The Dance Hall 9: Bring the Bling or No Beijing 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstflight

The Canada question was interesting to me so I went and compared 2020 4CC, where L/L set their PB FD score of 115.68, to these past worlds.

H/D- FD PCS went up from 56.24 to 58.30
C/B- FD PCS went up from 56.25 to 57.43
Gilles/P- FD PCS went down from 55.84 to 54.55
L/L- FD PCS also went down, more significantly, from 50.66 to 48.81

Note that L/L was Canada’s #2 at the 2020 4CC. So I don’t think it’s all down to levels and calling. The judges have cooled a bit overall to the Canadian teams this season. G/P’s Skate Canada FD score was fine this season, but after that competition, their scores really didn’t show them in the running for Olympic bronze.

ETA: G/P’s PCS was 57.44 at worlds last year. That’s quite a drop to this year!

Last edited:

Colonel Green

People were discussing them partly because their season’s best this season was significantly lower than their personal best.

Why you think that is? I personally think keeping that program for a second season contributed to the issue.
Their personal best from 2020 4CC was when they were the #2 Canadian team at a major championship, and while that isn't supposed to matter, we all know that it does.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I was a little unfair to L/L there -- I realized later I had been looking at the wrong number (told you math is not my friend), and their season's best was actually only about 5 points below their personal best. "Significantly" is probably too strong a word.

litenkyckling

I love the idea of the Rio FD in theory but in practice it just never quite clicked for me. I think perhaps what made this feel a bit more junior wasn’t the music or the theme but perhaps the storytelling? Or the lack of it. S/D took music that could’ve done the same but because they pushed the storytelling element it worked. Maybe L/L just needed to connect this FD to the audience a little more. I also think that they could’ve played up the Latin theme more - those elements felt a little more of an afterthought - but highlighting that movement over the birds would’ve looked more nuanced and mature I feel.

skategal

Bunny mama
I love the Rio FD but I’m not sure keeping it two years in a row was a good idea.

The impact and wow factor of it was lost after using it last season.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I would compare the Rio FD to the Lion King FD which did not make the Brits look juniorish at all. For me, it comes down to what this team projects. For him, there is something boyish in his appearance and he more often than not looks like he'd rather be somewhere else, a bit like a moody teenager. As for her, she is overacting everything a bit like an overdramatic teenager. Bottom line, their attitude does not project maturity. They need to step it up with the acting and interpretation coach. They have an excellent one at IAM with whom P/C were working.

Enchanted

I think the original acting coach with whom P/C used to work is not at I.AM anymore. Of course there might be someone new.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I figured L&L kept the FD because those
Costumes looked hella expensive.

I slightly kid. At the beginning of the season it seemed like a solid idea, but it didn't allow for the team to grow past their work. They're also, like, 10th in priority at I AM this year. Normally the coaches don't let that affect anything, but in am Olympic year....

Haven't Marjorie and Zac been with MF & Patrice forever? I expect them to get a lot more focus moving forward. Still, L&L need to decide to skate together and work on their partnership and artistry, chemistry and direction. Their Junior World-winning FD was special. They haven't touched that level since, and no coach is going to get them there unless they're willing to as well.

I can't talk about FB&S neutrally. They're just so good but totally biffed this year. I guess all Canadian teams (and skaters...) did, so at least domestically they're not so far behind. If they can tap into the energy that they had with their flamenco FD, I would be thrilled.

Two spots next year sounds awful for S&F, and yet the Canadian IAM teams are leaving them all sorts of open opportunities. Here's hoping for a bloodbath at Canadians next year.

Colonel Green

I look forward to that showing up on the ice then.
That’s always subjective, of course, but I don’t know how anyone could say they haven’t done a lot in terms of direction. Their senior career thus far has been a radical departure from anything they did previously in terms of style and he, especially, is a completely different performer now.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
That’s always subjective, of course, but I don’t know how anyone could say they haven’t done a lot in terms of direction. Their senior career thus far has been a radical departure from anything they did previously in terms of style and he, especially, is a completely different performer now.
Yes, Zac has improved. And yes, they've had as many stinkers as they've had interesting programs as seniors. still nothing special or memorable other than rio, and they still could be skating with woody the woodpecker for how they do not relate to each other on the ice. That has not kept pace with their other improvement.

I'm a big fan, don't get me wrong, but I'm trying to manage my expectations. Next year is critical without Skate Canada's love affair with Paul Poirier. I hope they knock it out the park, but I'm not confident they will based on their senior programs so far.

skategal

Bunny mama
I think whoever Canada number 1 team is at Nationals will automatically be in the top 7-8 at Worlds.

