The Dance Hall 11: Movin' On Up 2023-2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Well, that would be a problem too;).

But no, I was just thinking that it's very common for new U.S. dance teams with an ISP qualifying score but no senior international experience & outside the top 24 to be sent to the U.S. Classic for their first Challenger event, as there are typically three dance berths there and usually USFS likes to divide up the teams that are in the international top 24. I do expect Flores & Desyatov to compete in the Challenger Series, but without the U.S. Classic International being a CS event this season, I've no idea where they will be selected to compete.

ETA: I see I used the term "international" in the wrong place instead of Challenger" during my first draft of that post so no wonder it was confusing.
Possibly Autumn Classic in Canada or Lombardia Trophy in Italy, since those are the early September CS events.

The USFS hasn't usually maxed out with 3 entries at all of the Challengers, so it'll be interesting to see how those pan out. Clearly, the teams with 2 GPs are probably only going to get 1 CS, so we could be looking at something like this:

Lombardia - Green/Parsons, Brown/Brown
Autumn Classic - Pate/Bye, Wolfkostin/Tsarevski
Nebelhorn - Zingas/Kolesnik, Flores/Desyatov
Nepela - Chock/Bates, McNamara/Spiridonov
Finlandia - Hawayek/Baker, Koncius/Shchepetov
Budapest - Carreira/Ponomarenko, Bratti/Somerville
Denis Ten Memorial - n/a (USFS never sends a team to Kazakhstan)
IceChallenge* - 2 of 4 remaining teams that don't get the SkAm TBD (Browns, WolfTsar, FlorDes, McNSpir, KonShch)
Warsaw - 2 of the 4 remaining teams that don't get the SkAm TBD
Golden Spin - consolation prize for teams that don't make the GPF

*Same weekend as the US Dance Final, so I expect the USFS will assign 1 or 2 teams to this event who don't earn byes by having at least 3 GP/CS assignments.

Also a factor is the USFS isn't going to want to give away too many Nats byes - ChoBat, GreenP, CarPon, ZingKol, HawBak, PateBye, and BratSom are all but guaranteed a bye and that leaves just 3 potential byes with whomever gets the SkAm TBD likely snagging one.

Dobre

Clearly, the teams with 2 GPs are probably only going to get 1 CS, so we could be looking at something like this:
Why "clearly?" I can think of lots of times that U.S. teams with 2 GPs have received & desired 2 Challenger events. (All those teams on the bubble for top 24 scores have a lot of competition & could benefit from the world standing points and typically higher-running scores at CS events).

Karen-W

Why "clearly?" I can think of lots of times that U.S. teams with 2 GPs have received & desired 2 Challenger events. (All those teams on the bubble for top 24 scores have a lot of competition & could benefit from the world standing points and typically higher-running scores at CS events).
Hmmm... I was just looking at last season's assignments - WolfChen and the Browns were the only teams that had 2 GPs and 2 CS - and I figured that was more due to them being just up from juniors than anything else, though I suppose it's difficult to know if GreenP or CarPon would have also been given a 2nd CS under different circumstances (GreenP's late coaching change and CarPon's comeback from Anthony's surgery). I guess it really depends on whether or not the USFS has the budget to send 3 teams to some of those earlier Challengers - if that's the case then, sure, there are several teams that could wind up with 2 CS in addition to 2 GPs.

