The Heir, The Spare and the “Baby Brain” -The Prince Harry and Meghan show rumbles on…

MsZem

I see the sea
I don't remember Louis at the Queen's funeral
That's because he wasn't there. Neither was Lena Tindall, who's just a few months younger.

BTW, Louis and Lena made their Sandringham debut just this past Christmas. I believe that Mia and Lucas Tindall have yet to appear in the BRF's walk to the church.

MLIS

George and Charlotte attending the Queen’s funeral was a break with tradition for the British royals, they used to never involve young children in these things (a young Prince Charles attended his mother’s coronation and the then Princess Elizabeth attended her father’s as a young girl, but in both cases they were the direct heirs). Even Prince Edward’s son James has only regularly started appearing at services and things, and he’s 15! Louis attended a couple of informal things for the Queen’s jubilee last year (concert, etc) but not the formal church service. Archie and Lili aren’t excluded because of distant or close relationship or malice or racism, they’re simply too young. None of the younger royal grandchildren will be there, I wouldn’t think. The only ones I expect to see are George, and maybe Charlotte, again because they’re in the direct line of succession. Camilla’s grandchildren have been asked to play a ceremonial role for their grandmother (who is also being crowned, so it is also her coronation) and they are older (they’re teenagers) and able to handle the demands of the ceremony. I think they’re brave to face what will probably be a lot of unfair scrutiny and criticism that has nothing to do with them.

canbelto

I find it despicable that Harry's children aren't invited to the coronation but Camilla's grandchildren are. Archie & Lili are Charles' actual grandchildren & Camilla's family aren't related in any way to anyone in the family. Whatever issue Charles has with Harry should not affect his relation with his grgrandchildren.
Huh? Camila's grandchildren are related to Camila, the Queen Consort. They are also not infants the way Archie and Lil are.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I really doubt Archie & Lili would have been invited even if they were teenagers. None of the principals came to Lili's christening which was not a big surprise either.

ballettmaus

But typical for kiddies right.
Absolutely. I don't know what exactly happened at that event but I bet a coronation will likely be even more boring for a child that young.

None of the principals came to Lili's christening which was not a big surprise either.
I may have misinterpreted what I read but I thought Lili was christened in the US? As far as I know, representatives of a country can't just travel to another country without it being or becoming a diplomatic affair.

Do we know what kind of a relationship Charles and Camilla have with Lili and Archie?

canbelto

We have no idea. When Meghan and Harry visited the UK during the jubilee Charles apparently saw both his grandchildren.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Given that I'm American and given that I think the coronation is a big celebration that is costly and mostly something that could be a place a crown on his head and "Tada you're King" now on to business, I don't think whose invited or not - especially children - should cause an such an uproar.

To be fair - I don't think the US Presidential inauguration should be as elaborate as it is either. It should be "sworn in" off to work event. Not the day or 2 day event.

Right now, I doubt Archie and Lilibeth really care about the coronation. Unless the press and adults cry foul, no fair, "you're insulted. You should be insulted for the rest of your lives" stuff. Children - young/teens - are easily bored. I would think by 8:15am before all the real ceremony begins they want to go to their rooms and play or talk to friends.

Really we don't know Charles' relationship with his grandchildren. Maybe he FaceTime's them more than the live time with his grandchildren in England. If he does FaceTime or zoom or whatever, Archie and Lilibeth would get more one on one dedicated time, because he would be solely focused on them during that time.

As for Camilla's grandchildren 🤷‍♀️

Winnipeg

I heard that K and W do not want to socialize with H and M when they are in the UK for the event

Judy

Given that I'm American and given that I think the coronation is a big celebration that is costly and mostly something that could be a place a crown on his head and "Tada you're King" now on to business, I don't think whose invited or not - especially children - should cause an such an uproar.

To be fair - I don't think the US Presidential inauguration should be as elaborate as it is either. It should be "sworn in" off to work event. Not the day or 2 day event.

Right now, I doubt Archie and Lilibeth really care about the coronation. Unless the press and adults cry foul, no fair, "you're insulted. You should be insulted for the rest of your lives" stuff. Children - young/teens - are easily bored. I would think by 8:15am before all the real ceremony begins they want to go to their rooms and play or talk to friends.

Really we don't know Charles' relationship with his grandchildren. Maybe he FaceTime's them more than the live time with his grandchildren in England. If he does FaceTime or zoom or whatever, Archie and Lilibeth would get more one on one dedicated time, because he would be solely focused on them during that time.

As for Camilla's grandchildren 🤷‍♀️
I’m ok with the inauguration but a little less thrilled with the celebrity people/singers etc. That’s just me though of course.

Judy

I do think people need to be reminded though that the Royal family is NOT a normal family though. I’m asking seriously - would anyone here like to live like that?

Not that I’m anything but ordinary but at least I had choices in my life. What I wanted to do for a living .. who I wanted to marry was only my decision .. not living under a huge, huge, huge spotlight. The women/wives are always viciously attacked.

No thanks is my opinion. Plus I couldn’t deal with the freaking high society peeps. No way could I live under a microscope of media making huge money with pictures.

I think very few of us would survive.

MsZem

I see the sea
I heard that K and W do not want to socialize with H and M when they are in the UK for the event
They have to be wondering if he'd put anything they say and do in some future book/interview. And the same goes for Harry, if he assumed his family members leak whatever he does and says to the media.

airgelaal

I really doubt Archie & Lili would have been invited even if they were teenagers. None of the principals came to Lili's christening which was not a big surprise either.

They were not welcomed there.
In Netflix documentary Tyler Perry said
They said, "Well, we'd like for you to be Lili's godfather". I go, "Whoa". I had to take a minute to take that in. And I thought, "I'd be honored. I'd absolutely be honored". And I got off the phone, took it all in and then called them back. I go, "Uh, hold on a second. Does this mean we got to go over there and do all of that in the church with them and figure all that out? I don't want to do that. Maybe we can do a little private ceremony here and let that be that, and if you have to do it there, then that's okay".

