The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debbie S

The step sequences were invalidated b/c they were too short. As someone posted in the event thread, the sequence needs to go end to end along the short axis and their sequences were started too far away (more than 10 meters) from the barrier. It's a relatively easy fix, skaters tweak their choreo throughout the season.

barbarafan

The step sequences were invalidated b/c they were too short. As someone posted in the event thread, the sequence needs to go end to end along the short axis and their sequences were started too far away (more than 10 meters) from the barrier. It's a relatively easy fix, skaters tweak their choreo throughout the season.
Thank-you so much.....I can see changes to most of Gaddbois teams in that respect in the next few weeks.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
And just to clarify, that 10 meters short can be found by adding up how short they are at the beginning AND end. In C&B’s case, they were mostly short from where they started, but were slightly short at the end of the short axis as well.

Another poster also brought up that Finlandia was an Olympic size rink, while US Classic was an NHL size rink. Olympic rinks are 3 meters wider, which is also 3 more meters that teams can end up short if they aren’t preparing for events with Olympic size rinks.

Amantide

I just watched P&C programs. Here are my thoughts, based only on a first impression.

Short Dance: I don't really know how I feel about it. I need a bit more time with that one, but I think is an original idea. Rhythm Is a Dancer and they certainly give me that vibe with their SD. I wish they could change their usual sitting lift in the SD though. I don't think it suits the music very much, and it's rather too much same ole, same ole.

Free Dance: I loved it. As usual with these two, this is ArtDance. :love:
I love the music, love the choreo, love their skating and interpretation.
I hate the voice over though. Well, "hate" is a bit strong but I was like "meh...". Not because it's ugly, or not "suitable", so to speak. But because it feels like it's trying to explain the "theme", and what's going on in that program. It's like a redundant explanation, at least for me. I don't need an explanatory for everything, even if I don't fully understand it. I just want to watch something beautiful and feel whatever it makes me feel.

Having said that, watching them skate is yummy. I always feel the need to eat a tiramisù, because it's creamy and delicious like their skating.:swoon:

Bigbird

Girl, Amantide, where have you been? When I first watched the RD I did not know what to think same for the FD. Then I watched again and got them both. They are in a class by themselves. We can't even fully apreciate the RD in particular yet because RH said it was very raw and the camera angles were not the best. This RD is going to be a standout, nobody comes close. Really am excited to see it on the GP circuit :)

RoseRed

I knew I was going to love P/C's RD as soon as I watched it, even though the French Master's performance doesn't seem like a finished version. So much fun. I do think costumes will add a lot to it, as well.

I wasn't sure about the FD on first viewing, but I watched it again over Thanksgiving to show my dad, and I've decided I love it. My dad and I both feel that although the poem is nothing special (I'd probably call it bad just reading the words) on its own, it really works with their skating and the music added makes the whole thing very effective. Their movement and choreo to it is very cool, it's super artsy and French is a good way. No other team could do this program like they do it. And for me, it's certainly different enough from what they've done in the past to be interesting. And this one doesn't even need costumes - it's perfect just in black. Probably my favourite program of theirs already.

I'm really looking forward to seeing these programs grow over the course of the season, especially the FD since it's already so stunning.

laviemn

Since the odds they cut the poem from the FD are probably close to zero because they choreographed the movement to the words, a lot of issues could be solved by hiring an actor to interpret the poem. For me, Forest Blakk's performance is a bigger problem than the quality of the poem. You know how James Earl Jones can make ad copy for an insurance company sound important and emotional? It could do wonders, maybe even for people who think the poem is terrible.

Guillaume said he wants to make the moment when they look at each for the first time in the program more emphatic, but they have to work against the monotone, nonchalant, unnuanced delivery of "Here we are" by the poet. Just having someone who knows how to modulate his voice for emphasis would do half the work for them. And if they worked with an actor, they could discuss their intentions with the choreo which would inform the actor's choices and create a recording that would be harmonious with the choreo.

Anyway, I think I'll love this FD later in the season, already love the RD in its rough state, but between Guillaume's choice of this poem, the flirtation with Starmania for the RD, Marie-France's fondness for Michael Buble, and Romain dusting off an effing Meatloaf song from his Zazoui days for Chen/Sun, maybe Team PapCiz might try giving Gabriella a turn at music selection next season.

RoseRed

Since the odds they cut the poem from the FD are probably close to zero because they choreographed the movement to the words, a lot of issues could be solved by hiring an actor to interpret the poem. For me, Forest Blakk's performance is a bigger problem than the quality of the poem. You know how James Earl Jones can make ad copy for an insurance company sound important and emotional? It could do wonders, maybe even for people who think the poem is terrible.

Guillaume said he wants to make the moment when they look at each for the first time in the program more emphatic, but they have to work against the monotone, nonchalant, unnuanced delivery of "Here we are" by the poet. Just having someone who knows how to modulate his voice for emphasis would do half the work for them. And if they worked with an actor, they could discuss their intentions with the choreo which would inform the actor's choices and create a recording that would be harmonious with the choreo.

