The Dance Hall 6: We're All Off Our Rockers 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

alain06fr

I have a feeling you wouldn't have complained if it had happened to P/C. The scoring in the team event was a lot tighter and different than the individual event. Almost everyone's scores went up from the team event to the individual by some points. Same thing would have happened to P/C had they competed.

Yeah.... by “some points” why not but certainly not by 8 pts (eight points!) which doesn’t make sense at all for - once again - two comparable performances judged within a week (!) by the exact same judge panel!

This is history now so I guess people can at least simply understand there’s something wrong somewhere.

VGThuy

Yeah, ice dance judging is wonky. We all knew that. However, some teams benefit way more with that wonkiness than others. But tides change. Wasn't the main difference in scoring for V/M (and the Shibs) was less about PCS and GOE and more about base value from the tech panel? Even if you think there's something wrong with the discrepancy between scores, that doesn't mean V/M scores in the individual final was wrong. You can argue it was the team event scores (calling) that were off.

Last edited:

mollymgr

"Se planter" dans le langage populaire français, ce n'est pas nécessairement le faire de façon spectaculaire. C'est juste commettre une erreur. Définition du Larousse : "faire une erreur, se tromper, essuyer un échec." Comme l'a dit Viscaro, si tu as vraiment tout foiré, tu dis que tu t'es "planté/e complètement". I agree Gabriella was being facetious and flippant, she certainly never wished V/M an epic fail. Sportmanship-wise, as a former competitor, I'm not ultra-fan of what she said, but denying this is something that goes through competitors' mind once in a while would be ridiculous. It's just human. And there is a huge difference between thinking "shit, they aren't making any mistakes that could turn to our advantage" and wishing "please please pretty please let's them have a splatfest". People on Twitter are reacting like if Gabriella was a vicious witch who laments that her lethal curse and poison failed killing her contenders. Seriously ?
People on twitter are the worst.:yikes::scream: Just the age of social media..we saw how quickly it turned into something really ugly at Worlds with Eunsoo and Mariah.:wall: I don't know what it is about twitter but it tends to really turn bad very quickly. My only hope is that skaters develop a thick skin and not be bothered by it.

alain06fr

You can argue it was the team event scores (calling) that were off.

No... simply because their team event “performance versus score” was in sync with all their previous “performance versus score” since the beginning of that season. Their “performance versus score” at the individual event is a huge and incoherent gap...

VGThuy

But not all performances are the same in a season. We all know V/M's FD changed dramatically by the Olympics. This could have been a natural build-up as well. We've seen score increases from the GP to Worlds/Olympics often. It even happens in singles once a newcomer consistently hits throughout a season and does something to make them stand out. Their PCS jumps big time.

Again, it wasn't the PCS that was different between the Team Event and individual for V/M, but the calling. And maybe V/M were simply more on point to get the higher BV in the individual.

Last edited:

kittysk8ts

Yeah, ice dance judging is wonky. We all knew that. However, some teams benefit way more with that wonkiness than others. But tides change. Wasn't the main difference in scoring for V/M (and the Shibs) was less about PCS and GOE and more about base value from the tech panel? Even if you think there's something wrong with the discrepancy between scores, that doesn't mean V/M scores in the individual final was wrong. You can argue it was the team event scores (calling) that were off.
And I in fact do argue that. God, I remember watching V/M TE SD and the tech boxes were lighting up yellow and one of them was even white at first. I was shitting a brick, lol. It was the same for all the teams, as I recall it.

Anyhoo, I’ve likely said enough on this subject. ;)

Tinami Amori

Wow, your French is really not that good, if THAT is what you understood.

My french sucks.... But not bad enough to read the obvious. Let's see if you can translate differently, so that this team does not sound bitter, entitled and poor-sport...;)

==== V/M return to competition.
G-ELLE : Bon. C’est sûr qu’on n’était pas ravis. Non seulement ils revenaient à la compétition, mais ils allaient débarquer dans notre école et travailler avec nos entraîneurs.

G-ELLE: Well. Certainly we were not thrilled. Not only they returned to competition, but to our school, to train with our trainers.

