Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir : Just For Us # 45

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I think those who weren't into P&P as a FD were correct, not Tessa. Just because it's her dream program doesn't mean it was the right choice. I think it would border too much on too like Mahler/Umbrellas for them at the time. But that doesn't mean Seasons was the better choice. I still hate that FD and would remain ever so slightly salty about it were it not for this really enjoyable comeback.

I personally think Moonlight Sonata for P&C will have to be amazing - which is probably will be - or it will also feel too close their breakout FD in 2015.

chantilly

^Agreed. I think it will come down to clean skates.
I think both teams are going to
have strong programs.
I do think P and C are playing it a bit safe in the music choice for the FD if indeed it is Moonlight Sonata. However I can't blame them.
It's also their strength and in an Olympic year you either take a risk or play or safe. V and M did in 2010. I personally think MR is a risk since it's considered a bit of a warhorse(even though I don't agree with that assessment).
Anyway I look forward to this season.
So far the music choices seem varied among the top teams.
And so so excited to be attending Canadians live this year.
I was lucky enough to see V and M win gold in Vancouver.
It'll be a delight to see them in Vancouver for their last Canadians.
I expect it to be very special.

chantilly

I can't say for sure but I don't get the feeling that Moonlight Sonata has been used as much in figure skating as has Moulin Rouge has, especially in the last ten years.
But G and G made it a signature piece, much like Bolero did for Torvill and Dean; so I'm speculating teams/skaters were afraid even attemp it. Especially given the circumstances of what happened personally to that team.
MR is popular this season for sure but across a wide berth of teams/ skill levels/disciplines/ levels; so in the end it's not a warhorse and certainly not in dance this season.

Goody2shoes

Well, being this is Olympic year, it shouldn't surprise me that skaters choose music that will highlight/show their (skating) strengths. Nothing wrong with that. Win or lose, still up to judges. My hope is that skates are won by merit, not by politics.

Sonata

The tango from MR is probably overused in ice dance, but I can't recall it being a signature piece for anyone.
The Moonlight Sonata was a signature piece for G&G, but that's also another discipline. I'm sure P&C will have another approach that will mesmerize.

I love what I see of Moulin Rouge so far. My only fear is how well the music cuts will blend together. That was a problem I had with a lot of their programs last cycle and with Latch. One of the strengths of their 2010 FD, imo, was it was a cohesive whole, making it easy to be pulled into from start to finish.

kittysk8ts

One of the strengths of their 2010 FD, imo, was it was a cohesive whole, making it easy to be pulled into from start to finish.

Agree 100%. But is this still possible considering the free dance music rule that there has to be an obvious change in tempo/rhythm?

Goody2shoes

The tango from MR is probably overused in ice dance, but I can't recall it being a signature piece for anyone.
The Moonlight Sonata was a signature piece for G&G, but that's also another discipline. I'm sure P&C will have another approach that will mesmerize.

I love what I see of Moulin Rouge so far. My only fear is how well the music cuts will blend together. That was a problem I had with a lot of their programs last cycle and with Latch. One of the strengths of their 2010 FD, imo, was it was a cohesive whole, making it easy to be pulled into from start to finish.
From the teaser clips for FD, it's hard to form an opinion yet. Maybe after two Olympic cycles of doing programs with classical/piano pieces, feels like (since it may be their last Olympics experience) they're just going full out with everything they are know for - a bit of sweet and spice with flair. I'm agreeing to great music cuts and hoping, better cohesiveness.

they look so much alike! that's why i was startled when i first heard about Moulin Rouge. not for the music, but for the resemblance.

https://i.imgur.com/BOcS5Ru.jpg
http://a9.vietbao.vn/images/vn999/130/2015/02/20150212-nhung-kieu-nu-hollywood-sinh-nam-mui-1.jpg
This one (to me) has the most resemblance to Tessa :p
http://www.sacitaslan.com/nicole-kidman-fotogaleri-16274/12

Goody2shoes

From the teaser clips for FD, it's hard to form an opinion yet. Maybe after two Olympic cycles of doing programs with classical/piano pieces, feels like (since it may be their last Olympics experience) they're just going full out with everything they are know for - a bit of sweet and spice with flair. I'm agreeing to great music cuts and hoping, better cohesiveness.

they look so much alike! that's why i was startled when i first heard about Moulin Rouge. not for the music, but for the resemblance.

http://a9.vietbao.vn/images/vn999/130/2015/02/20150212-nhung-kieu-nu-hollywood-sinh-nam-mui-1.jpg

Goody2shoes

Judy

Can't believe with another world title under their belts and a season full of promising material coming up, some V/M fans are still litigating the perceived slights of 2014.