Anyway, I think I'll love this FD later in the season, already love the RD in its rough state, but between Guillaume's choice of this poem, the flirtation with Starmania for the RD, Marie-France's fondness for Michael Buble, and Romain dusting off an effing Meatloaf song from his Zazoui days for Chen/Sun, maybe Team PapCiz might try giving Gabriella a turn at music selection next season.
He also choreographs for D'Alessandro/Waddell and their FD is I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That) by Meatloaf.

Amantide

Girl, Amantide, where have you been? When I first watched the RD I did not know what to think same for the FD. Then I watched again and got them both. They are in a class by themselves. We can't even fully apreciate the RD in particular yet because RH said it was very raw and the camera angles were not the best. This RD is going to be a standout, nobody comes close. Really am excited to see it on the GP circuit :)

Hey there. :40beers:
Just busy with work, and I opened a new channel on Bitchute and I'm uploading everything I have on Figure Skating. It appears that the long arm of copyright has't arrived there yet, so Ima is taking advantage as long as it lasts. lol

I think I like the RD as well. I immediately thought this is different. As I mentioned, it is original, new and fun. I just think I need to watch it again. In competition and with costumes as well, I'm sure it will be even better. But yeah, these two are in league of their own. Just gorgeous.

I also watched C&B free dance. I think this is their best program. They just need more speed and drama (looking at you Bates).

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Isn't Romain the one who suggested Romeo & Juliet to H/D last year? This was way worse than Meatloaf for Chen / Sun.

Plus I wonder which Gadbois coach is responsible for Wang / Liu's Black Swan FD. Such a mismatch...

Peepsquick

There are different schools, when it comes to reading poems and the monotone is one of them. It doesn't bother me at all as background. P/C's subtle art will make this piece whole, like a painter would do on a blank canvas ... . THEY will put the emotion in it imho.

laviemn

@laviemn It wouldn’t surprise me if it was Gabriella who chose Blakk’s poem. She seems to be into Instagram poems. :)

I think I read that Guillaume chose all the pieces for the FD? Maybe I'm misremembering and he only chose the Arnalds pieces, in which case I exclude him from my music selection related angst.

I think the Black Swan choice for Wang/Liu is a good one in part because it is a mismatch. They're forced to concentrate on improving their lines and glide, and they're learning to skate up to big, dramatic music.

Last edited:

Enchanted

I’ve only read that Guillaume chose the Arnalds pieces but nothing about the poem. Of course, it’s possible he chose it but I don’t remember reading about it.

The poem doesn’t really bother me. Obviously, it’s not the greatest poem ever written but I’ve been surprised by the negativity. I think it’s fine. I like the mood it creates. Granted English is not my native language, so maybe the natives see it differently or I’m missing something. :)

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I read it was Marie France who talked to them about Blakk and indeed Guillaume picked Olafur but it's the third time they're skating on his music first for their senior debut Woodkid FD then for Oddudua and now this year.
I do appreciate how Gadbois is trying to give more diverse music and program style this year. Between the S/D, C/B, P/C or H/B one can't say they aren't trying to branch out. It's very hit and miss but I still appreciate the effort.

Bigbird

Hey there. :40beers:
Just busy with work, and I opened a new channel on Bitchute and I'm uploading everything I have on Figure Skating. It appears that the long arm of copyright has't arrived there yet, so Ima is taking advantage as long as it lasts. lol

I think I like the RD as well. I immediately thought this is different. As I mentioned, it is original, new and fun. I just think I need to watch it again. In competition and with costumes as well, I'm sure it will be even better. But yeah, these two are in league of their own. Just gorgeous.

I also watched C&B free dance. I think this is their best program. They just need more speed and drama (looking at you Bates).

Exactly my thoughts. Comes across as too campy. Speed and drama please. They needed to put in "The Feeling Begins", to give it a bit more drive or something. But it has potential......

Bigbird

I read it was Marie France who talked to them about Blakk and indeed Guillaume picked Olafur but it's the third time they're skating on his music first for their senior debut Woodkid FD then for Oddudua and now this year.
I do appreciate how Gadbois is trying to give more diverse music and program style this year. Between the S/D, C/B, P/C or H/B one can't say they aren't trying to branch out. It's very hit and miss but I still appreciate the effort.

I liked everything but I had hoped that S/D would have grown into their FD more, it still looks messy when it actually shouldn't.

Bigbird

Isn't Romain the one who suggested Romeo & Juliet to H/D last year? This was way worse than Meatloaf for Chen / Sun.

Plus I wonder which Gadbois coach is responsible for Wang / Liu's Black Swan FD. Such a mismatch...
I love it. Funny eh?...

SherryL

ISU Communication No. 2239 states that for Choreographic Character Step Sequence that it: “Must be placed around the Short Axis (within 10 meters on either side of the Short Axis) and must proceed from barrier to barrier.”

