Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir : Just For Us # 45

The Accordion

One of the many things circulating is that both P and C and V and M chose their own music - so if that is true - then I guess they chose it? I think it is a smart decision. It is so truly different from what they are known for - and even different from the free dances those who say they are limited always seem to forget. Combined with the short dance choice, I think it is a smart pairing and I am so much more excited than what I had resigned myself to- that they were going to skate to something much more in the vein of last year's freedance. I enjoyed it very much, but didn't want their last season to feel like more of the same - though I would have made up my mind to enjoy every performance of it anyway.

chapis

MR seems like the exact type of movie Tessa would love. What would suggest otherwise?

It's just that, except for Carmen, it seemed to me that in the last years they were not the kind of skaters to choose a warhorse piece. Maybe that is the reason to choose it, although that season they did not get so good results, their Carmen is one of the most praised programs.

forthewin

Let me be dramatic for a minute. Why do they always knock out the park with their SD ideas but not with FDs? Why? Why? Why? Sochi, last year and now this year. They're really more than that.

Venting over. Now I can wait and see their new programs. Woo woo!

princeton123

I don't know why people keep bringing up Weaver/Poje like Moulin Rouge is a signature piece of theirs? That FD was ghastly and incoherent and is better lost to memory.

forthewin

I don't know why people keep bringing up Weaver/Poje like Moulin Rouge is a signature piece of theirs? That FD was ghastly and incoherent and is better lost to memory.
I wish V/M fans would stop sniping about P/C, it's so old and condescending. We haven't even seen their programs yet, calm down.
I can't help pointing it out. How doubt standard can you be? People casually mentioned WP. So what? Yet you are dishing WP the way you don't wanna see with PC.

princeton123

I can't help pointing it out. How doubt standard can you be? People casually mentioned WP. So what? Yet you are dishing WP the way you don't wanna see with PC.

Because we're actually talking about Moulin Rouge right now? Some of you bring up P/C when virtually nothing warrants a comparison.

forthewin

Because we're actually talking about Moulin Rouge right now? Some of you bring up P/C when virtually nothing warrants a comparison.
I don't wanna continue this convo because that will hijack this thread. But I hope you can realize how ridiculous you sound sometimes. Can you even understand what people say? Or you just hear what you wanna hear?

Anyway I feel bad to muddy the thread. Let's talk about VM now. Can't wait for HPC.

Emilia12

It's their least successful FD of the past 8 years, yet nobody done MR better than they did, and it is their breakout program.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I just think Moulin Rouge feels.... Cheap? Especially for an Olympic year. I'll be happy to be proven wrong, though - I wasn't keen on umbrellas 10 years ago either. This at least is quite unexpected for them.

And it's still got to be 100 times better than Seasons. ;)

I can't help but wish their last FD was something better though, especially seeing what other teams are attempting. Like Vocalise, etc.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Just something to ponder but if they had chosen what many consider Olympic worthy music they would have been panned for doing a trilogy. If you are all honest with yourselves you know it's true. People told them "don't do a trilogy", Scott flat out said he didn't come back to do a trilogy. We already know what a program to that sort of music will look like, we have seen enough variety over the years to know how they move to different types of music. There is one area I would like to see them explore more and in my imagination I might get that with MR. No matter how cheap it seems to people. Just as Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor took a risk doing that movie it paid off and I have faith it will for V/M as well.

forthewin

Alright. If I am totally honest, I want them to do a dramatic piece, in form of ballet. That's the only number they never did, and I just know they could be better than anyone else at this. Do you know how many years we have to wait for another team with outstanding musicality, genuine acting skills, brilliant ballet form and sizzling chemistry to pull that off? I'm not even sure there will be another.

pani

Alright. If I am totally honest, I want them to do a dramatic piece, in form of ballet. That's the only number they never did, and I just know they could be better than anyone else at this. Do you know how many years we have to wait for another team with outstanding musicality, genuine acting skills, brilliant ballet form and sizzling chemistry to pull that off? I'm not even sure there will be another.
For example?

sap5

Just something to ponder but if they had chosen what many consider Olympic worthy music they would have been panned for doing a trilogy. If you are all honest with yourselves you know it's true. People told them "don't do a trilogy", Scott flat out said he didn't come back to do a trilogy. We already know what a program to that sort of music will look like, we have seen enough variety over the years to know how they move to different types of music. There is one area I would like to see them explore more and in my imagination I might get that with MR. No matter how cheap it seems to people. Just as Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor took a risk doing that movie it paid off and I have faith it will for V/M as well.