Like....for god's sake. V/M aren't using the music...and if they continue and decide to use Pride and Prejudice in the future, I doubt Whatever/Nobody's FD to Marina's fifth-priority choreography is going to dissuade them.

It's important to remember that in 2010 D/W were in the same position as V//M were in 2014. I honestly don't feel there was anything crooked going on ... awkward .. yes.

Judy

Not really. Igor was a much more important factor in the coaching team that people tend to forget about. His loss and how Marina managed it was an issue.

Yes we will never know the truth about that situation unfortunately.

chantilly

^
It really did mess things up for both teams pre Olympics
It's much different for MF and Patrice IMO, because Romain is also very important to the team.
They use outside chore a lot for training and Tessa and Scott have B210 which IMO has been enormous in helping them last season.
Marina and Igor didn't have all that.

sap5

New article about them by Beverley Smith.
They sound so enthused about Moulin Rouge!
https://bevsmithwrites.wordpress.com/2017/09/12/virtue-and-moir-the-show-must-go-on/

What a confusing article. Is it saying that the Shibs and C/L will be at autumn classic? And what does this mean?:

“We are super proud of our 2017 programs for sure,” Moir said. “But the one thing we could have improved upon is picking something that we really connect with.

They didn't connect with last year's programs? Or did he mean their 2014 programs?

Last edited:

lauravvv

https://bevsmithwrites.wordpress.com/2017/09/12/virtue-and-moir-the-show-must-go-on/
Thanks a lot, alilou.

What a confusing article. Is it saying that the Shibs and C/L will be at autumn classic?
I doubt that. They are not on the entry list. Most likely the author meant the dance field as a whole, but chose to just mention examples instead of naming all of Tessa and Scott's rivals.

They didn't connect with last year's programs? Or did he mean their 2014 programs?
If the quote is accurate, seems that Scott was indeed talking about last season's programs. I don't believe that they really did not connect with those programs at all. I think what they were trying to say is that they did not choose the music by themselves, so the programs, not being personal choices, did not feel as much (coming) from themselves as the new 'Moulin Rouge' FD which was completely their own choice/idea.

sap5

Goody2shoes

Thanks, alilou :)

“But the one thing we could have improved upon is picking something that we really connect with. We had a piece of music in 2014 that we couldn’t skate to, because people before us had made it special already.”

V/M being honest...and skated Seasons their best effort, they did seem to have trouble to connect then. Moving on, I'm happier because MR is a choice they feel already connected/comfortable/pleased with for this season. (Even if many say it's warhorse piece). I'm curious what piece of music in 2014 they couldn't skate to. Anyone knows?

VGThuy

They mean Seasons as I think their SD was skated very well during that season (with exceptions like that twizzle error in the Team competition).

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
There was mention once that they loved Somewhere in Time but felt it belonged to D/L but I didn't think they even tried to skate to it? There was talk they were working on another program in 2014 but it was scrapped, at the time I recall reading Marina felt they were too old/mature for it and it no longer worked but who knows. The only thing that is really clear is they struggled to find music in 2014 which was perhaps made more difficult by Marina's belief it had to be Russian. BUT whatever one thinks about their choice this year they seem very happy and committed so it will be good.

sap5

They mentioned that they loved "Somewhere in Time" but couldn't skate to it because it was D/L's program in the TSL interview with Dave Lease. They mentioned that they wanted to skate to Romeo & Juliet but Marina told them they were too old for it in the PJ Kwong interview during Worlds 2016.

I'm really good at remembering trivia. ;)

chapis

They mentioned that they loved "Somewhere in Time" but couldn't skate to it because it was D/L's program in the TSL interview with Dave Lease. . ;)

I've already said this but I would be really LOVED they skated Somewhere in Time!!!. Let me send her a message by instagram to suggest it at least for an exhibition :fan:, I'm still on shock that they skated to Justin Bieber last season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information