Mugs

But isn't the pageantry and the pomp and circumstance the whole point of why people have celebration ceremonies? I mean, why have a costly wedding ceremony? Just hand each other a ring and "Tada you're married". Same with other types of ceremonies, like graduations. Its the ceremony and the sharing of the moment with family and friends that makes it special. Obviously, a coronation will be attended by more than just family and friends. This sort of thing only happens once every several decades and for me is possibly a once in a lifetime event, so I'll tune in for a bit to watch. And I definitely agree that children not being invited to the ceremony is nothing to get in an uproar about. In fact, it's sensible. I would be surprised if H&M are not in attendance. They accept invites to other high profile events. What's more high profile than the coronation of a king, who happens to be your father/in-law?

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Since I had a fairly low budget wedding - Ta Da we're married. For almost 50 years. I guess I'm not too much in to pageantry.
Maybe some but not much

ballettmaus

But isn't the pageantry and the pomp and circumstance the whole point of why people have celebration ceremonies? I mean, why have a costly wedding ceremony? Just hand each other a ring and "Tada you're married". Same with other types of ceremonies, like graduations. Its the ceremony and the sharing of the moment with family and friends that makes it special.
I think weddings and other events have gone over the top as well. It's become more of an event than a wedding, really, and it doesn't seem like sharing the moment with family and friends is at the center but the dress, the decorations, the cake etc.
I understand the desire to have a beautiful wedding but there's something wrong with it when you have to go into debt to get it. That is not what it's supposed to be.

I don't think the coronation has to be a five-minute affair. Just like an inauguration, it is something special. But I'm sure it can be much shorter and less elaborate.

clairecloutier

I think weddings and other events have gone over the top as well. It's become more of an event than a wedding, really, and it doesn't seem like sharing the moment with family and friends is at the center but the dress, the decorations, the cake etc.
I understand the desire to have a beautiful wedding but there's something wrong with it when you have to go into debt to get it. That is not what it's supposed to be.

Kind of off topic, but I think we're going to see weddings start to trend smaller, or maybe we'll see a two-tier trend, where some people go all out while others have very small events. I know a few couples who, in the past few years, have had very small, City Hall-type weddings. It's become ridiculously expensive to have a big wedding (and also very cookie-cutter), and with inflation and housing etc., I think a lot of people won't be able to afford it going forward.

cygnus

Kind of off topic, but I think we're going to see weddings start to trend smaller, or maybe we'll see a two-tier trend, where some people go all out while others have very small events. I know a few couples who, in the past few years, have had very small, City Hall-type weddings. It's become ridiculously expensive to have a big wedding (and also very cookie-cutter), and with inflation and housing etc., I think a lot of people won't be able to afford it going forward.
Hasn't it always been this way though? A few people have massive weddings (not as many as one would think, probably), a few go the tiny route, with a few family/friends and most are somewhere in the middle. Over my 40 odd years of wedding-going, most were in the 50-100 guest range, with a few much smaller. I don't think I have ever been to one with over 100 guests.

Mugs

I don't think the coronation has to be a five-minute affair. Just like an inauguration, it is something special. But I'm sure it can be much shorter and less elaborate.
Your points are valid. Weddings have become almost a competition. And I think it's ridiculous to spend $50K+ to say I do, specifically because it's should be about family and friends. But there can be a happy medium that includes some ceremonial sparkle without debt. My sister had an intimate wedding with forty-two guests. It was lovely and all paid for prior to the wedding day.

I also don't think anyone should expect Charles to give up his moment - that's was never going to happen. I believe I read an article a couple months back that said his coronation wasn't going to be as elaborate as Elizabeth's coronation to keep costs down.

airgelaal

In fact, when it comes to royal weddings, I think that Beatrice's wedding was the most unique.

clairecloutier

Hasn't it always been this way though? A few people have massive weddings (not as many as one would think, probably), a few go the tiny route, with a few family/friends and most are somewhere in the middle. Over my 40 odd years of wedding-going, most were in the 50-100 guest range, with a few much smaller. I don't think I have ever been to one with over 100 guests.

I don't know. Here in the U.S., most weddings I've been to personally are between 100-200 people. I haven't been to any weddings in the 50-guest range. I also feel like civil weddings with no guests were just not a thing when I was younger. Back then, I didn't know anyone who had had that kind of wedding, but now I do. No doubt there's some variation in personal experience.

P.S. I'm also Catholic, and Catholic families used to be bigger, of course, with correspondingly big weddings.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I've been going to weddings since I was about 4 and I have seen it all. :lol: Well, not a royal wedding, at least not in person (did watch Fergie's wedding to Andrew on tv). I know people who have gone to City Hall, some with family & close friends, some without. I've seen weddings that cost a fortune and had a ton of guests but most were in the middle. Some had kids, some did not. I have definitely been to weddings that were under 100 people but not much under. The over 200 ones and the super expensive ones that I read about have been rare. And the ones I've attended have all been Catholic but I think that's because I was raised Catholic and dh's relatives are all still practicing not because those weddings are mostly done by Catholics.

airgelaal

Weddings are also about tradition. At traditional weddings, there can not be few people. And although I am not a fan of weddings, I think that traditional weddings have their own charm and they must be preserved. The royal wedding is also a tradition. Like the coronation, of course.

MsZem

I see the sea
Over my 40 odd years of wedding-going, most were in the 50-100 guest range, with a few much smaller. I don't think I have ever been to one with over 100 guests.
This is also cultural. I've never been to a wedding with fewer than 100 guests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information