==== feelings about V/M at the same rink. dislike to "share a trainer" that is common at every top trainer's group.
G-ELLE: L’ambiance n’a plus jamais été la même. Impossible de côtoyer ses rivaux, chaque jour, sans que ça bouscule un peu la routine.
Nous devions maintenant partager nos entraîneurs. On avait un peu l’habitude de se fier à eux, sans trop réfléchir. Alors que dans la mentalité nord-américaine, c’est différent.

G-ELLE: The atmosphere (environment) was never the same. It is impossible to rub shoulders with your rivals every day, without some negative affect on your routine.
We now had to share our trainers. We had an unquestionable trust in them. Although in North America the mentality is totally different.

==== saying that when V/M came to the rink they spoiled the "good vibes".
Ce qui a été difficile, c’est qu’avant leur arrivée, il n’y avait aucun stress à l’aréna. C’était un peu comme une famille. On était tous amis et coéquipiers. Puis, Tessa et Scott sont arrivés et tout a changé.

The difficult part was that before their arrival there was no stress at the rink. It was somewhat like it’s a family. We were all friends and team mates. Then Tessa and Scott arrived and everything changed.

==== wishing V/M to flop/mess up.
G-ELLE: Je me souviens que je regardais leurs éléments un à un. Et chaque élément, on avait envie qu’ils se plantent, et ils ne se plantaient jamais. C’était : « Merde, ils ne se sont pas plantés sur celui-là, merde. Merde. Merde. » Ils ne se sont jamais plantés, finalement. C’était de bonne guerre d’espérer. On ne leur voulait pas de mal, mais on pensait à nous.

G-ELLE: I remember I was watching their elements, one by one. And with every element we wanted them to flop, and they flopped. So it was like “Shit, they did not flop on this one, shit. Shit. Shit”. In the end, they never flopped. It was a good effort at wishful thinking. It’s not that we wished them ill, we were just looking out for ourselves.

==== feeling their loss is unfair.
G-l-me: Un sentiment d’injustice. Et là, les questions commencent dans ta tête: Pourquoi? Pourquoi c’est arrivé?

G-l-me: It felt unfair. And then the questions pop into your head: Why? Why did it come to this?

==== comments about “conspiracy theories of their loss, questioning panel of judges, and scores.
G-ELLE: C’était même difficile de ne pas y croire. Quand tes idées ne sont pas claires, et qu’on te rabâche sans cesse de théories de complot et de machins du genre.

La robe,
la composition du panel de juges que certains remettaient en question, le fait qu’ils ont eu beaucoup plus de points que dans la compétition par équipe pour les mêmes programmes.

G-ELLE: It was difficult not to believe in them. When your thoughts are not clear, and you’re constantly spinning conspiracy theories and stuff like that.

The dress, the configuration of the judges’ panel which some questioned, the fact that they (V/M) received a lot more points now for the same programme than in the team event.
====

In nutshell... it was this https://media.giphy.com/media/1F60rktCOqqnS/giphy.gif
... plus "it was our Gold to win, until those damn V/M showed up at OUR rink and trained with OUR coaches and ruined it, we did mess up too, but V/M were over-scored, the panel of judges was "wrong", we hopped V/M would hinder during FS, but they did not, we're pissed.... it was our turn to earn Gold (and not translated) we did not feel like going to medal ceremony."

:D

alain06fr

But not all performances are the same. We all know V/M's FD changed dramatically by the Olympics.

Ah noooo. How can you say something like this? Come on! There never were any “dramatical change” at all but some minor changes hugely promoted by Skate Canada propaganda as being tremendous. LOL.

And these “pretended to be” dramatical changes led to an overall score of 198 pts at OG team event!
Unless you saw “dramatical changes” between the team and individual OG events but I wish you good luck to at least start justifying something like that!

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Ah noooo. How can you say something like this? Come on! There never were any “dramatical change” at all but some minor changes hugely promoted by Skate Canada propaganda as being tremendous. LOL.

And these “pretended to be” dramatical changes led to an overall score of 198 pts at OG team event!
Unless you saw “dramatical changes” between the team and individual events but I wish you good luck to at least start justifying something like that!

