The Dance Hall 6: We're All Off Our Rockers 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

elisa_p

Honestly, the way you twisted it around to make it about how people can't take any criticism of P/C and mentioned tables turning and if other teams said the same thing they'd be criticized, sounds like uber-speak. I mean aren't P/C being criticized now here and on Twitter? Don't V/M have major defenders who always come out to defend them when someone takes what one of them says or does the wrong way? I'm a fan of P/C based on their programs, but V/M are one of my top teams of all time and I love ice dance in general. I just have an issue with people acting like they never had less-than-admirable thoughts before when watching skating specifically. To me, it's fake. We've all been around fan culture in sports long enough to know that isn't true generally.

I'm not trying to twist anything around. Nor did I think what I wrote sounds like "uber-speak" and frankly I'm a bit offended at that to be honest. All I was trying to point out was that it was a polarizing interview (regardless if it was another skater that was giving it rather than Gabi) and some people will have no issues with it and some people will. And if you (the general kind) can't see why it would have rubbed some fans the wrong way without lumping them into the category of being a uber then isn't that same thing you (the general kind) was doing. That was my point and I was just putting it out there because there were a few comments that seemed to lump everyone who had anything negative to say about the interview in with the twitter trolls and/or using this interview to fuel their own pre-concieved notions. You can absolutely go on defending them...It doesn't bother me and for the most part people here have been very respectful. I said nothing about V&M nor what kind of thoughts they did or didn't have. V&M are one of your favourite teams? Great...good for you but that has nothing to do with my original post.

Judy

Gabriella has commented the interview on Twitter.

As a V/M fan I take no issue with her comments. Geez everyone feels that way at some point when you’re competing for something. It’s normal and it’s human. It is also not disrespect or poor sportsmanship.

One thing I have to point out is that you learn things from winning and losing. For everyone in life. This will help them for the next Olympics.

I also agree that two teams sharing coaches must be very difficult.

puglover

As a V/M fan I take no issue with her comments. Geez everyone feels that way at some point when you’re competing for something. It’s normal and it’s human. It is also not disrespect or poor sportsmanship.

One thing I have to point out is that you learn things from winning and losing. For everyone in life. This will help them for the next Olympics.

I totally agree with you and I am a long time uber fan of V/M.

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
'Se planter' doesn't just mean to fail, it's failing spectacularly, completely blowing it.
"Se planter" dans le langage populaire français, ce n'est pas nécessairement le faire de façon spectaculaire. C'est juste commettre une erreur. Définition du Larousse : "faire une erreur, se tromper, essuyer un échec." Comme l'a dit Viscaro, si tu as vraiment tout foiré, tu dis que tu t'es "planté/e complètement". I agree Gabriella was being facetious and flippant, she certainly never wished V/M an epic fail. Sportmanship-wise, as a former competitor, I'm not ultra-fan of what she said, but denying this is something that goes through competitors' mind once in a while would be ridiculous. It's just human. And there is a huge difference between thinking "shit, they aren't making any mistakes that could turn to our advantage" and wishing "please please pretty please let's them have a splatfest". People on Twitter are reacting like if Gabriella was a vicious witch who laments that her lethal curse and poison failed killing her contenders. Seriously ?

barbarafan

Yes and the situation was different for P/C and the other teams at Gadbois. For example, H/D were not competing for the gold at the olympics. P/C and V/M were direct competitors and it was clear one of them would win the gold medal.
I agree that it is difficult and it involves a lot of trust in your coaches. V/M went to Gaddbois as they totally trusted MFD and Patrice and they were top coaches. After the debacle with Marina trust in your coaches was most important. I feel both teams totally benefited as each day they pushed themselves to be better technically and artistically within a 2 yr period than several yrs more in any other setup. P/C started this cycle as the team with the flawless magic and are progressing from there onwards and upwards so should be able to lead this cycle..(let's forget about bad judging for now). You can only be in charge of what you do......not what someone else is doing and as long as you have the mindset of "Wow that was perfect..what can we do to improve it" they will be fine. Not very happy with the trashing but Gabby has proved she can tuff it through anything (let's see the trashers skate through a program knowing they could end up half naked at the end of it file it away with moments which we are not fond of)and she knows it is all about them and their needs not hers. Can't wait to see what they are working on this year.

forthewin

So P/C had no problem with their FD breaking world record with a huge rise, while questioning V/M's FD getting a better score from the team event. Emm, interesting. Didn't they hear the audience roaring for MR while being shockingly quiet after their own FD? Did they really think they're so superior to V/M that they can win with one flawed SD against V/M's two perfect programs? People are saying P/C are 'honest', but it seems to me that they really have no perspective of themselves and V/M at all even to this day.

