Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir #48: Long Time Running

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Selfishly, I would LOVE it if Tessa could talk about some of her mental health challenges she's had over the years from being under such a pressure cooker and the tools she's managed to accumulate to overcome them because I'm sure a lot of that mimics real life..athlete or not. She's worked with some really interesting professionals over the years and has a such a wealth of knowledge in this area that comes out here and there but I would love a deep dive. Even on her health and fitness habits and how she's managed to keep her physique despite not being competitive any longer and how she builds motivation. But I don't think that's where her interests lie and I get the feeling she prefers not to go into too much of the above...which is absolutely her choice.

I think she's realizes that this is her peak for earnings and building her brand and that's really what's she's putting her focus on and you can tell how hard she works at it (her schedule looks exhausting). My only issue with her over the last couple of years is as as much I love her, I think she and I have different ideas on empowering women but I think that's a whole separate and complicated discussion. I too had to unfollow her because during this ********* my tolerance for instagram "shilling" is at all time low when I'm stuck in another lockdown (Toronto) and have so many people struggling here right now. I think it's natural that she loses some of skating fanbase but gains a different fanbase to replace them.
That's exactly what is happening to Kurt too. He's really pushing the reverse home mortgage and trying to reach his longtime fan base.

sap5

Selfishly, I would LOVE it if Tessa could talk about some of her mental health challenges she's had over the years from being under such a pressure cooker and the tools she's managed to accumulate to overcome them because I'm sure a lot of that mimics real life..athlete or not. She's worked with some really interesting professionals over the years and has a such a wealth of knowledge in this area that comes out here and there but I would love a deep dive. Even on her health and fitness habits and how she's managed to keep her physique despite not being competitive any longer and how she builds motivation. But I don't think that's where her interests lie and I get the feeling she prefers not to go into too much of the above...which is absolutely her choice.

I think she's realizes that this is her peak for earnings and building her brand and that's really what's she's putting her focus on and you can tell how hard she works at it (her schedule looks exhausting). My only issue with her over the last couple of years is as as much I love her, I think she and I have different ideas on empowering women but I think that's a whole separate and complicated discussion. I too had to unfollow her because during this ********* my tolerance for instagram "shilling" is at all time low when I'm stuck in another lockdown (Toronto) and have so many people struggling here right now. I think it's natural that she loses some of skating fanbase but gains a different fanbase to replace them.
Tessa addresses some of your questions in this conversation with her mental prep coach, JF Menard.

princeton123

I’ve been a Tessa and Scott fan for years and years but I think I finally have to call it quits with Tessa’s latest instagram post. I can’t be the only one who got the worst secondhand embarrassment 🥴

Judy

I’ve been a Tessa and Scott fan for years and years but I think I finally have to call it quits with Tessa’s latest instagram post. I can’t be the only one who got the worst secondhand embarrassment 🥴
Lol I think she’d make a great Wonder Woman in a movie.

VGThuy

OMG, the way that bottle of dry shampoo was edited into that first pic like she’s holding it while doing the Wonder Woman pose.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
Almost as bad as Browning and his reverse mortages.
Yes,but Mr. Browning has severe male-pattern baldness,is not aging gracefully and has a rather scandalous personal life. He has few viable options. On the other hand,Tessa is in her prime.

Something is amiss when the greatest female ice dancer in history is forced to dress up and pedal a third-rate dime store shampoo to pay the bills. I pray she is able to tour soon again.

-BB

Lemonade20

Yes,but Mr. Browning has severe male-pattern baldness,is not aging gracefully and has a rather scandalous personal life. He has few viable options. On the other hand,Tessa is in her prime.

Something is amiss when the greatest female ice dancer in history is forced to dress up and pedal a third-rate dime store shampoo to pay the bills. I pray she is able to tour soon again.

-BB
So true! I thought she would go on to do something amazing like Rochette.

Japanfan

-BB

I doubt there is anything amiss. Rather, the third-rate dime store shampoo probably gave her an offer she couldn't refuse.

starrynight

I think Tessa has to have social network accounts to publicise these deals ... but she is wary of putting her real life out there for consumption, so what you get is an infomercial.

