The Dance Hall 10: The Saitama Samba 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
British citizenship can only be got in 3 years with marriage to a citizen or 5 without, but you have to live there. Unless he has a British grandparent or something I’d count GB out :)

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
British citizenship can only be got in 3 years with marriage to a citizen or 5 without, but you have to live there. Unless he has a British grandparent or something I’d count GB out :)
Spain is definitely the easiest. Not only did Olivia and Kirill get citizenship in time for 2018, but Zandron got it in less than 4 months after he and Barquero earned a pairs spot for Spain at Nebelhorn last year.

coralline

4) Li/Wang did Junior and Senior competitions in the same day at Santa Claus Cup. They have a Harry Potter free dance (with a very loud "expecto patronus" voiceover at one point). The organizers got confused at one point and played the Senior music cut during the Junior segment.

If anyone is interested,here is the Harry Potter FD of Li&Wang from 2022 China FS Club League Competition. They used three voiceover spells actually, “Lumos” “Wingardium Leviosa” and “Expecto Patronum”.

https://youtu.be/3Z8bf6xeQ2I

On My Own

Andrea82

Tech Panel for GPFinal is composed by Hilary Selby, Marie-Louise Gijtenbeek and Francesca Fermi.
Referee is Jennifer Mast.

You can be delighted by Fermi's 1999 Euro performance by clicking on her name. And Gijtenbeek at Audi On Ice a decade ago.

Selby called Olympics 2018, Worlds 2022, Worlds 2021, Worlds 2016, Worlds 2013, Euros 2014, GPF 2012, GPF 2007.
Gijtenbeek called Worlds 2022,
Fermi called Olympics 2010; GPFinal 2019, GPFinal 2015, GPFinal 2007, Four Continents 2015.

Last edited:

trainingdogs82

I know Gilles & Poirier are now the favorites but I really hope and prefer Guignard & Fabbri to win the Grand Prix final. Fingers crossed. I also hope Fourner Beaudry & Sorensen can make the podium, which it looks like they actually have a chance to do.

yurokis40

I know Gilles & Poirier are now the favorites but I really hope and prefer Guignard & Fabbri to win the Grand Prix final. Fingers crossed. I also hope Fourner Beaudry & Sorensen can make the podium, which it looks like they actually have a chance to do.
Guignard and Fabri are good but there is one critical element missing in their fd actual dancing, they also skate far apart and side by side , G&P are almost constantly in hold easy decision for the judges.

trainingdogs82

Guignard and Fabri are good but there is one critical element missing in their fd actual dancing, they also skate far apart and side by side , G&P are almost constantly in hold easy decision for the judges.
Interesting point. I always thought it was Gilles & Poirier's superior charisma and on ice personality that pulled them ahead of G&F consistently.

GoneWithTheWind

Which is a shame because G/F used to skate in hold a lot in previous seasons. The trend in ice dance recently, partly influenced by I.AM, has been for more open holds and side by side skating, so I really enjoy seeing G/P's free dance using closed holds so effectively.

trainingdogs82

Which is a shame because G/F used to skate in hold a lot in previous seasons. The trend in ice dance recently, partly influenced by I.AM, has been for more open holds and side by side skating, so I really enjoy seeing G/P's free dance using closed holds so effectively.
Maybe the judges are sending a message with their scoring of G/P this season that is something they want moving forward, and the other top teams need to take note, particularly the I.AM teams.

VGThuy

Maybe the judges are sending a message with their scoring of G/P this season that is something they want moving forward, and the other top teams need to take note, particularly the I.AM teams.
While changing the construction of ice dance programs and having required elements where skaters are encouraged to skate separately and not in hold? Talk about a mixed message.

"Oh, we didn't really reward you for skating in hold and having face-to-face skating, but now that you have a program that is finally exciting, we want to tell you we are rewarding the way you used to skate...."

