The Skating Lesson 2018/2019

barbarafan

I'm really enjoying these recaps with the special guests.

Meghan should do all pair commentary for all events. That girl is honest and her love of skating shows. Her respect for Sui/Han shows no bounds, and I think she was spot on when she said that T/M probably thought they'd won the gold after their free skate.

Jenny came back - I guess they mended fences with her, and since she is wanting to start a skating coach/life coach career, this is a great time for a reappearance. They all got along pretty well. The conversation about the Ensoo/Mariah 'incident' was pretty intelligent. Anything they said about Zagitova's programs, I've been thinking. I was glad that they emphasized that they are not blaming her but the team, acknowledging that since it is succeeding, it's not likely to change. The Eteri style is simply not one that inspires me.

Mark Hanretty is doing Dance with them, and I would guess that Doug Haw might join them for the Men's Final.

I haven't seen Meghan with the pairs yet so I will withold an opinion on that...If she gives honest commentary on Gauthier's teams fine...if she skims over their problems I won't listen to her again...as after all Gauthier's teams are her husband's clients as well so we will see if that is a conflict.

Jenny is back and Dave & she are twin twin again. I don't think her discussing Gabby Daleman and her instagram etc. on a widely seen youtube channel was the correct platform for someone who has now studied and graduated in the field so should know better. She does not know Gabby and certainly has nothing in front of her giving a complete diagnosis of her problems so she is just blabbing in thin air...She does this, then she does that then this again. In one of the writeups besides her physical problems it was mentioned she has ADHD which does happen to make you jump all over the place in your mind being gungho one minute and withdrawn the next. Besides what you see on the outside there is so much more going on within and it will take a while to figure what is the best recipe for her improvement.
As well Dave and Jenny were very snide and insulting..calling Brian Orser Eyore and Tracy something else. Johnathon was the adult in the room.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Ladies Recap:https://youtu.be/Tk-X-wJIjP0

With Jenny Kirk because you know- she hates TSL so much😂

I never saw any reference to Jenny 'hating TSL,' a platform which she helped to create. There is definitely truth to the fact that Jenny and Dave had some run-ins, which in part led to Jenny leaving the show. Last summer, in the aftermath of Denis Ten's shocking death, DL made reference to having been back in touch with Jenny. It's not unusual to encounter problems working together, and to part not so amicably, and then later reconnect.

As I've repeatedly pointed out, the TSL platform is valuable, and it has many followers. Dave's tendency to be overly snarky and off-putting, combined with Jonathan's tendency to be off-putting and nebulous as a co-host, is a separate issue from the overall value of the platform.

Last edited:

MK's Winter

I never saw any reference to Jenny 'hating TSL,' a platform which she helped to create. There is definitely truth to the fact that Jenny and Dave had some run-ins, which in part led to Jenny leaving the show. Last summer, in the aftermath of Denis Ten's shocking death, DL made reference to having been back in touch with Jenny. It's not unusual to encounter problems working together, and to part not so amicably, and then later reconnect.

As I've repeatedly pointed out, the TSL platform is valuable, and it has many followers. Dave's tendency to be overly snarky and off-putting, combined with Jonathan's tendency to be off-putting and nebulous as a co-host, is a separate issue from the overall value of the platform.

Not sure what truth you are referring to. She stepped aside to do other things. It does get hard to work with people sometimes, but it wasn’t the big distancing people thought it was or disassociating from the brand.. I made a joke about it. You seem triggered.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Not sure what truth you are referring to. She stepped aside to do other things. It does get hard to work with people sometimes, but it wasn’t the big distancing people thought it was or disassociating from the brand.. I made a joke about it. You seem triggered.

Uh, I would have to point out that you are the one who seems to be 'triggered' by my response to your 'joke.' As I mentioned in my previous post, Jenny leaving the show was clearly not about her 'hating' TSL, as your 'joke' claimed others had characterized. No one ever said that.

Tada

I haven't seen Meghan with the pairs yet so I will withold an opinion on that...If she gives honest commentary on Gauthier's teams fine...if she skims over their problems I won't listen to her again...as after all Gauthier's teams are her husband's clients as well so we will see if that is a conflict.

Jenny is back and Dave & she are twin twin again. I don't think her discussing Gabby Daleman and her instagram etc. on a widely seen youtube channel was the correct platform for someone who has now studied and graduated in the field so should know better. She does not know Gabby and certainly has nothing in front of her giving a complete diagnosis of her problems so she is just blabbing in thin air...She does this, then she does that then this again. In one of the writeups besides her physical problems it was mentioned she has ADHD which does happen to make you jump all over the place in your mind being gungho one minute and withdrawn the next. Besides what you see on the outside there is so much more going on within and it will take a while to figure what is the best recipe for her improvement.
As well Dave and Jenny were very snide and insulting..calling Brian Orser Eyore and Tracy something else. Johnathon was the adult in the room.
Uh, I would have to point out that you are the one who seems to be 'triggered' by my response to your 'joke.' As I mentioned in my previous post, Jenny leaving the show was clearly not about her 'hating' TSL, as your 'joke' claimed others had characterized. No one ever said that.

