Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir : Just For Us # 45

Alexandria

Ok this is going to be my frank opinion. When I first saw the practice clips I wasn't really feeling the program TBH that's why I didn't really comment on the program itself. Today the first part of the program worked for me and I loved the intensity of it. Now, the second part they need to alter it to make it more…impactful, especially the ending. I get what they're going for in the ending because they're trying to replicate the death scene and it's supposed to be emotional, but that's not coming across to me. I think it would be better it then ended with the climax of the song. I want to know what you guys think especially of the ending.

I've seen a complete split on the ending from fans, some wanting it to end on a climax like you and others loving what they did. My first impression in practice, before seeing other opinions, was to love love love the ending. I think it goes against expectations, takes a bit of a risk and I like that. You also need super strong skaters and performers to pull it off. That said, I do think they have to completely sell and be "on" for this ending to work so they may not be there in their first try. I think they will get there.

princeton123

I love Scott but he needs to turn it down a notch or ten, especially if he feels like Tessa isn't there with him emotionally. He was giving too much on his own in this one.

(I felt the same way about Tessa last year at ACI during their Prince SD. Early season kinks I guess)

martyross

i think they wanted to tell the whole story and the ending is the key, actually. all that passion and love for each other, that they believe will go on for years, just ends in nothing. it looks like a program about love, it turns out it's about the shock of losing your beloved just when you thought that that love had overcome all the obstacles and thus had a long future ahead. that's why the regret is so strong, and that's why i thought of Romeo and Juliet.

randomsplashes

I loved that the commentators mentioned how V/M drew in the crowd, how it was so quiet in the beginning with the atmosphere like an "intimate conversation" and seeing the audience being entranced by the beauty and story in the skating. I wish I could've been there to see that!

Judy

Yay that worked. Yah the live stream worked for me but every time a YouTube was posted it had a video not available on it. I am on an iPad but I've never had problems before?

I thought it was amazing and didn't pick up on disconnect. And Scott was great I don't think he should ever hold back ... and vice versa. This will be amazing by the Olympics and should be an exciting competition. The time difference will suck though!

Thanks for posting the videos for me!!!!

chapis

Ok this is going to be my frank opinion. When I first saw the practice clips I wasn't really feeling the program TBH that's why I didn't really comment on the program itself. Today the first part of the program worked for me and I loved the intensity of it. Now, the second part they need to alter it to make it more…impactful, especially the ending. I get what they're going for in the ending because they're trying to replicate the death scene and it's supposed to be emotional, but that's not coming across to me. I think it would be better it then ended with the climax of the song. I want to know what you guys think especially of the ending.

yes, in the original song https://youtu.be/-YsMvzgeSuI?t=272 it does not end with all that slow music, it ended in a climax, they should use it, we all will understand that she died.

iggie

i'm okay with the ending. in the movie, come what may is done, the lovers are reunited, the climax is over, the performance is done, the curtains have closed, they're preparing to give their bows, satine faints and collapses into chris's arms and he holds her -- and the mood just suddenly turns dark and painful (contrasted by the adoring applause on the other side of the curtain). chris then sobs as she dies ten seconds later and the entire crew looks on in horror and sorrow. you can watch the death scene here and here in full

Last edited:

Sonata

Exquisite dancing! So sharp!

Not seeing much negative on goldenskate forums, seems they are commenting more on the choice of music.

I'd agree that the arrangement at the end needs to be stronger. Not quite dramatic enough - it either has to go for big and loud or so fragile that the only sound I should be hearing is my muffled sobs.
And I'm not at muffled sobs yet.

But past experience tells me they find a way of finding the right ending during the season. Examples: Mahler horizontal embrace or Carmen sensual hold.

supergirl573

Walked into a restaurant to pickup some food I ordered and Sympathy for the Devil. When I was hold putting in the order, the original version of The Sound of Silence was playing

Goody2shoes

Not bad for a first outing :) I had opportunity to just watch the first practice FD. Though they skated well today, I somehow felt more emotional connection to the program when she was wearing the blue dress and Scott in black doing this FD. (This especially when she does the Tango part). I know, silly right? Or maybe just got vibes that they were nervous?? And where is that hand movement (i.e. at Prince lift) from HPC? Love that subtle graceful hand gesture ...