Peepsquick

So P/C had no problem with their FD breaking world record with a huge rise, while questioning V/M's FD getting a better score from the team event. Emm, interesting. Didn't they hear the audience roaring for MR while being shockingly quiet after their own FD? Did they really think they're so superior to V/M that they can win with one flawed SD against V/M's two perfect programs? People are saying P/C are 'honest', but it seems to me that they really have no perspective of themselves and V/M at all even to this day.

Papadakis on V/M's team event: "Consciemment, nous n’avons pas regardé leurs performances dans l’épreuve par équipe. Mais je me souviens d’avoir jeté un coup d’œil à leur pointage. C’était bien, mais pas impossible à égaler ou à battre".

Throwing shade doesn't stand up to the facts ... . It's all in your charming mind!

forthewin

To be honest the whole interview screams two words: Spoiled Brat! P/C want it all and want it the easy way. They have benefited from being the judges' favorites for a long time. Once it didn't go their way, they started moaning. And I would like to see if they immediately retire after 2022 with the OGM, because according to them it made absolutely no sense for V/M to return after 2014. So let's see what they will do when they are in the same shoes. If they don't retire, I'd like to throw this very interview in their face.

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
To be honest the whole interview screams two words: Spoiled Brat! P/C want it all and want it the easy way. They have benefited from being the judges' favorites for a long time. Once it didn't go their way, they started moaning. And I would like to see if they immediately retire after 2022 with the OGM, because according to them it made absolutely no sense for V/M to return after 2014. So let's see what they will do when they are in the same shoes. If they don't retire, I'd like to throw this very interview in their face.
Gabriella stated in the interview she did not believe that they would come back when she first heard the speculation ,but neither one of P&C ever undermined their decision to come back. Rather, they took V&M very seriously as rivals once it was made official.

Last edited:

Peepsquick

You really need to put more care into reading their interviews (if you are at all interested to get to know them) and realize that moaning was never their style. As @escaflowne9282 responded, they were just very surprised. Don't forget either how young they were. As for being the judges' favorites ... many of us beyond the judges can see how good they are. They might not be everyone's favorites style wise but there is no denying that they are extremely talented. We should be happy to have them around like many people for many years were happy to have V/M around. P/C were never critical of V/M, they were just trying to deal with a situation they were not prepared for. They honed their competitive spirit in great part thanks/ or/ because of training alongside V/M who always thrived on a challenge. It was a steep learning curve for P/C, especially in 2017. They were largely successful in 2018 which helped them believe that they indeed could win the OG. They didn't and V/M did and this interview is actually a very honest glimpse of what it costs all competitive athletes to go through that time of competition. They were perfectly fair-play about it (ask V/M !). It would take a very naive fan to think that this kind of experience isn't lived quite the same way on the inside as it is on the outside !

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins

I vastly agree with this. I can't fault Gabriella for feeling-- in the moment, watching V&M skate-- that maybe they'd trip up and open the door. In fact, I think that's showing respect in a backwards way, because she didn't assume they had a cushion over V&M, and they'd need their competition to make a mistake for her to win. I can't blame anyone for thinking that when I briefly felt that way watching D&W skate the FD in 2014. :p You hope for what you hope for sometimes.

However, I think it was pretty silly to admit it to a reporter. She's opened herself up to a lot of unnecessary criticism over it. And I'm not enamored with the rest of the interview. I'm glad she stopped short of complaining about how everything was handled by the Gadbois staff, who really seemed to do their best for both teams last year. And were it not for the dress break, the season's momentum was really working in favour of P&C. My takeaway is as tough as it was to lose gold, the wake up call of not being the easy front-runners was more of an adjustment than expected.

She's still pretty young, though. I wouldn't be surprised if she feels a bit less... pointed about it in the future.

barbarafan

I vastly agree with this. I can't fault Gabriella for feeling-- in the moment, watching V&M skate-- that maybe they'd trip up and open the door. In fact, I think that's showing respect in a backwards way, because she didn't assume they had a cushion over V&M, and they'd need their competition to make a mistake for her to win. I can't blame anyone for thinking that when I briefly felt that way watching D&W skate the FD in 2014. :p You hope for what you hope for sometimes.

However, I think it was pretty silly to admit it to a reporter. She's opened herself up to a lot of unnecessary criticism over it. And I'm not enamored with the rest of the interview. I'm glad she stopped short of complaining about how everything was handled by the Gadbois staff, who really seemed to do their best for both teams last year. And were it not for the dress break, the season's momentum was really working in favour of P&C. My takeaway is as tough as it was to lose gold, the wake up call of not being the easy front-runners was more of an adjustment than expected.

