The Total Solar Eclipse

Susan1

It goes down +10* when it rains, and back up an hour after. It didn't get any darker here. The sun that was left got brighter and the shadows got deeper

Looked out the front door right now. So different than yesterday. The sun is behind the house and the driveway is in normal sun and the shadows of the house and shrubs are the usual gray. Yesterday they were black!

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
@skatesindreams - I'm one who has been criticized for making comments about all the hoopla.

Mine was NOT that it was no big deal, it was cool to see. I understand how amazing it was. That was not my comments here and on Facebook

It was about the non stop minute by minute weather reports starting 10 days before the event. Trying to tell us the exact minute the rain would stop. The 100,000s people traveling to Beatrice, Nebraska and the never ending interviews. On the 6:30 pm news last night, people were still in line to get on the shuttle buses to get back to their cars.

From last Thursday newscasts until this evening news, there was very little other information reported, despite several car accident deaths and Trump's press conference and UP laying off a number (I think 200) employees. Only eclipse stories. I was stuck with All In with Chris Hayes, Rachel Maddow, AM Joy that my husband watches or solar eclipse coverage.

From what I understand, the one in 7 years will be longer in time span.

I will be slammed for voicing my opinion, but it was really, really crazy here. Going out to eat on Friday night was simply impossible.

PDilemma

@skatesindreams -
I will be slammed for voicing my opinion, but it was really, really crazy here. Going out to eat on Friday night was simply impossible.

We went to the Omaha zoo on Sunday with some friends who travelled from Minnesota for it. We were glad to see them and enjoyed the zoo, but it was so packed there were exhibits you could barely move in. And the cars were almost all from non-totality states, so I have no doubt that caused the crowding there, too. It is always crowded on weekends in summer, but this was probably twice as many people as a typical one. (And we have a membership and are there often enough to have an idea).
It was totally crazy around here, as you said, from about Friday on.

ballettmaus

modern_muslimah

Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank
It was amazing to see! We had 80% totality. I first used a pinhole viewer to see the eclipse and I thought that was awesome. Then a coworker let me use her glasses (my co-workers are awesome! They shared their glasses with others who didn't have them) and seeing the actual eclipse was incredible!

PDilemma

I didn't think that the media attention was inappropriate for a natural phenomenon which is rarely seen in the US; and deserves to be more appreciated for its' scientific significance , IMO.

Others may disagree, of course.
No one forces someone to pay attention to coverage of any "event".

Coverage is not inappropriate. Not covering anything else for a week is a bit much and that is what it was like here. It is still covering the news pages --couple got married, woman took weird selfie, Bill Nye! Bill Nye! Bill Nye! (yes, thank you, Bill Nye was in the state, I heard 4500 times before he even got here, but keep telling us).

Moto Guzzi

100% totality where I was--on Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas eclipse cruise. DNCE did a pre-eclipse concert and then Bonnie Tyler came out and sang Total Eclipse of the Heart. After the concert, I sat on the helipad and drank champagne and watched through my eclipse glasses.

Moto Guzzi

My friend and I are so glad we did this cruise. Some people booked it at least a year earlier before it was changed to an eclipse cruise in June. Royal Caribbean dropped one of the planned ports and changed the itinerary to head to a location where there would be totality. My friend saw an article about it in a cruise newsletter and sent me the link. I found a great sale and we were booked within 24 hours. We decided to book a balcony overlooking the boardwalk near the stern. As the cruise received more publicity, prices started going up substantially. The week before we left, only a few inner cabins were available and they were going for double the rate per person that we paid for both of us in a balcony. :eek:

A meteorologist was on board to work with the navigator for the best location without cloud coverage. When we reached a good location, the ship came to a stop and turned so we weren't bouncing around so much from the wind. I had received an invitation to a party on the helipad offered to people of a certain cruise level and that's how I ended up drinking free champagne in an uncrowded location.

On our first night, my friend and I went to one of the shops and bought an eclipse t-shirt. They were completely sold out the next morning. For some odd reason, RCI ordered only 300 of the shirts and had over 6,000 passengers on board (even with that many people, we never felt crowded because the Oasis is huge). There were many angry people in the shop who wanted one. Our first port of call was St. Maarten and RCI flew in a special order of 500 more shirts. At $20 each, one would think they would have had at least 1,000 available when we set sail; I'm sure they would have sold out.

The day after the concert we were near the carousel and saw Bonnie Tyler finishing up a photo session. She saw us and came over and talked with us for a while. She's very nice with an energetic personality. We also met DNCE; they were riding the carousel. Fun people.

Moto Guzzi

Yes. RCI promoted her appearance in articles before the cruise and announced on board that she would be singing Total Eclipse during the eclipse. Large media presence on board filming. RCI set aside a number of seats for them during the concert. We heard from quite a few friends that they had seen the coverage on TV. Despite the announcements, some people on board seemed unaware that there was a concert. After we met DNCE, a woman asked me who they were. I told her and mentioned the concert and she said, "What concert?"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information