The Dance Hall 9: Bring the Bling or No Beijing 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobre

Bobrova & Soloviev's FD in 2018 was one of my favorites of the season.

I have a strong memory of not particularly liking the FDs of any of the contenders during the early 2013-14 GP season. It took quite a while for the FDs to develop. I loved Cappellini & Lanotte's RD right off the bat though.

Just made it through the Nebelhorn FDs. No surprises among the 4 qualifying teams, though movement and some mistakes among them. Kudos to Turkkila & Versluis for the steadiest set of performances under pressure.

I thought it was a surprise that Ichilov and Abecassis placed so well in the RD, and I thought they did skate it well.

I'm quite happy to see Richard Kang-in Kam back in competitive ice dance.

Last edited:

mjb52

I liked the Irish dance! I didn't really think it was that Irish either. But if they were getting feedback that the judges wouldn't get it, then it's probably a good decision to change it.

clairecloutier

[QUOTE="Dobre, post: 6066098, member: 2895]

I thought it was a surprise that Ichilov and Abecassis placed so well in the RD, and I thought they did skate it well.
[/QUOTE]

I’ve seen Ichilov/Abecassis twice live this season (LPIDI, U.S. Classic), and have been favorably impressed by them. They are a nice team to watch. Nice look together & good programs IMO. Had not seen them before this year. (Have also seen Min/Eaton live twice and was not surprised by their drop in the FD at Nebelhorn. Unfortunately, that Les Miz program is a DUD.)

I have to go back and rewatch their Autumn Classic FD, but I am ?? at the idea of anyone having to “pull around” Caroline Green. C/G’s speed and power was the first thing I noticed about this team when seeing them live for the first time at 2019 Skate America.

Started catching up with the Russian test skate RDs last night and was LOL at the badness of it all ….

nuge

On the height subject again. The Georgia team .I loved their FD last season so was very interested to see them again. Watching the FD though the height difference bothered me a bit. Never noticed it last year for some reason :shuffle:

Dobre

I thought Min & Eaton had a real shot at fifth, just outside the qualification lineup, but that stationary lift certainly kaboshed it. (And on a rather regrettable lyric).

They weren't in a good political position anyway, without his having citizenship & needing to earn it; but mostly she took a detour in the climb up the competitive ladder by repartnering & then--as far as I remember--they did nothing last year. They need another 4 years as a team. Having said all that, the RD is cute and they could come along if she has any interest in continuing.

Dobre

Oh, I also wanted to add how much fun it was to watch Barbara with her young team here. Just thought it looked like good coaching to me. First Carolina looked all disappointed after the RD, and Barbara looked to be putting things in perspective, pointing out that for them, it was a good score. Then, what do you know, they pull up 3 spots in the FD--two overall--and wind up seriously happy. The K&C was a lot of fun to watch.

I thought Barbara had come a long way herself since the days of rapping people on the head with her knuckles while being squished in with Shpilband in the K&C;).

clairecloutier

Finished catching up with the Russian test skate dances. I think I enjoyed most the Kustarova students--S/A, Z/G. They seemed to be the ones who were really dancing and skating to their music, as opposed to posing sexily and checking off elements. Liked their flow and musicality. S/A have really come a long way the past few years.

Khudaiberdieva is a great skater and there is a lot of skill with her and Bazin, but the programs are kind of strange (esp. the RD) and there is no chemistry.

Morozov/Bagin's Scheherazade was a fun change from emo ballads.

Bigbird

Finished catching up with the Russian test skate dances. I think I enjoyed most the Kustarova students--S/A, Z/G. They seemed to be the ones who were really dancing and skating to their music, as opposed to posing sexily and checking off elements. Liked their flow and musicality. S/A have really come a long way the past few years.

Khudaiberdieva is a great skater and there is a lot of skill with her and Bazin, but the programs are kind of strange (esp. the RD) and there is no chemistry.

Morozov/Bagin's Scheherazade was a fun change from emo ballads.
Regarding S/A, Kiril really loves this vibe Anastasia looks very uncomfortable.

I absolutely did not get K/B. That RD is horrendous and the FD does not suit them. It is too cluttered and busy.

azcalder

I thought Min & Eaton had a real shot at fifth, just outside the qualification lineup, but that stationary lift certainly kaboshed it. (And on a rather regrettable lyric).

They weren't in a good political position anyway, without his having citizenship & needing to earn it; but mostly she took a detour in the climb up the competitive ladder by repartnering & then--as far as I remember--they did nothing last year. They need another 4 years as a team. Having said all that, the RD is cute and they could come along if she has any interest in continuing.
The reason they did nothing last year was due to injury. This quote from my interview with them at the LPIDI, "Yuri Min & Daniel Eaton (KOR) skated their first competition since the 2019 Four Continents in Korea because of Eaton’s back injury which occurred duing the 2019 pre-season. The team has only been back on the ice for seven months, so they didn’t even attempt to do Worlds in Sweden."

deegee

i wanted to take another look at hubbell and donohue's new fd just now but i can't find any vids... did they take them down?

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
The early challenger events have been so stacked they could almost pass for a GP (with some extra teams and a dodgy stream...) so I'm happy to see a return to the true challenger feel at the Denis Ten Memorial: lots of random and obscure teams, plus Khudaiberdieva! And the world champions, but who cares about them when you get Estonians attempting a split season, two semi-Kazakh teams who haven't competed for at least 20 months, a girl whose ice dance career is a sideline to her pharmacology PhD studies, and Julia Wagret's robe.