Oh and I just re-watched Gilles/Poirier FD and Guignard/Fabbri's back-to-back to see if they're are substantial difference in terms of closed holds and face-to-face skating, and although G/P have a great waltz section where they show off some great waltz holds, during that circular FW section, they still spent about half the time skating in open killian hold (you can drive a truck in-between them). Apart from the footwork section, there are tons of sections throughout that FD where they are posing separately and apart, mostly skate side-by-side and when they do face-to-face holds, most of the time, it's hand-to-hand and open with one section near the end that is in a closer face-to-face but it doesn't last very long. I'm not criticizing G/P, I think it's just the nature of ice dance these days. They want speed, musical expression, and outward performance...this already calls for more open skating. Add in all those choreo elements forcing skaters to skate apart and side-by-side, and the requirements to hit level 4 in the FW section, it's just what every team is doing now.

So really, G/P aren't really in much more closed hold than G/F were, except I think G/F could sprinkle in more face-to-face hold in the beginning of the program to break up all the side-by-side elements they're doing in the beginning (they display face-to-face holds in their footwork sequence...as much as teams can do while hitting the steps to get a level 4), but I bet it'll make their dance look more "traditional" and some fans won't like it as much.

Last edited:

Debbie S

I think that might be a practice dress? Mathieu Caron has a couple recent IG posts on his work on the NHK dress so I would think that's still the comp dress.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I think that might be a practice dress? Mathieu Caron has a couple recent IG posts on his work on the NHK dress so I would think that's still the comp dress.
Most of the ice dancers always wear their competition costumes for practices. I'm not sure what the plan is for ChoBat, but I do like these better than what they wore at NHK.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Well the Golden Spin RD results are quite something. The new team of Zingas/Kolesnik ahead of the Georgians, Germans, Aussies and Pate/Bye?

US Nats dance is going to be crazy. Not to mention our other new team, Flores and partner (still waiting for release?)

litenkyckling

Well the Golden Spin RD results are quite something. The new team of Zingas/Kolesnik ahead of the Georgians, Germans, Aussies and Pate/Bye?

US Nats dance is going to be crazy. Not to mention our other new team, Flores and partner (still waiting for release?)
You do have to wonder if Igor totally favours Z/K over P/B. I think P/B didn’t have a clean skate but regardless - I think Igor will politik more for his JWC here especially when up against a team that left him. I so wish we’d had a stream here!!

muffinplus

Evita is just a much more judge friendly program than what G/F are doing.. And it's really good character acting from both Piper and Paul. But Piper's skating quality honestly still looks ...very clunky and just lacks smoothness? Good for G/P but judges are marking them this high because they are the number 1 Canadian team and everyone else is kind of gone. I don't even think F/B-S are a worse team at this point, they simply don't have the status yet even though their stock is going up.

deegee

Evita is just a much more judge friendly program than what G/F are doing.. And it's really good character acting from both Piper and Paul. But Piper's skating quality honestly still looks ...very clunky and just lacks smoothness? Good for G/P but judges are marking them this high because they are the number 1 Canadian team and everyone else is kind of gone. I don't even think F/B-S are a worse team at this point, they simply don't have the status yet even though their stock is going up.
g/f could make their skating skills more convincing if charlene would just get down into her knees more. it would also mitigate some of the bias about their lack of size difference at least a little bit so his head isn't always just slightly below hers. bc in reality he is taller than she is, but his knee bend is much better rn.

deegee

The scoring today is kind of, all over the place. Gilles / Poirier are leading with the worst levels...
yeah, the result was super confusing after watching the ticker in the corner of the screen.

angi

The scoring today is kind of, all over the place. Gilles / Poirier are leading with the worst levels...
That's how ice dance have been scored for a while, all about GOEs and PCS. G/P got first here on PCS lead and the GOE on their character dance steps - both completely subjectively evaluated.
I felt the only team who attacked the RD today was C/B, the rest felt flat to me. Still, it feels like the scores could have gone in so many different directions given how close it was, and once again I just wish technical levels had a much higher impact than they currently have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information