Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir #48: Long Time Running

reut

Still yet to listen to Lilah's talk, but Tessa wrote a super lovely message about it:

Lilah, my little sis - you never cease to amaze me! Thanks for the wildly thoughtful questions, your enlightened wisdom, and your friendship. I cannot explain the pride I feel watching you flourish and thrive both on and off the ice.

Can’t wait to interview YOU someday

https://twitter.com/tessavirtue/status/1288814595054993413

Sylvia

TBD
has anyone seen scott's FD work with hubbell/donohue?
H/D debuted their FD in the ISP Points Challenge earlier this month: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...e-sep-and-oct-2020.107555/page-9#post-5872411
Scroll down to "Available on the U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone Tuesday, Oct. 6 (2nd Opportunity)" and click on the Senior Free Dance (2nd Opportunity) WATCH link (H/D are the last team in the video).

In other Scott news: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...g-to-cbc-this-fall.107261/page-6#post-5871546

ETA that Tessa hosted this one-hour charity event last month:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
DIGGING DEEP PODCAST #12
TESSA VIRTUE: PRACTICING SUCCESS AND FAILURE
The most decorated figure skater in Olympic history on rising to the moment, overcoming defeat, doubt and toxic environments, how she was able to turn her talent into her dream job, and why she's living her best life now—even after the Olympic Games.
^^^ Well worth a listen! :)

ETA more recent Tessa links:

CBC Asks Tessa Virtue for healthy living tips heading into winter:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/lond...thy-living-tips-heading-into-winter-1.5793041

From ca.hellomagazine:

ETA #2 - found one more podcast (11/18/20):
Andrew Moses talks with Tessa Virtue, the most decorated figure skater in Olympic history. From childhood dream to iconic success, at the PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics Tessa alongside her ice dance partner of 22 years won gold medals in both the ice dance and team events becoming the first figure skaters to own five career Olympic medals. Tessa's story is one of determination, focus, innovation—and trust in a championship support system around her as she soared to unprecedented heights.

Last edited:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
DIGGING DEEP PODCAST #12
The most decorated figure skater in Olympic history on rising to the moment, overcoming defeat, doubt and toxic environments, how she was able to turn her talent into her dream job, and why she's living her best life now—even after the Olympic Games.
^^^ Well worth a listen! :)

ETA more recent Tessa links:

CBC Asks Tessa Virtue for healthy living tips heading into winter:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/lond...thy-living-tips-heading-into-winter-1.5793041

From ca.hellomagazine:

ETA #2 - found one more podcast (11/18/20):
Andrew Moses talks with Tessa Virtue, the most decorated figure skater in Olympic history. From childhood dream to iconic success, at the PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics Tessa alongside her ice dance partner of 22 years won gold medals in both the ice dance and team events becoming the first figure skaters to own five career Olympic medals. Tessa's story is one of determination, focus, innovation—and trust in a championship support system around her as she soared to unprecedented heights.
The Digging Deep interview is really worth listening to, whether or not you're a Tessa fan.

sap5

DIGGING DEEP PODCAST #12
Sylvia, what makes this podcast well worth a listen? Seems like she’s talking about the same things she’s always taking about?

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I thought he got her to dig deeper (sorry not sorry ;)) into her standard responses. I think the further Tessa gets from her skating life the more little details come out if she is talking to the right person who, ahem, digs deeper :slinkaway

Alilou

Ubercavorter
@sap5 sorry, I'm not @Sylvia, but I found it worth listening to because I felt I was hearing the real Tessa, not the Tessa who is trying on her public persona and/or the Tessa hawking something (eg Kashi in the shorter interviews Sylvia listed) which is pretty much all we hear these days. I found she had some quite valuable life lessons to share. The woman is no dummy, and when you get to hear her just talking about her experience that is revealed.

Last edited:

sap5

@sap5 sorry, I'm not @Sylvia, but I found it worth listening to because I felt I was hearing the real Tessa, not the Tessa who is trying on her public persona and/or the Tessa hawking something (eg Kashi in the shorter interviews Sylvia listed) which is pretty much all we hear these days. I found she had some quite valuable life lessons to share. The woman is no dummy, and when you get to hear just talking about her experience that is revealed.
I don’t understand what you mean by the bolded above. How is Tessa hawking something not the “real Tessa”? She herself says that she’s never just posing with a product, but instead carefully examines the mission statement of every brand she partners with to ensure it aligns with her mission to empower women. Regarding public persona, she’s been in the public for 10years already, so there’s nothing to “try on,” plus she’s always said she is authentic all the time. So isn’t every interview/appearance/ad “the real Tessa?”

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I don’t understand what you mean by the bolded above. How is Tessa hawking something not the “real Tessa”? She herself says that she’s never just posing with a product, but instead carefully examines the mission statement of every brand she partners with to ensure it aligns with her mission to empower women. Regarding public persona, she’s been in the public for 10years already, so there’s nothing to “try on,” plus she’s always said she is authentic all the time. So isn’t every interview/appearance/ad “the real Tessa?”
Yes, ok, I do get what you mean. But it almost always seems to be about promoting a product these days, even if it's a product she herself would use. And I know that she says she's being authentic, but it doesn't mean it's true. Not that she's lying, but that it's the best she can do in the moment. I remember being called fake when I was young, and they were right, though I would have vehemently denied it. I had to grow into a real authenticity and I believe it takes most of a lifetime for us to grow out of our social conditioning and find our true voice. In that I do think Tessa's ahead of the curve. I think Tessa, for obvious reasons, has been acutely aware for almost all her life that what she says in public matters and so she is quite careful in what she says, quite measured in how she speaks. In this Digging Deeper interview I found someone more open, more relaxed, more willing to be self-revealing, and I really enjoyed that.

manhn

I listened to the podcast last weekend and I thought there were quite a few interesting observations she made (and she is just really an eloquent and well-spoken individual) about life. How she will now need to interact with individuals/co-workers/employers/employees where their ties to their work/employer will not be as single-minded as she was accustomed to--not only herself as an athlete, but everyone she met in the skating world had that same passion, devotion to excellence. How she manages expectations is something she knows she will need to work on. I really enjoyed it.