Dobre

I guess it really depends on whether or not the USFS has the budget to send 3 teams to some of those earlier Challengers - if that's the case then, sure, there are several teams that could wind up with 2 CS in addition to 2 GPs.
If USFS does not have the budget, it's also entirely possible that it could prioritize teams with stronger standing over teams with less. It's not impossible that a team or more might opt out of the CS, which would free some space above. And it is quite common for teams with good odds of a longer season to opt for fewer competitions early on; but if you've no guarantee of 4CCs or Worlds, then Challenger points and Challenger scores make a big difference in keeping teams on the top 24 lists against international teams that get to compete at major internationals. Plus, the opportunity for prize money in order to help pay for training. Also, we've definitely had seasons where U.S. teams had to earn a particular score in order to earn a second--or even a third--CS event.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
I wouldn’t be surprised if Chock/Bates start their season at SA again. They’ve been busy in the off season and they and their team are experienced enough to know what they need to do (even if it didn’t work out initially last season). And with no US Challenger they might prefer to opt out of more intercontinental travel or a likely early head to head with either Gilles/Poirier or Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen. Though if they do go for one, IAM usually sends a strong contingent to Finlandia.

VGThuy

I wouldn’t be surprised if Chock/Bates start their season at SA again. They’ve been busy in the off season and they and their team are experienced enough to know what they need to do (even if it didn’t work out initially last season). And with no US Challenger they might prefer to opt out of more intercontinental travel or a likely early head to head with either Gilles/Poirier or Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen. Though if they do go for one, IAM usually sends a strong contingent to Finlandia.
I can definitely see that. And even if they start their season at SA instead of a Challenger event, it doesn't mean they'll have the same slow start to the season as they did last season (not that it hurt them in the end).

Karen-W

2023 Quebec Summer Championships, August 10-13 in Pierrefonds - Senior & Junior ice dance entries as of June 28 include many of the I.AM international teams: https://patinage.qc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Liste-participants-CQE2023-28062023-V3.pdf
Holy cow! I figured we'd get a good lineup at LPIDI (maybe we still will), but that's an EXCITING list of teams where we'll get an early season look at their programs!

Bronsard/Richmond CAN
Carreira/Ponomarenko USA
Fabbri/Ayer CAN
Gauthier/Thieren CAN
Harris/Chan AUS
Hensen/Lickers CAN
Holubtsova/Bielobrov UKR
Karnes/Carr GBR
Lim/Quan KOR
Maksymec/Desmarais SUI
Reed/Ambrulevicius LTU
Ritter/Brykalov AZE
Robinson/Portz CAN
Smart/Dieck ESP
Tanaka/Nishiyama JPN

litenkyckling

Holy cow! I figured we'd get a good lineup at LPIDI (maybe we still will), but that's an EXCITING list of teams where we'll get an early season look at their programs!

Bronsard/Richmond CAN
Carreira/Ponomarenko USA
Fabbri/Ayer CAN
Gauthier/Thieren CAN
Harris/Chan AUS
Hensen/Lickers CAN
Holubtsova/Bielobrov UKR
Karnes/Carr GBR
Lim/Quan KOR
Maksymec/Desmarais SUI
Reed/Ambrulevicius LTU
Ritter/Brykalov AZE
Robinson/Portz CAN
Smart/Dieck ESP
Tanaka/Nishiyama JPN
I hope not too many WD at the last minute because my brain already needs some new programmes to think about at this point in the year

Karen-W

I hope not too many WD at the last minute because my brain already needs some new programmes to think about at this point in the year
Well, we'll have LPIDI a couple weeks before the Quebec Summer Championships, but we're definitely in need of some new programs to think about, lol.

Karen-W

Another new Spanish SENIOR ice dance team - Philomène Sabourin & Raúl Bermejo Gutièrrez

Pics are from Torino, which is where the SK Ice Dance School and Maurizio Margaglio's Finnish skaters are currently spending the month training together at the Palavela. The new team is being coached by Hurtado & Khaliavin.

Raúl previously skated with Eloanne Ogor at the junior level - http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00111827.htm

Philomène is a French skater - here's her Ice Partner Search profile - http://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=6904

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Pics are from Torino, which is where the SK Ice Dance School and Maurizio Margaglio's Finnish skaters are currently spending the month training together at the Palavela.
Natacha Lagouge/Arnaud's Caffa's post includes Isabel Delobel in their group photo ("One picture, 4 generations. All reunited in an Olympic venue, how cool ? 🔥"): https://www.instagram.com/p/CurD2ZGrsAY/

Lagouge/Caffa have created an online fundraising campaign to help with their training expenses: https://www.gofundme.com/f/lagougecaffa-soutenez-notre-projet-sportif

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here from the OES News thread:
Bjorkli/Koszuta (Norwegian ice dancers) have ended their partnership due to Maria's health.

