The Dance Hall 10: The Saitama Samba 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skate Talker

H/B have really lovely skating skills, their one foot step sequence is impressive and their energy in the RD contagious. I don't get the huge score of G/P in comparison to other great performing teams this season. They did skate very well at this event but not 10 points above H/B. Stiil G/P's RD was much sharper and enjoyable this time around. FD was very well skated too but I don't like it, the whole program is overdramatic, kind of cheesy really. I have always preferred G/P's more original projects. I cannot believe G/F are the one pulling the more edgy FD actually, talk about a switcheroo ! There was a time where they would have been the ones skating to Evita. In the GPF, my two favs will be the Danadians and the Italians, bonus points for H/B. I still hope for C/B to give a run for their money to everyone just so that the race gets exciting.
To each their own. I find HawBak's RD more cheese than please but really enjoy GilPoi's FD. 😬

chantilly

So why do Hawayek/Baker have lower GOE on their one foot step vs Piper/Paul..?
H/B GOE's were.2 something less. I think H/B were 2.5 and change and G/P were 2.7 and change. Not that significant IMO. And Jean Luc/Kaitlyn received a level 4/3. G/P received a 3/3. From watching the FD's again, I'd say that G/P had less distance between them and had a little more flow. It's arguable that H/B had deeper edges, but they had less flow for sure. At least IMO.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Cross-posting Hielo Español's post today here and in German news thread in GSD: https://www.instagram.com/p/ClgelZ0I4-u/
"Sofia Val & Asaf Kazimov (SK [Hurtado/Khaliavin's] International Ice Dance School). This duo will participate out of competition in the Spanish national championship [Dec. 16-18] since the release is not yet counted to be able to do it officially."

@Sera had posted in the German news thread that Kazimov's name was removed from the German national team list as of Sept. 27 while Lopusova's is still on the list as an individual member.. Lopusova/Kazimov's last competition for Germany was 2022 Challenge Cup (FD was held on Feb. 25): http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00108993.htm

ETA Karen's reply from the German news thread:
Which would mean there is no way for Val/Kazimov to try for the Worlds TES mins at the 2023 Challenge Cup, unfortunately. But, it's good that Spain has a new senior dance team going into next season!

Last edited:

VGThuy

I love Piper and Paul but the theatrics before and after the dance and now even on the medal stand are over the top.
I would usually agree but for some reason, in Espoo, it felt real and genuine. Like they were so into that performance they just could not let it go. Even Paul was still in the moment after the scores and rankings were announced. But if they keep doing it, then the effect will be lost and it won’t be as effective. Then it’ll look mannered and artificial even to me who bought it the first time around. I’m sure there are others who found it super fake and put-on even in Espoo though.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
It took a few rounds, but I really, really bought into H&B's FD this competition. Thank you to those who break down the math so minutely - it helps chill misplaced indignation. :lol:

I would usually agree but for some reason, in Espoo, it felt real and genuine. Like they were so into that performance they just could not let it go. Even Paul was still in the moment after the scores and rankings were announced. But if they keep doing it, then the effect will be lost and it won’t be as effective. Then it’ll look mannered and artificial even to me who bought it the first time around. I’m sure there are others who found it super fake and put-on even in Espoo though.
I would go with self-indulgent, at best.

Really wish their FD lived up to my hopes, but G&P are skating VERY well this year. Wish they could dispense with the pre-post-etc extras. But I'm boring like that.

chantilly

Whatever
It’s clearly working for them
Plenty of actors have used similar types of behaviour and approaches including the brilliant Daniel Day Lewis.

Anyhoo
I loved the bows in waltz position and their commitment to character before the program begins.

The real story of Evita is deep.

I’ll allow it.

VGThuy

I appreciate him stating how most of the Russian skaters probably truly feel inside, especially the younger ones who had been training hard for years and were looking forward to the post-2022 period being their opportunity whether it be on the senior or junior level.

Of course, skating for years inside Russia probably doesn’t sound very attractive to us. Our parents invest a lot so that we train with the best in the best environment, and this should result somewhere. This is probably the most honest answer.

trainingdogs82

I agree. It all felt real there.

