The 2024 Total Solar Eclipse Thread

annie720

Good luck to anyone going! My son and daughter will be near Rochester. One was going to drive back to Philly tomorrow after dropping off someone at the airport, and decided instead to stay with her brother in Ithaca, and drive back late Tuesday. I can't imagine what traffic will be like.

alexikeguchi

Cloud cover will be significant in most of Texas, but I am still going to try to drive about 3+ hours to Waco. I've been busy rounding on inpatients and covering half my department during a major conference for the past few days, and I am looking forward to getting away from my phone and email even if I don't get the world's best view. But you never know with TX weather, I may get lucky!

Parsley Sage

I'm at 100% totality here. I have glasses for me and one pair to use on my phone to try and take some pictures.

I work just off the highway heading to Niagara. I'm glad tomorrow is a work from home day. I did suggest to one of my co-workers that we charge people to watch from our parking lot.

Badams

I am in the 100% totality zone. I will work but try to leave early. Shouldn't be too difficult to skip out early. Since I work less than a mile from home, traffic should be cake. It's always cake here in my Podunk village. If I see another car, I might be shocked. The kids are off of school. They extended Easter break for the eclipse. I'm not even sure I will see another human besides my family watching. Now if we could only get rid of these clouds.

skategal

Bunny mama
We are at 80 or 90% totality here, I think. I plan on watching from my backyard or possibly a park down the street.
Same. It's actually sunny here today which is almost shocking considering our weather the past few weeks. So I'll watch.

DS has the glasses from school.

I am LOLing though at the news anchors saying this is a "once in a lifetime event." This will be my second time. And I plan to still be here in 2044. :lol:

Parsley Sage

My city won't experience another total eclipse for 120 years. There will be some partial eclipses or some where we won't be in the path of totality so this is it for me.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Cloud cover will be significant in most of Texas, but I am still going to try to drive about 3+ hours to Waco. I've been busy rounding on inpatients and covering half my department during a major conference for the past few days, and I am looking forward to getting away from my phone and email even if I don't get the world's best view. But you never know with TX weather, I may get lucky!
I live in Northwestern Louisiana. There will be 96.5% totality in my town, but we're also having a problem of cloud cover. There is a possible chance of a cloud break during the time of totality here. All we can do is cross our fingers, and good luck to everyone that lives in the line of totality! I won't be able to get outside, but I figure it will be pretty dark here. I also think all the animals will be freaking out during that time! Birds will be chirping, and other wildlife in the area will probably not understand. :lol:

I'll be watching on the local ABC channel and my NASA app.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I just used the link that @Cachoo provided. According to it, there will be 97% totality. However, it's showing 60 to 80% cloudiness. That's not good at all! This won't happen for another 20 years. That means I'll be 85 years old! Good Grief! :lol:

Edited to add this portion of the article.

The unlucky ones who find themselves under an overcast sky during the eclipse will still notice a sudden plunge into darkness as the moon passes in front of the sun, Mr. Anderson said. But they won’t be able to see all the details of the eclipse — the shadow bands, the diamond ring, the sun’s corona.

So, we will notice the darkness.

Last edited:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Gorgeous sunny day here with blue blue skies... but only 45% here so I won't even bother :lol:

sk8pics

I am LOLing though at the news anchors saying this is a "once in a lifetime event." This will be my second time. And I plan to still be here in 2044. :lol:
Maybe they’re referring to the totality part of it? There can be an eclipse where you are, but maybe not as much coverage of the sun.

I’m going to get my walk in before 2 pm so that I can wander into the backyard periodically to watch. I have eclipse glasses from the last time.

quartz

scratching at the light
It’s starting to be blue sky and some sun coming through the clouds west and south of me, which is my viewing direction. My 2:00 appointment should end with enough time to see most of the eclipse, which is to be around 3:15 here.

Amy L

Houston is overcast and sprinkling rain, so we're probably not going to get to see much. That didn't stop my inlaws & several of my husband's coworkers to declare that the apocalypse is nigh. :rolleyes: And of course it will all start in Houston, because why wouldn't an apocalypse choose a non-totality eclipse area with no visibility? You'd think the apocalypse would find a more dramatic start but nah

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
Maybe they’re referring to the totality part of it? There can be an eclipse where you are, but maybe not as much coverage of the sun.

I’m going to get my walk in before 2 pm so that I can wander into the backyard periodically to watch. I have eclipse glasses from the last time.

That's my understanding. I have glasses from a partial eclipse in 2017, I think I first heard about the upcoming 2024 event back then and was already crossing fingers re. weather. Clear skies so far... :D

quartz

scratching at the light
The husband just came back from the two closest beaches to us, Port Stanley (8miles) and Port Bruce (16 miles) and says the traffic flowing in is super busy already. Lots of campers, and people set up with tents and stuff on the beaches. Cops everywhere and road closures started.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Only 22% totality here in seattle and it’s raining and super cloudy here anyway so… 🙅🏼‍♀️

But those of you who get to see it - enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information