone. Sure, Manta/Johnson are very creative and work a lot with CrhistopherDean, so they are always fun to watch. And their program has a lot of edge and sass that we have come to expect of H/D. So we'll see what happens and what future choices H/D will make for program selection.

Tada

I thought the 4CC episode had some quality talk and discussions, good one.
I find it difficult to know what I can believe and can’t believe when they speak. It seemed less nasty than previous recaps (thank god, maybe they are maturing? Or just doing what’s needed to keep the show alive) yet if they don’t even know after 4 plus months of the season who choreographed what, facts easily confirmed in less than 30 seconds of research...it’s understandable to doubt anything they say. I wanted to feel “Great, more information, less snark” but of that information what is fact, what is an assumption, what is a need to believe etc?

Willin

I find it difficult to know what I can believe and can’t believe when they speak. It seemed less nasty than previous recaps (thank god, maybe they are maturing? Or just doing what’s needed to keep the show alive) yet if they don’t even know after 4 plus months of the season who choreographed what, facts easily confirmed in less than 30 seconds of research...it’s understandable to doubt anything they say. I wanted to feel “Great, more information, less snark” but of that information what is fact, what is an assumption, what is a need to believe etc?
I'm happy there's less snark, and I'd hate to attribute it to a tragic situation or internet bullies, but I think (almost hope - because that might mean less nastiness going forward for a long time) it is at least in part due to the Coughlin situation.

I think part of Dave (and Christine Brennan) getting death threats or insults was an emotional reaction from immature idiots, but I think part was Dave's history of being self-serving, snarky, gossipy, and generally mean to skaters. He could say all he wanted "I just want you to know this information" or "It's important to get this out there," but given his past actions and even some during the time he broke the scandal it was hard for some people (including myself) to see it as anything else but normal Dave stuff until it became more widely reported and the situation got tragic.
There was the whole "look at how great I am for breaking this news" by questioning why other outlets weren't reporting it. The fact that he said it was not reported and he found out via rumors or playing up the rumor aspect initially made it seem like this was another one of his "I know this nasty gossip that you don't" ploys he does all the time - even if later he tried to backtrack and say it was technically public knowledge. And then there's the thing that he likes to insult popular skaters/coaches or start saying outright nasty things about them for apparently no reason (although it usually happens to behind-the-scenes personal drama of them ignoring Dave or them not feeding him gossip) - so even with the concrete nature of this story - Coughlin was being investigated - it could appear like Dave only exposed that for personal reasons or due to a vendetta, not due to any actual desire to share the information.

So maybe he's realizing that if he ever wants to report a story like that seriously he needs to make his brand less inflammatory. Personally I think he did have good intentions in publicizing it, but was so used to his brand that he went about it in the wrong way and it was understandably taken the wrong way by some fans. But hopefully this means he'll make his brand less inflammatory in the future.

Triple loop

I believe Peggy had a bit of a bug up her butt because back in the day as a rising star, when Elaine was asked whom she admired, she said Scott Hamilton, or maybe Gordon McKellen. Not La Fleming, as was to be expected from every ladies' skater.

Any other association would have been beside themselves with ecstasy if they'd had an athlete like Elaine. She really was a skater for the era. Fresh, modern, dynamic, and exciting. I hated how they tried to throw princess packaging at her, and she wasn't having any of it.

I just watched this recent episode of The Skating Lesson and I was appalled. Dave was very mean about his comments about Elaine. Who does he think he is? He was so nice to her in 2013 when he interviewed her with Jenni. He was excited that they are both from New Jersey. Gosh, to state that she was Elvis Stojko in a dress was uncalled for. Doug was kinder with his comments about her 1994 performance. Training was different in the 1980's. There wasn't the technology we have now to analyze jumps. We Americans should just be proud of Elaine for giving us a world championship in 1982 and winning a bronze medal at the 1984 Worlds as the lone representative. That allowed Tiffany Chin and Debbie Thomas to go to the 1985 Worlds. Unfortunately. I decided to stop watching The Skating Lesson as of now.

MIsty Blades/Skate Mom

Banned Member
I take TSL with a grain of salt.
Dave has a lot of fan-based knowledge and skating experience (albeit lower level), so much of what he says can be credible. The snark is why people go to TSL. It is entertainment. The comments are juicy, and we want to know more and while we are listening/watching, our guard is down. Only after we watch Dave & Jonathan do we start to apply critical thinking (me at least).
I mean, if I were to assess my time management, I waste a few hours a week with TSL. I could be using that time for self-improvement or bonding with my family, but instead. I watch Dave & Jonathan.

rhapsody

Maybe it's just the Norwegian in me who hates feelings, emotions, and saccharine nonsense but I thought TSL's recap of the Thank You Canada tour was hilarious. I can see why it's not public--they would probably get murdered multiple times over by angry Canadian pre-teens.

Favorite line: "I think Canadians lack a cringe reflex." :rofl:

skatingguy

decently
Favorite line: "I think Canadians lack a cringe reflex." :rofl:
As a Canadian, I tried to watch the tv presentation of the tour. I made it as far as Osmond's free skate and I fast forwarded through the fluff pieces. Watching Osmond step out of her triple lutz, exactly like at the Olympics, I decided I couldn't take anymore. I definitely have a cringe reflex.

Limonite

I read there was a small talk about Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze in the Thank You Canada Tour video. Can anyone please share what was said?

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
As a Canadian, I tried to watch the tv presentation of the tour. I made it as far as Osmond's free skate and I fast forwarded through the fluff pieces. Watching Osmond step out of her triple lutz, exactly like at the Olympics, I decided I couldn't take anymore. I definitely have a cringe reflex.

You make it sound like she finished 17th with that Olympic skate. :lol: I'd dearly love to see her skate on tour, stepout and all.

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
I read there was a small talk about Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze in the Thank You Canada Tour video. Can anyone please share what was said?
I cannot pin point exactly now but they did mention this during their segment while they were talking about Slutskaya interview (never mentioning the source or the translation done by @TAHbKA for FSU) about the problems Russians have with SLC and how Sikharulidze got into bar fights when moving to USA.

barbarafan

but a little nugget is that Meghan Duhamel and her husband are relocating to USA to Florida (i think) to take on a coaching positions. It is the rink where Jim Peterson coaches.
Seriously?????? Maybe they were playing with DL for revenge or a test..(they said it to him in complete confidence and then waited to see if he would spill the beans) Unless there is some huge split between Bruno and Richard Gauthier in which case I could see at least half of their teams would switch to Bruno. I would wait and see on this one.....Maybe his source wasn't Meghan and/or Meghan was joking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information