Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir #48: Long Time Running

sap5

The irony of the Buick ad is that Encore is more female focused because it lets me kick open the trunk while my hands are full and order puppy food while I’m driving. But I don't want my hands to be that full, and I don't want to order puppy food while driving. I want to enjoy my drive! The pandemic has shown how women's lives are unbelievably hectic because we are expected to handle so many issues, and lack work/childcare/eldercare flexibility that would make that easier. Not saying that Tessa needs to address this issue, but to me, this is what I think of when I think of the need for female empowerment. Not the idea that I can replace a meal with a Kashi cereal bar because I'm so busy running around.

Also, just because I've got a busy life doesn't mean I don't want a sporty car with features focused on a having a great drive?

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Not necessarily counter to their social values - more like, not really doing much to advance them in a meaningful way.

However, Tessa is enrolled in an MBA program that costs $$$$. So if the fee from the endorsement helps pay her tuition so she can go on to efforts with more impact, maybe it will make a difference....

Sylvia

TBD
May 19, 2020 article:
The partnership offers athletes the choice between 12 business programs, supported by a scholarship funded by the Smith School of Business that covers the full cost of the program and related services.
Wallace said the available academic programs draw parallels between the business world and sports field, allowing athletes to transfer skills including giving and receiving feedback, and integrating teams into their new field.
To qualify for the program, Wallace said athletes must follow the same application process as everyone else who wants to study at Queen’s.
“It’s just that they’ve been identified through the Game Plan system,” Wallace said. “They have to be an athlete in a certain standing to be eligible for the scholarship.”
2 recent videos:

Sportsnet's "Top of HER Game" - Tessa Virtue Looking To Inspire The Next Generation Of Female Athletes (April 5): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XN1ntljLeQ

Breakfast Television - Chatting With Tessa Virtue About Her Partnership With NIVEA (April 22): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpR5TTp303w

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Can I just say, if Tessa learned to do the pose in that photo in an MBA course, I want to take that course :lol:

sap5

I don't see being in a car commercial is counter to their social values? For people whose living is 100% congruent to their social view, kudos.
It's not supposed to be counter. Tessa has stated many times that she very deliberately picks what she involves herself in -- she makes sure the company's mission statement matches her own, and that she does everything with the mandate to empower women and girls. Therefore we would expect that this car commercial would be 100% congruent to her social values. The same could be said of her commercials for The Brick, Nivea, Kashi, Pepsi/Lays, Adidas, Bon Look, Colgate, Hello Fresh, Barbie, etc.

Last edited:

manhn

To me, how do they not empower girls and women? If she was hawking Coke, I would get it. I am not the one upset about Tessa’s Instagram.

Japanfan

It's not supposed to be counter. Tessa has stated many times that she very deliberately picks what she involves herself in -- she makes sure the company's mission statement matches her own, and that she does everything with the mandate to empower women and girls. Therefore we would expect that this car commercial would be 100% congruent to her social values. The same could be said of her commercials for The Brick, Nivea, Kashi, Pepsi/Lays, Adidas, Bon Look, Colgate, Hello Fresh, Barbie, etc.

I would like to know how Barbie in particular empower girls. They may in fact do so, but I don't know anything about the current line of Barbie or how the doll has evolved in the past 40 years or so. Probably there are some colored barbies now, but that is all I can think of. Maybe a variety of costumes, also.

manhn

The Barbie role model program is Mattel's way of honouring women who are breaking boundaries to inspire the next generation of girls. Tessa, like other honourees, was chosen because through hard work, determination and dedication, she shows girls every day that you can be anything," Lisa Perry, brand manager for Mattel Canada, said in a statement.

Khaleesi

Exactly this! It's all just more blah blah blah. And I'm a Tessa fan - when she's skating
To me, how do they not empower girls and women? If she was hawking Coke, I would get it. I am not the one upset about Tessa’s Instagram.
No one is upset over an Instagram this is just a discussion. Obviously some find nothing wanting with Tessa’s SM others do and are pointing out what they find wanting. No harm no foul. I doubt Tessa is cruising FSU and will have her feelings hurt. And you’ve got to be kidding if you’re asking how selling mattresses, face cream, cereal, sneakers and whatever is not empowering to women like what? I guess it’s empowering for women to have products to minimize wrinkles.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Apparently (per a post above) she is hawking Pepsi/Lays. This is wrong on so many levels I hardly know where to begin, let alone that it has nothing to do with empowering girls and women.

