Anne Line Gjersem retiring

S

SmallFairy

I have decided Anne Line deserves her own thread, as she has done so much for Norwegian and Scandinavian skating. Together with her twin sister she put Norway back on the skating map, made media start writing about skating and our tv channel start broadcasting from championships again. She developed a beautiful style and skated lots of lovely programs, and kept pushing her technical content as well, landing 3,3s and getting the 3f. Today she posted a long post on her Facebook page saying the skating chapter of her life is over:

https://www.facebook.com/annelinecamillagjersem/?ref=br_rs

"What a journey! It has been an honor to represent my country at the world stage and to become an Olympian in 2014. When I think of my skating career I will remember the joy of performing, the good trainings and the wonderful people. I’m beyond grateful for all the opportunities skating has given me.

I feel fortunate to been doing what I love for so many years, and to share my passion with my twin sister Camilla. There are so many people who made the skating experience truly amazing. I will always be thankful for the massive support my parents has provided, my wonderful coaches Ela Magnusson and Laco Vince. Fokus Rådgivning and Eckbo Legat for the financial support.

Dear team, friends, family and followers I would like to thank you for the support you've shown me through the years. You have made the journey incredibly special. This chapter is closing, but I’m excited to see and experience what else life has to offer.
Love, love, love to you all."

I'm not at all suprised, as Anne Line is engaged to Lucas Helgesson (bro of Vicky and Joshi) and I'm sure she's ready to finish her engineering studies and start a family life with him.

I have lots of great skating memories from Anne Line, the highlight must be the Olympic season 2014, where she first beat a whole bunch of skaters at Nebelhorn to qualify for Sochi, as the first Norwegian female skater in 64 years. (Add to it she really had to fight with our narrow minded Olympic comitee to be able to go). Then she made the FS at the OG with her sister as an expert commentator at the tv broadcasting, crying with joy in the studio. That was so fab!

I also loved her Celine Dion SP Fly. That season she and Helery Hälvin of Estonia had chosen the excact same music and at Euros they joked about them drawing starting orders right after each other. Of course they did:lol:

Not to mention she and Camilla are the totally nicest girls, so sweet and big idols for all the young Norwegian skating girls.

Thanks for all the great skating Anne Line! You rock big time! :respec:

PS I belive Camilla is continuing, she is teasing about new programs, but I don't have 100% accurate info

nimi

I have lots of great skating memories from Anne Line, the highlight must be the Olympic season 2014, where she first beat a whole bunch of skaters at Nebelhorn to qualify for Sochi, as the first Norwegian female skater in 64 years. (Add to it she really had to fight with our narrow minded Olympic comitee to be able to go).
Wow. I didn't know this! :respec:

I do remember Finnish commentators cheering for Anne Line (and Viktoria) for repping the Nordic skaters at Olympics, as no Finnish skaters qualified that year.

+1 on wishing her all the best!

MsZem

I see the sea
I have lots of great skating memories from Anne Line, the highlight must be the Olympic season 2014, where she first beat a whole bunch of skaters at Nebelhorn to qualify for Sochi, as the first Norwegian female skater in 64 years. (Add to it she really had to fight with our narrow minded Olympic comitee to be able to go). Then she made the FS at the OG with her sister as an expert commentator at the tv broadcasting, crying with joy in the studio. That was so fab!
Thanks for sharing the news!

Just a small correction: Anne Line was the first figure skater to represent Norway at the Olympics since 1964, not the first one in 64 years. It was a very nice achievement for her, and it was great to see her accomplishing her goal of qualifying for the free skate. Good luck to her as she pursues new goals :)

S

SmallFairy

Thanks @nimi I messed up the 64! :lol: It was 50 years, still quite a while.

Anne Line was also the first Norwegian skater to compete in the GP! Lots of great achievements.

binbinwinwin

I loved her 2013-14 SP to Maria and the Violin's String and I remember voting for her to win a sponsorship contract in 2016 for which she eventually won. All the best to her in the future!

snoopysnake

I was thrilled to be able to see my maternal country's skater in 2016 in Boston. (That was me yelling, "Jeg likke Norge" I wish she'd made it out of the SP more often but it was great to have her to root for. Good luck in the the future, Anne-Line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information