The Dance Hall 9: Bring the Bling or No Beijing 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeslek

I would have fear and Gibson bring back an old program for the Olympic season when there are going to be more viewers. Some of their old programs are cool I feel like it would do well for the casual Olympic viewer of ice dance to increase popularity

firstflight

Against this field, T/V managed to finish 4th in the FD! Their margin over L/L is “wow,” especially given that both programs were called to the same base value. And they got higher PCS than H/K (yes there was break in H/K’s performance). That’s back-to-back personal bests now for T/V in both phases of competition.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Sinitsina/Katsalapov, RD from RC #2
I mean it's alright, but not exactly groundbreaking is it?

Ka3sha

SinKats RD has grown on me since the test skates. I still hate the Joe Cocker part because of the music, but overall this seems to be a good fit for them. They hit all the music accents and actually use their body to show some nuances - something I would not definitely expect from them in this genre/style.
But agree, better bring that catsuit back and get a new t-shirt for Nikita

Bigbird

SinKats RD has grown on me since the test skates. I still hate the Joe Cocker part because of the music, but overall this seems to be a good fit for them. They hit all the music accents and actually use their body to show some nuances - something I would not definitely expect from them in this genre/style.
But agree, better bring that catsuit back and get a new t-shirt for Nikita
They seem to enjoy it and it works for them. Vika seems more convincing that Katsalapov. I find his poor posture distracting, but maybe that's why they chose the genre.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Sinitsina/Katsalapov, RD from RC #2
:lol: at the song lyrics playing while they wait for their marks.

I mean it's alright, but not exactly groundbreaking is it?

I mean nobody's RD is groundbreaking this year so I don't think that will hurt them. This is the second season now with hip hop/whatever with the blues RD themes and I think it's all rinse wash and repeat now. But still a lot of good and/or fun RDs to watch.

azcalder

Against this field, T/V managed to finish 4th in the FD! Their margin over L/L is “wow,” especially given that both programs were called to the same base value. And they got higher PCS than H/K (yes there was break in H/K’s performance). That’s back-to-back personal bests now for T/V in both phases of competition.
In late 2018, I did a Q&A for IDC with Juulia and Matthias. https://www.ice-dance.com/site/q-a-juulia-turkkila-matthias-versluis/
Note the last response. 
IDC: What goals have you set as a team? "Long-term goals are to compete at the Olympics and fight for top spots in the world. Less than four years later - they will be in Beijing. Great skating this season.

Dobre

Just finished the free dances from Finlandia.

Chock & Bates's FD:

I like it. We're seeing a whole lot of soft & flowy free dances, and this . . . is not that. The program lends itself to some more original lifts, which is something they do well, and the lifts fit the character of the music & the movement. It's a debut, of course, and it took me about 30 seconds to get past seeing him in that costume; but, yeah, I like it. Suits their dynamic just fine. It's not the first program we've seen in this genre, but it's a lot more rarely done than the other stuff we're seeing among the top teams. Anyway, yep, I like it.

Ka3sha

According to Zhulin, Sinitsina/Katsalapov withdrew from the FD, as Nikita had injured his back again during today’s practice and now “he can’t even put his socks on”. They will come back to Moscow and decide on the treatment and recovery

mjb52

Argh, they have such bad luck with injuries, hope Nikita gets better soon (but takes the time he needs also). Their RD was looking very sharp, I was super curious to see the changes to the Free. Well I can be patient (sometimes).

Last edited:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I hope this is SinKats’ last year. Between her recovery from long crud and his recurring injuries, I think they need a physically easier lifestyle. Russia has plenty of teams whose PCS will magically jump up as they ascend the ladder.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
According to Zhulin, Sinitsina/Katsalapov withdrew from the FD, as Nikita had injured his back again during today’s practice and now “he can’t even put his socks on”. They will come back to Moscow and decide on the treatment and recovery
I would say that puts their participation in next week's Denis Ten Memorial Challenger in doubt, which is a shame. Hopefully he will be well enough to compete by their first GP.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

Spanish Dancers Battle for Olympic Berth​

Spain has one ice dance berth at the 2022 Olympic Winter Games and two teams are vying for it.

In August, the Spanish skating federation advised Sara Hurtado and Kirill Khaliavin and Olivia Smart and Adrián Díaz that they must compete at the same three competitions — Finlandia Trophy, the national championships and the European Championships — and whichever team earns the highest combined score from those three events will get both the 2022 Olympic and World Championships berths.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

Spanish Dancers Battle for Olympic Berth​

Spain has one ice dance berth at the 2022 Olympic Winter Games and two teams are vying for it.

In August, the Spanish skating federation advised Sara Hurtado and Kirill Khaliavin and Olivia Smart and Adrián Díaz that they must compete at the same three competitions — Finlandia Trophy, the national championships and the European Championships — and whichever team earns the highest combined score from those three events will get both the 2022 Olympic and World Championships berths.
Well, the Finlandia results can't get much closer, so that leaves Spanish Nationals and Euros to make the decision, lol.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
I hope this is SinKats’ last year. Between her recovery from long crud and his recurring injuries, I think they need a physically easier lifestyle. Russia has plenty of teams whose PCS will magically jump up as they ascend the ladder.
Diana Davis waiting in the wings

but SinKats with bandages is doable, need to complete this Olympic season
plus he just needs to get a new RD shirt.

Bigbird

Diana Davis waiting in the wings

but SinKats with bandages is doable, need to complete this Olympic season
plus he just needs to get a new RD shirt.
Maybe he's wearing a brace or something for his back, hence the flowy shirt? The injury appears chronic based on past interviews.

MsZem

I see the sea
It looks like H/D plan on sticking with their very impressive, but very risky overhead lift for the rest of the season. This feels like a Stationary Lift Base moment just asking to happen, but they're taking the risk.
It's a stupid risk to take.

Years ago, before music with lyrics was allowed, Brian Joubert had an SP with vocals that sort of sounded like lyrics. No deductions... until Worlds, the biggest event in the calendar that season.

I hope H/D won't live to regret this.

MsZem

I see the sea
IMO it would be stupid to take it out because you don't want to risk it. They need it and they know it. Kudos to them for having the guts to try something different.
Something different within the rules = good risk. Something different that's basically a pair lift = pointless risk. They could have worked on something challenging that didn't carry this sort of risk.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Something different within the rules = good risk. Something different that's basically a pair lift = pointless risk. They could have worked on something challenging that didn't carry this sort of risk.

To me Olympics are about risk not playing it safe. Go for it and Maddie and Zachary

Playing it safe didn’t do it for Michelle and some others. Risktakers like Tara and Sarah Hughes with multiple triple triples are usually what can make an Olympic gold medal happen

I’m sure them and their coaches have done extensive research to make sure it’s not a banned lift. So I’m happy they’re doing it

sap5

I agree. Was it really impossible for them to come up with a new lift that didn't carry this type of risk? Where are those Cirque de Soleil acrobats when you need them?

OTOH, they certainly know what it feels like to get a base call at an important event, and what it feels like to just miss the podium at the Olympics. If they're fine with both those feelings, then ok.

Peepsquick

To me Olympics are about risk not playing it safe. Go for it and Maddie and Zachary

Playing it safe did nothing for Michelle and some others. Risktakers like Tara and Sarah Hughes with multiple triple triples are usually what can make an Olympic gold medal happen

I’m sure them and their coaches have done extensive research to make sure it’s not a banned lift. So I’m happy they’re doing it
Really? ... I would have said that most people will avoid unnecessary risks at the OG, like it or not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information