The judging system seems to accommodate that no matter what (and not just for Canada.) :shuffle:

So if that’s L/L, they will make a big move next season.

If it’s FB/S, they will move up just a couple of spots.

Then they will stall out there for a couple of years.

clairecloutier

Yes, Zac has improved. And yes, they've had as many stinkers as they've had interesting programs as seniors. still nothing special or memorable other than rio, and they still could be skating with woody the woodpecker for how they do not relate to each other on the ice. That has not kept pace with their other improvement.

I'm a big fan, don't get me wrong, but I'm trying to manage my expectations. Next year is critical without Skate Canada's love affair with Paul Poirier. I hope they knock it out the park, but I'm not confident they will based on their senior programs so far.

Due to COVID, L/L have only had 4 programs as seniors so far. All of them have been pretty high-tempo and, by design, haven’t really encouraged a lot of interaction between them. There’s been a strategy behind their choices, which they explained a little bit in my interview with them last week (https://adivinesport.com/2022/03/24/lajoie-lagha-we-want-to-do-a-good-performance-for-the-fans/). Perhaps we will see something different from them next season. They’re still really new to the senior scene (especially since they only competed a few times in 2020-21). Agree with @MarieM that they can work on more power and presence.

As far as their skating skills, they were good but need more power.
The ones who are underrated at this point IMO are Hawayek&Baker. I was impressed seeing them live at Montpellier.

I agree! H/B really fill out the ice beautifully, especially in their free dance. The opening one-foot step sequence is soooo good, the curves and ice coverage are huge.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

I think whoever Canada number 1 team is at Nationals will automatically be in the top 7-8 at Worlds.

The judging system seems to accommodate that no matter what (and not just for Canada.) :shuffle:

So if that’s L/L, they will make a big move next season.

If it’s FB/S, they will move up just a couple of spots.

Then they will stall out there for a couple of years.
Expected retirements alone would move Fournier Beaudry & Sorensen into that bracket (even aside from the fact that their placement this year reflects errors made).

deegee

As far as their skating skills, they were good but need more power.
The ones who are underrated at this point IMO are Hawayek&Baker. I was impressed seeing them live at Montpellier.
jesus. i finally got a chance to see their worlds free dance today. such beautifully quiet blades 🥺

p/c rightfully get accolades for seamlessly constructed programs, but this h/b program is up there with p/c's best in both brilliantly placed elements with unassuming transitions between AND masterful execution physically and emotionally.

i love these two and wouldn't mind a next quad with h/b, l/b, g/f consistently vying for podiums. p/c can stay, just not holding my breath and remaining grateful for the legacy they are already leaving behind.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

barbarafan

Don't really know, but both G&P & F-B/S seemed "off" this year. I'd guess that the Lagjoies will get more attention at AIM next season after some of the top Montreal teams retire so I'm expecting to see them on an upward trajectory in 2022-23.
F-b/s Nik had injuries which he had surgery for with long rehab....not sure how long he was off for but it was slow going on the rehab.

Dobre

A post somewhere this week said he was dealing with a back injury this year. I gathered, then, that it was a different injury that the one he had surgery for.

bcash

jesus. i finally got a chance to see their worlds free dance today. such beautifully quiet blades 🥺
So musical and a wonderful display of skating skills. His movement quality is top-class in the field. Their RD has a great groove as well. I don’t quite understand why they’ve been consistently underscored. Is it because of the unconventional height difference and her body line?

skatfan

I think maybe we should wait for the official announcement then. It seems like every time I hear discussion about what the RD will be in advance, it turns out to be wrong. The official announcement has to be coming out very soon, no?
It feels late - a lot of coaches/ choreographers need to be collecting music for their teams, especially IAM.

Bigbird

So musical and a wonderful display of skating skills. His movement quality is top-class in the field. Their RD has a great groove as well. I don’t quite understand why they’ve been consistently underscored. Is it because of the unconventional height difference and her body line?
Yes. Look at Sinitsina and Hubbell. If the latter had the former's body lines she would be the Olympic Silver medalist now. It just is what it is.

litenkyckling

Yes. Look at Sinitsina and Hubbell. If the latter had the former's body lines she would be the Olympic Silver medalist now. It just is what it is.
I think H/D would’ve been battling for the gold if judges let less “conventional” body lines win - the fact that they are such incredible skaters but are leaving the sport without a world title is honestly a travesty

Bigbird

I think H/D would’ve been battling for the gold if judges let less “conventional” body lines win - the fact that they are such incredible skaters but are leaving the sport without a world title is honestly a travesty
There's nothing to be done about it unfortunately. Krylova is so many miles away in Russia and she's still essentially body shaming her former student in the press.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information