The Dance Hall 8: Join the Maskerade 2020-2021

lauravvv

Angelique Abachkina and Pavel Drozd teamed up and are skating together in Moscow.
There were some rumor about it, but now we got a kind of confirmation based on Petr Durnev’s Instagram bio
Thank you for the info, Ka3sha. Good news that Abachkina is skating again - I was a bit sad when she supposedly retired at such a young age. She was/is not the best skater, but she was a joy to watch because of her vibrancy and performative abilities.

formaWow. And the former partner? Retired?
I would also like to know - that is, if you mean Konkina. They seemed like a promising new team for a time.

Peepsquick

I actually was very disappointed when Drozd was paired up with Konkina instead of Abachkina. I thought that they would be an excellent match.
Now, does it mean that Angélique has been released by the French Fed?

Colonel Green

From Jordan Cowan, a clip of the new Canadian/South Korean-New Zealand team we haven’t really seen anything of yet (including which of his countries they’re aiming to represent, though I’d assume Korea as that’s who he skated for previously).

alj5

Cute video of Lloyd Jones (ice coach online on youtube) and Max Spodriev attempting jumps. Max is great!

litenkyckling

So according to I.A.M fb page Allison Reed and Saulius Ambrulevicius are joining the Montreal team.
I think they were supposed to join after Worlds but then 2020 happened and they've only just managed to get to into Canada - slightly disappointed though because it means less teams with Marina choreo!

Sylvia

TBD
I think they were supposed to join after Worlds but then 2020 happened and they've only just managed to get to into Canada - slightly disappointed though because it means less teams with Marina choreo!
Reed/Ambrulevicius' ISU bio says their current coaches are Maurizio Margaglio (in Finland) & Romain Haguenauer and their choreographer for this season's programs is Massimo Scali: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00103181.htm

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
@marbri, I'm not disputing your info :) - their move to Montreal is also confirmed here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ06rA8Mvby/

I know R/A were in Finland with Margaglio for a while last year (was he in Moscow with them for Rostelecom Cup?). Their ISU bio (last updated 27/12/2020) now includes Haguenauer's name which may have been a recent addition.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
The Taschler siblings' 5-min. interview via the Czech figure skating federation's Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CJtsjgDq4Hp/

Article based on their interview:
Machine translated excerpts:
The best Czech dance couple Natálie and Filip Taschler shone with triumph at the traditional Nebelhorn Trophy in Oberstdorf in September, but then his coronavirus interrupted his well-started season. At first, they lost the planned races because of him, and at the end of November they fell ill themselves. Due to that, they could not start at the December Republic [Four Nationals] Figure Skating Championships.
Covid-19 deprived them of their physical condition and they still get tired faster than before. In other respects, however, the forced break benefited. "Covid must have helped us heal some of the injuries we had. We had more time to rest. The lifts and skating work much better. No ankle, knee pain, everything is much better," Taschler praised.
They spent Christmas in the Czech Republic with their family and underwent online drought training, but due to the further closure of winter stadiums in the Czech Republic, they returned to [Egna] Italy on New Year's Eve. Under the guidance of Mattea Zanni, they train so that they can race again in a month.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
@marbri, I'm not disputing your info :) - their move to Montreal is also confirmed here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ06rA8Mvby/

I know R/A were in Finland with Margaglio for a while last year (was he in Moscow with them for Rostelecom Cup?). Their ISU bio (last updated 27/12/2020) now includes Haguenauer's name which may have been a recent addition.

Well, whoever is responsible for their FD's upgrades this year, it was magic at Rostelecom.

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here from the Japanese news thread in GSD...

Sad news for fans of the young Japanese ice dance team of Utana Yoshida & Shingo Nishiyama (link to their ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00107893.htm) - he announced their split today on his Instagram account in English and Japanese: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKK6Omfpq_X/
Thank you for supporting Utana and me.
Today, there is an important announcement.
Utana and I decided to separate into our own pathways.
I really appreciate Utana for giving me precious experience and memories for last two seasons.
I want to say thanks to my coaches, the Federation, my family and our fans.
I am going to continue icedance. I’m very happy if you keep supporting me!
Their joint account has a message in Japanese: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKK6LC7JwL9/
Machine translation:
Thank you for supporting the Yoshida Nishiyama group so far. This time, Utana Yoshida and Shingo Nishiyama have decided to dissolve the partnership due to the difference in direction between the two. The Yoshida Nishiyama group did their best thanks to the great support of the fans, coaches, federations and families. I'm really thankful to you. The two will take different paths from now on, but we will make further efforts based on our experience so far. We hope that you will continue to watch over us with a warm feeling.