Looking perfectly coiffed and made up and saying how nice it is to be able to read in bed (or some such) while she takes a cute little nibble from a cute little donut does not empower women or girls. It feeds them the message that this is something to achieve. Well at least she's reading. And don't even get me started on Wonder Woman and her cheap dry shampoo. Talk about teaching that appearance is what's important.

manhn

I meant Coke due to its ties to the voter oppression legislation in Georgia, not due its healthy attributes. Heh

I don’t mind elite athletes hawking junk food. All in moderation and such...

sap5

I would like to know how Barbie in particular empower girls. They may in fact do so, but I don't know anything about the current line of Barbie or how the doll has evolved in the past 40 years or so. Probably there are some colored barbies now, but that is all I can think of. Maybe a variety of costumes, also.
Tessa has mentioned this several times: https://barbie.mattel.com/en-us/about/dream-gap.html

I find the fact that Barbie only donated $250,000 towards this initiative embarrassing.

Last edited:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Sure you’re not upset...
Actually I'm more disappointed.
And no more upset than I usually am when confronted with the bullshit that we're all (as in everyone) fed in advertising, and the extra helping of bullshit laid on women and girls.

sap5

I meant Coke due to its ties to the voter oppression legislation in Georgia, not due its healthy attributes. Heh

I don’t mind elite athletes hawking junk food. All in moderation and such...
I mind it. Childhood obesity is a serious problem, and lots of young girls look up to her as a role model. If this was the only sponsorship opportunity available to her, then I’d get it. But it wasn’t.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
This thread is interesting. Tessa’s not doing anything different than most people who are visible on some level as far as Instagram goes, which is far and away what the target audience exclusively uses.

I know endless people in Miami, NYC, and LA that have done much less than Virtue has in her life yet all of their photos are staged and (semi)-professional, and/or people are busy trying to convince others that they are ‘influencers’. If Tessa’s getting paid for all of this, no matter how dumb it might seem to hardcore skating fans, at least she still has opportunities.

And ETA- I don’t know many people whose social media personas match up with what you get in real life.

mjb52

I got drawn into this because I'm interested in the use of social media generally. As someone who probably followed skating least closely during the V/M era and who isn't invested in Tessa personally one way or the other, so is reading this thread from a somewhat neutral perspective, I think the post @canbelto linked to is interesting not because there is anything wrong with it per se but because I agree that it comes across as inauthentic, so it leaves me wondering whether it might just work better if it took a different approach, both for her and the brand.

Like it would be formulaic in its own way if the bed was super messy and the donuts were half eaten with crumbs all over and the book was trashier, but I think that would actually be more in line with the approach that you see on twitter where Wendy's and Arby's will get into a (probably somewhat feigned) twitter war or whatever. I think informal is in rn, although I would really be interested to know if there are behind-the-scenes guidelines and whether some of that is staged or whether brands truly are just putting millennials and Gen Z kids in charge of their social media and letting them run wild.

Last edited:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I'm fine with Tessa making as much money as she can, selling whatever she wants. It's the BS that she's all about empowering women and girls while she does it is what I have trouble with. Some of the brands she chooses, and the way they're presented, are actually counterproductive to that message.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
A book about women looking for a husbands in a time when women had few options. Sort of an odd choice if the point is to empower girls/women.
So now Pride & Prejudice is a casualty of cancel culture? This is out of control.
And ETA- I don’t know many people whose social media personas match up with what you get in real life
I agree. A few lady acquaintances from the country club airbrush their photos so heavily they become plastic, unrecognizable, and rather alien on their Facebook page.

Fortunately I never have been tempted to succumb to such desperately pathetic measures.

-BB

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
A book about women looking for a husbands in a time when women had few options. Sort of an odd choice if the point is to empower girls/women.
Or maybe one of her favourite books? She has stated before how much she loves that story and wanted to skate to the music, Scott and Marina nixed it.

And then there is what sap5 wrote...

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I don't think anyone is cancelling her? People are just having a discussion about the content she is posting on her social media.
No one is canceling Tessa, just questioning the social media content she puts out. It's very ad-heavy, which is why some were saying they can't follow her anymore.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
No one is canceling Tessa, just questioning the social media content she puts out. It's very ad-heavy, which is why some were saying they can't follow her anymore.
Right, but at the end of the day it's her personal social media, just as everyone else either has or is taking the time to follow and look at in the first place. I thought the Wonder Woman photos were cute-- regardless of what she was advertising. It's a simple unfollow or mute to make the stuff disappear for her or anyone else if it's bothersome or cringeworthy that she's inserting paid opportunities into her page. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information