The Skating Lesson 2018/2019

CaliSteve

We aren't trying to be the anti Dave/TSL. We are doing what we want to do the way we want to do it.
I agree, you can like Coke and Pepsi.
Thank you!

I really like both shows.

Its funny they both have similar assessments but obviously difference delivery.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Watching TSL is kind of like the time someone I didn't respect said I could be friends with them. But, on the condition I not let anyone else know. Ouch.

D

Deleted member 53443

Best part of last show was David's face when Browning sort of made fun of today's slower, "artistic" step sequences. It goes so against what they usually talk about... it looks like he is trying to find something to say but can't.

I know we aren't supposed to embed videos here, but search for the video where Browning, Hamilton and Wylie do a number together where they have no music but instead create sounds of blades against ice with their skates in wild step sequences. It is just as creative artistically than the broad, soft stuff especially Jonathan is so in love with.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Best part of last show was David's face when Browning sort of made fun of today's slower, "artistic" step sequences. It goes so against what they usually talk about... it looks like he is trying to find something to say but can't.

I know we aren't supposed to embed videos here, but search for the video where Browning, Hamilton and Wylie do a number together where they have no music but instead create sounds of blades against ice with their skates in wild step sequences. It is just as creative artistically than the broad, soft stuff especially Jonathan is so in love with.

Or one year at the World Pro in Landover, Torvill & Dean started one of the performances without any music at all.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Whoa this is so cool! Only thing is... how can the commentators start yapping and break the magic, geez.

That's why I like Ted Barton. He's quiet until after the performance.

Otherwise, it's on a par with going to a movie, and having someone behind you giving a play by play at the top of their voice.

skatfan

The interview with Lisa McKinnon was good. She's an interesting gal - having the full skating background and some real costume jobs as well. Love her designs, and her perkiness! Glad that her business is booming.

MK's Winter

The interview with Lisa McKinnon was good. She's an interesting gal - having the full skating background and some real costume jobs as well. Love her designs, and her perkiness! Glad that her business is booming.

I enjoy the interviews with designers. I like the insight into creating the dresses. The interview they did with Lauren Sheehan was good- so much history there.

skatfan

I enjoy the interviews with designers. I like the insight into creating the dresses. The interview they did with Lauren Sheehan was good- so much history there.

Yes, that was a good one too. Lisa reminds me of a more contemporary version of Lauren.

Amantide

I found Lisa McKinnon a bit boring tbh. I listen till half video then I stopped. Pity cause I like to hear about the subject since I like pretty much anything about design, clothing etc.

skatingguy

decently
I found Lisa McKinnon a bit boring tbh. I listen till half video then I stopped. Pity cause I like to hear about the subject since I like pretty much anything about design, clothing etc.
Keep going, the conversation picks up again towards the end.

Tavi

Well, in that case, Ima do that. :D:saint:

To me the interview was interesting in the beginning when she talked about her life in Sweden and the beginning of her career, but less successful when she was “careful” in her answers. For example, she didn’t seem willing to discuss her favorite costumes of the season - whether they were her own or by another designer - which seemed odd. She also made a lot of “general” comments. Dave is usually pretty good about getting people to answer things candidly, which makes for interesting interviews. In this case, my sense was that Lisa was being strongly protective of her business. Nothing wrong with that, but it made parts of the interview seem a little more “PR” and a little less compelling.

Amantide

To me the interview was interesting in the beginning when she talked about her life in Sweden and the beginning of her career, but less successful when she was “careful” in her answers. For example, she didn’t seem willing to discuss her favorite costumes of the season - whether they were her own or by another designer - which seemed odd. She also made a lot of “general” comments. Dave is usually pretty good about getting people to answer things candidly, which makes for interesting interviews. In this case, my sense was that Lisa was being strongly protective of her business. Nothing wrong with that, but it made parts of the interview seem a little more “PR” and a little less compelling.

Yep. I thought that was the problem too. It was like listening some sort of official interview, press conference. Donn't know how to explain.

Interview with Katia Gordeeva:

https://youtu.be/zK5cOv0kfBs

Love it.

Amantide

Strange enough, I just "discovered" TSL's interview with David Wilson about Yuna Kim. A 2 yrs old interview, or maybe even older. :rolleyes::D

Anyway, I thought it was very good interview, very interesting.

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I'm not sure what he was expecting...that he was going to ask her confrontational questions?

Well, Dave would likely do that. But for the majority of the population, they’d probably find a way to be sweet as well, whether they say they would or wouldn’t. It’s like when you talk and talk and talk about how much you can’t stand someone and then they are around you and you either say nothing or you smile and play nice.

I don’t think Ted had any reason to be nasty to her so I don’t get the problem so many people have with his praise.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Well, Dave would likely do that. But for the majority of the population, they’d probably find a way to be sweet as well, whether they say they would or wouldn’t. It’s like when you talk and talk and talk about how much you can’t stand someone and then they are around you and you either say nothing or you smile and play nice.

I don’t think Ted had any reason to be nasty to her so I don’t get the problem so many people have with his praise.

Agreed. Eteri is one of the top coaches in Russia, if not the world. That her ladies stood 1-2-3 on the podium at the national championships is quite something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information