Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir : Just For Us # 45

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Well I give the choices two thumbs up at this point. I couldn't imagine what they should skate to and I think with MR they can give everyone a little taste of what they like if done right.

Zazy

I'm sure Moulin Rouge will work for them because it works for everybody. But this choice feels like an overreaction to 2014. They also run the risk of looking "cheap" and unsophisticated compared to P/C. They're not competing against D/W anymore!

Skaters like Ashley or W/P, who struggle with showing genuine emotion, are perfect for this kind of theatrical OTT music. With V/M, though, showing depth, nuance, genuine emotion, is one of their greatest strengths. When they try to go for this kind of stuff (like the "Latch" part of their FD last year), they come across as trying too hard. I really don't understand the thinking behind going for MR, except wanting to be uber-safe.

Well I give the choices two thumbs up at this point. I couldn't imagine what they should skate to and I think with MR they can give everyone a little taste of what they like if done right.

What if I strongly dislike the whole soundtrack? Honestly, two years in a row of basically my worst nightmare. Maybe V/M are telling me to go uber another team... :wall:

VarBar

Sympathy for the Devil

Wow, sooo cool.:D I'm thrilled, it's really an awesome choice of music. Can't wait to see what the team behind them has produced choreographically.

Never been a huge fan of Moulin Rouge but if there's someone who can make me fall in love with that music, it's definitely Tessa and Scott. And it's good music anyway.

Rafter

Loving the SD choice, not loving the FD choice. But maybe they'll surprise like they did with Carmen.

I do think it's a good strategy not to come out skating to similar to Latch or Mahler/Seasons.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
What if I strongly dislike the whole soundtrack? Honestly, two years in a row of basically my worst nightmare. Maybe V/M are telling me to go uber another team... :wall:

Lol, I don't know how you want me to answer that. I didn't mean to suggest that everyone should find a song in the soundtrack they will enjoy but rather to suggest that with the choice of FD they can show any or all of the following to give fans a little bit of what they want: a tango, a love story, a bit of sass and a bit of corniness etc.... It's a story/soundtrack where they can show a lot while doing what they do best, tell a story.

They were never going to please everyone. Some of the suggestions I saw people give them made my skin crawl so I accept and acknowledge that I am selfishly enjoying these revelations more than others. I'm going to enjoy the season :D

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I was really looking forward to V&M's return, especially with their claimed focus on showing their artistry. Then, they give us Latch and Moulin Rouge :wall:.

(At least we got that Prince SD...)

suki

I'm sure Moulin Rouge will work for them because it works for everybody. But this choice feels like an overreaction to 2014. They also run the risk of looking "cheap" and unsophisticated compared to P/C. They're not competing against D/W anymore!

:blah:

jenji124

I'm remembering a similar kind of reaction when the rumors of Carmen were floating around and then confirmed. Carmen is regarded as one of their greatest fd's if not the greatest by many people.

Can we just wait and see what songs and how it will play out before already trashing the idea :rolleyes:

martyross

all right. it's Aug. 29th, no one has seen one step of the free dance and it has already received alla sort of definitive judgements. we're done for this season, dear skating fans. i sincerely bow to those who can describe something they haven't seen.

Shayii

Thank you @jenji124 ! C'mon people can we at least see the programs first before condemning them and their choices ugh. I think there's a reason Tessa hoped they could debut the programs at the same time they released the music. Whatever this is their last season and I'm going to enjoy it.

Zazy

Lol, I don't know how you want me to answer that.
I was just venting. Sorry!

It's a story/soundtrack where they can show a lot while doing what they do best, tell a story.
And again, I disagree. How many times have V/M's programs told a clear story? Funny Face, maybe Carmen. And the great thing about Carmen wasn't the storytelling.
They "tell a story" from their movements, their interpretation of the music, the emotions they create, not by acting out a story from a movie/opera. They don't need the crutch of a predefined storyline, or any clear storyline at all. Their SD last year didn't have one, as far as I could tell, and it was great!

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I found all their FD´s told a story. Except maybe Pink Floyd, that was just cool. Oh and latin FD, that was just dance, but the rest of them from Umbrellas onward did.

Zazy

I found all their FD´s told a story.
There was some kind of story going on but it wasn't particularly clear what it was and that didn't matter at all! The story wasn't "the best thing" about the programs, that's for sure. W/P are a theatrical team, V/M are all about musicality, connection and pure dance. For me, their best programs are the ones that show off these qualities.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
There was some kind of story going on but it wasn't particularly clear what it was and that didn't matter at all! The story wasn't "the best thing" about the programs, that's for sure. W/P are a theatrical team, V/M are all about musicality, connection and pure dance. For me, their best programs are the ones that show off these qualities.

I don't even think we are talking about the same thing anymore when we talk about story so I'm out. Hopefully you can find another team to uber so this doesn't cause you anymore pain ;)

Cherub721

YEAH!
I can't help but feel like they've handicapped themselves a bit with this choice, and that's concerning. I find myself wishing that some of the other choices I've heard for other teams were theirs... but if anyone can come out and defy all expectations, it would be V&M. I wish they wouldn't have put themselves in that position but they are good enough that they can make something out of it, and there's so many different choices on that soundtrack to play with.

double runner

To muddy the situation, there are two volumes of the soundtrack so let's just wait and see what the program actually looks like. It's amazing how people have already made up their minds without knowing what songs were selected. The FD can look very different if they selected the Tango piece or a softer, kinder song like Come What May.

a12553

I think it's a perfect choice! I would be happy to watch something bright, about love and emotions, after three seasons of we watched so often... And continue 4th. I think it's good opportunity to be not "like others" in Olympic season, and they can do it :) so can't wait for a programs!

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
I think the SD choice is really neat, but the FD, :blah: I am not impressed. I am sure it will be a great program but they can do so much better. They are capable of so much more. A bit disappointed tbh.

I hope the SD stretches them like Pink Floyd did.

Shayii

I understand people might not be a fan of MR and I would be a hypocrite if I say I loved the idea right away, but it's like people think it's going to be crap without even seeing it. I don't know but it makes me sad a bit; people always want more from them, more more more, but it seems to never be enough at times. I hope we get info from HPC tomorrow that sheds more light on their programs.

sap5

I understand people might not be a fan of MR and I would be a hypocrite if I say I loved the idea right away, but it's like people think it's going to be crap without even seeing it. I don't know but it makes me sad a bit; people always want more from them, more more more, but it seems to never be enough at times. I hope we get info from HPC tomorrow that sheds more light on their programs.

It makes me happy that people are like that tbh, because it means most everyone believes they are capable of so much. You almost never hear "VM won't be able to pull that off;" it's almost always "VM can do better than that." The fact that so many people (even non-fans of the team) feel that way is an incredible compliment, a testament to their ability, and a reflection of their history of trying new things and succeeding. People always want to see what else they can do.

And it's not true that people are never satisfied; look at how many people are loving the SD choice!

manhn

I youtubed W&P's fd: Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend, Come What May, and Roxanne.

I think they may use Roxanne from above. I would love them to use the Heros portion of Elephant Love Story. The Show Must Go On can also be used to represent their comeback.

I think this can be a real showcase for Scott, Ewan's character was so expressive and openfaced.

manhn

MR seems like the exact type of movie Tessa would love. What would suggest otherwise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information