The Dance Hall 5: Ice Dance Fans 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsZem

I see the sea
H/K skated at Finlandia Trophy this season, so Golden Skate wasn't their first competition.
Yes, they did Finlandia and Open D'Andorra before Golden Spin. Admittedly Open D'Andorra is not much of a challenge, but it was a good way for them to prep for their two more important competitions.

Interesting and heartwarming that Adria has a twitter account and he has not liked her post.
I think he liked her "we are a team" tweet. My guess is that most of those who liked it did so as a way of congratulating her for winning Nationals.

Dobre

A few random facts that I stumbled across while double checking to make sure the Bavarian Open was the event Smart & Diaz attended after Nationals last year:

-Smart & Diaz scored 171.70 at the Bavarian Open last season.
-Their ISU personal best and season's best score is 159.40.
-Their ISU personal best score is from this year's Golden Spin.
-Hurtado & Khaliavin's PB is also from Golden Spin and moved them well up into the top 24.

I am curious how both teams will do at the major internationals this season. Neither team cracked 146 at Europeans/Worlds last year; but with time together, it's natural to anticipate improvement.

Vera Costa

Except his PCS marks are not out of line with other judges marks at all. Could be very clever judging. It's much more visible in GOE.

I'm looking at the FD protocols and even with low and -ve GoE on the Twizzles and Circular step sequence, they were only two points behind in the TES. They were also two points ahead in the PCS.

And this was without the judge from Belarus.

VGThuy

Thematically, it's not too different from their film noir theme. Paul still gets to play some sort of law enforcement agent, this time international espionage rather than a local detective, and Piper still gets to play something sexy. I'm assuming they're going for Bond and Bond girl.

kittysk8ts

Thematically, it's not too different from their film noir theme. Paul still gets to play some sort of law enforcement agent, this time international espionage rather than a local detective, and Piper still gets to play something sexy. I'm assuming they're going for Bond and Bond girl.
Right. Presumably keeping the lifts and some choreo. Seems a wise decision on the surface. We won't really know until Canadians. They had to do something.

lauravvv

Thanks, kittysk8ts. Okay, so Florence and the Machine is not their music. But neither did the music playing in the clip sound like Adele. I hope they are not using her 'Skyfall'. Not that I dislike the song, but I would like it if they used something less overused from the Bond movies - at least something that hasn't been used a lot recently.

Ovrerall, I can't say that I am ecstatic about this, but I guess such a choice allows them to use some of the ideas - both elements and choreo, as well as the overall tone of the presentation - from their original FD. So in that sense it's probably a good idea. We'll see - perhaps PJ Kwong is right, and they have managed to do something really good with this often used theme.

legjumper

Looking at Smart's tweets, apparently she also feels that she and Diaz deserved the Olympic spot because they were the ones who had qualified it. If this were the case, Voronov, Kovtun and Tuktemysheva would have all been Olympians by now.

It really is too bad that Spain only has the one Euros spot. This is a classic case where a Euros skateoff would have been the best solution.

ETA:

IIRC, they WD from two CS events - Lombardia and Ice Star Minsk. Lombardia was due to Hurtado's injury. Was there any other competition that they withdrew from? If not, I don't see how this is a fair accusation.

H/K reportedly withdrew from Ice Star Minsk due to administrative issues - Hielo Espanol reported that the organizers didn't confirm the team in time for their coaches to get visas. https://www.instagram.com/p/BbgqqnpltN8/?taken-by=hieloespanol

chapis

According to this blog post from http://pjkwong.com/skating-surprises/, Piper and Paul's new FD is "James Bond themed".

I do not think it's the best idea, but I have to say that I admire them for getting a new program when it would have been easier and probably more reasonable to recycle one of their old programs, they are taking the difficult road.

binbinwinwin

Hitchcock doesn't fit into the current scoring rules I don't think, they'd have to rework a bunch of sections. By pasting a James Bond theme onto their current program it make everything more understandable to a bigger audience with the same-ish theme.

I was pretty excited for a Film Noir FD and I liked that they used Park Avenue Beat but the program kinda missed the mark and loses me in the middle. I guess it's for the best.

legjumper

I think Gilles/Poirier are making the right decision - the FD wasn't making waves with the judges (or fans), and they've pulled off program switches in the past to much success (think 2016's SD switch from a trippy Baroque theme to "Norwegian Wood" and "Ob-La-Di" by the Beatles - it got them into the final FD group at Worlds). Sometimes it's not just the skating, but the accessibility of programs that determines success. I have faith that Piper and Paul can make this work for them, but even if it doesn't, at least they'll know they did everything they could.

barbarafan

Except his PCS marks are not out of line with other judges marks at all. Could be very clever judging. It's much more visible in GOE. Also, there is a noticeable difference in three other judges scores for H/K and S/D too. One of them is the Russian judge, though, and the Spanish judge went the opposite way with her marks. The difference in the Turkey judges marks is pretty notable too, but not quite so large.

All in all, it's a real pity that it happened this way, as Hurtado/Khaliavin very likely didn't even need any cheating to win over Smart/Diaz in that competition. They have the better skating skills, and they managed to perform well and without any major mistakes at least in the SD there. But, if they had won over S/D with a few less points, it could have made all the difference overall, allowing S/D to go to Olympics. Although we don't really know what would have been.

The judging was very weird. What is it that Zhulin did? Funny the Turkish judge really lowballed Tiffany & Jon as well as Loboda & Drozd both lower ranked Russian skaters but not coached by Zhulin but nice boost for B/S and S/K.hhhmmm hope the entire marking is being looked at...

RoseRed

And S/D even will be send to Worlds 2018, what other federation does that?. ¨You qualify for the Olympics but you can not go to the Worlds, sorry¨. They will be sent again to the Worlds, not because any criteria say it, but because the Spanish federation says so in the last minute.
Sometimes the criteria for the Olympics and Worlds are different. Did the Spanish fed ever say that Golden Spin + Nats would determine the Worlds spot too? Because as I recall that was only for the Olympics. I don't think I ever saw what the criteria for Worlds are.

It's not so controversial that they follow their official criteria to choose the Olympic team and the National Champs are sent to Worlds, imo.

For example, IIRC, South Korea has 3 National comps to choose teams. The 4CC team is chosen just based on the ranking comp (the 2nd one), the Worlds team just on Nationals, and the Olympic team on the added up scores of all 3.

And I wasn't really following this closely at the time, but did the USFS have different criteria for the Olympics and Worlds in 2013-14?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information