I don’t think the “10 meters” is from the barrier, but from the middle of the rink (where the red line across the center is). Thus, the Choreographic Character Step Sequence has to be near the middle of the rink (within 10 meters). Then, the step sequence itself needs to be from “barrier to barrier.”

Dobre

I never read here that Romain suggested it.

I read that he "signed off" on it (which to me implies that H&D selected the music & he gave the project a thumbs up).

I don't follow the fan thread, however, or read many of Hubbell & Donohue's interviews so I'm sure fans who do can post more knowledgeably on this topic. Also, the post I read here about Romain even being the coach to sign off on the project was not cited by a source. Why would only one coach sign off on a project anyway? 🤷‍♀️ A team is a team, no?

Gris

不做奴才做公民
I never read here that Romain suggested it.

I read that he "signed off" on it (which to me implies that H&D selected the music & he gave the project a thumbs up).

I don't follow the fan thread, however, or read many of Hubbell & Donohue's interviews so I'm sure fans who do can post more knowledgeably on this topic. Also, the post I read here about Romain even being the coach to sign off on the project was not cited by a source. Why would only one coach sign off on a project anyway? 🤷‍♀️ A team is a team, no?

"We've never portrayed a well-known story, so for us to have that opportunity, that's something new for us that we've always wanted to do," Donohue reflected.

"Madi always loved this song, and it was our coach, Romain (Haguenauer), who said, 'Why not Romeo and Juliet?'"

I remember this because I've seen some... conspiracy theory on stan twitter mocking H/D, saying that Romain suggested R&J to sabotage them. :duh:

Last edited:

bcash

@laviemn It wouldn’t surprise me if it was Gabriella who chose Blakk’s poem. She seems to be into Instagram poems. :)

IIRC, Guillaume picked the Blakk piece. And he's been promoting it quite a lot on his IG. To my eyes Guillaume is the one who's much more into the "inspirational" IG quotes type of things.

Ka3sha

Stepanova/Bukin’s ISU profile has been updated:
Music Rhythm Dance as of season 2019/2020
Quickstep: Sparkling Diamonds (from "Moulin Rouge" soundtrack) performed by Nicole Kidman
Blues: Your Song (from "Moulin Rouge" soundtrack) performed by Ewan McGregor

Music Free Skating / Free Dance as of season 2019/2020
Primavera by Ludovico Einaudi
Cry Me a River performed by Justin Timberlake

Einaudi and Timberlake... well, that’s interesting :shuffle:

bcash

There are different schools, when it comes to reading poems and the monotone is one of them. It doesn't bother me at all as background. P/C's subtle art will make this piece whole, like a painter would do on a blank canvas ... . THEY will put the emotion in it imho.

Things is, It's not the background, at least not in the version they debuted at Masters. It's firmly in the foreground. Maybe it was because the footage from French Masters was low quality and camera angle far away while the audio was loud and clear.

Before they unveiled it, based on what MFD and RH had said to the press, I was expecting something much more experimental. "Skating to the rhythm of a text, not a melody, etc". I expected them to at least bend and stretch and cut up the voice-over somewhat, and blend it in with instrumental music, but what I heard was just a simple overlay of the Blakk piece, in equal volume as the instrumental, which felt gimmicky at worst, "precious" at best.

What I appreciate the most about their past programs is their power to "suggest" meanings and imagery, and emotions, through musicality and movement, which really set them apart from the rest. But with some of the choreo in this program, they are actually "illustrating" and "depicting" the words (in a not very good poem) which I find to be a step backward.

Last edited:

twinklestar

We never never see Romain in the KandC with Hubbell/Donohue, always Lauzon, or Dubreuil/Lauzon. I thought they were working with Lauzon and Dubreuil, not Romain.

Icandance

Things is, It's not the background, at least not in the version they debuted at Maters. It's firmly in the foreground. Maybe it was because the footage from French Masters was low quality and camera angle far away yet the audio was loud and clear.

Before they unveiled it, based on what MFD and RH had said to the press, I was expecting something much more experimental. "Skating to the rhythm of a text, not a melody, etc". I expected them to at least bend and stretch and cut up the voice-over somewhat, and blend it in with instrumental music, but what I heard was just a simple overlay of the Blakk piece, in equal volume as the instrumental, which felt gimmicky at worst, "precious" at best.

What I appreciate the most about their past programs is their power to "suggest" meanings and imagery, and emotions, through musicality and movement, which really set them apart from the rest. But with some of the choreo in this program, they are actually "illustrating" and "depicting" the words (in a not very good poem) which I find to be a step backward.
I agree. This Free Dance does not engage the audience.

twinklestar

I remember this because I've seen some... conspiracy theory on stan twitter mocking H/D, saying that Romain suggested R&J to sabotage them. :duh:
And assuming it's true, who would it benefit? Chock/Bates? Of course it's not P/C since H/D are behind them.
You know what, this is ridiculous. Sabotage stuff is usually about the leader, the number 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information