There was only a 0.20 increase in PCS from team event to individual in FD.
They got two L3 for steps in team event, all L4's in individual FD.
Obviously all their elements were designed to be L4 just like every other team.
Clearly they skated the individual FD better, you can read these two like a book and that reaction was them knowing they nailed it. Even in the latest interview with P/C she acknowledges she watched each element by element hoping they would make a mistake, but they didn't.

It's basic bloody math. :rolleyes:

eta....And I am pretty sure VIETgrlTerifa is referring to the dramatically different FD they skated post GP series.

dramagrrl

Uh, right, because changing the entire ending (music and movement) of a program between GPF and the Olympics is not a dramatic change at all! Obviously just SC propaganda. :rolleyes:

Unless you saw “dramatical changes” between the team and individual OG events but I wish you good luck to at least start justifying something like that!
Between the team event and the individual event, Muramoto/Reed's FD score went up 10.6 points. C&L went up 5.4 points. The Shibs' score increased by 5.12. V&M were clearly not the only team who saw a significant increase in scoring between the team event and the individual dance event. Your conspiracy theories continue to be, quite frankly, both ridiculous and hilarious. :lol:

Peepsquick

My french sucks.... But not bad enough to read the obvious. Let's see if you can translate differently, so that this team does not sound bitter, entitled and poor-sport...;)

==== V/M return to competition.
G-ELLE : Bon. C’est sûr qu’on n’était pas ravis. Non seulement ils revenaient à la compétition, mais ils allaient débarquer dans notre école et travailler avec nos entraîneurs.

G-ELLE: Well. Certainly we were not thrilled. Not only they returned to competition, but to our school, to train with our trainers.

==== feelings about V/M at the same rink. dislike to "share a trainer" that is common at every top trainer's group.
G-ELLE: L’ambiance n’a plus jamais été la même. Impossible de côtoyer ses rivaux, chaque jour, sans que ça bouscule un peu la routine.
Nous devions maintenant partager nos entraîneurs. On avait un peu l’habitude de se fier à eux, sans trop réfléchir. Alors que dans la mentalité nord-américaine, c’est différent.

G-ELLE: The atmosphere (environment) was never the same. It is impossible to rub shoulders with your rivals every day, without some negative affect on your routine.
We now had to share our trainers. We had an unquestionable trust in them. Although in North America the mentality is totally different.

==== saying that when V/M came to the rink they spoiled the "good vibes".
Ce qui a été difficile, c’est qu’avant leur arrivée, il n’y avait aucun stress à l’aréna. C’était un peu comme une famille. On était tous amis et coéquipiers. Puis, Tessa et Scott sont arrivés et tout a changé.

The difficult part was that before their arrival there was no stress at the rink. It was somewhat like it’s a family. We were all friends and team mates. Then Tessa and Scott arrived and everything changed.

==== wishing V/M to flop/mess up.
G-ELLE: Je me souviens que je regardais leurs éléments un à un. Et chaque élément, on avait envie qu’ils se plantent, et ils ne se plantaient jamais. C’était : « Merde, ils ne se sont pas plantés sur celui-là, merde. Merde. Merde. » Ils ne se sont jamais plantés, finalement. C’était de bonne guerre d’espérer. On ne leur voulait pas de mal, mais on pensait à nous.

G-ELLE: I remember I was watching their elements, one by one. And with every element we wanted them to flop, and they flopped. So it was like “Shit, they did not flop on this one, shit. Shit. Shit”. In the end, they never flopped. It was a good effort at wishful thinking. It’s not that we wished them ill, we were just looking out for ourselves.

==== feeling their loss is unfair.
G-l-me: Un sentiment d’injustice. Et là, les questions commencent dans ta tête: Pourquoi? Pourquoi c’est arrivé?

G-l-me: It felt unfair. And then the questions pop into your head: Why? Why did it come to this?

==== comments about “conspiracy theories of their loss, questioning panel of judges, and scores.
G-ELLE: C’était même difficile de ne pas y croire. Quand tes idées ne sont pas claires, et qu’on te rabâche sans cesse de théories de complot et de machins du genre.

La robe, la composition du panel de juges que certains remettaient en question, le fait qu’ils ont eu beaucoup plus de points que dans la compétition par équipe pour les mêmes programmes.

