The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

nimi

Wow. 3rd place for P&C from the RUS and UKR judges. RUS judge put STEPANOVA 6 points ahead of P&C. What a day. :drama:

Edit: The knives from the GPF are still out. P&C need to be careful!
So here we had judges from the following countries (the ones who put S/K 1st are in bold):
ESP, EST, FIN, HUN, GBR, ITA, POL, RUS, UKR

At Worlds, the dance panels will be drawn from these countries:
CAN, CHN, FIN, FRA, GBR, JPN, LTU, POL, RUS, ESP, SUI, UKR, USA

GSD thread about judges draw: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...er-country-for-isu-championships-2020.106272/)

mjb52

interesting that sin/kats were able to win free but not rd, where they had a 6/3 margin. French judge had p/c six points higher there in huge outlier from other judges while rus was just 1.5 in favor of sin/kats or so.

Katha

Wow.:drama:

Erm, I still think P/C are clear faves for Worlds (that it's also in Montreal will be in their favor). IMO they just seemed slightly off in both portions here and since that FD seems to be somewhat controversial...yeah, they're making themselves vulnerable, since the RD is seldom their strength anyway. Also, apparently there was discussion because the tech panel wanted to call one of their elements illegal in the FD and they'd have ended up with 65p in TES if Blumberg had her way or something. So perhaps look at the construction of that program again? I really think they lost here through their own weaknesses, them coming out full force woul have had no problem.

That said, SinKats had one hell of a competition. That RD is very, very good now. Really crisp and smooth. Also: That costume change for Nikita was a goooood idea. It looks much freer and casual now, the old one added heaviness. In an unpopular opinion, I like that FD. That music is not easy. They make it flow very well and at this point it also has some much needed tension in the performance. It's not reinventing the wheel or anything, but it's a strong effort. And I do think judges that are slightly bewildered by P/C's program drift towards it because it seems like something more classical/streamlined.

StepBukin absolutely deserved their medal IMO. Great FD performance, though I don't like their RD. The FD really plays to their strengths without being gimmicky, it's perhaps the first program of theirs I really love. Wasn't convinced by G/F's FD, though. Fear/Gibson were fun. And I thought both Spanish teams were great. I think the competition between them actually spurns both of them on to get constantly better.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
I suppose now French Fed and Gadbois camp will go politicking even harder than usual. American and Canadian Fed may join them as well since this result diminishes their teams' chances at Worlds medal. And then of course Russian Fed, Zhulin etc. will politick back.

So I'm not sure how teams will perform at Worlds but I'm sure we will see a back-and-forth politicking war reaching its apex.

(I'm also sure G/F will get dumped again.)

heartyxo

I think the world podium will be P/C S/K C/B in some order. No idea what yet because comparing scores from different competitions doesn't really help anything. I hope C/B can get at least silver though, that FD is stellar and their RD seems like its improving over the season, which is a good sign.

There's not gonna be a Gadbois sweep, even if it is in Montreal. I don't know if I can see S/K winning though. It's still P/C's to lose.

Ka3sha

who the hell are spain gonna send to worlds?!
And when will they come up with criteria or something to determine the team?

I feel sorry for both teams. I vastly prefer Sara/Kirill (mostly because of Sara and his skating skills), but also have had a soft spot for Adria for a long time.. and they usually have great entertaining programs. Both teams are very solid and interesting to watch, it's such a pity they can't have two spots at Worlds, because they certainly deserve it.

twinklestar

I think the world podium will be P/C S/K C/B in some order. No idea what yet because comparing scores from different competitions doesn't really help anything. I hope C/B can get at least silver though, that FD is stellar and their RD seems like its improving over the season, which is a good sign.

There's not gonna be a Gadbois sweep, even if it is in Montreal. I don't know if I can see S/K winning though. It's still P/C's to lose.
No, I think there will be Gilles/Poirier on the podium.