I also think they are just beyond themselves with excitement right now. Most had already retired them after last season, even though they had never announced retirement. Even when it was announced they would compete I think had a lot had them dropping out of the top 3, despite being the 3rd highest placing from Olympics and worlds of those left competing. I like them but I didn't forsee a super season for them, despite that by ranking they were a podium team coming in. And suddenly they are the frontrunners, something they have never been even close to ever before. Nobody saw it coming, including them. Add to that they just love playing characters and roles in their skating and mixed with the enthusiasm they are feeling, and they just can't stop it at any point at the moment. :lol:

Andrea82

Some random points

1) In the quest for Italian 2nd spot, Manni/Rothlisberger beat Portesi Peroni/Chrastecky by 5 points in a national competition this weekend. Very close in the RD (0.25 gap) but then M/R won the FD by 5 points.

2) In the up and downs of Junior teams in B events, Neset/Markelov lost to Tkachenko/Kiliakov at Santa Claus Cup.

3) Chinese Fed graced us with some of their young team this week. They all got the minimum TES at Santa Claus Cup. So I guess we may see them at 4 Continents.

4) Li/Wang did Junior and Senior competitions in the same day at Santa Claus Cup. They have a Harry Potter free dance (with a very loud "expecto patronus" voiceover at one point). The organizers got confused at one point and played the Senior music cut during the Junior segment.

5) Stanley/Sosenko of Mexico achieved the minimums for Junior Worlds

6) Bjorkly/Koszuta of Norway got the minimums for Europeans (in FD also for Worlds). The FD is POTUS.

7) I think we're heading towards 24 entries for Euros. Great Britain won't use their second spot. I don't remember the status of Bosnian couple but they have not been seen this season yet.

2 FRA
2 ITA
2 LTU
2 UKR
1 ARM
1 AZE
1 CZE
1 EST (if Mazingue recovers well)
1 FIN
1 GBR
1 GER
1 GEO
1 HUN
1 ISR
1 LAT
1 NED
1 NOR
1 POL
1 SUI
1 SVK

8) For Worlds, the teams with FD minimum TES but missing the RD one are:

Azroian/Gruzdev (Armenia), Jakucs/Galli (Netherlands, got the FD minimum at Bosphorus Cup this weekend), Bjorkly/Koszuta (Norway), Sassi/Morini (Switzerland).
Verhaegh/Van Geffen (Netherlands) are within 1 point in both RD and FD (based on Santa Claus scores)

Jegrivag Cup and Ephesos Cup may be the key events for them...they should aim for a technical panel composed by Akos Pethes, Sylvia Nowak and Jana Vanova.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Some random points

2) In the up and downs of Junior teams in B events, Neset/Markelov lost to Tkachenko/Kiliakov at Santa Claus Cup.
Must point out that NesMark beat TkaKil in the FD today, though it wasn't enough to overcome the deficit they put themselves in from the RD. ;)

Overall, Santa Claus Cup and Bosphorus Istanbul Cup were very generous events for ice dance teams seeking their TES mins.

ETA - 4CCs is looking like a field of 15, possibly 16 teams -

AUS - 2 (Harris/Chan & Nette/Westwood)
CAN - 3 (GilPoir, FBSoer, LajLag)
CHN - 3 (Wang/Liu, Chen/Xing & Li/Wang)
JPN - 2 (KanaDai & KoKo)
KAZ - 1 (Nauryzova/Datiev)
NZL - 1, possibly 2 (Lafond-Fournier/Kam; Guise/Alday are going for their TES mins at Golden Spin)
USA - 3 (ChoBat, HawBak, & either GreenP or CarPon)

Last edited:

Ena Grins

Neset/Markelov are interesting to watch here and at US Nationals. Since they were only able to attend one JGP and didn't make the final, we have limited data on how they stack up compared to their competitors. (They were 3rd behind the Mrazeks and Lim/Quan in Egna). Their score there (156.36) would put them on tier with approximately #5-8 in the JGP rankings so while I don't think they'll challenge for a medal at Junior Worlds this year, they could play spoiler for the final group.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

I'm still really unsure what I think will happen at the JGP Final for the bronze (top two seems relatively clear, absent error). Lim & Quan have the third-best total score, and they're in the second RD flight due to placements, but their RD scores are simply not impressive thus far, they're at a big risk of getting dropped into the first flight of the FD. They aren't even in the top six best RD scores on the JGP.