G-ELLE: It was difficult not to believe in them. When your thoughts are not clear, and you’re constantly spinning conspiracy theories and stuff like that.

The dress, the configuration of the judges’ panel which some questioned, the fact that they (V/M) received a lot more points now for the same programme than in the team event.
====

In nutshell... it was this https://media.giphy.com/media/1F60rktCOqqnS/giphy.gif
... plus "it was our Gold to win, until those damn V/M showed up at OUR rink and trained with OUR coaches and ruined it, we did mess up too, but V/M were over-scored, the panel of judges was "wrong", we hopped V/M would hinder during FS, but they did not, we're pissed.... it was our turn to earn Gold (and not translated) we did not feel like going to medal ceremony."

:D

I'm done with it. You read what you want to read in it. Your bias shows in the way you choose to understand their words.
One evident mistake in the translation:
"...et qu’on te rabâche sans cesse de théories de complot et de machins du genre." / you’re constantly spinning conspiracy theories and stuff like that."

They are not the ones spinning conspiracy theories ... Oooops! but what does it matter, right!? :rolleyes:

Tinami Amori

I'm done with it. You read what you want to read in it. Your bias shows in the way you choose to understand their words.
One evident mistake in the translation:
"...et qu’on te rabâche sans cesse de théories de complot et de machins du genre." / you’re constantly spinning conspiracy theories and stuff like that."

They are not the ones spinning conspiracy theories ... Oooops! but what does it matter, right!? :rolleyes:

:D oh, i see...... out several paragraphs you found one figurative phrase and you don't like one word's translation....

original: et qu’on te rabâche sans cesse de théories de complot

mine: you’re constantly spinning conspiracy theories (in your mind)

google: you are continually bent on conspiracy theories (in your mind)

anything else?...;)

alain06fr

There was only a 0.20 increase in PCS from team event to individual in FD.
They got two L3 for steps in team event, all L4's in individual FD.
Obviously all their elements were designed to be L4 just like every other team.
Clearly they skated the individual FD better, you can read these two like a book and that reaction was them knowing they nailed it. Even in the latest interview with P/C she acknowledges she watched each element by element hoping they would make a mistake, but they didn't.

It's basic bloody math. :rolleyes:

eta....And I am pretty sure VIETgrlTerifa is referring to the dramatically different FD they skated post GP series.

Maths are usually the last and the worst argument. Once levels are granted then BV are defined and Pts related to GOEs are immediately known. Calculations are straight forward.

How a couple who never managed to pass the 200pts threshold, even at the OG team event, was suddenly awarded with an overall SB score increased by 8pts and world record with 206+ pts at the OG individual event by the same panel with comparable performances within a week?

believed

How a couple who never managed to pass the 200pts threshold, even at the OG team event, was suddenly awarded with a SB score increased by 8pts and wirld record with 206+ pts at the OG individual event by the same panel with comparable performances within a week?
I believe the previous posters have already answered all of these questions and you’re just ignoring them.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Maths are usually the last and the worst argument. Once levels are granted then BV are defined and Pts related to GOEs are immediately known. Calculations are straight forward.

How a couple who never managed to pass the 200pts threshold, even at the OG team event, was suddenly awarded with an overall SB score increased by 8pts and world record with 206+ pts at the OG individual event by the same panel with comparable performances within a week?

:wall:

alain06fr

I believe the previous posters have already answered all of these questions and you’re just ignoring them.

Not exactly. It’s just that the arguments were denied by the facts I took the time to detail.
BTW, when people try to find a new argument as soon as you explain why their previous one was not relevant, it just demonstrates that it’s probably time to think that some scores at OG individual event don’t make sense at all.

Peepsquick

:D oh, i see...... out several paragraphs you found one figurative phrase and you don't like one word's translation....

original: et qu’on te rabâche sans cesse de théories de complot

mine: you’re constantly spinning conspiracy theories (in your mind)

google: you are continually bent on conspiracy theories (in your mind)

anything else?...;)

As I said, it is the creative way you choose to interpret what was said ;)
What is your point? You didn't like me questioning your French? (your interpretation made it a valid question)
In the end, I think it simply and predictably comes to: you don't like them? I got that already a couple of posts ago.
So no, nothing else ... it's been a pleasure :D

alain06fr

What is your point? You didn't like me questioning your French? (your interpretation made it a valid question)
In the end, I think it simply and predictably comes to: you don't like them? I got that already a couple of posts ago.