Debbie S

There will likely be 1 N.A. team on the podium. Based on the GPF scoring, I would say the USA teams have the advantage, but we shall see.

RoseRed

And when will they come up with criteria or something to determine the team?

I feel sorry for both teams. I vastly prefer Sara/Kirill (mostly because of Sara and his skating skills), but also have had a soft spot for Adria for a long time.. and they usually have great entertaining programs. Both teams are very solid and interesting to watch, it's such a pity they can't have two spots at Worlds, because they certainly deserve it.
Exactly. It was fine last year, because H/K won Nats and placed better at Euros. But this year S/D won Nats (by 5+ points). So do they value Euros more (H/K), Nats more (S/D) or the results combined (would be S/D if they added the scores)?

starrynight

P/C are going to be in the same fix as H/D if they don’t rethink their programs, especially the FD. I find this year’s so pretentious and unmusical, and even demigods can be toppled.

P/C are in the position where for many, the idea of them losing has become more interesting and newsworthy than the idea of them winning. Once that happens to an ice dance team, they need to watch out.

Hubbell/Donohue have just been though the beginning and end of that phase much faster.

I'm just pleased that we finally have a rivalry where both teams don't train together - first time in about a decade. It's been a decade since gold vs silver has actually been politicked from different coaching groups who have no issues openly exploiting the others' weakness. Bring it on.

VGThuy

P/C are in the position where for many, the idea of them losing has become more interesting and newsworthy than the idea of them winning. Once that happens to an ice dance team, they need to watch out.

Hubbell/Donohue have just been though the beginning and end of that phase much faster.

I'm just pleased that we finally have a rivalry where both teams don't train together - first time in about a decade. It's been a decade since gold vs silver has actually been politicked from different coaching groups who have no issues openly exploiting the others' weakness. Bring it on.

That is probably one thing that made the American fight for the top so interesting last Olympic cycle. They came from three different coaching bases as well and H/B were from a fourth and we saw a steady rise of Wheaton.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Damn it, Ice Dance. When I want drama and excitement, P&C steamroll the field with meh-to-questionable programs (last year, misc SD/RDs, Moonlight Sonata if I'm honest...). But when I'm over the moon for their programs, it's a strug-gle to the end. We need to get this timing in alignment... ;)

I think this is the safest bet, all teams competing at their best (or at least 90%). It's the audience-friendly bet, too, because...

No, I think there will be Gilles/Poirier on the podium.

TBH, I don't know how attached a Montreal audience is to G&P. That's not to be snarky-- I simply wouldn't assume Montreal is going to respond like other Canadian audiences for every skater regardless-- I also mean that as reverently to La Belle Province as possible. I COULD see S&K imploding under pressure with potential to win on the line. And THEN I could see G&P on the podium, performances-dependent.

All that said, Piper and Paul have two great programs this year that could place well regardless. They've brought so much more flow to their skating these last three years.

Snip fabulous, brilliant post

I agree with damn near all of this-- especially G&F's FD. I thought it was good early on, but it somehow gets lost in a sea of really interesting and dynamic work this year. Maybe it's his injury, maybe I have high expectations, etc.

Meanwhile, I keep saying S&K aren't my bag, but I admit I find them eminently engaging this year. They just hit a certain stride in their skating + performance, where even the blah programs are watchable. They're wearing me down, BUT I still don't trust it as sustainable, and their FD still borders on forgettable. I do appreciate that they've taken a page from P&C by nailing down a style they can deliver better than anyone else currently. I'm still bummed to see them pull further and further away from S&B, who I just love and don't feel are really behind S&K, all things considered...

I'm really surprised P&C's programs are so controversial-- I think BOTH are inspired, particularly the FD! Maybe it's too esoteric in places, too much pantomime-dancing, yet still it's packed with so much brilliance that draws you in-- the straight-line lift! Side-by-side FW! The spin! The hydroblading at the end! 🤩 Tweak the ending I guess, but... I think the real issue is their programs shouldn't still be this tough to get through. At this point in the season, it shouldn't be so full of missteps. I hope they get that figured out before panicking.