I watched just the part about Daleman. I couldn’t take it anymore. Opinions heaped upon assumptions, judgements without fact masked in niceties, wow, I felt sick to my stomach. All three scare me, they shouldn’t be allowed out in society.

B.Cooper

What happened with the law school plan for Jenny Kirk? I know back in 2017 she announced she was going to pursue a master's degree in social work, but a few years prior to that, she had talked quite a bit about applying to law school.

CaliSteve

Ive been wa
What happened with the law school plan for Jenny Kirk? I know back in 2017 she announced she was going to pursue a master's degree in social work, but a few years prior to that, she had talked quite a bit about applying to law school.

Jenny mentioned in an article that she went to law school for a semester and realized it wasnt for her.

skatfan

Jenny mentioned in an article that she went to law school for a semester and realized it wasnt for her.

I thought even before she went to law school that this wasn't going to be a good fit, so the fact that she has her social work degree (I hope it's an MSW) seems a way better match.

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
I thought even before she went to law school that this wasn't going to be a good fit, so the fact that she has her social work degree (I hope it's an MSW) seems a way better match.

I would hope it's a MSW. She always seemed so flighty and air headed. Phil Hersh even commented on that. Hopefully for the next year or so, she'll take this seriously before she's on to the next 'thing'. And I loved her participation. Keep it up TSL! Keep updating on how Bradie needs better lipstick (thank you Jenny for those words of wisdom, her marks should go straight to the top now, like Evy said you should have in 2001...)

Last edited:

MK's Winter

Lol not really. Jenny and Dave had no issues that made them part ways. She went to Law school, did other things, and got a degree in social work. It’s not that difficult.

CaliSteve

Alez

Jonathan with the Zagitova hating is sad. I could have "strong feelings" about his non-knowledge about the sport, but I am too nice. If you want to nit-pick on one single skater you can take anyone and trash her like all three of them did. I understand, they predicted Zagitova to fess up all season and now it must burn like hell in their behinds that she won, and deservedly so.

I'm taking a break from dat show, this was just too annoying and shitty from them.

Can we give TSL's phone number to Zagitova? So she can call and ask them "to retire and go have babies" or smth. ;)

all_empty

I'm not sure if they've filmed their WTT show yet (I'm guessing not, since it only wrapped Japan time a few hours ago).

With Tuk and Tennell doing so well, I wonder if they'll still bring up what they perceive to be these skater's "limitations" (Tuk's posture, Tennell's packaging) again for the umpteenth time, or actually say something nice (I'm not holding my breath but now that I've put it out in the interwebs, we'll see).

Zagitova, Tuk and Tennell were continually picked on throughout the season by them (and Zhou on the men's side). And sure, no skater is perfect and all have areas of improvement, but you'd think these three in particular were hunchbacked Frankensteins lumbering around in potato sacks instead of three of the stronger finishers.

I can also predict the comments about Kihira's 3A consistency and hope they lay off Daleman because they don't need to go there for the umpteenth time about her as well.

Last edited:

Finsta

But do they say anything different than what we read here in this board? Everyone complaints about Zagitova posture, because it’s bad. And Tukts skating also had weaknesses. And while a good skater, Rika is one that need that 3axel or she places mid pack. Not untrue. Seems a double standard that you expect them to overlook weaknesses o certain skaters. Is that fair?

all_empty

But do they say anything different than what we read here in this board? Everyone complaints about Zagitova posture, because it’s bad. And Tukts skating also had weaknesses. And while a good skater, Rika is one that need that 3axel or she places mid pack. Not untrue. Seems a double standard that you expect them to overlook weaknesses o certain skaters. Is that fair?

It's not what they say, it's how they say it that puts some viewers off.

I've never said they should overlook weaknesses. Yes, Zagitova hunches. Tuk has a lot of sass but not a lot going on choreographically. And Kihira is inconsistent with her 3A. As you said, not untrue.

As others have noted above, they've predicted doom and gloom for Zagitova ever since last year's worlds. In their 2019 worlds recap, Dave even said "I don't see her ever surpassing this" which is pretty much the narrative they've had for a year plus, yet she already proved them wrong. They've made similar comments about Medvedeva, Tursynbaeva, Tennell, etc. only to be wrong there as well.

I appreciate their work, but perhaps after watching an entire season of their shows and hearing the same narratives, it feels like a lot of tearing down.

And this coming from someone who has supported them on this board many, many times (just go back and search).