Not that I can blame her. She didn’t have any social network presence until after the break in 2014 and I think that was started as a marketing thing.

Given that Tessa and Scott have received invasive and negative attention online in the past, she is probably justified in being cautious. But at the same time she is obligated to have this social network presence... so what is delivered is extremely guarded.

princeton123

I think Tessa has to have social network accounts to publicise these deals ... but she is wary of putting her real life out there for consumption, so what you get is an infomercial.

Not that I can blame her. She didn’t have any social network presence until after the break in 2014 and I think that was started as a marketing thing.

Given that Tessa and Scott have received invasive and negative attention online in the past, she is probably justified in being cautious. But at the same time she is obligated to have this social network presence... so what is delivered is extremely guarded.

I mean, I guess? But even athletes who are a hundred times more famous than her under much heavier scrutiny with much bigger endorsement deals don’t come across to me as soulless as she does. Like Roger Federer isn’t putting pictures of his family on instagram and there are a lot of brand ambassador posts too, yet he still manages to seem like a human being. Ditto Chloe Kim, Megan Rapinoe, etc etc

Eh, maybe I’m overthinking it. Her online presence has just really bugged me the last couple of years and has made a long time fan just not want to keep up with her at all. Her Instagram looks like a Bachelor runner-up’s feed with the number of random incessant low-end sponcon deals (dry shampoo? Muesli bars? What’s next, laxatives?)

Last edited:

Lemonade20

I mean, I guess? But even athletes who are a hundred times more famous than her under much heavier scrutiny with much bigger endorsement deals don’t come across to me as soulless as she does. Like Roger Federer isn’t putting pictures of his family on instagram and there are a lot of brand ambassador posts too, yet he still manages to seem like a human being. Ditto Chloe Kim, Megan Rapinoe, etc etc

Eh, maybe I’m overthinking it. Her online presence has just really bugged me the last couple of years and has made a long time fan just not want to keep up with her at all.
I agree, there is a way you can share things like grabbing a coffee or a sunset that doesn't have to be revealing. Katelyn Osmond did it really well after retiring and she's also studying. There was the occasional ad, but she never gave up being relatable. Which is why Tessa seems soulless on her social media. It's literally ads after ads. I think she enjoys being in front of the camera, but doesn't realize how much she's alienating her fans.

canbelto

There's a lot of athletes and actresses who definitely plug sponsored products into their IG yet don't come across as an infomercial. Maybe it's the constant use of the white, bright light filters. Idk.

sap5

I agree, there is a way you can share things like grabbing a coffee or a sunset that doesn't have to be revealing. Katelyn Osmond did it really well after retiring and she's also studying. There was the occasional ad, but she never gave up being relatable. Which is why Tessa seems soulless on her social media. It's literally ads after ads. I think she enjoys being in front of the camera, but doesn't realize how much she's alienating her fans.
And yet, she has more fans on instagram now than she ever did. That dry shampoo ad has gotten an incredible amount of likes. Maybe she's just replacing old fans with new ones?

She also said recently that there isn't much going on in her life right now, which is why she decided to post pics of that Karolina Kuras photoshoot. She doesn't have much else to post, which she blames on the pandemic.

Last edited:

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
It’s honestly kind of depressing bc her skating was so emotive and heartfelt to me before, but everything about her now just seems....soulless.
:eek: V&M were always hit and miss for me in terms of their programs ,but wow that is harsh. She put in the time and work and is still getting endorsements on her own 3 years after her retirement. Good for her! I can think of worse things than dressing up like Wonder Woman for a shampoo ad.

Lemonade20

Dressing up like Wonder Woman for a shampoo ad is waaaaaay better than Kurt Browning hustling reverse mortgages, any day. She dresses up, looks fabulous and gets paid. Good for her.
You're so right on that! Although I wonder if Kurt still had hair.....

sap5

Dressing up like Wonder Woman for a shampoo ad is waaaaaay better than Kurt Browning hustling reverse mortgages, any day. She dresses up, looks fabulous and gets paid. Good for her.
Well, Kurt's probably doing it for the money, while Tessa is doing this because she wants to.