There's probably a good amount of Gadbois/IAM push-back, and I don't think that's a bad thing either. If they're made of tough enough stuff, they'll survive/thrive. I'd put my money on that, but try to enjoy Zhulin's resurgence in the meantime.

I guess this is life when you're not as attached to top-tier skaters and can at least appreciate the gamesmanship?

starrynight

weak the ending I guess, but... I think the real issue is their programs shouldn't still be this tough to get through. At this point in the season, it shouldn't be so full of missteps. I hope they get that figured out before panicking.

Maybe a loss will give them motivation to train. It must be really challenging to keep turning up to training without there being a fight in your mind for goals.

Noticed this. It's quite funny. S/K look like they are surrounded by back up dancers, as P/C and S/B seem to have matching costumes.

Last edited:

Gris

不做奴才做公民

According to the link above in the interview they didn’t comment on the judging and even joked that silver fits their costumes. As long as the translation is accurate I don’t think they’re trying to make any statement here.

starrynight

Cizeron posted an instagram story questioning the judging at Euros, so I doubt they are totally uncaring about results.

But neither should they. They are athletes and they do care about winning.

twinklestar

I don't think there will be any Russians on the podium at Worlds. I would say, the French, an American couple, and Gilles/Poirier or a Canadian couple. I don't know the order. Maybe that's why Sinitsina and Katsalapov got the gold at the Europeans.

heartyxo

My dream podium would be P/C C/B G/P but I'd be shocked if S/K didn't medal. I think C/B are the best bets for the 3rd podium spot for now, especially if they win tonight and they win 4CC. H/D losing the RD last night is not a good sign for them because that's supposed to be their strength and C/B's weakness.
I hope G/P make top 5 at least, that'll keep 3 spots if Laurence and Nik are back.

dancing_on_ice

Is it too much to hope that C/B finish above S/K at Worlds this year? S/K got that huge score in the free dance today when their routine is so... so... boring. C/B has such an interesting and compelling free dance, and Worlds is in Montreal, their home base, and while the judging at Europeans is very favorable for Russians, the judging at Worlds is less so. If C/B wins Nationals tonight and then wins 4CC (which is certainly feasible), I think they can challenge S/K since they have such a good free dance. And hey, P/C are looking vulnerable too.

C/B 2020 World Champions? A girl can dream...

heartyxo

Is it too much to hope that C/B finish above S/K at Worlds this year? S/K got that huge score in the free dance today when their routine is so... so... boring. C/B has such an interesting and compelling free dance, and Worlds is in Montreal, their home base, and while the judging at Europeans is very favorable for Russians, the judging at Worlds is less so. If C/B wins Nationals tonight and then wins 4CC (which is certainly feasible), I think they can challenge S/K since they have such a good free dance. And hey, P/C are looking vulnerable too.

They are definitely my favorite current team, so I will join you there :cheer2: at least silver/ahead of S/K would be an absolute dream :love:

and they have the best FD of the year in terms of what an FD is supposed to do, so...

I❤️Marina&Sergai

My dream podium would be P/C C/B G/P but I'd be shocked if S/K didn't medal. I think C/B are the best bets for the 3rd podium spot for now, especially if they win tonight and they win 4CC. H/D losing the RD last night is not a good sign for them because that's supposed to be their strength and C/B's weakness.
I hope G/P make top 5 at least, that'll keep 3 spots if Laurence and Nik are back.
I would

I❤️Marina&Sergai

I am having some serious mishaps with my posts here. But wanted to say P/C, C/B and G/P or S/B would be my favourite podium at worlds. After today I can’t really see S/K not medaling at Worlds both at last years worlds and here the judges have shown that if they go clean they’ll reward them and the Russian Fed will back them all the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information