Dobre

Just updating this thread with the news that Papadakis & Cizeron have decided not to compete at Worlds.

Which, of course, won't matter if there is no Worlds; but for the moment I'll post as if Worlds and the qualification rules for next year are unchanged. This would imply that both the second & third French teams would need to qualify for the FD at Worlds, with one team finishing top twelve, in order to earn France a second berth for the Olympic season.

Cherub721

YEAH!
What was the placement needed to get one Olympic spot in 2018? I'm not sure the French teams can manage even that. L&LG could, but it seems they haven't qualified to the team.

Any idea whom Spain would select? I don't even remember who was chosen for Worlds 2020 and I don't think either team has competed in public this year.

mjb52

Smart and Diaz were chosen for Worlds last year. Hurtado had an injury pretty soon after getting back on ice in July or whenever that happened for Zhulin's squad and went back to Spain for surgery and recovery. She got back to Russia some time in the late fall I think but I don't know how competition ready she and Khaliavin are.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
What was the placement needed to get one Olympic spot in 2018?

The last country to qualify through 2017 Worlds is Turkey (17th by Agafonova / Ulcar). However since Denmark later gave up their spot due to Fournier-Beaudry's citizenship issue, Spain (18th by Smart / Diaz) got the spot.

Part of the qualification rule has been changed since then. At 2017 Worlds France earned 2 spots with one team not advanced to FD (P/C 2nd, L/LG 21st). Had the current rule been in place then, they would have to send a team other than P/C to 2017 Nebelhorn to get that second spot.

Dobre

What was the placement needed to get one Olympic spot in 2018? I'm not sure the French teams can manage even that.
Galyavieva & Thauron were 12th at Europeans last year.

One of those teams was Papadakis & Cizeron. And one was a second Spanish team, which there will not be at Worlds.

Canada, USA, and China have 6-7 teams that could probably defeat Galyavieva & Thauron.

Top 17 is doable.

Need to stay ahead of Germany/Japan/Korea.

All of this is assuming a fully attended Worlds. If Canada pulls out, it would be much easier for one of the French teams. If another country pulls out or teams drop out due to covid exposure, a 2nd French team's chances could also go way up.

I have absolutely no idea what Spain will do. Has either team posted an FD online anywhere?

Dobre

Regarding Spain, Smart/Diaz have like a half-year head start on Hurtado/Khaliavin in terms of training and readiness; barring the former having some kind of injury, I can’t see why you wouldn’t send them.
Because we haven't even seen what Smart & Diaz look like yet?

Papadakis & Cizeron have had a whole season, and they aren't ready.

VGThuy

Scott Moir is planning to open an elite ice dance school in London, Ontario: https://twitter.com/CKNW/status/1352322569853165577
A rival school to Gadbois? I can't wait!

Now I want Detroit to come back from the ashes and create a super school. Yaro/Yuri to teach fundamentals and basics to skaters when they're young and keep the elites on track, Igor/Pasquale to do elite training, TES tweaking, and choreo, and Marina to edit it to make it even better (lord knows she can't choreograph from scratch but she knows how to polish and edit). Ok, and then I wake up as none of that is ever going to happen.

VGThuy

I like that I can't quite tell if this is sarcastic or not. I think it is, but I'm not sure. That is the law school training showing.
No sarcasm at all. I like it when there are multiple schools of ice dance. It means the sport/discipline is alive and healthy with participants, and we will have real competition and diverging styles and schools. I think more variety, the better.

mjb52

I agree but I can see this causing some drama so that's why I was wondering. Hopefully everyone has let the 2018 Olympics go, after all that is what figure skating fans are best at!!! (that IS sarcasm) :)

sap5

A rival school to Gadbois? I can't wait!

Now I want Detroit to come back from the ashes and create a super school. Yaro/Yuri to teach fundamentals and basics to skaters when they're young and keep the elites on track, Igor/Pasquale to do elite training, TES tweaking, and choreo, and Marina to edit it to make it even better (lord knows she can't choreograph from scratch but she knows how to polish and edit). Ok, and then I wake up as none of that is ever going to happen.
Not sure if it will be a rival school or part of IAM. When Gadbois first mentioned IAM, they talked about helping students start schools of their own.

RoseRed

Exciting! I noticed he was listed as one of FB&S' coaches at Challenge, but wasn't listed for L&L.
At Challenge, they were listing coaches and choreographers together. I believe Scott helped with the FD choreo for FB/S and that's why he was listed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information