Last edited:

CaliSteve

Jonathan with the Zagitova hating is sad. I could have "strong feelings" about his non-knowledge about the sport, but I am too nice. If you want to nit-pick on one single skater you can take anyone and trash her like all three of them did. I understand, they predicted Zagitova to fess up all season and now it must burn like hell in their behinds that she won, and deservedly so.

I'm taking a break from dat show, this was just too annoying and shitty from them.

I never got the feeling that Jonathan and Dave hated Alina at all. Jonathan has even defended Eteri on several occasions. They stated their critiques which is shared by many. Also, they were not the only ones that predicted that Alina would not do well at Worlds.

Last edited:

CaliSteve

As others have noted above, they've predicted doom and gloom for Zagitova ever since last year's worlds. In their 2019 worlds recap, Dave even said "I don't see her ever surpassing this" which is pretty much the narrative they've had for a year plus, yet she already proved them wrong. They've made similar comments about Medvedeva, Tursynbaeva, Tennell, etc. only to be wrong there as well.

They weren't the only one with those predictions.

skatfan

They seem to like Alina as a person but are frustrated by her team. Let’s face it, Eteri does not have a great track record for women who’ve gone through puberty. Her programs are meh this year. Alina pulled out a world’s win when it did not look like it would happen. It was pretty amazing!

Like the Lyubov and Charlie interview- I wish them the best!

Finley

This is what drives me insane about their Zagitova spiel. When she came out strong in the beginning of the season - "I think her jumps will start to deteriorate in 14 months or so." Never mind that she just had a great skate, it will all be over in 14 months. Ok, thanks for that.

Zagitova starts to have problems mid season. Literally no one is happier than TSL. "She's losing her jumps. Her technique is failing." Ok, fair enough. They did like her spins if memory serves.

Zagitova wins Worlds! Jonathan is not pleased. "What did she really do to move the sport forward?" More than you are doing, that's for damned sure. He then compares her unfavorably with Medvedeva for not being a 'true disciple of the sport.' Since Med was willing to move to Brian and make improvements.

Zagitova is 16 years old. She is not in any position to do anything other than what she is told by her coaches and parents. Much less 'move the sport forward' or become a disciple to Orser. She's trying to win her first Worlds. She became the youngest person to win Worlds the year after winning the Olympics. You don't have to like her or her skating, but ftlog find something positive to say other than 'hard worker' 'nice levels on the spins' 'pretty girl' 'get a reality show'.

I appreciate Dave and Johnathan for what they are doing but if they could do a little better that would be great!

skatfan

I’m constantly amused by all the people who constantly watch their shows and then gripe about what they say. I guess I don’t have the time devote to shows that irritate me as much as they appear to do to some folks in this thread. But have at it, you’re increasing their views!

Finsta

This is what drives me insane about their Zagitova spiel. When she came out strong in the beginning of the season - "I think her jumps will start to deteriorate in 14 months or so." Never mind that she just had a great skate, it will all be over in 14 months. Ok, thanks for that.

Zagitova starts to have problems mid season. Literally no one is happier than TSL. "She's losing her jumps. Her technique is failing." Ok, fair enough. They did like her spins if memory serves.

Zagitova wins Worlds! Jonathan is not pleased. "What did she really do to move the sport forward?" More than you are doing, that's for damned sure. He then compares her unfavorably with Medvedeva for not being a 'true disciple of the sport.' Since Med was willing to move to Brian and make improvements.

Zagitova is 16 years old. She is not in any position to do anything other than what she is told by her coaches and parents. Much less 'move the sport forward' or become a disciple to Orser. She's trying to win her first Worlds. She became the youngest person to win Worlds the year after winning the Olympics. You don't have to like her or her skating, but ftlog find something positive to say other than 'hard worker' 'nice levels on the spins' 'pretty girl' 'get a reality show'.

I appreciate Dave and Johnathan for what they are doing but if they could do a little better that would be great!

Isn’t Lipinski the youngest to win a worlds title? She won it the year before her Olympics won. She was 14.

skatfan

Isn’t Lipinski the youngest to win a worlds title? She won it the year before her Olympics won. She was 14.

Yes, she was grandfathered into the 1997 eligibility because she had competed the previous year at age 13, and until age restrictions change, no one else can beat that.

Makes one wonder which of the baby Russians would have won Worlds this year without the restrictions!

Foolhardy Ham Lint

For the longest time, the mistake I made was the let TSL get inside my head.

Now that I don't listen to them any more, my doctor tells me that my blood pressure is much lower now.

Finley

For the longest time, the mistake I made was the let TSL get inside my head.

Now that I don't listen to them any more, my doctor tells me that my blood pressure is much lower now.

You are 100% right.

I really enjoy their interviews. And I don't expect them to be the second coming of Dick and Peggy when they are doing their recaps but if they are trying to promote interest in the sport maybe they could lighten up on some of the negativity toward certain skaters. Try channeling their inner Scott Hamilton? "What he did, he did well."

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information