Bigbird

The early challenger events have been so stacked they could almost pass for a GP (with some extra teams and a dodgy stream...) so I'm happy to see a return to the true challenger feel at the Denis Ten Memorial: lots of random and obscure teams, plus Khudaiberdieva! And the world champions, but who cares about them when you get Estonians attempting a split season, two semi-Kazakh teams who haven't competed for at least 20 months, a girl whose ice dance career is a sideline to her pharmacology PhD studies, and Julia Wagret's robe.
Wow. Who is doing the PhD?

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting this news here from the Challenger Series thread in GSD:
Shira Ichilov & Laurent Abecassis (ISR) ... he is no longer skating. (According to Ichilov's Instagram post)
Her post yesterday: https://www.instagram.com/p/CUZ6S_xK3Od/
Hi everyone!
Laurent has decided to quit skating.
I will continue skating and I will be looking for suitable partner
I would like to say thank you for the last two years and wish Laurent the best of luck!
Thank you everyone for your support!
Shira

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
That's disappointing news; I thought they had the potential to move up after the inevitable post-Olympics clear out. But I suppose if they weren't looking to the same competitive horizon it's better that he called it quits now so she can start searching for a new partner and look to rebuild as soon as possible. I hope she can find a some who is a good match and in it for the long haul, since it seems like she is.

Pure speculation, but I wonder if this was not a total surprise to their team. It didn't seem the obvious choice for the Nosovitskiys to move up to senior this year, since there are no other Israeli junior teams this season and they still skate pretty young. But if Abecassis was only focused on Beijing and it was always on the cards that he would end his career if they didn't qualify, the Nosovitskiys decision to skate up starts to seem clearer.

Andrea82

ISU Questions and Answers # 1 added on September 29th

Q: What is the call when only one partner changes feet during an attempted Combination Spin and the other partner touches down without changing to the other skating foot?
A: The call is Combination Spin with touch down. All Basic Positions and Difficult Variations for the skater who changed feet are considered for level. Only the Basic Positions and Difficult Variations for the partner who does not change to the other foot are considered for level before the touch down and the reduction for touch down is applied.

Has this put out in response to the Flores/Tsarevski's calls?

Q: What is allowed per the following Illegal Element definition?
- lifting partner swinging the lifted partner around without the assistance of hand(s) /arm(s) and the lifted partner holds only with legs/feet around the lifting partner’s neck;
A: Per the picture and for season 2021/22, only swinging or holding by the feet is considered illegal during a lift.

Is this in response of Fabbri/Ayer's lift called at Lombardia? She holds by the legs.

coralline

Q: What is allowed per the following Illegal Element definition?
- lifting partner swinging the lifted partner around without the assistance of hand(s) /arm(s) and the lifted partner holds only with legs/feet around the lifting partner’s neck;
A: Per the picture and for season 2021/22, only swinging or holding by the feet is considered illegal during a lift.

Is this in response of Fabbri/Ayer's lift called at Lombardia? She holds by the legs.

I'm a little bit confused… Then is Flores/Tsarevski's RoLi in their RD an illegal element?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUfOt92thuz/?utm_medium=copy_link

https://youtu.be/u5E5ajLtStM

RoseRed

coralline

No, the first one about spins is about Flores/Tsarevski. F/T lost spin levels at their last JGP because they were going for a combination spin, but she didn't change to the other foot. The lift is fine, because he's not holding her by her feet.
Oh I understand now, she is using her legs not her feet. Thank you!

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
ISU Questions and Answers # 1 added on September 29th

Q: What is the call when only one partner changes feet during an attempted Combination Spin and the other partner touches down without changing to the other skating foot?
A: The call is Combination Spin with touch down. All Basic Positions and Difficult Variations for the skater who changed feet are considered for level. Only the Basic Positions and Difficult Variations for the partner who does not change to the other foot are considered for level before the touch down and the reduction for touch down is applied.

Has this put out in response to the Flores/Tsarevski's calls?
Wow, definitely about that call for Flores & Tsarevski.

I’m surprised that the technical panel is labeling something not meeting the definition for the element as the element. Usually, meeting the definition is a guiding principle for calling. This is a very surprising clarification/decision. The only way this makes sense to me is if they’re considering their spin as an “attempted” combination spin that they failed. She touched down, but didn’t spin on the other foot after a ”failed“ change of foot.

So, the new call would be CoSp1, same base points they got in Courcheval 2. They get credit for both of Tsarevski’s difficult positions, but both of Flores’ occurs after her touchdown, so the call is CoSp2, but a reduction of 1 level for the touchdown, so a final call of CoSp1. :lol:

Dobre

My mother really likes this junior RD by Eva Bernard & Tom Jochum. Posting it here because I know not everyone watches juniors. It is a. one of those rare programs that uses a single piece of music to fulfill all the requirements for an RD. And it is also b. a bit voidy, IMO.

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
My mother really likes this junior RD by Eva Bernard & Tom Jochum. Posting it here because I know not everyone watches juniors. It is a. one of those rare programs that uses a single piece of music to fulfill all the requirements for an RD. And it is also b. a bit voidy, IMO.

Aww, that's a really cute and zany RD. And I like their edges and how close they skate together. Thanks for pointing them out!

VGThuy

Aww, that's a really cute and zany RD. And I like their edges and how close they skate together. Thanks for pointing them out!
Like @Holy Headband, I'm going to thank you for pointing this team out, @Dobre. That's one of the best conceived and choreographed programs of the season.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Came across a 20 seconds snippet of Papadakis/Cizeron's FD and all I can say is that if accidents and injuries and clothing malfunctions are avoided Beijing should be a done deal for gold.

And Faure will become as much a warhorse as "Rain In Your Black Eyes" and "To Build A Home".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information