The Dance Hall 9: Bring the Bling or No Beijing 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
I have seen Weaver in person and she so much thinner than she looks in film/print. To my eye she comes by that naturally, very similar in height/body proportion to my daughters friend. So if Krylova held the other girls to that standard it would have been impossible for them to achieve.
These women are all built so differently. Madi Hubbell and Tessa Virtue in person don’t have an ounce of fat on them. If they tried to be waifs, it would be losing muscle mass.

I really hope that Krylova isn’t giving these comments to her own teen daughter.

litenkyckling

How nice that we may getting away from so much soft and flowy! Bring on voids, jazz, story telling and more!
I am forever questioning why we haven't seen a Twin Peaks programme (or maybe there was in the 90s idk) - such a great soundtrack and so many options for interpretation.

(On the soft and flowy though, I'm afraid I'm a huge advocate for a Bridgerton FD this year. Modern music but with a traditional twist, a great way to have a waltz-y feel, so much dance hold inspiration in the show, storytelling possibilities and costume inspiration. I loved the Pride and Prejudice FD of the German team in 2017/18 and think that something with a similar feel could feel oddly refreshing).

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
On the lowbrow end there is some good movie music in the MCU and the storytelling (not to mention costume) options are quite something.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I am forever questioning why we haven't seen a Twin Peaks programme (or maybe there was in the 90s idk) - such a great soundtrack and so many options for interpretation.

(On the soft and flowy though, I'm afraid I'm a huge advocate for a Bridgerton FD this year. Modern music but with a traditional twist, a great way to have a waltz-y feel, so much dance hold inspiration in the show, storytelling possibilities and costume inspiration. I loved the Pride and Prejudice FD of the German team in 2017/18 and think that something with a similar feel could feel oddly refreshing).
I could see some of the orchestral covers of pop hits from Bridgerton finding their way into ice dance in coming seasons.

Karen-W

The orchestral version of “You Outta Know” from “Jagged Little Pill” was so good in Bridgerton.

I need more Alanis FDs.
I liked the orchestral versions of "Dancing On My Own" and "Sign of the Times" and added them to one of my playlists.

You just know we're going to wind up with the Taylor Swift cover for an FD rather than anything decent, lol.

Dobre

Trying to wrap my head around the Junior Worlds dance field without the JGPF or any of the Russian teams. Thought that I would start off with SB scores. I compared the ISU 2021-22 SB list to the entry list from the wikipedia page for Junior Worlds. Don't know if the latter is correct. Is there an ISU link up with entries for Junior Worlds? Let me know if you see an entered team missing or an incorrectly copied score:

Wolfkostin & Chen-165.01
D'Alessandro & Waddell-163.04
Ling & Wein-160.23
Bashynska & Beaumont-157.39
Brown & Brown-154.25
Lim & Quan-154.01
Kudryavtseva & Karankevich-148.95
Fradji & Fourneaux-146.27
Bernard & Jochum-142.24
Grimm & Savitskiy-138.27
Galimbarti & Mandelli-135.48
Pinchuk & Pogorielov-133.14
Bekker & Hernandez-131.41
Cimlova & Hlavsa-130.94
Oliver & Andari-129.60
Bunina & Kuznetsov-128.68
Lebedeva-Bitadze & Parkhomenko-121.93
Maksymac & Rahier-116.53
Simova & Aksenov-114.55
Leveles & Leveles-91.36
Straub & Straub-86.23

Teams without a current score on the SB list:
Tkachenko & Kiliakov
Kida & Morita
Prever & Dortkal

No teams for Kazakhstan or Finland listed on the Wikipedia page as competing at Junior Worlds? Both countries have teams with JGP scores.

litenkyckling

I liked the orchestral versions of "Dancing On My Own" and "Sign of the Times" and added them to one of my playlists.

You just know we're going to wind up with the Taylor Swift cover for an FD rather than anything decent, lol.
I’m the same - as a huge Robyn fan I just know this is the only way to get a good cover of her music into figure skating

I hope they spare us that, and actually use creativity. It’s so funny to me because I think that it’s a sport that attracts creative people - from the athletes to the coaches to the fans - yet for whatever reason it’s so rare that we see music choices that feel super creative.

sap5

I’m the same - as a huge Robyn fan I just know this is the only way to get a good cover of her music into figure skating

I hope they spare us that, and actually use creativity. It’s so funny to me because I think that it’s a sport that attracts creative people - from the athletes to the coaches to the fans - yet for whatever reason it’s so rare that we see music choices that feel super creative.
Probably because the judges don’t like creativity.

Tbh, real creativity also takes top quality skating skills, and not many teams have that.

LeafOnTheWind

It’s so funny to me because I think that it’s a sport that attracts creative people - from the athletes to the coaches to the fans - yet for whatever reason it’s so rare that we see music choices that feel super creative.