Peepsquick your understanding of French is perfect... and I guess you can trust me when I say that!

VGThuy

Details? People already detailed how V/M weren't the only team that got a score bump and it wasn't the judges that made the biggest difference the increase in score but the base value by the tech panel. It was also stated it's not unusual for a top skater/team to get a score bump from the GP series to Worlds/Olympics. Further, V/M's program was drastically different at the Olympics than it was in the GP events. And not all performances are the same. As to the Team v. Individual, since their GOE increased by a bit with higher levels, maybe they felt the elements were done better in the individual so gave them higher GOE. Their PCS was essentially the same. Also top teams tend to get higher GOEs once they are competing against a much fuller field that includes some lower level teams. These things tend to be comparative even though IJS is on paper not a comparative system (but it really is and fans certainly treat it that way). That would easily account for the score bump. When you're talking about Base values increasing by 3 points in the FD and 3 points in the SD...that's 6 points right there. It's not that difficult to figure out the increase. Now those are "details".

Last edited:

jtpc

Yeah.... by “some points” why not but certainly not by 8 pts (eight points!) which doesn’t make sense at all for - once again - two comparable performances judged within a week (!) by the exact same judge panel!

This is history now so I guess people can at least simply understand there’s something wrong somewhere.
As someone who also found V/M's team event and individual event free dances very comparable, I'd like to know why the scores were vastly different as well. But, I'm going to take the other side and ask why the level 4's weren't given during the team event. ;)

I attributed it to being early in the week and the tech panel wanted to seem tougher earlier on. There is precedent for calls or scoring to become more generous as the week goes on. Just think back to the compulsory dance days and how different scores would often be from compulsory dance to free dance. Old habits die hard I guess.

I felt that like P/C, V/M deserved to run the table in the free with level 4 calls. Given that V/M hadn't received a TES of 60 internationally in the FD all season, I was pleasantly surprised to see those calls actually given, as based on how the season seemed to be trending, it didn't seem like it would be possible. The gold was gone if either step sequence had been called a 3 (difference in base value being 1.5 and gold being decided by less than a point), so I'm certainly glad they received the level 4's they did.

Last edited:

dramagrrl

Not exactly. It’s just that the arguments were denied by the facts I took the time to detail.
BTW, when people try to find a new argument as soon as you explain why their previous one was not relevant, it just demonstrates that it’s probably time to think that some scores at OG individual event don’t make sense at all.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl:

I felt that like P/C, V/M deserved to run the table in the free with level 4 calls. Given that V/M hadn't received a TES of 60 internationally in the FD all season, my only surprise was that the technical panel gave them those calls. The gold was gone if either step sequence had been called a 3 (difference in base value being 1.5 and gold being decided by less than a point), so I'm certainly glad they received the level 4's they did.
The fact that they hadn't received a TES of 60 internationally all season was not really relevant (aside from the score in the team competition at OG) because they had not skated that version of the FD at an international competition prior to the Olympic team event.

VGThuy

And also, it happens. Look at the Tango Romatnica RD at Worlds compared to the RD for the rest of the season. The Shibs scores from the GP 2015-2016 to their scores at 2016 Worlds. P/C breaking records for comparable skates. Heck, even P/C got FD score bumps by about 3.5 points from the GP to the Olympics. Their SD also saw an increase of more than 2 points from the GP to Worlds. That's around 5-6 points increase overall. But I also want to reiterate the problem with analyzing scores by just looking on paper is that fans never account for the differences in performances. But in a situation like the TE v. individual, just the callers increasing the base values in of itself already explains like 6 points in increase alone and if the team skated more on fire and more on point, the judges can get swept away and be a little bit more generous with GOE, especially if they already judged some lower level teams who not close to being of the same quality in one portion of the competition and not the other. Plus, as someone else said, the feelings were probably different and the panel was much tougher in the TE than they were in the individual, and that goes for almost every team that competed in both. Alex Shib was confused about the difference in the SD SBS step as well because he felt they were similar but they received higher levels for it in the individual. That's typical ice dance calling.