Sonata

I think she looks great as Wonder Woman. I thought it was an old Lynda Carter photo. And she obviously has a sense of humour.

My concern is that she may be diluting her brand. I really don’t think she should have taken the sponsorship with The Brick. She must have an aggressive contract with them about the minimum number of posts, because she posts a lot for this company.

Other than that, I don’t blame her for signing up with companies because good for her if she still wields that power three years post-Olympics. I’ve always thought that if she were American, she’d be making twice as much even if she were signing with half the amount of brands. Her Instagram and Twitter were funny when she started - I suspect it is has been delegated to a media rep now. In some ways, I’m kind of glad that she’s not obsessed with showing us her personal life to get validation. Although her dog is super cute.

Winnipeg

Surprised at the KB comments. He is bald but a scandalous personal life? Many men are bald and it is better to be bald than to try and cover with the old hair brush over or a toupee

Lemonade20

Surprised at the KB comments. He is bald but a scandalous personal life? Many men are bald and it is better to be bald than to try and cover with the old hair brush over or a toupee
Well, he did do this and he also went through a "blond" phase sometimes when he had neon yellow hair.

sap5

I think she looks great as Wonder Woman. I thought it was an old Lynda Carter photo. And she obviously has a sense of humour.

My concern is that she may be diluting her brand. I really don’t think she should have taken the sponsorship with The Brick. She must have an aggressive contract with them about the minimum number of posts, because she posts a lot for this company.

Other than that, I don’t blame her for signing up with companies because good for her if she still wields that power three years post-Olympics. I’ve always thought that if she were American, she’d be making twice as much even if she were signing with half the amount of brands. Her Instagram and Twitter were funny when she started - I suspect it is has been delegated to a media rep now. In some ways, I’m kind of glad that she’s not obsessed with showing us her personal life to get validation. Although her dog is super cute.
Doesn't that depend on what her "brand" is? If her brand is "Canadian woman who empowers women and girls" then she continue to take on hundreds of sponsors/make lots of posts without diluting her brand.

Sonata

Doesn't that depend on what her "brand" is? If her brand is "Canadian woman who empowers women and girls" then she continue to take on hundreds of sponsors/make lots of posts without diluting her brand.
I think that’s her personal mission and she tries to choose companies that align with that. I thought she might be trying to focus on health and wellness brands and I suppose The Brick falls under that. I just find it hard to believe she really really loves this company and if you’re the face of too many companies, then it starts to all mesh together and you’re at risk of making people feel saturated and your value commercially is not as high. Not a shade against Tessa, because like others, I enjoy seeing her. I even like the Kurt Browning commercials. I even get nostalgic thinking about his Diet Coke commercials. We don’t often see Canadian skaters get offered commercials on tv anymore.

Judy

And yet, she has more fans on instagram now than she ever did. That dry shampoo ad has gotten an incredible amount of likes. Maybe she's just replacing old fans with new ones?

She also said recently that there isn't much going on in her life right now, which is why she decided to post pics of that Karolina Kuras photoshoot. She doesn't have much else to post, which she blames on the *********.
She is doing her MBA which is a demanding program. Also a very cute pup and isn’t she in a relationship with the hockey player?

Khaleesi

I think that’s her personal mission and she tries to choose companies that align with that. I thought she might be trying to focus on health and wellness brands and I suppose The Brick falls under that. I just find it hard to believe she really really loves this company and if you’re the face of too many companies, then it starts to all mesh together and you’re at risk of making people feel saturated and your value commercially is not as high. Not a shade against Tessa, because like others, I enjoy seeing her. I even like the Kurt Browning commercials. I even get nostalgic thinking about his Diet Coke commercials. We don’t often see Canadian skaters get offered commercials on tv anymore.
Not just The Brick but how does the other sponsors Kashi, Buick and Nivea empower women and girls? That sounds like lip service.
She is doing her MBA which is a demanding program. Also a very cute pup and isn’t she in a relationship with the hockey player?
EMBA. Different from traditional MBA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information