I think this is true of a lot of creative professions. People like to do creative activities. It doesn't necessarily mean they are actually creative people. :shuffle:

Karen-W

Trying to wrap my head around the Junior Worlds dance field without the JGPF or any of the Russian teams. Thought that I would start off with SB scores. I compared the ISU 2021-22 SB list to the entry list from the wikipedia page for Junior Worlds. Don't know if the latter is correct. Is there an ISU link up with entries for Junior Worlds? Let me know if you see an entered team missing or an incorrectly copied score:

Wolfkostin & Chen-165.01
Ling & Wein-160.23
Brown & Brown-154.25
Lim & Quan-154.01
Bernard & Jochum-142.24
Grimm & Savitskiy-138.27
Cimlova & Hlavsa-130.94
Oliver & Andari-129.60
Maksymac & Rahier-116.53
Simova & Aksenov-114.55
Leveles & Leveles-91.36
Straub & Straub-86.23

Tkachenko & Kiliakov
Kida & Morita
Prever & Dortkal

No teams for Kazakhstan or Finland listed on the Wikipedia page as competing at Junior Worlds? Both countries have teams with JGP scores.
Jr Worlds entry lists are here - https://results.isu.org/events/fsevent00111050.htm

Tkachenko/Kiliakov's first Jr international was Bavarian Open so they don't have an official ISU SB yet. I think Prever/Dorval competed last summer at LPIDI, but no JGPs. Not sure where Kida/Morita competed this year to get their TES mins but it makes sense they don't have a SB since Japan didn't send any skaters to the JGP last fall.

I don't think the Kazakh or Finnish teams have the TES mins, but I would have to double-check. The Kazakh team that was sent out on the JGP was very "developmental" - though not as developmental as the Indian team a few years ago.

Dobre

Lukinskaya & Pak, the top Kazakh team on the JGP, had a score of 134.28, which would put them 12th on the list above.

I purposely didn't put Tkachenko & Kiliakov's score on the list because, while I love them & don't think they're at the bottom, comparing non-JGP events with JGP events never really works.

Dobre

I'm confused about why the Mrazeks aren't going to Junior Worlds.
The Mrazeks lost to Cimlova & Hlavsa at Nationals, I believe.

ETA: Double checked. Yes, by 8 1/2 points. The Mrazeks finished 3rd in the RD at Nationals and 2nd in the FD & overall. Cimlova & Hlavsa finished first in both portions of the competition.

Last edited:

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Lukinskaya & Pak, the top Kazakh team on the JGP, had a score of 134.28, which would put them 12th on the list above.

Lukinskaya / Pak have split. (It sounds like she has retired)

shuilee

Mrazkova/Mrazek's season best is 167.06, which would put them as GOLD medal co-favorites with the top USA/CAN teams. Too bad they aren't going to Jr Worlds because they bombed their RD at Nationals. They're clearly the strongest team from Czech Republic based on international results.

Dobre

Mrazkova/Mrazek's season best is 167.06, which would put them as GOLD medal co-favorites with the top USA/CAN teams. Too bad they aren't going to Jr Worlds because they bombed their RD at Nationals. They're clearly the strongest team from Czech Republic based on international results.
I do think it was an interesting result at Nationals. (They also finished second in the FD there). Maybe there was an injury or something else going on as well. I don't know. I didn't see the competition. And, TBH, I don't remember them from the JGP, though I watched all the events so I will have to watch them again or just pay better attention next season.

That said, the last time the two teams competed head-to-head in international competition was the 2021 Egna Dance Trophy, where Cimlova & Hlavsa placed higher.

Also, I don't think C&H's score from Cup of Austria is necessarily reflective of where they are in the field. They counted a fall in the free and were 3 spots higher in the RD. They aren't a bad team.

Dobre

While we're on the topic of interesting dance team selections for Junior Worlds, what happened to Calderari & Cilli for Italy? Galimberti & Mandelli were fourth at Junior Nationals, as far as I can tell from the Nationals thread. Second on the SB list behind C&C among the Italian junior teams, I believe.

Last edited:

azcalder

Wolfkostin & Chen-165.01
Ling & Wein-160.23
Brown & Brown-154.25
Lim & Quan-154.01
Bernard & Jochum-142.24
Grimm & Savitskiy-138.27
Cimlova & Hlavsa-130.94
Oliver & Andari-129.60
Maksymac & Rahier-116.53
Simova & Aksenov-114.55
Leveles & Leveles-91.36
Straub & Straub-86.23

Tkachenko & Kiliakov
Kida & Morita
Prever & Dortkal

The list is up on the ISU Home Page under Junior World Championships. This is dance http://results.isu.org/events/wjc2022_JuniorIceDance.htm

GoneWithTheWind

While we're on the topic of interesting dance team selections for Junior Worlds, what happened to Calderari & Cilli for Italy? Galimberti & Mandelli were fourth at Junior Nationals, as far as I can tell from the Nationals thread. Second on the SB list behind C&C among the Italian junior teams, I believe.
They split in March. She's looking for a new partner, I haven't seen him post anything on his future plans.

Nicole's post: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ca7brSyIzoB/?utm_medium=copy_link

Gris

不做奴才做公民

In addition to @GoneWithTheWind 's post, @Andrea82 had a detailed post about Italy's WJC dance spot selection here. Tali / Frasca were the initial entry but they withdrew and were replaced by Galimberti / Mandelli a few days ago.