Tinami Amori

I don't like that they a) have feelings known to be called "poor-sport", b) voice them to the public.

Ideally, when one feels one is a the "top" and sees another competitor who is the a "top" participating in the same rink, and in the same event, a healthy thought of a confident person is "eyyyyyys! game on! if i beat the "top one", my win will be even more valuable; if i practice next to the "top one" i will be more driven on daily basis. thank you for the chance to keep me in fighting spirit, eager and hungry on daily basis. If i lose to the "top one", i lost to a fantastic high quality opponent."

But even if one does not feel this way, then it is very poor manners to say publicly: "I wish the top one did no come back. Their presence bother me. I wished they stumble, shit! shit! but they did not, so now i suspect that the judging was not fair".

P/C obviously are stilling boiling inside from not winning Gold in 2018. What they did by stating all these details is "splashed shit out" that was sitting inside of them all this time. There is NO reason for these vile comments, other than "splashing shit" on the past event and V/M.

Peepsquick

I don't like that they a) have feelings known to be called "poor-sport", b) voice them to the public.

Ideally, when one feels one is a the "top" and sees another competitor who is the a "top" participating in the same rink, and in the same event, a healthy thought of a confident person is "eyyyyyys! game on! if i beat the "top one", my win will be even more valuable; if i practice next to the "top one" i will be more driven on daily basis. thank you for the chance to keep me in fighting spirit, eager and hungry on daily basis. If i lose to the "top one", i lost to a fantastic high quality opponent."

But even if one does not feel this way, then it is very poor manners to say publicly: "I wish the top one did no come back. Their presence bother me. I wished they stumble, shit! shit! but they did not, so now i suspect that the judging was not fair".

P/C obviously are stilling boiling inside from not winning Gold in 2018. What they did by stating all these details is "splashed shit out" that was sitting inside of them all this time. There is NO reason for these vile comments, other than "splashing shit" on the past event and V/M.

Spieglein, Spieglein an der Wand ... who is "splashing shit" here? ;);)

Dobre

Again, it wasn't the PCS that was different between the Team Event and individual for V/M, but the calling.

Also the lift was different, no?

As someone who also found V/M's team event and individual event free dances very comparable, I'd like to know why the scores were vastly different as well.

All the team's scores in both the RD and the FD were lower in the team event than the individual. The easiest way to see it is to look at the RDs. Every team. The biggest difference was for the lowest teams. Korea & Israel scored far more points in the RD in the individual event than the team event. It happened for the French team--Lauriault & Le Gac--as well. Had P&C skated the same performances in both, I'd say there's no question that their scores would have been lower in the team event and higher in the individual event.

Why were those events called differently? Because events are called differently. We see it all the time. It's why you can't predict outcomes of a new competition by comparing scores from different events. I can't think of a more telling example of this than at the Olympics where we even had the same tech panel. (My philosophy--which is just my philosophy--is the same as I mentioned earlier. That it's easy to nitpick teams when you are looking at the best in the World. In fact, you have to do it. But when you see 15-25 lower level teams before you get to those top teams, then those top teams look awfully good).

Last edited:

jtpc

The fact that they hadn't received a TES of 60 internationally all season was not really relevant (aside from the score in the team competition at OG) because they had not skated that version of the FD at an international competition prior to the Olympic team event.
Despite the changes you might make to the musical edits, the ending, or even a rotational lift, you still have the same number of level 4 lifts, spins, twizzle sequences, level 1 choreographic elements, etc. whether you're skating your program as V/M did at SCI, NHK, the GPF, or the Olympics. Up until the point V/M skated, never having achieved a TES of 60 was absolutely relevant as a possible predictor of how the night might have gone as they hadn't received the step sequence calls all season until then. P/C had put up a TES of 63.98 and V/M only had a lead of 1.74. You knew that even if that entire lead was absorbed in the TES, you would need to score 62.24 at least to have a chance and you've never received higher than 59. It was definitely something to be thinking about as the gold medal was decided on technical.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information