Karen-W

I'm still really unsure what I think will happen at the JGP Final for the bronze (top two seems relatively clear, absent error). Lim & Quan have the third-best total score, and they're in the second RD flight due to placements, but their RD scores are simply not impressive thus far, they're at a big risk of getting dropped into the first flight of the FD. They aren't even in the top six best RD scores on the JGP.
But their FD is just brilliant.

Additionally, Fradji/Forneaux and Grimm/Savitskiy have struggled in the last couple weeks at their junior B int'ls, and Bekker/Hernandez didn't exactly knock it out of the park at Brit Nationals this weekend.

JGPF bronze really is up for grabs - and I suspect Jr Worlds bronze will be the same, with Neset/Markelov and Kudryatseva/Karankevich & Tkachenko/Kiliakov figuring into the mix somewhere.

Andrea82

Must point out that NesMark beat TkaKil in the FD today, though it wasn't enough to overcome the deficit they put themselves in from the RD. ;)

Yes, but pre-event I would have thought they would have won overall even with the issues on the twizzles in the RD.
Essentially, 4 judges (USA, Austria, Estonia and Czech Republic) had them first summing the 2 segments (all by 3-4 points).
TkaKil won because of the 3 other judges who went heavily for them.
Yuri Kliushnikov (Azerbaijan) and Segolene Duprez (France) had TkaKil ahead of 13+ points and Gyula Szombathelyi (Hungary) by 8 points. Duprez put Vainik/Barshak over Neset/Markelov.

Yuri has not been drawn for Junior Worlds. He should do Euros this season (and Women at Senior Worlds)

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Katarina DelCamp got engaged to her new partner Berk Akalin. There’s been no announcement yet which country they’re going to represent, but with this news perhaps the U.S.? 🧐

Karen-W

Katarina DelCamp got engaged to her new partner Berk Akalin. There’s been no announcement yet which country they’re going to represent, but with this news perhaps the U.S.? 🧐

I dunno... she also tagged Turkiye in her announcement, so it might be easier for her to obtain Turkish citizenship once they're married.

dancing_on_ice

Olivia Smart will be coming back to competition next season!!

She announced that she has a new partner (who she didn’t reveal). She also didn’t say for which federation.

Any speculations on unpartnered dancers in Quebec who could be Olivia’s partner 👀👀

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Olivia Smart will be coming back to competition next season!!

She announced that she has a new partner (who she didn’t reveal). She also didn’t say for which federation.

Any speculations on unpartnered dancers in Quebec who could be Olivia’s partner 👀👀

Tim Dieck?

Debbie S

If she wants to go to Milan, her best options would be Britain or Spain. Could she get German citizenship in 3 years?

Given how long she's lived in Canada, would she be able to get fast citizenship? But the Canadian dance field seems a bit crowded, even w/o G/P.

dancing_on_ice

Whoever her new partner is would presumably have an easier time getting Spanish citizenship? Considering that she and Kirill both had Spanish citizenship in time for 2018 when they only started skating for Spain in 2016, it seems that the process is relatively simple if it took less than two years. And presuming it’s still the same now, her partner could get citizenship in time for 2026.

Karen-W

Tim Dieck?
That would be my guess. He spent a considerable amount of time in Montreal this summer/fall and recently had an IG story that hinted he had news but was waiting on things to sort themselves out. It definitely left the impression that a potential country switch for him or a new partner was in the works.

Karen-W

I would think Spain.
Spain or Great Britain would be the best options - FearGib are going to ensure two spots for Great Britain at Worlds, three at Euros; but Smart/Dieck would likely be Spain #1 right out of the gate. The only hindrance I can see to that is the German fed not wanting to let Tim go, especially to Spain since they just released Kazimov to partner with Sofia Val, and they're going to be representing Spain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information