She's still pretty young, though. I wouldn't be surprised if she feels a bit less... pointed about it in the future.

Gabby wears her heart on her sleeve and her great passion is what she brings into her performances and I would not want to change that for anything. Guillaume is more introverted but the beauty in the perfection of his movement is spellbinding as well. Just like Scott sometimes had his foot in his mouth while Tessa was more reserved and proper around people and saved the drama for the ice. I would never want to change anything about either team. The people who really see Scott and Gabby as they are love them and neither of them should care what the others think.

Sylvia

TBD

RoseRed

"Se planter" dans le langage populaire français, ce n'est pas nécessairement le faire de façon spectaculaire. C'est juste commettre une erreur. Définition du Larousse : "faire une erreur, se tromper, essuyer un échec." Comme l'a dit Viscaro, si tu as vraiment tout foiré, tu dis que tu t'es "planté/e complètement". I agree Gabriella was being facetious and flippant, she certainly never wished V/M an epic fail. Sportmanship-wise, as a former competitor, I'm not ultra-fan of what she said, but denying this is something that goes through competitors' mind once in a while would be ridiculous. It's just human. And there is a huge difference between thinking "shit, they aren't making any mistakes that could turn to our advantage" and wishing "please please pretty please let's them have a splatfest". People on Twitter are reacting like if Gabriella was a vicious witch who laments that her lethal curse and poison failed killing her contenders. Seriously ?

Perhaps it's different in Canada, because "se planter" to me does sound stronger than just "make a mistake". And my Quebecois friend from Montreal said they would translate "se planter" as "to crash and burn" or "f*** up" or "to make a significant mistake" as the mildest translation. So maybe it's just different here, since another posters who says French is their first language also found "se planter" to be stronger than just "make a mistake".

kittysk8ts

Agree with you and the poster you are responding to.

When I think of the interview in its totality, and when she gets to the part of her watching V/M elements and saying “Shit, shit, shit” I see it as her explaining what it was like to watch “it all slip away.” Just caught up in the back and forth momentum of the last 2 seasons. No actual malice intended. Does that make sense?

Peepsquick

Agree with you and the poster you are responding to.

When I think of the interview in its totality, and when she gets to the part of her watching V/M elements and saying “Shit, shit, shit” I see it as her explaining what it was like to watch “it all slip away.” Just caught up in the back and forth momentum of the last 2 seasons. No actual malice intended. Does that make sense?

Absolutely! I was quite a roller coaster, if you think about it. The crash after the SD and having to build yourself up again and "believe" to be able to compete as best as you could in the FD. You put that kind of energy and commitment into what you do, you live every second of it in hope that it was enough. I think, they showed great poise and maturity at the Games. That Gabi allows us to get into their minds as the event unfolded is, I think, quite cathartic for her, after all that has been said at the time. Now they want to move on. We should also.

alain06fr

V/M's FD getting a better score from the team event.

V/M never managed to - at least - reach 200 pts overall in any ISU competitions including at the OG team event but they suddenly broke the world record (required to beat P/C) with an overall score hugely improved by 8 pts within a few days! LOL How funny! How “magical”! Considering that improving an overall score by 8pts within the whole season is already a tremendous challenge... LOL

Last edited:

VGThuy

Scores increase and change depending on the type of competition (having 8-10 competitors with only one team per nation v. 20+ teams with multiple world-medal class teams), and the make-up of the panel (both judges and tech panel). P/C fans of all people should know this considering how P/C breaks scoring records and such for skates that are similar to what they did previously.

alain06fr

Scores increase and change depending on the type of competition (having 8-10 competitors with only one team per nation v. 20+ teams with multiple world-medal class teams), and the make-up of the panel (both judges and tech panel). P/C fans of all people should know this considering how P/C breaks scoring records and such for skates that are similar to what they did previously.

Increasing drastically your overall score by 8 pts within a week with comparable performances, identical tech panel and the same scoring judges is what I call a big joke.

kittysk8ts

Yes, and also, everyone was scored lower in the TE in Pyeongchang. As I recall it anyway.

VGThuy

I have a feeling you wouldn't have complained if it had happened to P/C. The scoring in the team event was a lot tighter and different than the individual event. Almost everyone's scores went up from the team event to the individual by some points. Same thing would have happened to P/C had they competed.

puglover

I believe both teams knew going in that it was going to come down to what happened on those two days. No one had a cushion. I see such little point in looking back and rehashing it all. I am much more intrigued with looking forward. Lots can happen in these next three years. Now that is worth discussing, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information