Sylvia

TBD

Watch Live [Tuesday] Dec. 1 at 10pm ET / 9pm CT / 8:30pm MT

Food, fun and celebrities, it’s the holiday special nobody was expecting, but the one that will have the entire country talking.

Tessa Virtue hosts, along with NBA superstar Jamal Murray, Nick Nurse, Max Kerman of Arkells, Max Domi, Wayne Simmonds, Jully Black, plus some surprise guests.

Bringing together the world of sport, music and entertainment. A holiday feast like no other.

Home for the Holidays, presented by President’s Choice®.

Japanfan

But it almost always seems to be about promoting a product these days, even if it's a product she herself would use.

And she gets a huge amount of $$ to hawk products, regardless of whether or not she would use them. Most recently in The Brick commercial.

Sonata

I’m afraid she may be diluting her brand by signing up with so many companies, but I can’t blame her. She’s probably at the height of her earning potential right now and I bet she’s still making much less than she would if she were American.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here from the Ice Dance Hall thread:
Scott Moir is planning to open an elite ice dance school in London, Ontario: https://twitter.com/CKNW/status/1352322569853165577
Link to listen to the Jan. 21st podcast (~15-minute mark is when he mentions "starting an elite ice dance school here in the London area"): https://omny.fm/shows/the-shift/myhomeiscanada-throwback-thursday-16
After that, Scott also brought up his postponed wedding ("... I don't know if it will be this summer now, probably next, and starting our own family").

In the first part (7 mins.) of the podcast Scott talked about his "business partnership" with Tessa, reminisced fondly about their career, how strange it's been not to see each other for so long because they've been in "separate bubbles" and that "ultimately we had other goals that we wanted to accomplish personally..."

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I love Virtue/Moir but actually unfollowed Tessa on IG because her account is pretty much a running infomercial.
I have a Canadian friend who jokes about this. She doesn't follow skating but says Tessa is pretty much unavoidable because of all the ads.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
I was curious. Tessa is still listed as one of the 36 people Scott follows if you check from his page. If you check who follows her from her page, he doesn’t show up though. I presume it’s an Instagram glitch.

Fans are always trying to deduce things from whom follows who on Instagram, but Instagram is glitchy and I never see the point of trying to use it to determine anything about how people do or do not see or view each other offline.

canbelto

I was curious. Tessa is still listed as one of the 36 people Scott follows if you check from his page. If you check who follows her from her page, he doesn’t show up though. I presume it’s an Instagram glitch.

Fans are always trying to deduce things from whom follows who on Instagram, but Instagram is glitchy and I never see the point of trying to use it to determine anything about how people do or do not see or view each other offline.
Yeah he didn't show up as a follower on her page.

Judy

Congratulations to Tessa and Scott on their appointment to the Order of Canada!

That is awesome. The scandal though about this now former governor general is awful though. Right now everytime I see a reference to her 🤢. That doesn’t have anything to do with their Order of Canada though.

canbelto

I think the issue with Tessa's SM is so many of her posts seem like OBVIOUS advertisements. I know being an influencer means many posts will be sponsored, but other elite athletes with a big following sprinkle the sponsored posts with the regular posts. With that being said, her doggo sure is cute.

sap5

I think the issue with Tessa's SM is so many of her posts seem like OBVIOUS advertisements. I know being an influencer means many posts will be sponsored, but other elite athletes with a big following sprinkle the sponsored posts with the regular posts. With that being said, her doggo sure is cute.
If posting nothing but ads actually caused her to lose followers on SM, maybe she would change it. It seems however, that either very few are unfollowing, or that new people keep following to replace those who left.

elisa_p

Selfishly, I would LOVE it if Tessa could talk about some of her mental health challenges she's had over the years from being under such a pressure cooker and the tools she's managed to accumulate to overcome them because I'm sure a lot of that mimics real life..athlete or not. She's worked with some really interesting professionals over the years and has a such a wealth of knowledge in this area that comes out here and there but I would love a deep dive. Even on her health and fitness habits and how she's managed to keep her physique despite not being competitive any longer and how she builds motivation. But I don't think that's where her interests lie and I get the feeling she prefers not to go into too much of the above...which is absolutely her choice.

I think she's realizes that this is her peak for earnings and building her brand and that's really what's she's putting her focus on and you can tell how hard she works at it (her schedule looks exhausting). My only issue with her over the last couple of years is as as much I love her, I think she and I have different ideas on empowering women but I think that's a whole separate and complicated discussion. I too had to unfollow her because during this pandemic my tolerance for instagram "shilling" is at all time low when I'm stuck in another lockdown (Toronto) and have so many people struggling here right now. I think it's natural that she loses some of skating fanbase but gains a different fanbase to replace them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information