Copying out their post:
Hi everyone, it is with a heavy heart that we are unfortunately announcing the end of our partnership.

Due to very serious complications with Maria’s health and her pacemaker, she was informed by her doctors she should no longer pursue competitive skating. After a long wait for another surgery this is of course the last outcome we wanted to hear. We were devastated to learn of this as it is something completely out of our control.

We appreciate all of the support from the Norwegian Skating Association, coaches, friends, family and anyone who has followed us on this unique journey. In our short time together, we are proud to have achieved what we have in just one competitive season. It was our absolute honor to be the first Norwegian dance team to compete at European Championships.

A very big thank you again to our coaching team and families, we couldn’t have made it this far without that support system.❤️🇳🇴
ETA link to a Norwegian article with more details about Maria's heart condition (OES News thread): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/oes-news-2023-24.110817/#post-6449648

Last edited:

Nmsis

Is Isabelle coaching?
Yes, she does.
Isabelle Delobel-Roux didn't coach at first. Then she started with her sister Véronique in Saint Gervais (in the Alps near the Mont Blanc).
She coached Ambre Perrier-Gianesini and Joseph Booth who left at the end of the 2021-2022 season to skate in Lyon with different partners, coached by Olivier Schoenfelder. Ambre Perrier-Gianesini entered the JGP last season. Joseph Booth the Budapest Trophy.

Her main job though is nutritionist.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Sad day for skating. We will miss them @taz'smum.

Zagorski/Guerreiro have announced their retirement from competition. 😥I think we all saw this coming, even if we hoped for them to resume competing.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
I liked Tiff and Jon with their earlier partners (can't believe it's already 14 seasons since the Fifth Element FD!) but they seemed to find their skating match in each other and were a team who looked like they really enjoyed skating and competing together. They always brought a unique perspective to the ice, even when they were skating to warhorses.

I'm glad they both seem to be staying in skating and I'm looking forward to seeing more of Jon's choreography and work with young Aussie skaters. Hope they get some more opportunities to skate together in shows too.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
I'm glad they both seem to be staying in skating and I'm looking forward to seeing more of Jon's choreography and work with young Aussie skaters. Hope they get some more opportunities to skate together in shows too.
Thank you @Belsornia 🙏 😘
5th element is still one of my favourite FDs!
I wish them both health and happiness. They were so wonderful to watch together.
Thank you @kwanfan1818 🙏 for all your help and for being part of their journey!❤️😘

Dobre

Per the Kiss & Cry, there are 18 teams signed up for the senior international at Lake Placid.

Excellent. Let's start this season off with a bang.

(Always likely some teams will pull out this early in the season, but still very promising. We don't have an actual entry list yet).

litenkyckling

Per the Kiss & Cry, there are 18 teams signed up for the senior international at Lake Placid.

Excellent. Let's start this season off with a bang.

(Always likely some teams will pull out this early in the season, but still very promising. We don't have an actual entry list yet).
Do we know anything about streaming this year? I know there has been an option in previous years but last year wasn’t available

Dobre

There's been no stream the last two or three years.

There was someone there videotaping last year, and most top couples ultimately released the footage of their performances, though they kind of trickled in over the next month.

litenkyckling

There's been no stream the last two or three years.

There was someone there videotaping last year, and most top couples ultimately released the footage of their performances, though they kind of trickled in over the next month.
There was a stream for sure in 2019, 2020 it didn't happen, 2021 there was a stream as it combined with Cranberry Cup - so I think it was only last year after the refurbishment we didn't get one - most were posted on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information