Not that I don't love ending (I do) but it needs to be a little more softer transition going into pose. (Story is character dies slowly right?) But it's like Tessa is propped by Scott into a dying pose. I don't know how to explain.

Just like someone commented this program has great bones and it could be better (and I believe it will). More hard on tango parts, and keep up with the soft parts soft.

Zazy

They didn't have the best skate today, unfortunately.

I doubt I'll ever like this program - especially with the horrid tacky music - somehow it feels really juniorish. But if that's what they wanted to end their careers on, then I hope they can have their magic moment at the Olympics with it. And I hope they tackle something with a little more depth and nuance in their show programs. It's hard to believe this is in all likelihood their last FD!

Shayii

I'll post more thoughts later because I have to head out now, but I think the practice costumes worked so much better for this FD, I think I even prefer the blue color now too. It adds a certain modernity to the program.

Rafter

I'll post more thoughts later because I have to head out now, but I think the practice costumes worked so much better for this FD, I think I even prefer the blue color now too. It adds a certain modernity to the program.

I completely agree. I think the sleeves and overall tight/sleek fit of the blue costume just show off her arm/body movements/posture so much better.

Scott needs a haircut desperately.

Maddie Sparks

Tessa mentioned that they felt the FD was a lot more prepared than the SD coming into this comp, so I think they probably just had more pressure on themselves to deliver.

The El Tango part is so strong already, although they seemed to get pretty far apart in the last set of twizzles.

I think they just need to get more speed and power behind the Come What May section. I'd also like to see them change their ending pose, because I don't think it works with Tessa still in a standing position when she's supposed to be dead.

Also count me in as another person who preferred their practice outfits. I loved the black turtleneck on Scott, and I think that vibrant blue looked gorgeous on Tessa and I liked the more contemporary feel it gave the program as a whole.

randomsplashes

Post-FD interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_e5au1Lm1c
Awe, Tessa and Scott look disappointed with their performance but they said that they're going to keep refining the program. You can tell how much they love this FD so there's no doubt they're going to make this program even better. I'm curious to see what changes will be made when we see them again at Skate Canada :)

gk_891

I don't care for the music, especially the vocalist. But it's still very early in the season so it'll be interesting to see how this program looks when the Olympics come around.

forthewin

I think MR will be a masterpiece and iconic number for V/M. It just needs mileage. I'm sure it will be more perfect at SC.
About the end, I didn't feel it at practice, but seeing the whole program it actually makes sense to me. They show she starts to fade in the choreography at the end, and then she dies in his arm. So it's gradually leading to the ending. I'm OK with that.

Vera Costa

I like the choreography and that's all I hoped from this outing. There's work to be done on it, of course, especially the 'Come What May' part. One thing I've noticed is that with the Tango at the beginning, there's a lot that hinges on the performance. If they miss out on selling the first half, that will make the entire program look a little flat. Their movements have been choreographed to follow the music with precision. Something went wrong in the beginning that threw Tessa off.

They did look far better in practice I think. That third set of twizzles had a larger gap between them then I've seen before. They didn't have that issue in practice. I do love, however, how the twizzles sequence starts at one end of the rink and ends at the other. Actually, the entirety of 'Roxanne' is wonderfully choreographed IMO. They need to find a way to connect it to Come What May better, else it ends up feeling like two different programs.

If they can build this program to its full potential, I think we'll all get that masterpiece we all want. The pieces for it are all there. I think VM knew it didn't go the way they wanted it to as well. They didn't look entirely satisfied in the K&C.

As for the costumes, I would like to see Tessa in red, but then Scott needs to bee in black. The red with the gray against the white ice, makes them look a little peaky. Not a look you want for this program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information