The Dance Hall 9: Bring the Bling or No Beijing 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colonel Green

guillaume is the choreographer of l/b's new fd. is this the unofficial retirement announcement? it's hard to imagine that he would choreograph for a competitor, but maybe skaters do this sometimes that I'm not aware of?

I mean, Lopareva & Brissaud are not really his competitors.

Bigbird

guillaume is the choreographer of l/b's new fd. is this the unofficial retirement announcement? it's hard to imagine that he would choreograph for a competitor, but maybe skaters do this sometimes that I'm not aware of?

He's a gifted choreographer. He's also choreographed for other couples prior to this. He's a multi-tasker. But if he did, happy for him and looking forward to the productions.

barbarafan

Guillaume has been choreographing a fair amount on the side. He is so creative. If they are taking a rest for a while it makes sense for him to research his eventual career choices. Looking at the art instead of the medals. Good for him. Can't wait to see the results.

deegee

Guillaume has been choreographing a fair amount on the side. He is so creative. If they are taking a rest for a while it makes sense for him to research his eventual career choices. Looking at the art instead of the medals. Good for him. Can't wait to see the results.
yeah, but it's been for pairs and singles, right? has he choreographed for other ice dancers before?

barbarafan

yeah, but it's been for pairs and singles, right? has he choreographed for other ice dancers before?
I am not sure as anything I see is random postings of PPL I follow..I have no in on the process. But really aren't choreographers like a neutral country...Nothing exists but the skater and the music and the magic in front of them.

deegee

I am not sure as anything I see is random postings of PPL I follow..I have no in on the process. But really aren't choreographers like a neutral country...Nothing exists but the skater and the music and the magic in front of them.
yeah, i get that. i'm just wondering out loud if this might be a harbinger of something.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
Shawn Rettstatt is challenging Halina Gordon Poltorak for Ice Dance Technical Committee chair

For the membership of the committee, incumbents Selby and Elek are running again. Rettstatt is also running for membership (Halina isn't).
Sergei Baranov, David Molina and Ingrid Wolter are challenging the incumbents.
Without Russia's support, she's toast. Nearly all of the incumbents are toast.

chantilly

yeah, i get that. i'm just wondering out loud if this might be a harbinger of something.
If I'm being honest, I think they are likely done. They went through a lot to get their gold the last quad. And honestly I think there really isn't any teams staying or coming up that would challenge them.

I can't imagine they want to "phone in a win"

I know a lot can happen and change in four years, but I just don't see them continuing competitive skating.

Just my gut feeling based on nothing but what I stated above.

Last edited:

Peepsquick

If I'm being honestly think they are likely done. They went through a lot to get their gold the last quad. And honestly I think there really isn't any teams staying or coming up that would challenge them.

I can't imagine they want to "phone in a win"

I know a lot can happen and change in four years, but I just don't see them continuing competitive skating.

Just my gut feeling based on nothing but what I stated above.
I'm afraid that you may be right. If it is, it was a very classy way to exit competition, without much fanfare (if you discount the way they were celebrated like rockstars at worlds! :D). There is a genuine simplicity to who they are at their core.
I will miss them tremendously!

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
So, extremely dumb question. Is it all possible to do a FD to Don’t Fear the Reaper or is the beat too fast? L/B would be a fabulous pick for that song.

chantilly

So, extremely dumb question. Is it all possible to do a FD to Don’t Fear the Reaper or is the beat too fast? L/B would be a fabulous pick for that song.
Not sure.
Don’t know if it’s a great idea but then that song will forever be entrenched in my memory with the Christopher Walken “ I need more cowbell” SNL sketch.

I honestly doubt I’m the only one who would have that thought.😂

Dobre

I have lost track of which Russian splits are still in the rumored stage & which are confirmed. I know Morozov & Bagin and Shanaeva & Narizhnyy are confirmed. I feel like they might all be confirmed now, but maybe that's just because I've seen the rumors posted more than once. If you have confirmation about any of the three teams I listed as "rumored?" below, please let me know & I will remove the "rumored?" label.

Let me know if I am missing anything I should update.

Summer Dance Drama

Splits:
Shevchenko & Eremenko (rumored?)
Shanaeva & Narizhnyy
Ushakova & Nekrasov (rumored?)
Skoptcova & Aleshin. (rumored?)
Morozov & Bagin
Fear & Waddell
Ichilov & Byelikov (oh, honestly)
Calderari & Cilli (she's on IPS)
Val & Vitranyuk (she's on IPS)
Flores & Tsarevksi
Oliver & Andari (he's focusing on school, she says she will continue skating for Poland next season)
Lukinskaya & Pak (he's on IPS)
Takanami & Nishiyama
Benkiewicz & Henault
Ahramenka & Surenkov Gultchev (she switched to pairs)

New Partnerships:
Morozov & Narizhnyy
Benkiewicz & Shapiro

Retirements:
Hubbell & Donohue

Coaching Changes:
Cesanek & Yehorov to Canton

Juniors Aging Up to Seniors:
Ling & Wein
Makita & Gunara
Tali & Frasca
Bitadze & Parkhomenko
Huber & Huber

Other stuff: Alexander Vakhnov is off Ice Partner Search. There's a photo of him with Isabella Flores, but we'll see. Mazingue & Gaidajenko might be going to Montreal. (Update me if it's confirmed).

Last edited:

LoisAGOEs

I have lost track of which Russian splits are still in the rumored stage & which are confirmed. I know Morozov & Bagin and Shanaeva & Narizhnyy are confirmed. I feel like they might all be confirmed now, but maybe that's just because I've seen the rumors posted more than once. If you have confirmation about any of the three teams I listed as "rumored?" below, please let me know & I will remove the "rumored?" label.