Andrea82

The Italian junior race was decided by Egna RD when T/F outscored C/C 61.24 to 54.46.

Average of 2 international competitionsNationalsEgnaTotal
Tali/Frasca145.46 (Mezzaluna + Bavarian Open)149.64146.02441.12
Calderari/Cilli145.275 (JGP Kosice + Mezzaluna)149.91141.51436.695
Galimberti/Mandelli135.74 (JGP Russia + Bavarian Open)127.65134.93398.33
Ventura/Bonetto110.64 (NRW + Mezzaluna)115.42118.53344.59
Finelli/Pedesini102.575 (NRW+ Nice)116.41114.63333.615
Pizzorni/Bucciarelli107.84 (Mezzaluna+Pavel Roman)103.93116.16327.93
Boccalini/Capuci89.12 (Mezzaluna + no second international competition)87.2792.55268.94
Kirichenko/Pellegrini130.345 (Mezzaluna + NRW)133.75-264.095

With Tali/Frasca pulling out last week, Calderari/Cilli splitting, Kirichenko/Pellegrini being MIA in 2022, Italy ended up with the 4th placed at Nationals...

In other Italian news, Carolina Portesi-Peroni returned to ice yesterday.

_________

The judges draw for Junior Worlds was

Azerbaijan
Canada
Czech Republic
Estonia
France
Georgia
Germany
Italy
Poland
Russia (not allowed)
Spain
Ukraine
USA

Last edited:

litenkyckling

I’m hoping for a great showing from Bekker/Hernandez - they’ve been great all season and such a well matched pair. A top 10 finish here would be excellent for British skating, especially considering that there is upcoming talent in DelCamp/Wilson-French

Dobre

Bekker/Hernandez
On the subject of Hernandez, I was looking up Rose Brown & Hernandez yesterday to see what had happened as they were having a strong season in 2019-20 and defeating Fear & Waddell in competition that year. Apparently, per a facebook post, Emily retired or "stepped back" from skating. Thought I would mention this here in case anyone else had missed this news due to the pandemic.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Any hopes for Free Dance ideas next year? I'll uber any team that skates a Euphoria FD.
I don't know, but I'm dying to see what Chock & Bates do next year. If they went with space/alien in an Olympic year, it's nice to think they'd go way further down the unique lane after! Praying they don't play it safe if a world title is on the line...

Also hoping H&B go back to a more new-age P&C rip off FD, like Heart of Glass or their Irrepressibles program.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Trying to wrap my head around the Junior Worlds dance field without the JGPF or any of the Russian teams.
Junior Worlds is an interesting one for me this year. Even with no Russians / several ill-timed splits / unexpected team selections it still seems a pretty deep field, but also fewer obvious future stars than some years. Though I'm usually bad at identifying which juniors will go on to future success, so probably there are a couple of sets of future Olympic champions in the mix. :p

And with no JGPF and the rescheduling, we haven't seen some of these teams compete for so long - Prever/Dortkol's last competition was in August! It will be interesting to see who's progressed in the competive break, but the gap also increases the unpredictability.
Lukinskaya / Pak have split. (It sounds like she has retired)
Pak's IPS bio indicates he's left Russia and might be looking elsewhere for a partner this time around. I thought he showed a lot of potential for one of the youngest guys on the JGP so potentially a good opportunity for an ice dance girl who's up for some country hopping. And the path in Kazakhstan looks pretty clear, since Nauryzova/Datiev, while fun, do not appear to be on a DenStavs career trajectory (also, hope they've left the Zhulin group) and the Florida-Kazakhs split with only the Florida part apparently continuing.
I do think it was an interesting result at Nationals. (They also finished second in the FD there). Maybe there was an injury or something else going on as well. I don't know. I didn't see the competition. And, TBH, I don't remember them from the JGP, though I watched all the events so I will have to watch them again or just pay better attention next season.
It does seem an odd choice, since the Mrazeks looked ready to play spoiler if one of the US or Canadian teams stumbles, but national selection criteria are national selection criteria. But they are still quite young and look well-placed to be competing at the top of the pack next season, assuming some teams move up.
I’m hoping for a great showing from Bekker/Hernandez - they’ve been great all season and such a ;0well matched pair. A top 10 finish here would be excellent for British skating, especially considering that there is upcoming talent in DelCamp/Wilson-French
I agree that Bekker/Hernadez have good potential - a British junior team who can skate a pattern. :love: But they've been pretty messy this season (not too surprising given her lack of experience) so while top ten would be excellent, mostly I'd like them to manage to put together two good programmes and let the results fall where they will. I really hope that all these young teams stay together, or at least stay in GB dance - it would be great to have some domestic rivalry again.
On the subject of Hernandez, I was looking up Rose Brown & Hernandez yesterday to see what had happened as they were having a strong season in 2019-20 and defeating Fear & Waddell in competition that year. Apparently, per a facebook post, Emily retired or "stepped back" from skating. Thought I would mention this here in case anyone else had missed this news due to the pandemic.
Emily B moved back to the UK and is at uni. Seems like she's doing great post-skating. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information