I think you're using a rather broad definition for what fits into the "trilogy." There is a lot of Olympic worthy music that doesn't have to be "trilogy" music, and for me, the music isn't even what really defines the "trilogy." I think its more the idea of doing a generic love story to classical music.

So from that perspective, I do like that they're doing a character-driven FD. The problem for me is that it's Moulin Rouge. For one thing, I don't like the film or music (although the second soundtrack sounds better to me than the first). But what really attracts me to V/M's skating is the subtlety and purity in their movement, and their ability to draw out the subtleties and special qualities in a piece of music (whether it be classical or something like Prince). Moulin Rouge's OTT drama doesn't seem to be the best music to show those abilities off. Of course, I have no idea what pieces they have chosen, so perhaps all my worry is for naught. But that's just my initial reaction.

Last edited:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Well some people think they have skated the same FD the last 10 years so I don't think I'm using a very broad definition ;) My point is when V/M skate to classical or lyrical music some people just see another generic love story (which, btw, Seasons wasn't meant to be).

Oh well. I am excited and so so glad they didn't choose music that a lot of their fans suggested that would have been just another "generic love story" and am happy they are doing something different.

cris

For example?

To interfere, I would have liked Onegin. Or Anna Karenina. If Zoueva had had even the tiniest consideration for them in Sochi, one of those would have been her logical choice.
Even Mayerling, perhaps.
But, speaking of warhorses. I've always thought they are perfect for Swan Lake.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
You and I both know that those people will think "Moulin Rouge" will be the 11th year of skating the same FD. ;)

Well yes, but they would look as stupid arguing that as they did when they did it to Latin SD, Pink Floyd, Carmen etc..

elisa_p

Hi Everyone
Long time lurker and huge fan of VM and first time poster. So it looks like the SD music cuts are Sympathy for the Devil/Hotel California(eagles) and You and I (Santana). I'm still trying to imagine how they're managing to make this work! I feel like if done right it might be brilliant?

VGThuy

Like everything, this will depend on the edit, but I can see it working really well for them.

manhn

I always thought Scott didn't put much input into the music, he did whatever Tessa and/or their coach wanted.

VGThuy

Looking at their interests on their website, I can see Tessa being the more passionately creative one of the two with Scott going with it and then working hard to sell it after the decision is made. However, it seems he and Tessa feel strongly about Moulin Rouge.

elisa_p

It seems like they really love skating to MR so I'm really happy to hear that. I'm not sold on it yet personally but I'd rather have them skate to a piece of music that's special to them rather than cater to my preferences (which would have been a ballet). I feel like they really struggled to find a connection to Seasons so if they already have one with MR then I feel like we're half way there because I know how well they can skate to music they love and really make a moment out of it. And honestly that's all I can ask for in Olympic year.
Plus their FD's never turn out like what I have in my mind (which is a good thing!) so I'll just wait patiently to see it in it's entirety!

chantilly

T and S couldn't really do a ballet with P and C around.
It would put them in direct comparison.
Not saying they would lose in a side by side comparison, it's just I don't feel it'd be wise for many reasons.
If they feel MR is special, then I'm happy.
Also don't think Scott takes much of a backseat in general. That is not my impression of his personality.
I think he agreed to do FF because it was so special to Tessa, but I feel certain he speaks his mind about most aspects of their programmes.

Alexandria

I honestly can't think of a piece of music for their FD that the majority would be thrilled with. They're so versatile that everyone has different preferences from them. I think choosing music for the SD is easier because it's shorter and more technical with less of a story so I'm not surprised we're more easily satisfied there.

One of the things that annoys me about ice dance is that fans judge placements based on how much they like the music or program when all of that is so subjective, even if it's natural to do. It can't be called a sport if we think one team should beat another based on music (I know no one is saying that right now, but it's just something I've always seen). I just hope T/S have the programs and performances that they love. They're skating for themselves now so they should choose music they want. Of course, I'd love to see another Olympic gold come with it, but we really can't predict how judges and audiences will respond. Carmen never got the respect it deserved from the judges so who the hell knows what'll happen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information