Let me know if I am missing anything I should update.

Summer Dance Drama

Splits:
Shevchenko & Eremenko (rumored?)
Shanaeva & Narizhnyy
Ushakova & Nekrasov (rumored?)
Skoptcova & Aleshin. (rumored?)
Morozov & Bagin
Fear & Waddell
Ichilov & Byelikov (oh, honestly)
Calderari & Cilli (she's on IPS)
Val & Vitranyuk (she's on IPS)
Flores & Tsarevksi
Oliver & Andari (he's focusing on school, she says she will continue skating for Poland next season)
Lukinskaya & Pak (he's on IPS)
Takanami & Nishiyama
Benkiewicz & Henault
Ahramenka & Surenkov Gultchev (she switched to pairs)

New Partnerships:
Morozov & Narizhnyy
Benkiewicz & Shapiro

Retirements:
Hubbell & Donohue

Coaching Changes:
Cesanek & Yehovov to Canton

Juniors Aging up to Seniors:
Ling & Wein
Makita & Gunara
Tali & Frasca
Bitadze & Parkhomenko
Huber & Huber

Other stuff: Alexander Vakhnov is off Ice Partner Search. There's a photo of him with Isabella Flores, but we'll see.
Shevchenko/Eremenko have split and both retired, he’s coaching in Averbukh’s new group.
Ushakova/Nekrasov have split, she is supposedly retired although she hasn’t confirmed that herself. Nekrasov is now skating with Elizaveta Pasechnik.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Mazingue & Gaidajenko might be going to Montreal. (Update me if it's confirmed).
They were at a rink in Montreal earlier this week per her IG - no coaches in the photo but it seems pretty certain they've switched to IAM.

RoseRed

They were at a rink in Montreal earlier this week per her IG - no coaches in the photo but it seems pretty certain they've switched to IAM.
IAM also follows both of them on Instagram, and their stories when traveling to Canada said things "So happy and excited to start this new life", which definitely sounds like a full-time move to me (not just coming for choreo or something). Plus a move would be expected, given that they had been with Zhulin. So I agree that it seems clear.

They also just posted a video of their RD from Worlds and the caption included: "we will be back very soon for new surprises. Stay tuned...". So maybe an official announcement soon.

Colonel Green

IAM also follows both of them on Instagram, and their stories when traveling to Canada said things "So happy and excited to start this new life", which definitely sounds like a full-time move to me (not just coming for choreo or something). Plus a move would be expected, given that they had been with Zhulin. So I agree that it seems clear.

They also just posted a video of their RD from Worlds and the caption included: "we will be back very soon for new surprises. Stay tuned...". So maybe an official announcement soon.
It's too bad that Solene has aged out of junior, because they'd probably benefit from being able to do the JGP again.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Canada proposed that the age limit for women in Junior Pairs and Ice Dance be raised to 21, like it is for Men. The ISU says it needs to do more research, including medical research -- Canada's proposal is not based in a medical argument -- so it is recommending against the proposal as being premature.. We'll know after the vote.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Canada proposed that the age limit for women in Junior Pairs and Ice Dance be raised to 21, like it is for Men. The ISU says it needs to do more research, including medical research -- Canada's proposal is not based in a medical argument -- so it is recommending against the proposal as being premature.. We'll know after the vote.
Well, in general, the ISU Council has opposed any age minimum changes for the junior and lower age categories because they want more time to study the issues. I'd rather they raise the junior age minimum to 14 (it's currently 14 on the speed skating side and will be moving up to 15 if their Council-sponsored proposal passes). I think raising the minimum for pairs/dance women to 21 is a good idea, regardless of what other age changes are passed. And Canada's rationale is to help reduce the wide age disparities between partners in both disciplines, so it's sound reasoning.

Last edited:

litenkyckling

why would you need an medical argument anyway? I find it so strange that they are making such a big deal about this if I'm honest. The current rule isn't fair, it encourages young women to be partnered up with much older men, and the root of it is oddly misogynistic.

If they don't want two 21 year olds in juniors then you can have a rule whereby if both partners are the same age then they must age out when they are both 18. But overall, I don't understand the issue. If 21 year old men are allowed to compete in junior then 21 year old women should be allowed too.

It's also unfair on teams where the woman is older than the man.

Colonel Green

The current rule isn't fair, it encourages young women to be partnered up with much older men, and the root of it is oddly misogynistic.
I wouldn't say it encourages it. It's a recognition of the reality that in the partnered disciplines where the guy has to have the muscle strength for lifts (and throw/twists, etc., in pairs) the guy will usually be older. It's extremely rare to see a junior team where the guy is younger -- not that it's super-common in seniors either, but when everybody is in their twenties it's much more viable.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
All I can think of is Allison and Saulius plus Zoe and whatshisface. Are there a lot of Senior teams with older women? I guess Stellato and her Canadian partner as well.

MsZem

I see the sea
All I can think of is Allison and Saulius plus Zoe and whatshisface. Are there a lot of Senior teams with older women? I guess Stellato and her Canadian partner as well.
Savchenko and Massot were another example, as were James and Cipres. Meryl Davis is about ten months older than Charlie White. But it's not very common to see junior teams with a younger man.

Andrea82

I think Muller/Dieck were the only team at Euro, Olympics or Words this year with the men younger than the woman.
Some other teams (Hubbell/Donohue, Turkilla/Versluis and Holubstova/Bielobrova) have both partners born in the same year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information